FDIC Interview Questions | Glassdoor

FDIC Interview Questions

Interviews at FDIC

2.9

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at FDIC.

Interview

Phone interview to get into the Financial Management Scholar summer internship while in college. Two interviewers on the phone, with very structured, typical behavioral questions (ie talk about a team you were in a conflict, how you resolved it, etc).

At the end of the internship, there is a 2-day focused interview process: easy math test, SAT-style essay writing, basic grammar test, brief individual case prep (30mins?) with presentation before two judges (3-10mins?), and a group case prep with presentation before a panel of 5-6 judges that watch how you interact with your team members to prepare the presentation before delivering the presentation before them.

Those who did not go through the summer internship program may have additional interviews in addition to these presentations and assessments. These interviews include 1:1 interviews or even a panel interview with more than one judge.

Be as candid as you can be, but take the interview/presentations seriously People do get cut for underperforming.

Interview Questions

• No surprises - this is the government. If you've done any other job interviews before you should know what to expect.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. You pick out your top 5 locations, and you will get hired to one of them based on the company's need. Pay is based on location of the office. You will get full relocation benefits.

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at FDIC.

Interview

It was a recruiting event that lasted three days. It includes writing assessments, individual presentations, group presentations, and panel interviews. You are tested in the following area: grammar and sentence structure, writing style, math, accounting, team work, and adaptively.
    At the end of the three day recruiting event you will find out if there is a job offer or not.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at FDIC (Arlington, VA) in June 2014.

Interview

The process was a complete mindgame, and sadly is not a true emulation of the required skills to work for the corporation. The worst part of the entire process is, even if you are the top candidate for your particular application area, you will still not be chosen over the veteran that applies alongside you. Below is a full breakdown of the 3 day hiring event.

Day 1
    Writing Assessment
    Begins with a proofreading exercise that is a letter from a college admissions office offering acceptance to an applicant. There are roughly 15 errors, and be sure to understand what syntax means, as you must correct for that. Next you have 3 possible prompts to choose from, and you must develop a persuasive paper. The 3 possible prompts were as follows: buying a new vs. used car, living with a roommate vs. living alone, taking an online class vs. in class session. They say that most people who are not hired fail on this portion of the assessment, however they will not tell you your score.

Day 2
    Financial Analysis & Presentation
    You will first be presented with some financial statements to fill out and complete (you do not need any accounting knowledge in order to complete this, simply addition, subtraction, mult. and division). Once you complete this they will take the sheet away and you will begin developing an analysis on which of 2 offers to accept for a drycleaning company. One offer is from a larger corporation, the other is from a community corporation. The idea is that you prepare an analysis and present it to a panel who is supposed to be the Board of Directors for the company

Group Analysis
    The group analysis is on the same argument, however you must collectively come up with an argument and present to a panel who are again supposed to be board members of a company. Be prepared to receive a large amount of data with only 20 minutes to prepare your argument. Also be prepared to be watched as if you are a lab subject during the preparation phase.

Structured Interview
    Standard federal government interview. 4 questions. panel. no response.

Overall the idea is that they have 12 benchmarks they seek from you during these assessments. Be prepared to wait long periods of time during each assessment as well as lots of other unnecessary sessions in between the assessments.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at FDIC (Tampa, FL) in January 2014.

Interview

The interview process consist of spending 3 days in Washington D.C. The first day is set up an introduction and you have to take a reading and writing test. The second day you have 2 presentations and some math problems. They also go over all aspects of the company. The morning of the 3rd day you either get a job offer or you don't.

Interview Questions

• One of the interview questions was describe a conflict that you faced and how you handled and what was the end result.   Answer Question

Financial Institution Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at FDIC.

Interview

Once you are selected for an interview they fly you out to Washington to participate in a 3 day assessment process. The 3 days go by fast because they keep you busy the entire time. The first day you take a proof reading test and write an essay. The second day you have two presentations and your interview. The last day they let you know if you have been selected for a position. I believe these three days are a complete waste of time. I believe they have a certain look they are going for.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you used your interpersonal skills to persuade someone to go into a different direction.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at FDIC (Washington, DC) in October 2012.

Interview

They fly you in on a Wednesday and have a social mixer that night. The following day the have a test on very basic math/accounting and writing. They do a teamwork interview and a structured interview. The spend most of the time discussing the postions through numerous classes. I personally felt 90% of the process was unnecessary. I was one of the only candidates without an MBA and/or CPA with 5 plus years experience. The only applicants I saw hired from my class were already interns or working as temps, and even some of them did not get offers. If given the option to interview again I would not.

Interview Questions

Interview

Basic government hiring, four questions to respond to, little interplay.

Interview Questions

• Name most difficult situation you faced and how you resolved it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation, take it or leave it.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at FDIC (New York, NY) in March 2011.

Interview

They asked me mostly fit questions on the phone. There was a super day during which there was a writing assessment, and a few case presentations as well. The FDIC is really looking for someone who can fit into the culture of the FDIC which is quite particular. You really need to be a team player and emphasize your ability for discretion.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Well its the government so negotiation is tough but not impossible if they really like you.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at FDIC (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Applied online. After application and closing of announcement a month went by when I received a call for telephonic interview. After participating in the interview, another 2 weeks went by when I received tentative offer. Prepare yourself for the background check this can take anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks. I was only asked 4 questions in the interview they were: how to interact in a group setting, how to deal with difficult people, problem solving and work maintenence and multi tasking.

Interview Questions

• In addition to answering the questions must explain why, and how you decided on the actions you took.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiations. You will get what they offer. But you will not be disappointed. Interns make between 30 and 40k.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at FDIC (Washington, DC) in May 2013.

Interview

Applied online, received a call within 2 weeks of the interview date. I was flown out to DC on a Wednesday. That day you are seperated into groups and you take a proof reading test and writing test. The proof reading assignment focuses on spelling, punctuation and grammar. The writing test is a basic essay (Introduction, body and conclusion/ending). Be sure to follow directions and answer specific questions that they ask you to in the essay! That night, you go to a dinner and listen to a few speakers and then they take you on a tour of DC. The second day is busy but it goes by fast. You start off with a few workshops that tell you more about the company and its benefits. Then you have a business analysis, basic accounting test and an oral presentation. The business analysis is viewing 2 companies and what they have been doing. Know all of your basic accounting formulas. During the oral presentation (on the business analysis), be sure to answer the questions that they ask you to and make sure you take at LEAST 5 minutes. After the presentation, you are broken into groups of 4/5 and taken into a room where people will analyze how you work in a team. Extra information about the businesses from the analysis will be given to you and you have to decide what is best and present it orally as a team. Again, answer ALL the questions and follow directions. Next, you go to a few more information sessions. Last is the structured interview where they ask everyone the SAME four questions and they can not explain them. They will repeat as many times as you would like to. Write down everything and answer all parts of the question. There is NEVER one part to answer. On the third day, they will make you suffer by sitting around waiting for 2 hours but you will either get a job offer or go back to the airport.
    Lodging and food is comfortable and great.

Interview Questions

• Name a change that you have faced (work or school). What steps did you take and what was the outcome?

Name 2/3 strengths that you have when working with a team. Name a time when you faced a problem. What was the problem? What steps did you take to solve the problem and what was the ending result?

Name a time when you had to analyze data? What did you analyze? How did you analyze it? What was the outcome?   4 Answers

Negotiation

No negotiations. Salary is based on location, locality rates and previous careers, if any.