F5 Networks Interview Questions in Seattle, WA | Glassdoor

3.2

79 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Seattle, WA) in June 2017.

Interview

I posted my resume on the F5 site and was connected by a recruiter with in two days. Unfortunately they already had an internal person that ultimately got the job. The recruiter just wanted to check in and learn more about me in case there were open positions in the future.

Video Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Seattle, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

3 rounds of interviews over the phone regarding availability, the program itself, and related experience. The first round is with the program manager that oversees hiring interns. After that, the second interview was with the lead who oversees the actual position. This focused more on personality. The final interview was more in-depth and technical knowledge.

Marketing Communications Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Seattle, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

I had an initial phone interview and was chosen to meet with the hiring manager in person at the F5 office. The office was easy to get to and parking was good. They validated when I was done which is a plus. The interview lasted an hour. The hiring manager said they would get back to me in a few days. When they didn't follow up, I sent a note to the HR contact. She never got back to me. I've written them off since I haven't heard back. It is common courtesy when coming in for an in-person interview to at least mention that it was the end of the line...but nothing.

Network Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Seattle, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

Im just in the first steps of the process.
    First they send you a link to answer 10 technical questions. The platform consist they give you an answer and they record a video with your answer. THey give you an average of 1:30min to answer.
    They ask me one behaviorial question and the other 9 were technical.
    Two weeks later, they send me a request for a phone screening.

Interview Questions

• Port and protocol used by DNS
      Commando to FTP
      What is a tcp connection
      what is the netmask   1 Answer

Network Support Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Seattle, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

1. Technical Screening

The interview process started with a technical screening video. During this process they sent me a link that took me to a website where I was asked a series of questions, a few examples being.

What FTP commands are used to upload and download files? (put, get)
        Can you describe TCP handshake? (SYN, SYN-ACK, ACK)
        Are you comfortable with using CLI? (Yes)
        What port is DNS? (Port 53)
        What is the difference between UDP and TCP? (TCP is connection-oriented, UDP is not)

2. Phone Screening

About a week after this was sent in, I was emailed for a phone screening with the F5 recruiter that I was working with. On this call she seemed to just be gauging my interest, looking to see what salary range I wanted, and several questions about my background in tech. At the end of this call she advised that she would like to schedule an interview at their building in the next week or so, and after a few days we were able to schedule this out.

3. In Person Interview

The in person interview is a 2-3 hour interview that begins with a more grueling technical screening to see if you are a better fit for a NSE 1 or NSE 2 position. It consisted questions about Linux (e.g. how to view file permissions, change file permissions, how to view open ports, reading files) and then the interviewer wrote some advanced commands on a whiteboard and asked if you could step through what they would be doing. My main takeaways from this exercise was to know that WC and XARGS are. After the Linux questions we ran through several scenarios with a diagram of an existing network, and answered questions about how to fix various issues with traffic not exiting or moving correctly between a WAN. Main takeaway from this is to go in knowing how switching, routing, firewalls, routing protocols, and other general Layer 2 to Layer 4/5 technologies work so that you can troubleshoot and answer questions about a network. Most of this knowledge you can get from a Net+ exam. Not being in a network administrator or engineer position before I did struggle with some of the network and Linux questions, but did my homework beforehand to have a general idea of all of this.

The second step in the in person interview was to site down with two of the support managers and find out why you would be a good fit. Most of the questions were traditional (e.g. give an example of a time that you had to deal with a difficult end user, have you used ticketing systems before, why are you leaving your current job, where do you see yourself going from here), but the question that did stick out is that we played 20 questions toward the end of this interview. This was actually my favorite part of any interview that I've had, as I feel that it does show an underlying skill for troubleshooting something you may not know anything about. Just be sure to ask the right questions, and operate in sort of a binary search tree manner. Use questions to eliminate the most items possible right out of the gate.

The third interview was with the VP of services and this was similar to the previous, though maybe at a higher level. I took the time to ask him questions about F5, the future of the network security industry, and the future of support that I genuinely wanted his opinions on as a successful individual in the industry.

4. Post Interview

After the interview I met with my F5 recruiter who walked me out of the building. A day or so later she contacted me advised they would like to extend an offer, but for the NSE 1 position instead of NSE 2. I had been expecting that after the in person technical interview, so I was excited about the offer. It has taken about a week for the referral and background check to complete, which is fairly normal in my experience.

Interview Questions

• You've replaced the firewall in your network. Before replacing the firewall you double-checked all configurations against the existing firewall to ensure they match exactly. However, when you perform the replacement no traffic is able to get out to the internet. What would/could be the issue on your network?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Seattle, WA) in September 2016.

Interview

Got a phone call. Flew over to Seattle for an interview. Met with the hiring manager. The interveiws was a relay of interviews four which covered several topics about the skills needed for the job. Some of the interviewers did not seem like they were on board with the method. Took about two hours in total. Got a phone call back regarding my interview back in a couple of days.

SOC Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Seattle, WA) in August 2016.

Interview

Applied online, within 24 hours received an invitation to take a HackerRank test. 15 minutes after completing the test received an email to set up a phone screen. After the phone screen scheduled a phone-based personality interview. After the personality interview, scheduled a phone-based technical interview. After that, scheduled a day of interviews on-site, including another technical interview, an interview with a panel of managers, and finally an interview with the VP.

Interview Questions

• Does TLS use asymmetric or symmetric cryptography?   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Seattle, WA) in June 2016.

Interview

Initially just did some phone calls with management and HR people, sounding one another out about what the others goals were. I have an interest in low level software which seems to dovetail well with F5's product line. I felt there was a good match. I'm a senior person with a lot of experience from serial and video drivers up though system management of these devices as well as lots of network experience.

Next I was invited in for a day of interviews. I generally get nervous during interviews and don't think well. I had 2 technical interviews where we chatted about goals, products experience etcetera leaving about 30 minutes for the coding questions.

After the tech interviews, I went out to lunch with the managers who initially seemed interested, but cooled as we talked. I expressed interest in low level stuff, but I think they're more interested in exporting that code to a service environment.

The next day they were good enough to call and obliquely inform me I didn't get the job because they had found a better fit with assurances that I was the right guy for F5.

I've contacted them subsequently with no reply.

Interview Questions

• The first tech question concerned parsing an algebraic expression in a string. I had about a half an hour.   1 Answer
    • Next, after a similar chat, I was asked to implement a ringbuffer.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Bellevue, WA).

Interview

2 rounds of phone interview, 1 onsite include 4 different person. Onsite also has some questions in paper given 30min to solve. Technical quesitons including white board coding and system design. Office is good.

Interview Questions

• Design Seattle transportation system, what will you do if you got a great amount of money   Answer Question

Network Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Applied via a reference. Normal process, online app, phone screen, in person interview. Strong showing by f5 nice offices, smart people. Overall very professional approach and comportment. It seemed as if there was some confusion about who I was to see, and what types of questions they were going to ask. Many folks asked the same questions over and over. I liked the folks I met. Seemed stressed but focused.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle competing priorities? How do you handle stress?   1 Answer