F5 Networks Network Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

F5 Networks Network Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Feb 12, 2017

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Seattle, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

Im just in the first steps of the process.
    First they send you a link to answer 10 technical questions. The platform consist they give you an answer and they record a video with your answer. THey give you an average of 1:30min to answer.
    They ask me one behaviorial question and the other 9 were technical.
    Two weeks later, they send me a request for a phone screening.

Interview Questions

• Port and protocol used by DNS
      Commando to FTP
      What is a tcp connection
      what is the netmask
      1 Answer

Network Support Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Liberty Lake, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Liberty Lake, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

The initial digital interview consisted of answering about ten questions that I had to record by video. The recordings were facilitated by a web service that allowed thirty seconds for me to read the question and contemplate an answer, then record the answer. Each response was given a fixed time to respond, thirty seconds for short answers up to about three minutes for longer responses depending on the question, and could not be redone or reviewed. The first question was a warm-up, to practice the format and presentation. I was allowed to review and rerecord the first response for practice. The whole process lasted about fifteen minutes.

Interview Questions

• How comfortable are you with Unix or Unix-like operating systems?   1 Answer
    • How does a TCP connection initiate?   2 Answers
    • Which ports do DNS queries use?   1 Answer
    • Where can you access log files on a Linux operating system?   1 Answer

Network Support Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Seattle, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

1. Technical Screening

The interview process started with a technical screening video. During this process they sent me a link that took me to a website where I was asked a series of questions, a few examples being.

What FTP commands are used to upload and download files? (put, get)
        Can you describe TCP handshake? (SYN, SYN-ACK, ACK)
        Are you comfortable with using CLI? (Yes)
        What port is DNS? (Port 53)
        What is the difference between UDP and TCP? (TCP is connection-oriented, UDP is not)

2. Phone Screening

About a week after this was sent in, I was emailed for a phone screening with the F5 recruiter that I was working with. On this call she seemed to just be gauging my interest, looking to see what salary range I wanted, and several questions about my background in tech. At the end of this call she advised that she would like to schedule an interview at their building in the next week or so, and after a few days we were able to schedule this out.

3. In Person Interview

The in person interview is a 2-3 hour interview that begins with a more grueling technical screening to see if you are a better fit for a NSE 1 or NSE 2 position. It consisted questions about Linux (e.g. how to view file permissions, change file permissions, how to view open ports, reading files) and then the interviewer wrote some advanced commands on a whiteboard and asked if you could step through what they would be doing. My main takeaways from this exercise was to know that WC and XARGS are. After the Linux questions we ran through several scenarios with a diagram of an existing network, and answered questions about how to fix various issues with traffic not exiting or moving correctly between a WAN. Main takeaway from this is to go in knowing how switching, routing, firewalls, routing protocols, and other general Layer 2 to Layer 4/5 technologies work so that you can troubleshoot and answer questions about a network. Most of this knowledge you can get from a Net+ exam. Not being in a network administrator or engineer position before I did struggle with some of the network and Linux questions, but did my homework beforehand to have a general idea of all of this.

The second step in the in person interview was to site down with two of the support managers and find out why you would be a good fit. Most of the questions were traditional (e.g. give an example of a time that you had to deal with a difficult end user, have you used ticketing systems before, why are you leaving your current job, where do you see yourself going from here), but the question that did stick out is that we played 20 questions toward the end of this interview. This was actually my favorite part of any interview that I've had, as I feel that it does show an underlying skill for troubleshooting something you may not know anything about. Just be sure to ask the right questions, and operate in sort of a binary search tree manner. Use questions to eliminate the most items possible right out of the gate.

The third interview was with the VP of services and this was similar to the previous, though maybe at a higher level. I took the time to ask him questions about F5, the future of the network security industry, and the future of support that I genuinely wanted his opinions on as a successful individual in the industry.

4. Post Interview

After the interview I met with my F5 recruiter who walked me out of the building. A day or so later she contacted me advised they would like to extend an offer, but for the NSE 1 position instead of NSE 2. I had been expecting that after the in person technical interview, so I was excited about the offer. It has taken about a week for the referral and background check to complete, which is fairly normal in my experience.

Interview Questions

• You've replaced the firewall in your network. Before replacing the firewall you double-checked all configurations against the existing firewall to ensure they match exactly. However, when you perform the replacement no traffic is able to get out to the internet. What would/could be the issue on your network?   1 Answer

Network Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Applied via a reference. Normal process, online app, phone screen, in person interview. Strong showing by f5 nice offices, smart people. Overall very professional approach and comportment. It seemed as if there was some confusion about who I was to see, and what types of questions they were going to ask. Many folks asked the same questions over and over. I liked the folks I met. Seemed stressed but focused.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle competing priorities? How do you handle stress?   1 Answer

Network Engineer III Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Seattle, WA) in January 2016.

Interview

A F5 recruiter emailed me about two weeks after I applied online. After a quick chat they setup a technical phone screen with the team lead. A couple days later the recruiter emailed to say they wanted to setup an onsite interview.

The interview was about 2 hours long with the team the position was in and a couple 1 on 1s. Everyone was pretty laid back, but professional. It was a good experience. They asked plenty of technical questions, but were not looking for perfection on a whiteboard, just that you know the subjects.

A few days later they contacted me to extend an offer that I accepted.

Interview Questions

• Show the SSL handshake.   Answer Question
    • Explain in detail what happens when a client makes its first request on a network that just powered up.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lowell, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Lowell, MA) in October 2015.

Interview

I have 15+ years in customer support from storage to servers and applied for the NSE 2 position and made it through the grueling technical interview only to be passed up for a 1:1 interview (felt comfortable with how answered questions) . I saw a NSE 1 position became available and figured that as I was considered for the NSE 2 that maybe I'd be considered for the NSE 1 and this time I didn;t even make the technical interview. I wish there was some consistency in the application process and the technical questions were intense seemed like interviewing to be president

Interview Questions

• The questions were heavily networking and linux,

Define tcp connection
      Describe ping
      4 way close
      6 flags in tcp header
      Submask
      Dns port #

Define Inode
      Location of messages in linux
      Examples of UFS
      Define NTP
      Define QTERM

Couple active directory questions
      Answer Question

Network Support Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at F5 Networks in November 2015.

Interview

2 technical interviews, one building upon the other. This is the same as most major I.T. tech. interview processes. 1 phone call from the first screener followed by contact from a mid level H.R. person, followed by a call from 1 or 2 team members for a competency test / interview. Personality match probably counts as much as doing well on the actual questions.

Interview Questions

• Standard Type of Networking Questions followed by generic second technical interview. Advice is to know fundamentals and study the flagship products to learn about their major operating system and its commands.   1 Answer

Network Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at F5 Networks.

Interview

Deeply Technical and a lot of customer support questions on how to deal with tough customers. Lots of Linux questions so you must know your Linux fundamentals as well as knowing the OSI model thoroughly and how to set up a basic network and how to troubleshoot it.

Enterprise Network Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at F5 Networks in December 2014.

Interview

Applied online, took a long time to get the phone screen scheduled because the HR personel was on vacation. Finally, had a phone interview after 3 weeks of application. It was like a typical screening interview touching various topics on networking and system (linux). Then I flew to Seattle and had 1:1. The onsite was 2 hours technical and then managerial/behavioral of 30 mins each.
    The good things is not only they pay for the flight but also the taxi, meal etc.

Anonymous Employee in Lowell, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Lowell, MA) in September 2014.

Interview

I had applied online for this position and I got a call from the company recruiter the following week asking me details about my background. Once that was done, he emailed me a list of technical questions which I had to answer and email back within 30 minutes. They are pretty straight forward if you know your concepts. The following week, I was asked to come over for an in-person interview with the entire team.

Every person who interviewed me was very friendly, professional and had little humour as well. I felt extremely comfortably the whole time. The first person had a technical screening worth 75 minutes or so, after which I was interviewed by two people from the team discussing mostly about my background and work experience. After that I had a brief conversation with the vice-president of the company, who was also very friendly. Overall it was an excellent experience. Every one at F5 Networks handled the whole process with great professionalism, unlike few others I had interviewed for before.

Interview Questions

• Questions were very detailed. One part was related to networking were quite straight forward if you know your stuff. All the questions pertained to OSI model (L2 to L4), HTTP and SSL. Make sure you know these concepts thoroughly. The other part was all based on Unix and Linux CLI. They were all mostly basic questions and I was able to get through the entire interview process comfortably.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Very convenient. I was happy with the offer provided to me.