F5 Networks Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 19, 2017

3.2

Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at F5 Networks (San Jose, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview was supposed to be one on one with three members of the team. Basic protocol questions from networking mentioned on the resume were asked. Recommend preparing on networking protocols thoroughly.

FPGA Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Spokane, WA) in March 2015.

Interview

Very long affair. Around 5 hours. They gave me a project to work on about 2 weeks before the interview and much of the interview was explaining my design choices to the team I would be joining. Then there were a lot of 2 on 1 interviews with different members of the team.

Interview Questions

• How would you send a signal across clock domains from a fast to a slow domain.   1 Answer

Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at F5 Networks (San Jose, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

phone screen and then onsite with manager and three other senior engineers. network protocol, application layer mostly, puzzle question. no coding or basics of any programming language was asked.icmp, network security, explain your projects well.http in depth asked. stp,rstp,tcp headers

Interview Questions

• networking protocols, one puzzle bucket question, resume projects   Answer Question

Technical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Seattle, WA) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online and included an employee I knew as a referral. 1st phone interview was with the recruiter and lasted 35 minutes. He explained a lot about the company and asked me some general questions about my work experience. 2nd phone interview was 2 days later with the hiring manager which lasted 45 minutes. He asked me for more details about my experience and explained the job position in more detail. The following Monday I get a call and asked to come into the Seattle office for 6 one on one interviews with different people in the group on the following Friday afternoon. Interviews took about 3.5 hours, a few of hypothetical questions involving what-ifs but more questions involving details about my past job history and how I overcame difficult situations. The recruiter called the following Wednesday to say it looked like I had the job. The hiring manager called the following day to say I did have the job and I received the job offer the next day which I accepted.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at F5 Networks.

Interview

asinine impersonal lazy

If you've ever had a phone discussion with a recruiter from Google, or Apple, or just about any tech company you're familiar with how they like to find good candidates and match them with teams that fit their skill sets. Recruiters that actually put a little effort into their job.

Don't expect that with F5. F5 recruiters aren't even going to send you and email. They have an assistant who will do that. The assistant will schedule a time for a phone interview and that's about it.

Then you'll have a phone interview where you are expected to write code on an online whiteboard. This is pretty common practice these days, but that isn't what is really going to happen. Your interview is likely to just hang up on you because he doesn't think you could write the code by looking at your resume.

You can assure your interviewer that you read the job description and you have extensive experienced in every major area the job description lists. Give examples, sure, that might help. You can assure them that you you can work with the programming language he mentions. But you should just save your effort and pride and just say "Thank you. Have a nice day." because they couldn't be bothered to let you even attempt the coding exercise you were told to prepare for because they can't fathom how someone with your resume and experience could even begin to use the specific language they like to use.

The recruiter will still not email you.

Interview Questions

• Do you have experience with network protocol development and implementation?   1 Answer

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Liberty Lake, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Liberty Lake, WA) in January 2015.

Interview

about 2 1/2 hours worth of interview, I saw 3 different person, some brain teasers and technical questions, no coding on a white board, but many conceptual questions relating to programming.

Interview Questions

• Difference between a c++ virtual method and an abstract method in let's say Java
      What is the scope of a thread and what is the scope of a process?
      Questions about personal projects.
      Answer Question

Software Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at F5 Networks in January 2015.

Interview

This company seems like a great place to work. I have a few friends that work here and they seem to enjoy it quite a bit.

I had a referral to this company by a friend and the recruiter contacted me shortly after for a phone interview request.

The phone interview didn't go so well, unfortunately. The collab code editor didn't work for either of us, so we had to do the technical questions verbally, which was a bit confusing but alright.

I don't want to sound rude, but the interviewer's accent was really strong, as in I couldn't understand him at all. I kept asking him to repeat the questions and since I felt bad for asking so many times, I just tried to piece together what he was saying.

Aside from that, the questions he gave were OK. They were average CS-oriented questions, mostly regarding data structures (trees, queues, stacks in particular). The position was for a Javascript web developer, so the questions seemed a bit hard for the position.

Interview Questions

• Print out a binary tree by level   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at F5 Networks (San Jose, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me via LinkedIn. 1 phone interview with Architect. Mostly involved multiple programming questions and improving solution as much as possible. Got response after 2 days for an onsite. Onsite was 5 interviews with architect, principal engineer and senior engineers. Lunch with hiring manager. All the interviews were very good and very intelligent people talking straight about coding. No irrelevant questions at all. They tested algorithm and programming skills. After 3 days on onsite, got an offer.

Interview Questions

• Most of the interviews where about algorithms and programming in both JavaScript and java. They did let me know upfront the language they wanted me to code in. One interviewer asked mostly about system design and architecture for a web application with brief coding on each aspect of application.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Offer was decent enough according to my research so didn't negotiate.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Seattle, WA) in January 2015.

Interview

The interview consisted of a phone call from 3 people in a conference room. It was an initial screening interview. They scheduled the interview for only 15 minutes so the entire conversation felt rushed. I was on speaker and it was hard to hear them. Conference calls can be awkward if they aren't planned well and this one felt poorly organized.

Sales Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at F5 Networks (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

Excellent - with panel and presentation format and I felt this was a good approach to get to know the candidate and vice versa. Now the new process includes panel interviews right upfront and looks at the candidates overall fit within the company.

Interview Questions

• Standard Mgmt and Sales questions   1 Answer
    • Talk about your experience, strength and weakness.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not so much.