FINRA Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

3.1

62 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Senior Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodbridge, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at FINRA (Woodbridge, VA) in October 2017.

Interview

Applied on 10/2/2017 received a call on 10/19/2017 about setting up a phone interview. The interview was easy and seemed conversational. Recruiter then set up in person interview for 10/26/2017 for 2 hours. Went In on that date a interviewed with office manager for 1 hour. She then brought me around the office to interview with 3 other people. I sat with the VP Maureen, who was really nice. I met with a Hearing Officer Carla, who was also very nice. I was then supposed to meet with a case administrator but they were in a meeting. So the office manager brought me back to her office where we chatted for a few additional minutes to see if I had any additional questions. Which I didn’t. Which is probably why I didn’t get the offer. All in all great interview.

Senior Regulatory Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at FINRA (Rockville, MD) in August 2017.

Interview

Had a phone call with interviewer - pretty easy, just glossing over resume. They invited me in to meet the manager and director - nothing but STAR/situational/behavioral questions. They invited me back one more time to meet the senior director - again all STAR questions. Received an offer the following week.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you had to make a difficult decision in a short period of time.   Answer Question

Junior Cloud Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at FINRA (Rockville, MD) in July 2017.

Interview

Interviewed with Staffing company and was passed on to FINRA for a phone interview. Phone interview was general, going over AWS resources listed on my resume, tools I have used, experience with Python, linux and industry standard tools like Docker, Puppet, Ansible.

Interviewed on-site for the next round. 2 hour interview with 2 different teams. The first half consisted of going over my project experience and was stopped multiple times to explain concepts like VPC, Subnets, NAT. They were short on time so made me run some Linux commands and some sudo code for a problem presented to me. Got the coding problem wrong but did a good job otherwise. Did not have a coding background as such and was upfront about it.
    Second half of the interview was with the DevOps team going over resources like Ansible, Docker, Jenkins, CI/CD pipeline, setting up NGINX. Questions about encryption and how SSL certs work. How to encrypt micro-services. Had a brain teaser at the end that I think I tackled really well and asked some questions after that before the interview ended.

Interview Questions

• Q. How to enter a string "TACK" and return it in reverse order? (After I answered it) What if it is a huge string with too many characters to replace one by one, what would you do?

Q. Draw a triangle. Now draw a dot at each of the corners. Each dot represents an ant and each ant can only move in the direction of other ants. (Basically only travel along the sides of the triangle and nowhere else). The ants move at the same speed. What if the probability that the ants never meet?   Answer Question

Regulatory Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at FINRA (Rockville, MD) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted to interview about two weeks later. After an initial chat with an HR person, we scheduled an interview in Rockville with three pretty senior people. I felt it was a great environment and the interview was well directed towards explaining what the job would be like, how my skills would work in that context, as well as seeing if I was a fit on a personal level. Although I did not get an offer, I felt good enough about the process and the people I met, as well as the work they described that I am still interested in FINRA.

Interview Questions

• It was actually hard to answer where I saw myself in ten years - I am often asked about five in interviews, but I really got stumped by this relatively innocuous question as applied to a longer timeframe.   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at FINRA (Rockville, MD) in January 2017.

Interview

I had applied online and I received an e-mail later to set up an initial phone call. Did the phone call and was brought into the office for a second interview. There I was interviewed by a manager, and two directors.

Interview Questions

• Asked pretty common questions about your knowledge of the financial markets and trading.   Answer Question

Devops Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at FINRA (Rockville, MD) in December 2016.

Interview

Applied through a staffing company and quickly got a phone screen. Got an interviewer whose first language was not English, was right out of college (confirmed via LInkedIn) and was asked vague questions and constantly had to direct the interviewer to clarify questions

Interview Questions

• In AWS, when using multiple servers to send API info, what would you do if you don't get a response?   1 Answer

UX Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at FINRA (Rockville, MD) in December 2016.

Interview

I applied to this role online and a recruiter contacted me. I then had a 30 minute phone conversation with a designer from FINRA. The interviewer was looking for someone with several years of coding experience for this role.

Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at FINRA (Washington, DC) in September 2016.

Interview

There are 3 interviews, each lasting 1 hour and having 2 interviewers. The interviews are tailored to your resume. The interviews are not very well organized, but somehow, manage to start off and finish. The folks seem people friendly, though, they seem swamped with work, and the interviewee seems not to be a priority; I don't think they need people that badly to really care about the candidates. I had a very good interview experience and thought all questions are fair, once the process started. I felt that I could have done better, but the technical questions they asked me is not something I regularly do.

Interview Questions

• This question deals with "reference lookup" using MapReduce (MR). You have 2 data sets, one is the actual data and the other is the "reference" dataset used for lookup, how do you determine the association between them? For example, dataset 1, looks like the following.

child, parent
      C, B
      D, B
      E, B

The reference dataset 2, looks like the following.

child, parent
      B, A

You are asked to output the following using Hadoop.

B, A
      C, A
      D, A
      E, A

This problem is a real problem of theirs; not a toy problem. They are having problems using the reference dataset as a "lookup". It is slow using HBase, which is their NoSQL of choice.   Answer Question
    • Given 2 datasets that are supposed to be identical (same number of rows and columns), how do you determine their difference? For example, dataset 1 at time 0 looks like the following.

id, name, age, weight
      1, john, 28, 130
      2, jane, 25, 110
      3, jacob, 20, 150

Dataset 2 at time 1 looks like the following.

id, name, age, weight
      1, john, 29, 150
      2, jane, 26, 115
      4, martha, 18, 105

Note that the datasets differ in
      a. dataset 1 has "jacob" but NOT "martha", and dataset 2 has "martha" but NOT "jacob"
      b. the matching records in datasets 1 and 2 differ at a field level too. e.g. john in dataset 1 is 28 but john in dataset 2 is 29.

Use Spark to "diff" (analyze the difference) between the two datasets.

This problem is a real problem of theirs; not a toy problem. They want to use the Spark API such that it scales and does not result of memory problems.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at FINRA (Rockville, MD) in September 2016.

Interview

Phone Screen with one of the SDET's. Interviewer is focused on SQL and Java. If you are not into Java, expect the least complex questions in other programming languages, then Resume walkthrough. More questions on SQL

Interview Questions

• How can you ensure data copy from table A to table B is successful?
      Questions on Joins
      Difference between SQL, NoSQL   Answer Question

Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at FINRA (Washington, DC).

Interview

Interview process was time consuming. Met with several current employees, when one or two would have been sufficient, as no additional insight about the position or work environment provided. After several interviews and extremely encouraging feedback, mislead about receiving an offer.

Extreme lack of professional courtesy in failing to notify candidate of withdrawal of offer/non-offer within timeframe given by interviewer.

Interview Questions

• General questions not related to job tasks. No interest in what skills I could bring to the job.   Answer Question