FDM Group Technical Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

FDM Group Technical Consultant Interview Questions

Interviews at FDM Group

1.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at FDM Group (New York, NY) in April 2018.

Interview

The interview process took around a month with short phone and Skype screenings and one logic test spread across that time period. The whole process was very casual but felt a little too easy. They seemed to gloss over the interviews with little opposition and just gave me the offer.

Interview Questions

• What is your mental process when solving a technical problem?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for FDM Group

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at FDM Group (London, England (UK)) in May 2015.

Interview

The first stage was a Phone interview that was very easy and simple; mainly questions about why do you want to work for the company and if you're geographically mobile.

The next stage was an Assessment day which consisted of a presentation by one of the senior employee's at FDM and then a series of tests which are incredibly easy, nothing passed GCSE level.

Interview Questions

• If you could do your course at Uni again would you do it?   Answer Question

Technical Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at FDM Group (Leeds, England (UK)) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied and within a few days I had a telephone interview, after that I had a video interview and then finally an assessment day. The assessment day was a talk for an hour then a GCSE level maths test, follow by 3 small interviews about education, business and It knowledge. We then had a venn diagram and set notation test followed by a technical test.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at FDM Group (London, England (UK)) in July 2015.

Interview

Contacted by recruiter on phone. Asked some questions about interests in IT and my degree. After that was invited to do an online video interview. Then was invited to an assessment centre. Had 3 tests on maths, IT knowledge and Venn diagrams. The day ended with 3 five minutes interviews.

Interview Questions

• Would you sacrifice the quality of your work to meet a deadline?   Answer Question

Technical Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at FDM Group in February 2016.

Interview

I completed an assessment centre at FDM. It was suspiciously easy (i.e no group exercise, very short interviews and very basic tests). Essentially, if you complete an assessment day at any other high profile software engineering company and compare it to FDM's you'll understand what I mean. This led me to research them a bit more online and I've seen some shocking reviews on the company and their graduate scheme. Having completed other far more challenging and interesting assessment centres since as well as receiving considerably better offers, I've declined FDM's offer and would I would not recommend them unless you're desperate. Their business model and selling point is that they can get you into big companies as a consultant; if you're ambitious enough and good enough, just apply directly to these big employers. FDM deceive naive graduates attracted by a quick and easy application process. The best graduate schemes are difficult and filter out the right candidates in quite some detail. I feel like you barely have to try with FDM. Furthermore, they have no limit on how many people they recruit and you're easily disposable in the first 12 weeks of unpaid training. Wouldn't recommend this company to any ambitious graduate particularly in software engineering. There's a lot more lucrative, challenging and rewarding schemes out there. Nothing worth having is easy.

Interview Questions

• Basic competency questions and motivations for applying, nothing technical. Interviews are very short so not too stressful. You see about 3 different interviewers.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at FDM Group (London, England (UK)) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied to FDM online. Two-three days later I received a call from one of HR member, Sam, who went through more or less the same questions as online application (geographical flexibility, means to support oneself during the training period, preferred pathways etc). After this I was invited to complete a video interview. The video interview consisted of 6 questions (listed below) and was a little bit awkward as I had to watch pre-recorded questions and record myself answering them. It wasn’t too difficult though because I was given approximately a minute to think before each question. I don’t think I did very well in the video interview in general, but three days later I received another phone call from Sam who said that I passed and then we agreed on the assessment day date. She also sent me a booklet containing a very detailed explanation about the assessment day.

The assessment day started at 9am and most of us were finished by 2.30-3pm. At first there was a short introduction about the company which wasn’t very useful as it didn’t contain any information that couldn't be found on FDM’s website. If you have any questions about the company, it is best to ask them in this part of the assessment as later there is no chance to do that. Then we had Venn diagram and Set Notation test which was really easy. The assessment booklet they send us contained a couple of youtube links explaining the main principles of Venn diagrams. But even during the test you are given a workbook which has all the rules and explanations. We were given 1 hour for this test which was more than enough. Only one question, related to set cardinality, required more thinking. After this we had a short tour around the building. The facilities seemed quite nice and new. Unfortunately, we didn’t have a chance to interact with the people working there and ask questions.

After this we had IT aptitude test which also took 1h. Some questions were really easy, but some were challenging. I would advise to revise the main acronyms used in IT (HTTP, HTML, SQL etc), the roles of 1st/2nd/3rd line support, the benefits of IPv4 to IPv6 conversion, operating systems, programming languages (there was a question re which programming language is not object oriented). Also, there were quite a few programming related questions. They weren’t too difficult but might be a bit troublesome if you haven’t dealt with loops or conditional statements. Some diagrammatic reasoning questions were also included but they were very simple compared to the usual SHL tests. There were also some situational questions and some random problems that were just testing our logic.

Then we had one hour lunchbreak. The lunch wasn’t provided but there were many places around. When we came back, we had 30min maths test. There’s not much to say about it as there was nothing complex. Most of the question required to use long division or multiplication. There was also one simultaneous equations problem at the end.

The final part of our assessment was 3 short interviews with three members of recruitment team. Each interview took 5-10min and was really relaxed. The questions (listed below) were simple but required at least 1 min long answers as the interviewers didn’t ask follow-up questions.

Interview Questions

• Video Interview Questions:
      1. What is your understanding of the FDM business model and how the Graduate Programme works?
      2. What challenges are you looking for in your next role?
      3. Can you tell me about something in IT that you are passionate about?
      4. It’s your first day on site as an FDM Consultant; how do you build rapport with your new colleagues?
      5. Could you give me an example of a time when you had to overcome a problem to achieve a particular goal?
      6. What transferable skills have you gained from your degree that would make you a successful Business or Technical Consultant?

Venn diagram set cardinality question:
      There are 120 students who are numbered from 1 to 120. Every student whose number is an even number takes Physics; every student whose number is a multiple of 5 takes Chemistry and every student whose number is a multiple of 7 takes Maths. How many students are studying Maths and Chemistry? How many students are studying Physics and Maths? How many students are not taking any of these subjects?

Assessment Day Interview Questions:
      1. Is organisational change always good?
      2. Would you sacrifice the quality of your work to meet a deadline?
      3. Tell me about the activity that energizes you.
      4. What does determination mean to you?
      5. What (academic) result did you achieve in your final year and are you satisfied with them?
      6. What was your dissertation about?
      7. What was the most difficult thing when working on your dissertation?
      8. If you had a second chance, would you choose the same degree again?
      9. What about FDM appealed to you?
      10. Which pathway (business/technical) did you apply for? Tell me about the time when you applied your technical knowledge in everyday life situation.
      11. Tell me about some news related to IT that you have read recently.
      12. What is your favourite app?   Answer Question

Technical Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at FDM Group (Leeds, England (UK)) in January 2016.

Interview

Casual Telephone Interview, followed by an informative presentation where you are allowed to ask any questions. Then a 30 minutes maths test, followed by a venn diagram test. Three 5 minute interviews follow, performed by different people.

Interview Questions

• Tell me one app that you are interested in or read about recently   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at FDM Group (London, England (UK)) in August 2016.

Interview

Three stages to the interview
    - Video interview
    - face to face interview x 3
    - assessment x 3

Overall was a good interview experience, but long and a little tiring . Was successful in the interviews but failed the maths assessment and the ven diagram test.

Technical Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at FDM Group.

Interview

Very basic chat. Call to specifically ask you when you am available to the phone interview, what is the graduate programme. Role preferences. Explain the vacant role, and application process.

Interview Questions

• Can you self-fund during the training without salary   1 Answer

Technical Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at FDM Group in January 2019.

Interview

Applied online after being contacted by one of their recruiters. Got invited to a video interview shortly afterwards, which was compromised of 6 pre recorded questions. Interview itself was simple enough, no particularly tricky questions