FAA Interview Questions | Glassdoor

FAA Interview Questions

Updated May 12, 2017

2.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at FAA (Atlanta, GA) in December 2016.

Interview

Easy interview positive experience with this the interviewers and the analysts (processors). unfortunately, the system as a whole is broken and the process leads way to ethical concerns. Was called on a Wednesday and interviewed the following Tuesday (this seemed very fast considering how long things typically take at the FAA). After the interview I waited and waited some more. Although I was told after the interview (while soliciting feedback) that my package was one that they saw typically get picked up I was very confused with the process that had a lack of transparency. I was told that this new streamlined process was intended to keep FSDO managers from soliciting and selecting their buddies. Due to the multiple levels (FG9-12) and being able to close lists without selecting, FAA managers are able to avoid qualified veterans and hire their buddies all while the agency pretends this new system corrects past management atrocities. The FSDO management did not select (let the list close the first time) and ended up relisting it and then selecting at a different grade. Although this would seem unethical (avoiding a 10 point veteran and wasting time), I'm sure those people justified their fraud by saying they wanted someone with experience closer to their needs/mission.

Interview Questions

• KSA's reworded. Interesting that there were no technical questions. This explains why this agency is rated so middle of the road at 162 of 305 and 11 out of 18 for mission.   Answer Question

Operations Support Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 9+ months. I interviewed at FAA in November 2016.

Interview

Received a call for an interview from someone in Admin, but only after I checked on the status 6 months after referred. I was asked which date would be best for me and time. I applied in April 2016, and received non-selected notification in Jan 2017. The email of not referred came from admin, who advised me to contact a different person before contacting the selecting official for questions on why I wasn't selected.

Interview Questions

• Questions were relevant to experience and different situations in the work place.   Answer Question

Civil Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at FAA (Phoenix, AZ) in October 2016.

Interview

This was an abnormally fast process. I applied the first day the job was posted (a Friday). They called me the following Wednesday and interviewed me that Friday. They were friendly at the interview and showed me around the office. I asked if they had an idea of how long the process would be, and they weren't sure, though expected it to be faster than normal.

After I didn't hear back for awhile, I called them. They told me to call the main HR office in CA. The guy there told me it was still in the hands of the people in AZ.

I called again after the holidays, and he said the position had been filled. I think it would have been more respectful to notify the people that had been interviewed, especially as I think there were only four or five.

Interview Questions

• Why should we hire you?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you had to choose between two imperfect options.   Answer Question
    • Give an example of a conflict you had with a co-worker and how you resolved it.   Answer Question
    • How do you prioritize two important things when you don't have enough time?   Answer Question
    • What do you do if you notice something being done wrong?   Answer Question
    • Give an example of a time something went wrong and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Logistics Management Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at FAA (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

Called by hiring official, met with hiring official and a supervisor within the department. Had a great interview, allowed me to ask numerous questions and openly discuss the position and challenges. Took 3 months to hear back after interview.

Administrative Office Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at FAA (Fremont, CA).

Interview

I applied for an office manager position and I did not interview well at all. They asked only 6 questions like robots as they had no follow-up questions, did not engage in conversation, did not even look at me at all and just looked down and typed notes on their iPads. When it was over, I chalked up my poor performance to a learning experience, but they asked to contact my current supervisor anyway which surprised me. I expressed reluctance as I did not interview well and I thought I messed up on the opportunity. They persisted, and I finally gave in but asked for a little time to talk to my current supervisor first. By the time I got back to my office about an hour later, my supervisor was already contacted by them before I had an opportunity to tell him. He was quite annoyed, and it has harmed my relationship with him.

I did a FOIA on my interview to find out what happened and the results showed that the 3 person FAA interview panel rated me the lowest of 8 people they interviewed, but they still contacted my current supervisor even though it was clear they had no intention of hiring me. Bad business all around.

I can only imagine how bad they treat their own people if they treat potential candidates this poorly.

Interview Questions

• How do you exhibit leadership? Provide detailed examples.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at FAA (Dallas, TX) in May 2016.

Interview

Interview was initially set to be in Chicago but they offered to change it to Dallas since it was closer to where I live and within reasonable driving distance. Interview was a 3 member panel by video conference. I was alone in a room in Dallas and the panel members were at Chicago, Indianapolis, and Oklahoma City respectively.

Interview Questions

• Ten questions were asked and they were basically all the same things that are asked as a part of the KSA's during the application process so if you did a good job on the KSA's you should have no problem. The questions were also written out for me so I could read them while they were being asked by the panel members. I liked the way the interview went and was relaxed through the whole process. It helped to know the KSA's along with relevant applications.   Answer Question

Management Program Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at FAA (Atlanta, GA) in April 2016.

Interview

Very unprofessional. The HR rep was cold and did not provide a lot of information to me about the position. I emailed her twice to get more information about the position but she did not return my emails so I had to contact her supervisor.

Interview Questions

• Do you know how much this position pays? You make more than the positions pays. Are you sure you want this position?   1 Answer

Management and Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at FAA (Washington, DC).

Interview

Interview occurred about one month after referral. Overall it was a very easy interview (nothing technical). It lasted 1.5 hours, and I was only allowed to ask one question of my own. After that waited a month and a half before receiving an automated message that I was not hired - not even a simple personal message from the people I interviewed with. Overall that left a very negative experience for me.

Interview Questions

• "Explain an experience in my past where I performed X, Y, and Z"   1 Answer

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Park, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at FAA (College Park, GA) in January 2016.

Interview

The interview process was your typical panel interview made up of 3 employees in the department in which the position was located. The interview was scripted. One of the interviewer's was rude to me during the process which helped me shape my perception of this agency. I will not be applying for anymore positions with this agency. Also, the agency seems to be stuck in the past and do not want to hire bright individuals.

Interview Questions

• Standard scenario questions, tell me about yourself, how would you handle certain situations, etc.   Answer Question

Aviation Safety Inspector Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at FAA in April 2015.

Interview

Simple submission via USAJobs. Uploaded all documents, i.e. Resume, FAA Certificates and Medical, etc... I was called 3 days after being referred, and interviewed one week later. My interview had 10 questions of a general nature, nothing very technical.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had a disagreement with a co-worker, how you solved the issue, and was it a positive outcome.   Answer Question