FTI Consulting Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 27, 2017

2.9

59 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at FTI Consulting (Washington, DC) in September 2015.

Interview

Not too hard. I interviewed with three managing directors all about a half hour to forty-five minutes in length. Asked basic questions like how does your education/experience prepare you for this role? A number of questions revolved around excel and math skills.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for FTI Consulting

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at FTI Consulting (Atlanta, GA) in September 2015.

Interview

The interview process started with a 30 minute on-campus interview. If selected, the candidate then moves onto the office interviews. The office interview was 3-4 hours long and included a lunch.

Interview Questions

• Mostly behavioral questions. Some technical questions about financial statements.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Interview

Interviewed by all "non-staff" employees. They had obviously never been given interview direction. They were awkward people in general. It lasted about 30 minutes total. They didn't ask me any questions relative to the job.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you would be a good employee?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at FTI Consulting (Boston, MA) in March 2015.

Interview

Brief phone interview followed by an in office interview with three Senior Managing Directors in the Boston Office and one Skype interview (the interviewer was in a conference call during our scheduled meeting time).

Interview Questions

• Mostly behavioral. Some easy statistics questions and questions regarding Stata.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiations, great offer.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at FTI Consulting in March 2015.

Interview

Most of the people I interviewed with were friendly and engaging. I was contacted via LinkedIn based on skills present on my profile, and met with the person contacting me. First round was just a basic behavioral meeting.

Second round was a case interview which on the whole was not too difficult, just sifting through a lot of data and telling a story with the information to interviewers.

The third round, after being called back post-case interview, was overall a negative experience. I believed that since I had been through the case interview and had been called back that the rest of the interview process would be goodness of fit. The third round felt like a first round interview; lots of questioning my choice to interview with the company - overall, it felt negative and unprofessional. Furthermore, I had been contacted by them to begin with, so the way I see it, we needed to both decide we would want to work together.

Then, on top of all of this, two weeks later, after having officially applied online, I was notified by their email subsystem that I 'would no longer be considered for the position.' Thinking this was strange, I contacted the employee who had made initial contact with me, and they told me that they had not made a decision and that this email was a mistake. Since contacting that person about the email, I have yet to hear anything from them.

Overall, I am surprised at the hiccups along the way in this process. From what I have read on Glassdoor, most have not experienced this type of process.

Interview Questions

• Why do you not want to use either of your degrees in your career?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at FTI Consulting (Berkeley, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I got an on-campus interview that was around 45 minutes or so. The interviewer basically went through my resume and asked me about a lot of my experiences, why I wanted to apply to FTI consulting, what other jobs I was applying to, etc. The whole interview process was relaxed and there weren't many technical questions at all.

Interview Questions

• The interviewer went through my transcript and asked me why I got Bs in the classes that I did.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at FTI Consulting.

Interview

First round, phone interview. Spoke with their HR department. She asked very basic questions about my background and work eligibility, many of which I had submitted along with my application. Didn't ask much about my interest in the company, but was very diligent in answering my questions. She said the company would follow-up within a week of the interview.

Interview Questions

• No trick questions, very straight forward. The interview felt rushed.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at FTI Consulting (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

Three "phases:" On campus interview, pre super day happy hour, actual super day. A combination of behavioral and technical questions, although the technical questions were not a full blown case study or full on financial technical interview. Interviewers were friendly, prepared, and would all later on be future colleagues in one capacity or another.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at FTI Consulting (Boston, MA) in November 2014.

Interview

1st Round: One-on-one, 25 minute interview with a senior consultant (fresh out of master's program) at the Eastern College Career Days event in Fall 2014. I was hand-selected to be interviewed from a pool of applicants. I sit down, the consultant looks over my resume and writing sample. I discuss my experience with economics at school, econometric tools I've used, and how familiar I am with the research process. I am asked to elaborate on my writing sample and describe the writing and research processes.

2nd Round: I am invited to come in for a half-day of 6 back-to-back interviews with senior managers of the Boston branch, and am informed that travel and housing will be reimbursed. (HR arranges a hotel room for me.)

I come in at 8:20 AM and my first interview is a 30-minute conference call with an MD who works remotely most of the time. The next one is a 45-minute interview with a senior MD. Afterwards, another 45-minute interview with an equally experienced MD. Another 45-minute interview with an MD who works mostly on doing financial work. Another 15-minute interview with an HR director. The last interview with another senior MD gets cancelled due to the MD getting busy.

Most of these interviews are a chance for them to get to know you, understand better your aptitude with economics and research writing, and get a feel for your fit with the firm. Their questions are almost never technical, as they ask you to talk about yourself, your experience with undergraduate economics, what your writing sample is about, why you wrote it, how you wrote it, what your thoughts were, etc.

One MD, an older scholarly gentleman, drilled me on the specifics of my paper and asked me about other papers that I wrote about. It was somewhat difficult doing that on the spot, since I've never really verbally explained to someone about a research paper from start to finish. I think I was underprepared. Otherwise, most of the questions were very fit-based and focused on you being able to show them your knowledge of econometrics so far.

There's plenty of time to ask them questions. Most 45-minute interview sessions had me asking them questions on work they did/are doing and what their work flow looks like. Some chit-chat here and there.

I get told by e-mail less than a week later that I am not offered a job. Another candidate, who has taken a lot more senior-level economics classes than I have (and was writing a thesis--I was not), was offered a job.

Interview Questions

• Perhaps one of the most important questions: Why are you interested in doing economic consulting? Why economics? Be convincing!   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at FTI Consulting in October 2014.

Interview

Learned of the position through TAMU Engineering Career. Applied online and received an email after a couple weeks to schedule an on-campus interview. I was unable to attend in person, but they allowed me to participate in a 20 minute phone interview.

Interview Questions

• Name a time where you had to work through a problem.   1 Answer

They offered to fly me to Houston for a second interview, but I decided it was better for me to pursue an opportunity that was "real" engineering, where I would actually put my degree to work for a bit. It didn't sound like a bad gig at all down the line though, no technical number crunching, more analytical thinking.