FTI Consulting Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

FTI Consulting Consultant Interview Questions

Updated May 27, 2017

2.9

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at FTI Consulting in September 2009.

Interview

General interview with a case.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself.   1 Answer
  • Why do you want to work at FTI?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for FTI Consulting

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at FTI Consulting (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Spent three full days jumping through hoops, meeting employees from all levels of the company; taking and passing a test that they said 85% applicants fail. Listened to snide comments about my employer and just general chest puffing about how great FTI is and how much better they are than the rest. Didn't receive an offer because of salary, something that was discussed before the hoop jumping and was told would be 'no problem' (part of the chest puffing I could only assume).
    Do yourself a favor, see how often ads come up for entry level positions and you'll see it's a revolving door over there.

Interview Questions

• take a test - basically go through documents related to a case and identify what you'd report to a client.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at FTI Consulting in January 2016.

Interview

Applied at university and was asked to return a few months after being rejected the first time and went through 3 phone interviews. After the phone interviews, I was asked to come to the office for 3 interviews that were mainly behavioral, but one was fairly technical. I then participated in a group case study with other applicants where we were given an allotted time to come up with a solution when given data and information about a company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at FTI Consulting (Boston, MA) in November 2014.

Interview

1st Round: One-on-one, 25 minute interview with a senior consultant (fresh out of master's program) at the Eastern College Career Days event in Fall 2014. I was hand-selected to be interviewed from a pool of applicants. I sit down, the consultant looks over my resume and writing sample. I discuss my experience with economics at school, econometric tools I've used, and how familiar I am with the research process. I am asked to elaborate on my writing sample and describe the writing and research processes.

2nd Round: I am invited to come in for a half-day of 6 back-to-back interviews with senior managers of the Boston branch, and am informed that travel and housing will be reimbursed. (HR arranges a hotel room for me.)

I come in at 8:20 AM and my first interview is a 30-minute conference call with an MD who works remotely most of the time. The next one is a 45-minute interview with a senior MD. Afterwards, another 45-minute interview with an equally experienced MD. Another 45-minute interview with an MD who works mostly on doing financial work. Another 15-minute interview with an HR director. The last interview with another senior MD gets cancelled due to the MD getting busy.

Most of these interviews are a chance for them to get to know you, understand better your aptitude with economics and research writing, and get a feel for your fit with the firm. Their questions are almost never technical, as they ask you to talk about yourself, your experience with undergraduate economics, what your writing sample is about, why you wrote it, how you wrote it, what your thoughts were, etc.

One MD, an older scholarly gentleman, drilled me on the specifics of my paper and asked me about other papers that I wrote about. It was somewhat difficult doing that on the spot, since I've never really verbally explained to someone about a research paper from start to finish. I think I was underprepared. Otherwise, most of the questions were very fit-based and focused on you being able to show them your knowledge of econometrics so far.

There's plenty of time to ask them questions. Most 45-minute interview sessions had me asking them questions on work they did/are doing and what their work flow looks like. Some chit-chat here and there.

I get told by e-mail less than a week later that I am not offered a job. Another candidate, who has taken a lot more senior-level economics classes than I have (and was writing a thesis--I was not), was offered a job.

Interview Questions

• Perhaps one of the most important questions: Why are you interested in doing economic consulting? Why economics? Be convincing!   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at FTI Consulting (London, England (UK)) in February 2013.

Interview

Interesting interview- but standard questions and standard people. I should have known when they interviewed me that i wasn't supposed to go here- but you live and learn!!! I would not recommend you doing this

Interview Questions

• What do you see as the major challenges for the financial industry over the next 10 years.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at FTI Consulting (Washington, DC) in December 2013.

Interview

The interview process consisted of 1 phone interview with a recruiter, a meeting with 3 higher ups in office, and a phone interview.

The meeting with the three higher ups in the office also consisted of a test.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at FTI Consulting (London, England (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

Presentation and Interview Questions
    Had to prepare an interview on a pre-seen topic and then answer general questions about myself, knowledge of the company and the PR industry.
    Questions ranged from types that were aimed to rattle you including critiques of your presentation and CV and competency based questions.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at FTI Consulting (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

Campus resume drop. On-campus interview (30 minutes). In-office Super Day (4 hours).

The process was fairly efficient except for the happenings after the Super Day - it took 2 weeks for FTI to extend an offer.

I would suggest attending their events to get your face out their. The on-campus interview is focused on your past experience, and the in-house interview is more forward-looking in terms of evaluating your fit at FTI.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work in consulting and not quantitative finance?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at FTI Consulting (Washington, DC).

Interview

I interviewed at the Center for Healthcare Economics and Policy. First round was a half hour phone interview and the second was a five hour in-person interview with several different people and including an Excel-based case study. For the case study, I was given an hour to answer four questions from a data set and then presented my conclusions to the team afterwards.

Interview Questions

• The phone interview included a pop quiz: What factors are contributing to rising health care costs as a percentage of GDP across the globe?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at FTI Consulting (Boston, MA) in October 2011.

Interview

Very nice interview process. Two nights of drinks with the staff. The interview is 6 hours long with a case study, presentation, and 6 interviews.