F5 Networks Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 16, 2017

3.2

Technical(Software Engineering) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Seattle, WA) in April 2016.

Interview

Round 1 - Phone conversation with product manager, nothing out of the box with him trying to better understand my qualifications and interests

Round 2 (On-site round) - Met/Interviewed with 5 people and the on-site process lasted for 3.5 hours (including a 1-hour lunch with the manager I interviewed with on phone)

Round 3 (Online hackerrank test) - A typical if you have given a similar one before. Keep a close tab on the time though. I couldn't complete mine.

Interview Questions

• Signed NDA, but be prepared to answer questions about your projects in more detail than ever before. Also, you can expect white-boarding for problems similar to the projects listed on your resume/CV. Basically, they want to see how honest you are on your resume and how well it fits into their requirements.   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at F5 Networks.

Interview

asinine impersonal lazy

If you've ever had a phone discussion with a recruiter from Google, or Apple, or just about any tech company you're familiar with how they like to find good candidates and match them with teams that fit their skill sets. Recruiters that actually put a little effort into their job.

Don't expect that with F5. F5 recruiters aren't even going to send you and email. They have an assistant who will do that. The assistant will schedule a time for a phone interview and that's about it.

Then you'll have a phone interview where you are expected to write code on an online whiteboard. This is pretty common practice these days, but that isn't what is really going to happen. Your interview is likely to just hang up on you because he doesn't think you could write the code by looking at your resume.

You can assure your interviewer that you read the job description and you have extensive experienced in every major area the job description lists. Give examples, sure, that might help. You can assure them that you you can work with the programming language he mentions. But you should just save your effort and pride and just say "Thank you. Have a nice day." because they couldn't be bothered to let you even attempt the coding exercise you were told to prepare for because they can't fathom how someone with your resume and experience could even begin to use the specific language they like to use.

The recruiter will still not email you.

Interview Questions

• Do you have experience with network protocol development and implementation?   1 Answer

Network Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lowell, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Lowell, MA) in December 2012.

Interview

Phone Screen followed by in person interview. This will be a panel interview over the phone and in person. Basically you will interview with about 7 people in the span of 3 hours. The questions are detailed and grueling, but they are only probing to see if you might be better suited for a more advanced position (ENE or EAE)

Interview Questions

• Linux CLI questions and Extremely detailed TCP/IP stack questions, HTTP questions and SSL questions. Know these backwards and forwards.   Answer Question

Negotiation

E-mail. Very easy.

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chertsey, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Chertsey, England (UK)) in November 2013.

Interview

I got an initial email from the recruiter (HR), then scheduled with the same HR employee a quick 30 minutes interview, with simple and less-simple technical questions - no personality test. I did well, so I qualified for the second round: One hour of tougher technical questions with a support engineer. This is CCNA level and beyond (all 7 layers of the OSI model and the full TCP/IP stack) plus Linux.

Network Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Seattle, WA) in October 2007.

Interview

First, the head hunter had a list of questions to ask me, and I knew the answers to them. Then the corporate recruiter called me and asked me the same questions. Then I was called in for an interview. I interviewed the corporate recruiter, the hiring manager, and then a team

Interview Questions

• Describe the process of making a TCP connection from a browser to a server through routers, switches, and a load balancer   1 Answer
    • Explain how tcpdump works and what the outputs mean.   2 Answers

Negotiation

I was offered almost enough money. I asked for more. They came back with a counter offer which was good enough. Know the market.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Singapore (Singapore)) in August 2014.

Interview

Its a very balanced interview on technical and inter personal skills of how to handle clients and situations. Also focused in individuals experience in the respective domain and flexibility to adapt to changing IT requirements and industry.

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tel Aviv-Yafo (Israel)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Tel Aviv-Yafo (Israel)) in April 2017.

Interview

Phone call with HR rep. then we scheduled an interview with the hiring team leader. Good atmosphere in their offices. In the technical questions stage of the interview the TL pulled out a laptop and asked me to write a running code in C (described below)

Interview Questions

• You have an already prepared function which converts %XY - (when X and Y are hexadecimal) to characters in ASCI (for instance, %65 = 'd').
      Your program's input is a string which may include %XY. convert it to a string in ASCI (without %XY).
      Note that their could be an ASCI code in your string for '%' (%89 = '%') and then you need to reconvert the result.   Answer Question

Front End GUI Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at F5 Networks.

Interview

Connected with recruiter. He was very polite and helpful. I mentioned I only have experience in Angular 2 not earlier version. Hiring manager was impressed with background they moved forward with hackerrank test.

That is where things feel apart. It was a timed challenge mix of of all Front end concepts. In angular section there were questions on angular 1.x version. Also questions where focusing more in syntax rather than concept. Ofcourse I wont have best answer as Angular 2 is written from scratch n vastly different from other version.

I got a rejection saying my answers were not competitive enough. Ofcourse it wont be as questions were very specific on older methodology and I personally find it ridiculous. Questions like this can say a lot of things about how "rigid" team's mindset will be in assessing candidate and potentially on work.

Network Support Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Seattle, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

1. Technical Screening

The interview process started with a technical screening video. During this process they sent me a link that took me to a website where I was asked a series of questions, a few examples being.

What FTP commands are used to upload and download files? (put, get)
        Can you describe TCP handshake? (SYN, SYN-ACK, ACK)
        Are you comfortable with using CLI? (Yes)
        What port is DNS? (Port 53)
        What is the difference between UDP and TCP? (TCP is connection-oriented, UDP is not)

2. Phone Screening

About a week after this was sent in, I was emailed for a phone screening with the F5 recruiter that I was working with. On this call she seemed to just be gauging my interest, looking to see what salary range I wanted, and several questions about my background in tech. At the end of this call she advised that she would like to schedule an interview at their building in the next week or so, and after a few days we were able to schedule this out.

3. In Person Interview

The in person interview is a 2-3 hour interview that begins with a more grueling technical screening to see if you are a better fit for a NSE 1 or NSE 2 position. It consisted questions about Linux (e.g. how to view file permissions, change file permissions, how to view open ports, reading files) and then the interviewer wrote some advanced commands on a whiteboard and asked if you could step through what they would be doing. My main takeaways from this exercise was to know that WC and XARGS are. After the Linux questions we ran through several scenarios with a diagram of an existing network, and answered questions about how to fix various issues with traffic not exiting or moving correctly between a WAN. Main takeaway from this is to go in knowing how switching, routing, firewalls, routing protocols, and other general Layer 2 to Layer 4/5 technologies work so that you can troubleshoot and answer questions about a network. Most of this knowledge you can get from a Net+ exam. Not being in a network administrator or engineer position before I did struggle with some of the network and Linux questions, but did my homework beforehand to have a general idea of all of this.

The second step in the in person interview was to site down with two of the support managers and find out why you would be a good fit. Most of the questions were traditional (e.g. give an example of a time that you had to deal with a difficult end user, have you used ticketing systems before, why are you leaving your current job, where do you see yourself going from here), but the question that did stick out is that we played 20 questions toward the end of this interview. This was actually my favorite part of any interview that I've had, as I feel that it does show an underlying skill for troubleshooting something you may not know anything about. Just be sure to ask the right questions, and operate in sort of a binary search tree manner. Use questions to eliminate the most items possible right out of the gate.

The third interview was with the VP of services and this was similar to the previous, though maybe at a higher level. I took the time to ask him questions about F5, the future of the network security industry, and the future of support that I genuinely wanted his opinions on as a successful individual in the industry.

4. Post Interview

After the interview I met with my F5 recruiter who walked me out of the building. A day or so later she contacted me advised they would like to extend an offer, but for the NSE 1 position instead of NSE 2. I had been expecting that after the in person technical interview, so I was excited about the offer. It has taken about a week for the referral and background check to complete, which is fairly normal in my experience.

Interview Questions

• You've replaced the firewall in your network. Before replacing the firewall you double-checked all configurations against the existing firewall to ensure they match exactly. However, when you perform the replacement no traffic is able to get out to the internet. What would/could be the issue on your network?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Seattle, WA) in September 2016.

Interview

Got a phone call. Flew over to Seattle for an interview. Met with the hiring manager. The interveiws was a relay of interviews four which covered several topics about the skills needed for the job. Some of the interviewers did not seem like they were on board with the method. Took about two hours in total. Got a phone call back regarding my interview back in a couple of days.