FTI Consulting Interview Questions | Glassdoor

FTI Consulting Interview Questions

Updated May 27, 2017

2.9

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at FTI Consulting.

Interview

Applied on University career site, got interview as I was initially an alternate. One case interview and one behavioral. The case interview began with requiring you to briefly run through your background and resume. The behavioral interview was basic questions about strengths/weaknesses, how others perceive you.

Interview Questions

• Fast food restaurant has been local market sales leader for 10 years. This past year, two new restaurants came into the market and bumped down your profits.   Answer Question

Corporate Finance Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at FTI Consulting (Boston, MA) in October 2015.

Interview

Had on campus interviews, one was a 1v1 and one was a 2v1, then got a final round which was in their office in Boston and was like 6 30 minute interviews with all of their SMDs, and then a group case study and presentation on the zoots refinancing case. We had to submit a written case analysis prior to this on the question of whether or not you would invest in this company.

Interview Questions

• what would your friends say is the best and worst quality about you   Answer Question

Managing Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at FTI Consulting (New York, NY).

Interview

Extensive, intensive, detailed, the interview process made me respect the company for the high standards it required to be hired. But this was also a frustrating process of talking to an extraordinary number of people over a six month process. Nonetheless, this turned out to be one of the best jobs I have ever had. I recommend FTI Consulting highly.

Interview Questions

• What was my background in the relevant industries?   1 Answer

Core Restructuring Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at FTI Consulting (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

Two skype interviews back to back with a senior associate and manager. FTI recruits on my campus. One interview was mostly behavioral, asked how my past internships fit into job, leadership style etc. Other interview was more difficult, asked me to explain a company in detail (profits, how much it is worth, distribution channels etc) also asked to explain how I would address net working capital issues.

Interview Questions

• Choose any company and tell me how they make money and how much you think they are worth.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at FTI Consulting (Boston, MA) in November 2014.

Interview

1st Round: One-on-one, 25 minute interview with a senior consultant (fresh out of master's program) at the Eastern College Career Days event in Fall 2014. I was hand-selected to be interviewed from a pool of applicants. I sit down, the consultant looks over my resume and writing sample. I discuss my experience with economics at school, econometric tools I've used, and how familiar I am with the research process. I am asked to elaborate on my writing sample and describe the writing and research processes.

2nd Round: I am invited to come in for a half-day of 6 back-to-back interviews with senior managers of the Boston branch, and am informed that travel and housing will be reimbursed. (HR arranges a hotel room for me.)

I come in at 8:20 AM and my first interview is a 30-minute conference call with an MD who works remotely most of the time. The next one is a 45-minute interview with a senior MD. Afterwards, another 45-minute interview with an equally experienced MD. Another 45-minute interview with an MD who works mostly on doing financial work. Another 15-minute interview with an HR director. The last interview with another senior MD gets cancelled due to the MD getting busy.

Most of these interviews are a chance for them to get to know you, understand better your aptitude with economics and research writing, and get a feel for your fit with the firm. Their questions are almost never technical, as they ask you to talk about yourself, your experience with undergraduate economics, what your writing sample is about, why you wrote it, how you wrote it, what your thoughts were, etc.

One MD, an older scholarly gentleman, drilled me on the specifics of my paper and asked me about other papers that I wrote about. It was somewhat difficult doing that on the spot, since I've never really verbally explained to someone about a research paper from start to finish. I think I was underprepared. Otherwise, most of the questions were very fit-based and focused on you being able to show them your knowledge of econometrics so far.

There's plenty of time to ask them questions. Most 45-minute interview sessions had me asking them questions on work they did/are doing and what their work flow looks like. Some chit-chat here and there.

I get told by e-mail less than a week later that I am not offered a job. Another candidate, who has taken a lot more senior-level economics classes than I have (and was writing a thesis--I was not), was offered a job.

Interview Questions

• Perhaps one of the most important questions: Why are you interested in doing economic consulting? Why economics? Be convincing!   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at FTI Consulting (London, England (UK)) in February 2013.

Interview

Interesting interview- but standard questions and standard people. I should have known when they interviewed me that i wasn't supposed to go here- but you live and learn!!! I would not recommend you doing this

Interview Questions

• What do you see as the major challenges for the financial industry over the next 10 years.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at FTI Consulting.

Interview

On campus first (and only) round interview with two senior members of the firm. The interview was almost exclusively behavioral. The questions were designed to gauge analytical skills and thinking. Offer was extended shortly after the on-campus interview and sufficient time was provided to respond.

Interview Questions

• Take a technical concept that you understand and explain it to me as if I did not know it at all   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at FTI Consulting (Washington, DC) in December 2013.

Interview

The interview process consisted of 1 phone interview with a recruiter, a meeting with 3 higher ups in office, and a phone interview.

The meeting with the three higher ups in the office also consisted of a test.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at FTI Consulting (London, England (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

Presentation and Interview Questions
    Had to prepare an interview on a pre-seen topic and then answer general questions about myself, knowledge of the company and the PR industry.
    Questions ranged from types that were aimed to rattle you including critiques of your presentation and CV and competency based questions.

Economic and Financial Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at FTI Consulting (London, England (UK)).

Interview

I was invited to attend the first round interview which comprises two tests (verbal and Maths) and a CV based interview. The tests are difficult. I prepared GMAT style questions for both. However, I found the Maths test is actually more a SHL style - except, you will find time very limited and unable to finish. There are graph reading kind of questions, simple in nature, but also as I mentioned, you would really struggle with time. Verbal is GMAT style, including Verbal reasoning (which answer would weaken the argument kind of question), Reading comprehensive (one very long article with several questions) and Grammar correction (this takes about 1/3 of the total questions). You will find time limited but it's doable to finish all of them.

The CV based interview is very straightforward, you will be asked "tell me about yourself", "have you ever been criticized in working", "how do you like managing people" kind of questions.

Interview Questions

• "tell me about yourself", "have you ever been criticized in working", "how do you like managing people" kind of questions.   1 Answer