Facebook Android Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Facebook Android Developer Interview Questions

Interviews at Facebook

3.2

Android Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in July 2020.

Interview

With the news that FB was opening up to remote positions, I decided to finally respond to one of the FB recruiters I was seeing in my email every other month. We set me up for a phone screening 3 weeks down the line with the expectation that I should study up for it.

Interview Questions

• Given n representing a range44 of numbers 1 through n and one of those numbers is bad. Find the bad number.   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Android Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in February 2019.

Interview

I have applied through a recruiter. The Initial phone screen interview was for 45 min. Used codepad session during the interview process. After introduction, asked some Android related questions. Followed by algorithmic questions.

Interview Questions

• What happens in between clicking an app icon and app is launched?   6 Answers
    • What is a AndroidManifest file?   4 Answers
    • What is a service?   1 Answer
    • How do you determine if arrays elements are monotonic or not?

Ex: {1,2,3,4} - true
      {4,3,2,1} - true
      {1,3,3,4} - true
      {4,5,3,1} - false   1 Answer
    • Given a binary tree, return all paths from leaf to root   Answer Question

Android Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Facebook in April 2018.

Interview

This was the Initial phone interview after being messaged via LinkedIn - I talked about my background and was then asked these interview questions. It was very professional and overall a good experience - we are moving on to the next steps and I was suggested to brush up on my Computer Science fundamentals as I've noted by reading previous interviews.

Interview Questions

• If you nest a RelativeLayout inside a LinearLayout then which layout parameters will the RelativeLayout use?

a. RelativeLayout.layoutparams
      b. Viewgroup.margin
      c. Viewgroup.layoutParams
      d. LinearLayout.layoutParams   2 Answers
    • Photo sharing app. user receives new photo and a notification is created and the user clicks on the notification. What do you attach to the notification to open the app and show the user the photo?
      a. intent
      b. photoIntent
      c. PendingIntent
      d. Service   3 Answers
    • App that periodically checks if something is "working" What do you use?
      a. Wakelock with power manager
      b. setInexactRepeating
      c. Post Handler
      d. call set periodic timer   1 Answer
    • The user is in their text messaging app - they click share - how do you get your app to show up?
      a. intent service
      b. broadcast receiver
      c. register content observer to telephone
      d. register an intent filter   2 Answers

Android Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in March 2018.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter through Linked in. She spoke with me about my work history for a few minutes and then asked me some basic android questions. Then she told me that they would like to schedule me for a phone interview with a developer.

I was scheduled for an interview 20 days from that date.

My phone interviewer was nice, but his speech was hard to understand. He talked with me for 5 minutes or so about my work history and then jumped into a code question. The coding question was about adding binary numbers. He provided me with two binary strings to add, and when I added them and got the result he was looking for, he told me that he wanted me to add them a different way. He wanted me to write a for loop to iterate through the binary strings and then add the two strings which would ultimately give the same result.

We ran out of time, and he told me that I should study more and try again later. I left the interview confused, and a bit disgruntled with the process.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to iterate through binary strings by character and then add the individual integers from the strings.   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in December 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter and setup an initial HR phone interview. After a few days scheduled an online collaborative coding interview. Once you passed that you'll be invited for an onsite interview. 4 interviews in total, 1 behavioral, 1 system design, and 2 coding questions. I think I performed well enough for all the interviews. I was able to provide solutions for all of the coding problems.

The result for the interview process took more than a month. At first they said that the results would be given after a week. Recruiters does not even reply properly to follow ups. Then I got the email that I was rejected. Very bad experience on the hiring process.

Interview Questions

• Leetcode/hacker rank questions   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook (San Jose, CA).

Interview

It was a phone screen interview and I was asked about my previous projects.
    Questions on Relative layout and Linear layout, how to display notifications on the screen. I was asked if I am familiar with libraries.

Interview Questions

• Basic android questions like, which one would you prefer using fragments or views and why?
       how to display notifications on screen.   5 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA) in September 2017.

Interview

1. Receive recruiter email
    2. Submit my CV
    3. Arrange screening test via phone call by recruiter
    4. Screening test by other FB engineer via coderpad
    5. On-site deep tech inteerview
    6. Job attitude & aptitude interview
    7. Say hi to your maybe teammates or receive an 'unfortunately...' email

Interview Questions

• They asked me how to abstract a business problem(aggregate a set of numbers and groupise them by given rules) and analyse its time and apace complexity   1 Answer
    • A what if question about your product if it is enlarged to Facebook scale - normalising input, scale out strategy, a definition of quality and controlling methodlogy   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter to apply at Facebook for a job at their HQ in Menlo Park. I took the opportunity and did the phone interview. This interview was fairly easy and well structured. I then was invited out to Melo Park for an on site interview. The whole experience was good overall. Facebook paid for my travel and accomodations and food and everything else. The interviews were extremely difficult however and there were a total of 5 interviews, each 45ish minutes long. It was a long day to say the least but overall, my experience was good.

Interview Questions

• I cant really give out the questions I was asked, however, I can say I was asked 6 or 7 different coding questions, ranging in difficulty. However, they were all fairly difficult   4 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Was contacted by recruiter from Facebook. After sometime got interviewed via phone.
    After passing phone interview was invited to onsite interview.
    About a week after interview got notified by recruiter that I didn't pass interview.

Interview Questions

• Was asked on phone interview to reverse a linked list. Then had a discussion about ways to improve the solution.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

This was online interview. At first interview was scheduled on 00:00 because manager never checked, where I live. After my request it was shifted to 22:30. Unfortunately interviewer could not call me via Skype. He blame that I have outdated Skype version and should check software. This is strange, because as freelancer I use this tool every day and never had problems before.
    Interview was re-scheduled. Second interviewer could not use Skype as well, he told me that I'm offline. Strange, because I wrote him a message via Skype chat :) So we had to use phone and this was not comfortable.
    Coding assignment was really easy, though interviewer was not able to describe it clear enough from the very beginning.
    Every candidate could ask question at the end of interview. I wanted to know, if they use reactive approach in developing. Unfortunately my interviewer didn't hear neither about RxJava or about Java 8 streams API at all. You are not obligated to use this in your work, but these are things you could know about from Android Weekly at least :)