FDIC Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 19, 2017

2.9

Senior Bank Examiner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lexington, KY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at FDIC (Lexington, KY).

Interview

Structured interview - limited to three questions. The website helps with the types of questions as does the job posting itself. There were two people in the interview and it was exactly 1 hour. Don't hesitate to ask the interviewees to repeat the question as they can be very long. And also write down the question as they ask it so you remember all parts of the question.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had a conflict, explain what happened, your role, and the outcome.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They matched my current pay in the private sector with no questions.

Financial Institution Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at FDIC (Arlington, VA) in February 2016.

Interview

Three day interview process. They walk you through exactly what you would be doing. They want to make sure you are prepared to make an educated decision when accepting a position or not. During that process they also evaluate you and make sure that you are what they are looking for in an employee. I cannot go into detail about what tests you will be given, however I will say they are fairly simple the biggest thing is to FOLLOW and READ the directions fully. Do not let your nerves get to you and be social... in a professional way. I loved the experience and feel they do a wonderful job with this process of providing information to the potential employee and assessing them as well. Teamwork is essential.

Financial Management Scholar Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at FDIC (Saint Louis, MO) in January 2016.

Interview

A series of four uestions. They give time for you to think before you respond. Relatively short. Pretty easy as far as interviews go. Like any government agency, it takes a long time to get anything going, so do not expect anything to move fast. I had an interview at the beginning of January, was tentatively accepted in the middle of January, and was officially accepted beginning of March / end of February after going through a background check.

Financial Management Scholar Interview

Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at FDIC (Springfield, MO) in January 2016.

Interview

I applied in November 2015 during the two-day online window. I received an email requesting an interview a few weeks later. Mine was conducted over the phone, but several FMS friends were interviewed at their local FDIC office. The interview was incredibly formal. It is what they call a "structured interview," which is the norm in the Federal Government. Your interviewers ask you exactly four questions and are not allowed to stray from their scripts, provide feedback, or answer any questions from you. The interview questions are given with multi-step instructions. The pattern is something like "tell me about a time when (something unexpected happened), how you handled it, the steps in your decision making process, and what the results of your actions were."

After you are given a tentative offer, they will have you fill out background check information. Sometimes this leads to a background check interview with OPM before your final offer is extended.

Interview Questions

• An example would be: Tell us about a time that you were required to make a decision under tight time constraints, how you handled it, the steps in your decision making process, and what the results of your actions were.

All of the questions were behavior and situation focused (non-specific to the experience on my resume).
      1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at FDIC.

Interview

Panel Interview: They asked me four questions about initiative, organizational skills, group cohesiveness, etc. They would ask me the question and then take notes on a rubric based on each question. It feels a lot like playing poker because everyone was deadpan and not giving any reaction to my answers. After the four questions I was allowed to ask them my own questions and things became much more relational.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you worked with a team? What was the team's purpose? What were you contributions? What was the outcome? Be specific.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at FDIC.

Interview

Did an internship summer after my junior year in college. Analyzed 3 separate banks performing different duties. After internship, spent one week in Washington D.C. going through an array of interviews/tests to see if I was qualified. Tests were 1) math test doing simple revenue / profit analysis, teamwork exercise as industrial-organizational psychologists studied our behavior, writing exercise (most frequently failed) and a business-analysis exercise where employee has to convince a team of executives why he/she chose the option.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which something did not go as planned and how did you react to the situation? What was the outcome?   Answer Question

BSA Specialist FDIC Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at FDIC (Dallas, TX).

Interview

Applied on USAJOBS. received an email to interview, 2 months after receiving the loser email. They seemed a bit unorganized,,but its a government job, so that's par for the course. I has interviewed by two people. They were very nice, but felt they were distracted a bit, almost as if it was just an interview to check a box because someone else had already been chosen.

Interview Questions

• The phone interview was 4 questions, relating to policies, giving bad news to seniors and filing reports. Not at all what others have previously written. I don't think its a standard as they would like you to think. I believe there are several set of 4 questions that can be asked.   Answer Question

Student Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at FDIC.

Interview

Phone call; mostly behavioral questions based on my past experiences that had been listed on my resume. It was with several people who rotated on asking questions. This was on the phone and relatively painless -- i was frustrated because I couldn't hear well, but they warned me about this upfront.

Division of Finance Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at FDIC.

Interview

I had to apply online via my university's job portal as well as USAjobs.gov. I was then contacted for a phone interview. The phone interview was strictly behavioral and about an hour. They went over the positions available as well as asked questions about commercial banking, bank regulation, and teamwork skills. I was then contacted a few weeks later about whether I received the job or not.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about one time you had difficulty with a group-oriented project.   Answer Question

Pathways Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at FDIC in October 2015.

Interview

USAJOBS.gov took more than 2 months, was rejected at first and then selected for an interview? Never heard from an HR person, only from the hiring manager emailed me asking to do an interview with a timeline in a week. Interview lasted more than an hour with the manager. She was very nice and told me they had to ask the same 4 questions to every applicant so there was no bias.

Interview Questions

• How did you resolve a difficult problem? How did you work under a tight timeline?   Answer Question