FTI Consulting Interview Questions in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

2.6

14 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at FTI Consulting (Chicago, IL) in May 2017.

Interview

The recruiter called me after I submitted an application about 2 days after and conducted a phone interview. After that, I was told that I was to schedule another phone interview with another member of the team. I interviewed with about 4 different individuals on the team in the next few days, including 2 Skype interviews. About a week later, I had not heard anything back. I called, and they told me that they were still conducting interviews, and they would have an update for me the next day. I decided to send an email a few days later in which I finally received a rejection letter, but would like to keep me in mind for future opportunities. No big deal, it just wasn't a fit so moved on. A few weeks after, the recruiter contacted me again and said there was another opening for the same position and I was ecstatic so I tried again. This time, I had scheduled a video interview which felt very casual. Prior, I had already informed the interviewer that I would not be in town for a few days, she confirmed and we still proceeded with the interview. I received a rejection email ONE day later, claiming that they had already found someone to fill the role and extended an offer. This may sound bitter, but it felt extremely unethical, and like a waste of time which I suspect may be for filling a minimum headcount of candidates for interviews and I felt used. I have learned my lesson and will never interview for this company ever again, and share my story to encourage others not to as well, or at least not to invest much time with a recruiter or interview. It was very unsettling and a slap in the face for being someone who interviewed two different rounds at different times for the same company, to find out that the interview I spent so much time preparing for, for a second round was for no reason. I didn't get the offer because they never actually considered me in the first place. Had they mentioned that they already had the role filled and I wouldn't be considered, rather than having me interview and string me along, my experience would not have been this bad. Be honest to your candidates.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you had to juggle multiple tasks with varying levels of priority   1 Answer

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at FTI Consulting (Chicago, IL) in June 2016.

Interview

Typical with pre-set questions - very reasonable and provided next step conclusion. Had 3 back to back to back interviews which concluded with a lunch time interview. Recruiter managed the entire process remotely

Health Solutions Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at FTI Consulting (Chicago, IL).

Interview

One of the worst processes I've ever been a part of; it assured me I do not want to work here with in the Health Solution group.

Further more, screw this company. Based on my interview experience, they want to hire excel jockeys to put someone behind a computer to run excel spreadsheets all day. I'm very glad I didn't get an offer but really wish they didn't so inconsiderately and disrespectfully waste my time in the interview process I spent a colossal amount time of a week trying to figure out some functions on a stupid excel spreadsheet, which I had no prior experience with.

This was one of those interview processes where I remember the names of the people who interviewed me so that down the road I can screw them over if I get the chance.

Interview Questions

• There was an excel "case" study test that required knowledge of apparently the VBlookup function and a couple other ones to make sense of a spreadsheet. This is your typical mindless interview test since this is a very easy skill to pick up on the job. Further more, the fact that this was the test led me to believe the company really wants to hire excel jockeys first and foremost.   1 Answer

Strategic Communications Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at FTI Consulting (Chicago, IL) in February 2016.

Interview

There were many HR phone calls over a period of 3 months. After the phone calls, I was asked to come into the office for a series of in person interviews. They were all behavioral and I met with about 6 people from the department.

SummerHealthcare Solutions - Revenue Cycle Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evanston, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at FTI Consulting (Evanston, IL) in January 2016.

Interview

One 20-30 minute interview that is basically one/two behavioral(s) and one/two technical(s). I'd say at least half of the interview was the interviewer asking about one very minute point on my resume. The interviewer was also quite awkward. After he asked the first question he seemed unsure of what to ask next.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at FTI Consulting (Chicago, IL) in August 2014.

Interview

Very long process as there are many rounds of interviews but the questions are straightforward and reasonable. You are likely to meet with all levels if you are a junior applicant, so you have an opportunity to speak to peers as well as those who you will report to. The interviewers tend to really focus on how your skill set and past experiences make you a good fit for the position. You shouldn't expect to get any of those pointless personality questions like "if you were a crayon, which color would you be?" Typically, if the team thinks you're a good fit, you'll know pretty soon after your interviews if you've got the job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at FTI Consulting (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Interviewed through university. Went through only 2 rounds of interviews, the first just being a half hour, the second round consisting of a few in a row with a longer duration of time for each. All very laid back and really focusing on who you are as a person it seemed.

Interview Questions

• None were terrible, all straight forward interview questions that you would expect - why do you want to work here, etc.   Answer Question

Consultant (Restructuring Group) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at FTI Consulting (Chicago, IL) in October 2013.

Interview

I was contacted by the Restructuring team while at school by phone without having applied to the job. They invited me to dinner, having found my resume on my college Career Center's website. At dinner we had the opportunity to meet some of the members of the Restructuring team, hear a little bit about the work, and begin to forge relationships with the group. After the dinner, I officially applied for the position through the Career Center's website at my University.

I was then contacted shortly after asking me to interview on campus. The interview was very calm and natural, essentially walk me through your resume, but also asking two standard financial statement questions (If AP goes down, what happens to cash? If depreciation decreases, what happens to EBIT?)

Shortly after the interview I was contacted again by the company asking me to come in for an office visit, with three other applicants. They took us out for dinner in Chicago where we again had the opportunity to meet with and learn about some members of the Restructuring group and what work they do. After that there was a social with all FTI applicants across all departments of FTI where there was additional opportunity to meet FTI employees and learn about the company and its culture.

The next morning was the office visit. It began with a presentation about the firm. After that were three interviews with different members of the Restructuring team. These again were essentially behavioral interviews with one or two basic questions about the financial statements. There was one interview that incorporated a standard consulting brain teaser (How many nuclear warheads exist in the world today?) but it was only to see how the thought process occurred and the answer was not overly relevant.

Finally they took us out to lunch in Chicago where we again had the opportunity to meet members of the Restructuring group. The group's culture was easily determinable from all the networking opportunities, and it was clear that fit was the most important part of the interviewing process, as almost every member of the restructuring team was able to spend meaningful time with all of the applicants.

After lunch there was additional time before the Official HR closing which included all the applicants across all business units, so we had an additional interview with the fourth interviewer. Again the structure of this interview was behavioral with one or two technical financial statement questions. (If you were assigned to a company that was nearing bankruptcy, how would you first check their current financial stays?) -- This question was less cut and dry and more difficult, but again it was more of a thought process question as opposed to an answer based question.

Interview Questions

• Why should we give you the job?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Non-negotiable.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at FTI Consulting (Chicago, IL) in June 2013.

Interview

Phone call from in-house recruiter. I got an email and then they followed up with a call. I had applied online through their website. The recruiter was doing the typical phone screen to see if I basically had a pulse and could communicate. They were pleasant and I got the feeling they were doing a bunch of these in a row so it was pretty mechanical.

Interview Questions

• Mostly about my resume, ideal type of job, and salary. It was a phone screen so they were trying to see if I should come in for an interview. It was the basic questions that they could just get off my resume.   1 Answer

FEDA Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at FTI Consulting (Chicago, IL) in March 2012.

Interview

composed of 3 interviews. 2 of them were fit, the last was technical.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a client has information missing in their database   Answer Question