F5 Networks Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 24, 2017

3.2

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Seattle, WA) in April 2016.

Interview

I initially applied on line and was pre-screened by one of the company recruiters. A good back and forth exchange I was set up for a second call with the department specific HR Business Partner.

Interview Questions

• What creative recruiting methods have you used and why ? It did not seem like the HR Business Partner had their heart in the call - just went through the motions. The call ended abruptly and there was no reconnect or response to my email, eventually I did get the standard rejection email without recognition of my time donation to the process.   Answer Question

Technical(Software Engineering) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Seattle, WA) in April 2016.

Interview

Round 1 - Phone conversation with product manager, nothing out of the box with him trying to better understand my qualifications and interests

Round 2 (On-site round) - Met/Interviewed with 5 people and the on-site process lasted for 3.5 hours (including a 1-hour lunch with the manager I interviewed with on phone)

Round 3 (Online hackerrank test) - A typical if you have given a similar one before. Keep a close tab on the time though. I couldn't complete mine.

Interview Questions

• Signed NDA, but be prepared to answer questions about your projects in more detail than ever before. Also, you can expect white-boarding for problems similar to the projects listed on your resume/CV. Basically, they want to see how honest you are on your resume and how well it fits into their requirements.   1 Answer

Business Development Solutions Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Seattle, WA) in March 2016.

Interview

I applied for the job in early March 2016. I got a call from the hiring manager about 3 weeks later. We chatted for about 30 minutes and it went well. HR then scheduled an onsite interview the following week with 4 people including the hiring manager. The process thus far was very professional. I met with two would be coworkers; an engineer and solution architect and they were very friendly, they didn't ask very many questions. The hardest question I got was "tell me about the OSI model." I did most of the talking but it was only 30 mins each person, so not enough time to get into anything deep. Then I met with the hiring manager's boss, I really liked him, nothing technical there. I then met the hiring manager, and I immediately felt like something was not right. He asked my almost no questions, he was very cold and I was supposed to talk an hour with him but only talked 30 mins. He was not personable at all and very difficult to read. At the end of the interview he said, "well you are 1st person we interviewed, we will get back to you." I then spoke with HR for a couple of minutes and left. I followed up with a thank you, not response. I followed up again when the hiring manager said he would make a decision, no response.

Dear F5, if someone takes the time to submit an application, prepare for an interview, come and spend a half day of their time with you, have the decency to respond!

Interview Questions

• Describe the layers of the OSI model.   1 Answer

Senior Sales Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Seattle, WA) in March 2016.

Interview

The F5 recruiter contacted me after a linked in friend got us in contact. I had a short conversation with the recruiter followed by a phone call with the hiring manager a few days later (could have been on the same day if there wasn't some miscommunication on my part).

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at F5 Networks (San Jose, CA).

Interview

Phone screen followed by 6 in person interviews in two rounds. One in San Jose, second round in Seattle. Interviews were all one on one and different levels in the org. I interviewed with individual contributors up to SVP level.

Interview Questions

• Lots of various questions mainly asking about my experiences. How I would handle certain situations. What if scenarios. Etc. Questions about pricing, roadmap planning, tradeoffs. etc.   Answer Question

Technical Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at F5 Networks in January 2016.

Interview

I got an email asking me to do an online coding challenge, then they would email me back after taking a look at the results.

Couple of days later got an email asking for an on-site interview. Interview was with 4 people, about 45 minutes each one-on-one. Each of them asked their own set of questions depending on their specialty.

Everyone I met was extremely nice and smart. Would have loved to worked with them.

Interview Questions

• How does a CPU talk to a printer in assembly language?   1 Answer

Network Engineer III Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Seattle, WA) in January 2016.

Interview

A F5 recruiter emailed me about two weeks after I applied online. After a quick chat they setup a technical phone screen with the team lead. A couple days later the recruiter emailed to say they wanted to setup an onsite interview.

The interview was about 2 hours long with the team the position was in and a couple 1 on 1s. Everyone was pretty laid back, but professional. It was a good experience. They asked plenty of technical questions, but were not looking for perfection on a whiteboard, just that you know the subjects.

A few days later they contacted me to extend an offer that I accepted.

Interview Questions

• Show the SSL handshake.   Answer Question
    • Explain in detail what happens when a client makes its first request on a network that just powered up.   Answer Question

Network Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lowell, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Lowell, MA) in October 2015.

Interview

I have 15+ years in customer support from storage to servers and applied for the NSE 2 position and made it through the grueling technical interview only to be passed up for a 1:1 interview (felt comfortable with how answered questions) . I saw a NSE 1 position became available and figured that as I was considered for the NSE 2 that maybe I'd be considered for the NSE 1 and this time I didn;t even make the technical interview. I wish there was some consistency in the application process and the technical questions were intense seemed like interviewing to be president

Interview Questions

• The questions were heavily networking and linux,

Define tcp connection
      Describe ping
      4 way close
      6 flags in tcp header
      Submask
      Dns port #

Define Inode
      Location of messages in linux
      Examples of UFS
      Define NTP
      Define QTERM

Couple active directory questions   Answer Question

Technical Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at F5 Networks in November 2015.

Interview

Scheduled interview one day after I received the email. Interviewer was very friendly and courteous. Generic questions based on resume. Asked how comfortable I was working using python, asked if I had any prior relevant experience. Also asked questions with regards to the projects I have worked on.

Network Support Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at F5 Networks in November 2015.

Interview

2 technical interviews, one building upon the other. This is the same as most major I.T. tech. interview processes. 1 phone call from the first screener followed by contact from a mid level H.R. person, followed by a call from 1 or 2 team members for a competency test / interview. Personality match probably counts as much as doing well on the actual questions.

Interview Questions

• Standard Type of Networking Questions followed by generic second technical interview. Advice is to know fundamentals and study the flagship products to learn about their major operating system and its commands.   1 Answer