F5 Networks Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 19, 2017

3.2

Senior Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at F5 Networks (San Jose, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Their in house recruiter contacted me via Linkedin. I had a phone call with him just out of curiosity. He asked me if I knew of F5. I work for their top competitor in the same role. He should have know this. I'm also connected via Linkedin to many of their management team who I know from a previous job, which I brought to his attention. This didn't seem to register with him. He then asked me if I've ever written whitepapers. That's like asking me if I've ever sent an email. I've written dozens and dozens of whitepapers. He could have looked at my blog that is linked to on my LinkedIn and discovered this or he could have looked at my Linkedin Posts and seen that I have very relevant expertise. He then went on to tell me about how many whitepapers I'd be expected to write for them. I asked him what they needed the whitepaper for but he didn't have any idea. He then asked me about pay and I gave him my range. He said that I was high. I told him how I had proven successful experience with marketing the same type of product to the service provider market that they were trying to break into and that his type of experience was quite rare and valuable. This information didn't register with him. I told him that if they wanted to have a discussion of what it would take to be successful in this role I'd consider that. I never heard back.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Seattle, WA) in September 2016.

Interview

Got a phone call. Flew over to Seattle for an interview. Met with the hiring manager. The interveiws was a relay of interviews four which covered several topics about the skills needed for the job. Some of the interviewers did not seem like they were on board with the method. Took about two hours in total. Got a phone call back regarding my interview back in a couple of days.

SOC Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Seattle, WA) in August 2016.

Interview

Applied online, within 24 hours received an invitation to take a HackerRank test. 15 minutes after completing the test received an email to set up a phone screen. After the phone screen scheduled a phone-based personality interview. After the personality interview, scheduled a phone-based technical interview. After that, scheduled a day of interviews on-site, including another technical interview, an interview with a panel of managers, and finally an interview with the VP.

Interview Questions

• Does TLS use asymmetric or symmetric cryptography?   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Seattle, WA) in June 2016.

Interview

Initially just did some phone calls with management and HR people, sounding one another out about what the others goals were. I have an interest in low level software which seems to dovetail well with F5's product line. I felt there was a good match. I'm a senior person with a lot of experience from serial and video drivers up though system management of these devices as well as lots of network experience.

Next I was invited in for a day of interviews. I generally get nervous during interviews and don't think well. I had 2 technical interviews where we chatted about goals, products experience etcetera leaving about 30 minutes for the coding questions.

After the tech interviews, I went out to lunch with the managers who initially seemed interested, but cooled as we talked. I expressed interest in low level stuff, but I think they're more interested in exporting that code to a service environment.

The next day they were good enough to call and obliquely inform me I didn't get the job because they had found a better fit with assurances that I was the right guy for F5.

I've contacted them subsequently with no reply.

Interview Questions

• The first tech question concerned parsing an algebraic expression in a string. I had about a half an hour.   1 Answer
    • Next, after a similar chat, I was asked to implement a ringbuffer.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Bellevue, WA).

Interview

2 rounds of phone interview, 1 onsite include 4 different person. Onsite also has some questions in paper given 30min to solve. Technical quesitons including white board coding and system design. Office is good.

Interview Questions

• Design Seattle transportation system, what will you do if you got a great amount of money   Answer Question

Network Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Applied via a reference. Normal process, online app, phone screen, in person interview. Strong showing by f5 nice offices, smart people. Overall very professional approach and comportment. It seemed as if there was some confusion about who I was to see, and what types of questions they were going to ask. Many folks asked the same questions over and over. I liked the folks I met. Seemed stressed but focused.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle competing priorities? How do you handle stress?   1 Answer

Technical AFM Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at F5 Networks (San Jose, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

I had an online questionnaire to solve. After Clearing that had a phone interview. Telephonic interview was about 30 minutes where all the concepts of Networking were Tested. The interview was all technical.

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Seattle, WA) in April 2016.

Interview

I initially applied on line and was pre-screened by one of the company recruiters. A good back and forth exchange I was set up for a second call with the department specific HR Business Partner.

Interview Questions

• What creative recruiting methods have you used and why ? It did not seem like the HR Business Partner had their heart in the call - just went through the motions. The call ended abruptly and there was no reconnect or response to my email, eventually I did get the standard rejection email without recognition of my time donation to the process.   Answer Question

Technical(Software Engineering) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Seattle, WA) in April 2016.

Interview

Round 1 - Phone conversation with product manager, nothing out of the box with him trying to better understand my qualifications and interests

Round 2 (On-site round) - Met/Interviewed with 5 people and the on-site process lasted for 3.5 hours (including a 1-hour lunch with the manager I interviewed with on phone)

Round 3 (Online hackerrank test) - A typical if you have given a similar one before. Keep a close tab on the time though. I couldn't complete mine.

Interview Questions

• Signed NDA, but be prepared to answer questions about your projects in more detail than ever before. Also, you can expect white-boarding for problems similar to the projects listed on your resume/CV. Basically, they want to see how honest you are on your resume and how well it fits into their requirements.   1 Answer

Business Development Solutions Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Seattle, WA) in March 2016.

Interview

I applied for the job in early March 2016. I got a call from the hiring manager about 3 weeks later. We chatted for about 30 minutes and it went well. HR then scheduled an onsite interview the following week with 4 people including the hiring manager. The process thus far was very professional. I met with two would be coworkers; an engineer and solution architect and they were very friendly, they didn't ask very many questions. The hardest question I got was "tell me about the OSI model." I did most of the talking but it was only 30 mins each person, so not enough time to get into anything deep. Then I met with the hiring manager's boss, I really liked him, nothing technical there. I then met the hiring manager, and I immediately felt like something was not right. He asked my almost no questions, he was very cold and I was supposed to talk an hour with him but only talked 30 mins. He was not personable at all and very difficult to read. At the end of the interview he said, "well you are 1st person we interviewed, we will get back to you." I then spoke with HR for a couple of minutes and left. I followed up with a thank you, not response. I followed up again when the hiring manager said he would make a decision, no response.

Dear F5, if someone takes the time to submit an application, prepare for an interview, come and spend a half day of their time with you, have the decency to respond!

Interview Questions

• Describe the layers of the OSI model.   1 Answer