FINRA Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Updated May 1, 2017

3.1

Regulatory Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at FINRA (Rockville, MD) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted to interview about two weeks later. After an initial chat with an HR person, we scheduled an interview in Rockville with three pretty senior people. I felt it was a great environment and the interview was well directed towards explaining what the job would be like, how my skills would work in that context, as well as seeing if I was a fit on a personal level. Although I did not get an offer, I felt good enough about the process and the people I met, as well as the work they described that I am still interested in FINRA.

Interview Questions

• It was actually hard to answer where I saw myself in ten years - I am often asked about five in interviews, but I really got stumped by this relatively innocuous question as applied to a longer timeframe.   1 Answer

Software Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at FINRA (Rockville, MD) in January 2017.

Interview

First, there was a phone screen. Next, you come in for an in person interview. The interview involves talking to various developers and is a typical technical interview. White boarding.

4 interviewers. 3 were engaging. 1 was very rude, to the point that if it wasn't an interview, he would be put on full blast.

Interview Questions

• Resume questions. Questions on OOP.

1. Can a method with the same return type be overridden? Why, why not?
      2. You have 8 balls, all the same weight but 1, which is lighter. How do you find the outlier?
      3. How to count unique characters in a string.
      4. Determine if a string has balanced braces.
      1 Answer

Devops Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at FINRA (Rockville, MD) in December 2016.

Interview

Applied through a staffing company and quickly got a phone screen. Got an interviewer whose first language was not English, was right out of college (confirmed via LInkedIn) and was asked vague questions and constantly had to direct the interviewer to clarify questions

Interview Questions

• In AWS, when using multiple servers to send API info, what would you do if you don't get a response?   1 Answer

UX Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at FINRA (Rockville, MD) in December 2016.

Interview

I applied to this role online and a recruiter contacted me. I then had a 30 minute phone conversation with a designer from FINRA. The interviewer was looking for someone with several years of coding experience for this role.

Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at FINRA (Washington, DC) in September 2016.

Interview

There are 3 interviews, each lasting 1 hour and having 2 interviewers. The interviews are tailored to your resume. The interviews are not very well organized, but somehow, manage to start off and finish. The folks seem people friendly, though, they seem swamped with work, and the interviewee seems not to be a priority; I don't think they need people that badly to really care about the candidates. I had a very good interview experience and thought all questions are fair, once the process started. I felt that I could have done better, but the technical questions they asked me is not something I regularly do.

Interview Questions

• This question deals with "reference lookup" using MapReduce (MR). You have 2 data sets, one is the actual data and the other is the "reference" dataset used for lookup, how do you determine the association between them? For example, dataset 1, looks like the following.

child, parent
      C, B
      D, B
      E, B

The reference dataset 2, looks like the following.

child, parent
      B, A

You are asked to output the following using Hadoop.

B, A
      C, A
      D, A
      E, A

This problem is a real problem of theirs; not a toy problem. They are having problems using the reference dataset as a "lookup". It is slow using HBase, which is their NoSQL of choice.
      Answer Question
    • Given 2 datasets that are supposed to be identical (same number of rows and columns), how do you determine their difference? For example, dataset 1 at time 0 looks like the following.

id, name, age, weight
      1, john, 28, 130
      2, jane, 25, 110
      3, jacob, 20, 150

Dataset 2 at time 1 looks like the following.

id, name, age, weight
      1, john, 29, 150
      2, jane, 26, 115
      4, martha, 18, 105

Note that the datasets differ in
      a. dataset 1 has "jacob" but NOT "martha", and dataset 2 has "martha" but NOT "jacob"
      b. the matching records in datasets 1 and 2 differ at a field level too. e.g. john in dataset 1 is 28 but john in dataset 2 is 29.

Use Spark to "diff" (analyze the difference) between the two datasets.

This problem is a real problem of theirs; not a toy problem. They want to use the Spark API such that it scales and does not result of memory problems.

Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at FINRA (Rockville, MD) in September 2016.

Interview

Phone Screen with one of the SDET's. Interviewer is focused on SQL and Java. If you are not into Java, expect the least complex questions in other programming languages, then Resume walkthrough. More questions on SQL

Interview Questions

• How can you ensure data copy from table A to table B is successful?
      Questions on Joins
      Difference between SQL, NoSQL

Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at FINRA (Washington, DC).

Interview

Interview process was time consuming. Met with several current employees, when one or two would have been sufficient, as no additional insight about the position or work environment provided. After several interviews and extremely encouraging feedback, mislead about receiving an offer.

Extreme lack of professional courtesy in failing to notify candidate of withdrawal of offer/non-offer within timeframe given by interviewer.

Interview Questions

• General questions not related to job tasks. No interest in what skills I could bring to the job.   Answer Question

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at FINRA (Rockville, MD) in March 2016.

Interview

It was simple and straight forward. They were pleasant, intelligent, and informative. The interview process was much easier then what I thought it would be. There was first a phone screening and then an in person interview with multiple leads with technical questions. The technical questions were not hard but were fair. I think it depends on your own skill level.

Interview Questions

• How to do some String manipulations in code   1 Answer

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at FINRA (Rockville, MD) in March 2016.

Interview

The manager first ask me to tell him about myself and than as me few questions thru my resume. At the end, hi ask if i have any questions to him, and tell me a little bit about their company. Interview took 30-40 min.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at FINRA (Rockville, MD) in March 2016.

Interview

had a conversation with manager , he asked me about the programming languages I'm comfortable with. Asked about my projects . Later on some one from HR talked me about offer

Interview Questions

• about projects i did and my work experience in general   Answer Question