FDIC Financial Institution Specialist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 22, 2018

3.3

29 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at FDIC (Washington, DC).

Interview

3 days, which 2 days

1. Accounting Test
2. Persuasive Essay
3. 20 min Group Presentation with little directions
4. Panel interview (Panel means they only state questions, Not conversational interview)
5. Personal Presentation, 2-hours prep, 12 min to present to panel

In-between, listen to FDIC Kool-Aid on how great FDIC. It is not. Dinner first night at HQ with Chairman.

Finally, learn if you received offer or not, by calling you to room.

Interview Questions

• Project you worked on with team, deadlines, usual behavioral questions.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for FDIC

FInancial Institutional Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at FDIC (Arlington, VA) in January 2018.

Interview

I got a phone call invitation 2 weeks prior to the CEP hiring event. The FDIC paid for my flight, as well as lodging at their facility and I was reimbursed for cost of the meals incurred during my travel. It was a 3 day event, consisting of a day of orientation and informational sessions about the agency and program, day of assessments and a structured interview, and by the last day you find out whether you received an offer or not

Interview Questions

• I was asked to sign a disclosure agreement and I'm not allowed to share any questions or specifics of the interview and assessments.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at FDIC (Arlington, VA) in June 2017.

Interview

I completed the application via USAjobs.gov and received a phone call inviting me to attend the applicant assessment event that was scheduled about 2 weeks out. The event was very well planned and executed. The activities followed the schedule that was emailed in advance of the event, so you will know what to expect. You could tell the FDIC wanted to impress the applicants and convey how special the agency is, in general and especially for a government agency. There will be a lot of FDIC staff present. I suggest that you chat with them when you get the chance to gain a great deal of insight into the agency and the position. There will be several staff there who went through the CEP program.
    Once the event officially begins, you don't get much down time, so you have to be "on" all the time. I found that to be the most difficult part. I'm not suggesting that you should be phony, but this is an interview event. Be yourself but be professional. You'll be assigned to a group once you check in and this will be your group for the duration of the event. You go from activity to activity together and even eat meals as a group. If you want to see DC, your only opportunity will be the day you arrive, before the event officially starts, and on the second day after the interviews have been completed. There is a reception and dinner the first night where you will have the chance to network with the people who will be on your business analysis and interview panels. Make use of that opportunity and seek them out!
    The actual assessments aren't very difficult at all and in truth, I don't think you can really prepare in advance for them. The information/knowledge you need is VERY basic. It's just managing the time constraints and doing your best with what you're given. Listen to what the staff tells you to help you prepare. You will have plenty of chances to ask them questions and they encourage it. They were constantly asking if we had questions about what was coming up. Their advice is spot on. They want everyone to be as successful as they can be. And no, they will not tell you anything specific regarding the actual assessments. And yes, we asked many times :)
    The interview questions weren't difficult. They just have multiple parts. Be sure to answer all the parts. Ask them to repeat the question and write the parts down. This is the same advice your recruiters will tell you. LISTEN TO YOUR RECRUITERS!!!! The questions are behavior based. Use STAR, CAR, or whatever other acronym your university's career center uses to formulate your answers.
    All in all it was a great event. The food was fantastic! All of the staff I met were very nice and willing to talk to us even if they were assigned to different groups or regions and seemed to enjoy talking to us. Be yourself. Show that you are someone who works well on a team, can communicate well, and are pleasant to be around.

Interview Questions

• As part of the process, you agree to not share specifics. The questions are standard behavior based interview questions. There were no difficult or unexpected questions asked.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at FDIC (Arlington, VA) in June 2017.

Interview

Read the interview report from June 9th- it's spot on. Relax, be yourself, and trust that your recruiters are on your side. Don't pass up the networking opportunities, and try not to let the down time add to your stress level (somewhat impossible).

Interview Questions

• Questions are not difficult, it's how you respond to them that really matters. Non-disclosure of assessments and process prevents further elaboration.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at FDIC (Arlington, VA) in September 2016.

Interview

We had to pass a series of tests ranging from basic math to persuasive writing. Then we had to answer questions and do a brief group presentation. Then after about a week or so you hear back.

Interview Questions

• describe an obstacle you faced with a team and how you overcame it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at FDIC (Arlington, VA) in June 2016.

Interview

This process is not as demanding as expected. You are given ample time to prepare for the interviews and assessments. Really all you need to do is be yourself and show them why you should be hired. There will be a lot of people there who won't get hired in a million years, but are there for race, age, gender etc reasons. Be likable and be willing to help during the team assessment.

Interview Questions

• I signed a confidentiality agreement. Other people have broken this. Look at theirs. Advice is to come up with a story for each question. Let them really understand your skills.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at FDIC (Arlington, VA) in May 2016.

Interview

2 Day Recruitment Event with an Offer given on the morning of the 3rd Day. Business dress is a MUST! Very strict security and no wondering around by yourself once the day starts.

Interview Questions

• There are 5 testing areas which can be a little stressful. The stress is all the down time and waiting in between.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at FDIC (Arlington, VA) in April 2016.

Interview

It is a 3 day event where they explain exactly what you are getting yourself into. They place emphasis on the amount of traveling that will be done the first four year of employment. There were 5 different tests/situations that you were graded on so even if you bombed one you still had a chance to be hired.

Interview Questions

• You are made to sign an agreement that you will not discuss interview questions or scenario information   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at FDIC (Arlington, VA) in February 2016.

Interview

Three day interview process. They walk you through exactly what you would be doing. They want to make sure you are prepared to make an educated decision when accepting a position or not. During that process they also evaluate you and make sure that you are what they are looking for in an employee. I cannot go into detail about what tests you will be given, however I will say they are fairly simple the biggest thing is to FOLLOW and READ the directions fully. Do not let your nerves get to you and be social... in a professional way. I loved the experience and feel they do a wonderful job with this process of providing information to the potential employee and assessing them as well. Teamwork is essential.

Financial Institution Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at FDIC.

Interview

Did an internship summer after my junior year in college. Analyzed 3 separate banks performing different duties. After internship, spent one week in Washington D.C. going through an array of interviews/tests to see if I was qualified. Tests were 1) math test doing simple revenue / profit analysis, teamwork exercise as industrial-organizational psychologists studied our behavior, writing exercise (most frequently failed) and a business-analysis exercise where employee has to convince a team of executives why he/she chose the option.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which something did not go as planned and how did you react to the situation? What was the outcome?   Answer Question