FDIC Financial Institution Specialist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

FDIC Financial Institution Specialist Interview Questions

3.3

28 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Financial Institution Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at FDIC.

Interview

Interview lasted from noon on Wednesday to Thursday evening. Friday morning they let you know whether you are offered a position. Assessment process consisted of a writing/grammar assessment, an individual presentation, a group presentation and a 1:1 interview (with three interviewers). I believe they are looking for the "whole package", not necessarily a certain "look" Can you read/write in coherent thoughts, sentences and paragraphs and tie it all together or do you write in slang or write like you text? The solo and group presentations and solo interview were not difficult though they could be a little nerve racking because you don't know exactly what to expect.

I believe it's important that you know the difference between business dress and business casual. Again, if they are looking for the "whole package" to fit into their culture, you need to dress and act like you really want to be part of their culture. (Remember, when you walk into a bank on examination day, you need to LOOK PROFESSIONALl). It probably doesn't hurt to also engage with the employees, all the way from security at the front door to the highest level in the organization. Do you think all of those FDIC "volunteers" (the people that help you get to where you need to go) are not also observing you? I can't say that they DO have input into whether you are selected or not, but it seems to me that they are in a great position to provide feedback to those that do make the final selection.

My observation is that the interviewees who asked lots of (what's in it for me) questions, those who used poor judgment in discerning between business dress and business casual and those that exuded over-the-top confidence because they currently work for the government were not offered a position. I'd recommend being confident, taking charge when necessary (but don't be overbearing), being humble, and doing some homework about the agency before you show up so that you are not the one asking 1,001 questions and getting every other applicant annoyed with you.

The FDIC performs a public trust background check on you (after you accept your tentative offer) and before they give you the final offer letter. Know what a public trust background check entails so that if you are offered the position, you are not disqualified based on not being able to pass that part of the process.

It was a nice get-away, the entire FDIC staff was very professional, and the entire trip was paid for.

Interview Questions

• No assessment, presentation scenario, or interview question was hard; complying with the time constraints to complete each assignment presented a bit of a challenge.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiations. However, over the course of four years you can move from approximately $50k to $80k as long as your performance meets or exceeds standards.

Other Interview Reviews for FDIC

Financial Institution Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at FDIC in January 2015.

Interview

The interview was conducted over a span of two days with an offer being extended after breakfast on the third day. This a testing interview and there are plenty of things they are looking for: initiative, teamwork, and how well you fit in the culture. They also look for you to justify any decisions made during the tests.

The process is nerve-racking. Out of 44 people, 13 were hired. I don't believe all field offices were able to pick someone; according to another applicant hiring managers are unable to pick anyone who scores below a certain threshold. If you fail too many of the tests and the interview, then you won't be hired. Some of the people offered the position felt they did poorly in one test but average/above average on the rest, so doing poorly in one area won't hurt you too badly.

And don't be afraid to make a social faux pas. I made one. Another guy made one. We were both hired. You're going up against accounting experience, advanced degrees, and veterans. It's a tough competition. You'll be tempted to act like a shark - don't. No one who received an offer acted that way. Be polite, make friends with your group, discuss the position with your recruiter and your interviewers, and more importantly make sure the FDIC is the right place for you.

Interview Questions

• They have themes for each question, of which there are four. I would go in knowing three or four characteristics about yourself you'd like to share with them and have one or two examples for each one. All of the questions here already are similar to the questions I answered.   Answer Question

Financial Institution Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at FDIC.

Interview

Did an internship summer after my junior year in college. Analyzed 3 separate banks performing different duties. After internship, spent one week in Washington D.C. going through an array of interviews/tests to see if I was qualified. Tests were 1) math test doing simple revenue / profit analysis, teamwork exercise as industrial-organizational psychologists studied our behavior, writing exercise (most frequently failed) and a business-analysis exercise where employee has to convince a team of executives why he/she chose the option.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which something did not go as planned and how did you react to the situation? What was the outcome?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at FDIC (Arlington, VA) in February 2016.

Interview

Three day interview process. They walk you through exactly what you would be doing. They want to make sure you are prepared to make an educated decision when accepting a position or not. During that process they also evaluate you and make sure that you are what they are looking for in an employee. I cannot go into detail about what tests you will be given, however I will say they are fairly simple the biggest thing is to FOLLOW and READ the directions fully. Do not let your nerves get to you and be social... in a professional way. I loved the experience and feel they do a wonderful job with this process of providing information to the potential employee and assessing them as well. Teamwork is essential.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at FDIC (Arlington, VA) in May 2016.

Interview

2 Day Recruitment Event with an Offer given on the morning of the 3rd Day. Business dress is a MUST! Very strict security and no wondering around by yourself once the day starts.

Interview Questions

• There are 5 testing areas which can be a little stressful. The stress is all the down time and waiting in between.   1 Answer

Financial Institution Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at FDIC.

Interview

Phone interview to get into the Financial Management Scholar summer internship while in college. Two interviewers on the phone, with very structured, typical behavioral questions (ie talk about a team you were in a conflict, how you resolved it, etc).

At the end of the internship, there is a 2-day focused interview process: easy math test, SAT-style essay writing, basic grammar test, brief individual case prep (30mins?) with presentation before two judges (3-10mins?), and a group case prep with presentation before a panel of 5-6 judges that watch how you interact with your team members to prepare the presentation before delivering the presentation before them.

Those who did not go through the summer internship program may have additional interviews in addition to these presentations and assessments. These interviews include 1:1 interviews or even a panel interview with more than one judge.

Be as candid as you can be, but take the interview/presentations seriously People do get cut for underperforming.

Interview Questions

• No surprises - this is the government. If you've done any other job interviews before you should know what to expect.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. You pick out your top 5 locations, and you will get hired to one of them based on the company's need. Pay is based on location of the office. You will get full relocation benefits.

Financial Institution Specialist Interview

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at FDIC.

Interview

It was a recruiting event that lasted three days. It includes writing assessments, individual presentations, group presentations, and panel interviews. You are tested in the following area: grammar and sentence structure, writing style, math, accounting, team work, and adaptively.
    At the end of the three day recruiting event you will find out if there is a job offer or not.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at FDIC (Arlington, VA) in June 2014.

Interview

The process was a complete mindgame, and sadly is not a true emulation of the required skills to work for the corporation. The worst part of the entire process is, even if you are the top candidate for your particular application area, you will still not be chosen over the veteran that applies alongside you. Below is a full breakdown of the 3 day hiring event.

Day 1
    Writing Assessment
    Begins with a proofreading exercise that is a letter from a college admissions office offering acceptance to an applicant. There are roughly 15 errors, and be sure to understand what syntax means, as you must correct for that. Next you have 3 possible prompts to choose from, and you must develop a persuasive paper. The 3 possible prompts were as follows: buying a new vs. used car, living with a roommate vs. living alone, taking an online class vs. in class session. They say that most people who are not hired fail on this portion of the assessment, however they will not tell you your score.

Day 2
    Financial Analysis & Presentation
    You will first be presented with some financial statements to fill out and complete (you do not need any accounting knowledge in order to complete this, simply addition, subtraction, mult. and division). Once you complete this they will take the sheet away and you will begin developing an analysis on which of 2 offers to accept for a drycleaning company. One offer is from a larger corporation, the other is from a community corporation. The idea is that you prepare an analysis and present it to a panel who is supposed to be the Board of Directors for the company

Group Analysis
    The group analysis is on the same argument, however you must collectively come up with an argument and present to a panel who are again supposed to be board members of a company. Be prepared to receive a large amount of data with only 20 minutes to prepare your argument. Also be prepared to be watched as if you are a lab subject during the preparation phase.

Structured Interview
    Standard federal government interview. 4 questions. panel. no response.

Overall the idea is that they have 12 benchmarks they seek from you during these assessments. Be prepared to wait long periods of time during each assessment as well as lots of other unnecessary sessions in between the assessments.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at FDIC (Tampa, FL) in January 2014.

Interview

The interview process consist of spending 3 days in Washington D.C. The first day is set up an introduction and you have to take a reading and writing test. The second day you have 2 presentations and some math problems. They also go over all aspects of the company. The morning of the 3rd day you either get a job offer or you don't.

Interview Questions

• One of the interview questions was describe a conflict that you faced and how you handled and what was the end result.   Answer Question

Financial Institution Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at FDIC.

Interview

Once you are selected for an interview they fly you out to Washington to participate in a 3 day assessment process. The 3 days go by fast because they keep you busy the entire time. The first day you take a proof reading test and write an essay. The second day you have two presentations and your interview. The last day they let you know if you have been selected for a position. I believe these three days are a complete waste of time. I believe they have a certain look they are going for.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you used your interpersonal skills to persuade someone to go into a different direction.   Answer Question