FBI Interview Questions | Glassdoor

FBI Interview Questions

Updated Sep 8, 2017

3.4

Special Agent Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at FBI.

Interview

Of course there are countless NDA's in place. Therefore I legally cannot comment on specifics, unless I want to be tackled by a guy in a blue coat when I walk out of my door. Just kidding. :-)

There's nothing surprising, bizarre, or unique about the process. However I did wake up in a cold sweat and stomach cramps the night before the interview in my hotel room. Does that count? For some strange reason I felt like Denzel Washington in the film "Manchurian Candidate". :-)

It's just kept private in order to get the real side of applicants, rather than a "rehearsed version". This makes sense from a national security standpoint. I wish they would just tell people that and end the mystique and conspiracy theories. In my opinion they would get a lot more talented applicants with more transparency. Yet I understand their concerns.

So in other words the process is designed to reveal the real "you". There's no way around it so you might as well be yourself and let them accept or reject the real you. Being rejected or accepted for the next phase just means another 6+ months of waiting anyways. So you might as well just get it over with, just be you, and wait.

Everyone was very nice and respectful. There were no "Top Guns", "John Wayne's", "Last Action Heros", "Terminators", "Rambos", " John Shaft's", "Robocop, Part 2's", "La Femme Nikitas", "Judge Dred's", or other personalities...However, there was one guy in an olive suit with lots of hair gel.

In my own opinion I feel this process can use a nice update. It is very outdated, drawn out, and in ways is slanted towards a specific demographic ( and no, not talking about race or sex either). They end up loosing a lot of great talent because of these technical issues.

I chose not to pursue it further because of the sheer amount of time it takes to get hired there. It's just mind boggling for me and unrealistic in this day in age. For a college grad with no obligations, yes. For anyone else with roots or obligations, all depends. For me, after 7 months, not anymore. I've got children I need to raise and assign chores to. My floor has gone unbuffed for seven months now! No more slacking off. Sheriff Dad is back in town! :-)

In all it was a great experience. All jokes aside, they are actually a very nice and sincere group just with very strict criteria. It's the bureaucracy above that could only be blamed for issues today. Therefore I'm sure you can see why I didn't work for me.

... I was just sad I couldn't strike up a discussion about the posible reality of time travelers, shapeshifters, or the illuminati. I walked out depressed with my head hanging down low. ( just kidding...fbi)

Interview Questions

• Nothing complicated. Just extremely basic questions.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at FBI (Jacksonville, FL) in February 2017.

Interview

Phone interview that was about 35 minutes long. Recruiter was very helpful and open about what is hiring process and what the Bureau is looking for in qualified candidates. Also, the expectations as to the ongoing requirements seemed relatively straight forward. Bureau seems to really seek to communicate the expectations before the candidate is hired/begins. The Bureau seems to attract driven and well-rounded individuals to the Special Agent roles specifically, and I'm sure that would make for a quality workplace environment or at least be nice when it comes to the Co-Workers you'd be engaged with day-in and day-out.

Interview Questions

• Q: Are you willing to accept an assignment anywhere in the United States that would be for the length of at least two years?   4 Answers

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Springfield, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at FBI (Springfield, IL) in December 2016.

Interview

Phone interview. basic personality questions. Just looking for honest people they are able to give top security clearance to. just answer questions they give you by bragging about yourself. That seemed to work for me, and they even told me at the begging to not hold back with the bragging about yourself.

Summer Honors Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at FBI (Newark, NJ) in December 2016.

Interview

Majority of the questions asked to apply life experiences in school or in general to specific questions. There were two people who interviewed me. One person was in some sort of administrative role and another was a Special Agent. Both of them had a packet in which they wrote notes about the answers that I gave to their preset questions. Questions were respectable and not too far fetched. Interview took about 40 minutes to complete.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for FBI?   2 Answers

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at FBI in December 2016.

Interview

Very rigid almost robot like. Agent would ask you a question over the phone and you would answer and the other end would be silent as he would jot down notes and then he would continue with the next question. Interview was roughly 4 months after the initial application date.

Special Adviser Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at FBI (Washington, DC) in November 2016.

Interview

The FBI only hires Special Advisers from top business schools, and the recruiting process is only through on-campus recruiting. The hiring process is 3 steps.

The first step is the resume drop, which is through your school's official recruiting channels.

The second step is the phone interview, I don't know how difficult it is to get a phone interview. If you're really interested in this job, reach out to the point of contact, express your interest, and I'm certain you'll get the interview. The phone interview was an hour long, split between a 30 minute behavioral question and a 30 minute case. The first question both interviewers asked was "Why do you want to work for the FBI," Have a good answer! There were then 4-5 behavioral questions (talk about a time you demonstrated leadership ... faced a challenge ... etc. The case was on the easier side, mostly qualitative, no numbers at all.

The third step is Superday at FBI headquarters. In the morning you meet all the current advisers an a few execs - Director Comey spoke to us for a half hour (5 days before the 2016 presidential election). Then we had four 30 minute interviews, two before lunch and two after. Three of the interviews are behavioral. For a behavioural, you'll meet an exec who will talk about his/her background, and then ask you very standard questions (tell me about a time you persuaded someone, showed perseverance, demonstrated leadership, what are you strongest attributes). The case was a joint case (with a partner), and was broken into two 15 minute sections where you have to create a recommendation and present it. I signed a non-disclosure wavier so I'm not going to say anything beyond that.

Anonymous Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at FBI.

Interview

2~ months of running around like mad filling out all of their forms to meet their deadlines. There was an over the phone interview, which I thought I bombed, but I ended up getting an offer anyways. (I don't know if it was the cell service but they had trouble hearing me even though I have a loud voice.) You have to go through a fairly extensive background check so make sure that you have a number of people you can call on. They ask for a lot of people to verify things about you and you can only use each person twice.

Special Agent Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at FBI.

Interview

You sign a confidentiality agreement not to disclose this. There are many resources the FBI places publically, online that, if you pay attention to them, you can do very well on the Phase II Board Interview (which is the key interview to get hired). As their online, public info states, you get a series of about 12 questions and have one-hour to answer them, so about 4-5 min each. Follow the pattern that the online materials say in giving a situation, what YOU did in that situation and the outcome. Memorize (before the interview) good examples in the areas that the online materials say you will be asked about.
    The key is getting the local office recruiter to actually schedule YOU for the Phase II interview. They have a large pool of applicants eligible to sit for that crucial Phase II interview and make no mistake, they have lots of agendas that come into play as to who they pick (it is the most subjective part of the interview process and I feel a "critical" flaw in the process). Sometimes their good judgment keeps a very unstable person away who has done well up to that point and other times they are picking some friend of a friend who is a disaster. Work the recruiter for they local division where you are applying. They are the key to getting picked for that Phase II interview. Also, if you make it past the Phase II you still have an extensive background check to get through. The "rumor" was we lose at least 50% of the people who pass Phase II Board interviews during their background investigation.

Interview Questions

• The confidentiality agreement precludes disclosure BUT I have found the exact interview questions available online from rogue applicants. Search around and you can find them but if you have about 12 really good examples of your ability to work hard, adapt to change, manage conflict and act ethically you will be fine during the interview.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is no negotiation. You go to the training academy and after about 6 weeks they tell you where you will be transferred to work.

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at FBI.

Interview

Be prepared for a six-hour, comprehensive interview. The questions are private, and I assume always different, but know that they will inquire about everything from faith to drug and alcohol use, as well as a set of questions thought to determine whether or not you are trustworthy. It's a pretty fair process, but daunting to those who go in unprepared.

Interview Questions

• Extremely private, in the nature of getting to know your moral character.   1 Answer

Language Tester - Contractor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at FBI (Baltimore, MD).

Interview

After I applied, took a while, then I was invited for testing. There were two testing sessions. The first was written and listening. The next was a phone speaking test in English and other language. After test results was invited to attend paid training, and after completion, was ready to start working.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations.