FAA Interview Questions | Glassdoor

FAA Interview Questions

Updated Apr 17, 2017

2.6

Technical Writer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at FAA.

Interview

I had a lengthy phone interview mostly discussing my resume and experiences. This phone interview was followed up by a face to face interview with my manager and team lead.

Interview Questions

• They wanted to make sure I could collaborate with the various team members assigned to projects.   Answer Question
    • They asked how I would respond to close deadlines.   Answer Question

Aviation Safety Inspector Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at FAA (Atlanta, GA) in December 2016.

Interview

Easy interview positive experience with this the interviewers and the analysts (processors). unfortunately, the system as a whole is broken and the process leads way to ethical concerns. Was called on a Wednesday and interviewed the following Tuesday (this seemed very fast considering how long things typically take at the FAA). After the interview I waited and waited some more. Although I was told after the interview (while soliciting feedback) that my package was one that they saw typically get picked up I was very confused with the process that had a lack of transparency. I was told that this new streamlined process was intended to keep FSDO managers from soliciting and selecting their buddies. Due to the multiple levels (FG9-12) and being able to close lists without selecting, FAA managers are able to avoid qualified veterans and hire their buddies all while the agency pretends this new system corrects past management atrocities. The FSDO management did not select (let the list close the first time) and ended up relisting it and then selecting at a different grade. Although this would seem unethical (avoiding a 10 point veteran and wasting time), I'm sure those people justified their fraud by saying they wanted someone with experience closer to their needs/mission.

Interview Questions

• KSA's reworded. Interesting that there were no technical questions. This explains why this agency is rated so middle of the road at 162 of 305 and 11 out of 18 for mission.   Answer Question

Operations Support Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 9+ months. I interviewed at FAA in November 2016.

Interview

Received a call for an interview from someone in Admin, but only after I checked on the status 6 months after referred. I was asked which date would be best for me and time. I applied in April 2016, and received non-selected notification in Jan 2017. The email of not referred came from admin, who advised me to contact a different person before contacting the selecting official for questions on why I wasn't selected.

Interview Questions

• Questions were relevant to experience and different situations in the work place.   Answer Question

Navaids Operation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at FAA (Renton, WA).

Interview

After my resume was picked out of the resume lot, I was called into the office for an interview. I was given a technical test. Including the technical test, the manager just briefly went through my resume to have a feel of my personality. After 2 weeks, I got a call from the HR saying I got a job.

Interview Questions

• If I want increase the signal's radius from 15 miles to 20 miles, what are the ways I can achieve this?   1 Answer

Civil Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at FAA (Phoenix, AZ) in October 2016.

Interview

This was an abnormally fast process. I applied the first day the job was posted (a Friday). They called me the following Wednesday and interviewed me that Friday. They were friendly at the interview and showed me around the office. I asked if they had an idea of how long the process would be, and they weren't sure, though expected it to be faster than normal.

After I didn't hear back for awhile, I called them. They told me to call the main HR office in CA. The guy there told me it was still in the hands of the people in AZ.

I called again after the holidays, and he said the position had been filled. I think it would have been more respectful to notify the people that had been interviewed, especially as I think there were only four or five.

Interview Questions

• Why should we hire you?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you had to choose between two imperfect options.   Answer Question
    • Give an example of a conflict you had with a co-worker and how you resolved it.   Answer Question
    • How do you prioritize two important things when you don't have enough time?   Answer Question
    • What do you do if you notice something being done wrong?   Answer Question
    • Give an example of a time something went wrong and how you handled it.   Answer Question

FAA Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at FAA.

Interview

Phone screen followed by a personality test and another interview. Background check followed by another conference and then coordinating the hours with management.

I see this as a dead end position in an organization that is wrought with bureaucracy.

Logistics Management Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at FAA (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

Called by hiring official, met with hiring official and a supervisor within the department. Had a great interview, allowed me to ask numerous questions and openly discuss the position and challenges. Took 3 months to hear back after interview.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at FAA (New York, NY).

Interview

Went in for an interview through a connection at a TRACON and received an email from human resources that they would be proceeding with the paperwork. Waited about 2 months before getting finalized background check paperwork and fingerprint forms.

Administrative Office Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at FAA (Fremont, CA).

Interview

I applied for an office manager position and I did not interview well at all. They asked only 6 questions like robots as they had no follow-up questions, did not engage in conversation, did not even look at me at all and just looked down and typed notes on their iPads. When it was over, I chalked up my poor performance to a learning experience, but they asked to contact my current supervisor anyway which surprised me. I expressed reluctance as I did not interview well and I thought I messed up on the opportunity. They persisted, and I finally gave in but asked for a little time to talk to my current supervisor first. By the time I got back to my office about an hour later, my supervisor was already contacted by them before I had an opportunity to tell him. He was quite annoyed, and it has harmed my relationship with him.

I did a FOIA on my interview to find out what happened and the results showed that the 3 person FAA interview panel rated me the lowest of 8 people they interviewed, but they still contacted my current supervisor even though it was clear they had no intention of hiring me. Bad business all around.

I can only imagine how bad they treat their own people if they treat potential candidates this poorly.

Interview Questions

• How do you exhibit leadership? Provide detailed examples.   1 Answer

Aviation Safety Inspector - Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at FAA (Kansas City, MO) in August 2016.

Interview

After applying online, I was called about two weeks later to schedule an interview. They offered to do the interview in person in Dallas at first but due to my location scheduled an interview in Kansas City. I arrived early, did security processing, then was led upstairs to a conference room. An inspector reviewed my documents and logbook while an HR rep got my teleconference set up.

The teleconference was two inspectors in Dallas asking me 10 questions, most of which were on the KSA portion of the application, just worded differently. They gave me an hour to answer all 10 questions and time management was my responsibility. We had some time leftover and were able to ask them questions about their roles and how they enjoyed their job.