Facebook Data Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Facebook Data Analyst Interview Questions

3.3

13 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Facebook (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

Contacted a colleague who works at Facebook, she gave my resume to HR team. HR called me for first interview over the phone. Had two more phone interviews with hiring managers. Was asked to come in for an in-person interview at NY headquarters, which consisted of 6 different back-to-back interviews. Everyone was nice, personable, and interesting to talk to.

Interview Questions

• They asked an open-ended problem-solving question to gauge creativity in thinking.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

The resume was submitted ny my friend via internal system. After couple months recruiter contacted me with an offer for a junior position. After initial phone screening in 2 weeks I had phone interview. The interviewer was very nice and helping. I did bad, perhaps I was too nervous.

Interview Questions

• Simple SQL query, how to measure new product effectiveness.   1 Answer

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in May 2015.

Interview

Two phone interview since i am not in the bay area. First one with a data scientist and the second one with the hiring manager. The first one went well and there are a lot of data manipulating and modeling questions. During the second interview, the hiring manager seems impatient and urge to end the interview. The 45 mins interview becomes 25 mins. I feel it is a bit rude since the time is scheduled ahead and there is no time left for questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Facebook (Austin, TX) in August 2014.

Interview

I was called in for an interview after a friend that worked there passed along my resume. The interview was extremely casual. I was dressed in black slacks and a blouse, and I felt a little overdressed. 3 people interviewed me, all in Hawaiian shirts. 1 guy told me that he didn't even know he'd be interviewing me, and was unprepared. Another had me follow him to a room that was being used for something else. I waited about 30 minutes for the last interviewer, who asked standard "clipboard" interview questions. She told me we only had 5 minutes to ask questions and rushed through my answers. Then she gave me 10 minutes at the end to ask my questions.

Interview Questions

• What is something you consider yourself an expert at? .....Explain how to do it to somebody that has never heard of it before.   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Interview

Phone interview with HR is the first step in the screening process. HR reps don't know much about the roles other than bullet point requirements. Facebook is still engineering heavy and they seem to prefer that everyone have a CS or similar background which is strange since they don't advertise business development roles as such but stress deep experience with databases and programming during the interview. HR does not seem to care if you come from a non-technical background but are perfectly capable of learning new processes and tools on the job. As a new media tech company resorting to initial phone screenings in order to vet candidates is bad form.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (New York, NY) in February 2012.

Interview

Applied online, right on facebook. About a month later, an HR lady contacted me through email to set up a phone screen. I had the phone interview within 3 days. The initial phone screen was quite intense for a call with HR; and I was asked some technical questions. However, she said she was impressed and would pass me along to the next round. I was emailed to schedule a next round interview, but was then emailed a canned rejection email. I thought it might be a mistake, so I followed-up, but didn't get any response.

Interview Questions

• Why facebook?   Answer Question
    • Give me an example of when you worked with a large database, and were able to get insights from it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Facebook (East Palo Alto, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

I was referred by by of the Facebook employees. They first sent me a list of problems that I had to complete by the end of the week. The questions were testing my knowledge of data models and analytics used in Facebook plugins. They asked me about the marketing strategies of the plugin to third party developers and to describe a value proposition. The phone interview consisted of two parts, first was a general conversation about my background and then about the company and the job that I was applying for. Then there were two questions, one was a quantitative puzzle and the second was a programming question, I had to login remotely and type in the code to solve a problem, while my interviewer was evaluating it. I did not got an offer in the end.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (London, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

I started the interview process with Facebook in October 2016 when I was contacted by the recruiter from he company. The recruiter explained about the position, role, expectations and the process in great detail during our first call which went on for around 45 minutes.
    I had two Telephonic/Skype interviews of 1 hour each. First round was around SQL and second Python.

I was communicated the response within 2-3 days and I had further call with another recruiter who explained to me the process for Onsite interview. Since I was based out of India and position was in London it took me some time to get the Visa and other formalities completed before going for actual Face to Face onsite interviews.

On campus interviews were a bit different and I had 4 interviews in one day. 3 out of 4 rounds were full stack interviews, that is they spanned from data ingestion to data modelling to SQL skills business understanding (metrics) and dashboard reporting. All 3 rounds covered different problems and the last round was a fitment round which was kind of managerial round, and I was asked more scenario based questions to check my work style and attitude. I was communicated the final response again with 3 days, which was pretty fast i would say. Overall I enjoyed the process as it was interesting to have more of discussions with the interviewers rather than the typical question answer based interviews.

Interview Questions

• Interview Questions were average on difficulty level if you put some thought to it.
      Screening rounds were more of question answers based where they gave you a problem and expected an answer.

Python:
      Find the max no from the given set of elements in an array (without using max function)
      Find the minimum absolute difference between the set of elements of an array.
      Python Coding Questions that involved a hashmap. Know your basics well
      Print Max element of a given list
      Print median of a given list
      Print the first nonrecurring element in a list
      Print the most recurring element in a list
      HCF/Greatest common Factor of List
      LCM of list

Sql:
      find the highest salary per department
      Select employee from departments where max salary of the department is 40k
      Select employee assigned to projects
      Select employee which have the max salary in a given department
      Select employee with second highest salary
      Table has two data entries every day for # of apples and oranges sold. write a query to get the difference between the apples and oranges sold on a given day
      Typical questions around Group by, Joins during screening round they used MYSQL so practice solutions with basic SQL as the version i was working on didn't support analytical functions or other advanced features.

Face To Face Rounds (Fullstack):
      To begin I was asked about different metrics which could be reported given the dataset/information or scenario. Then interviewer picked up a metrics and asked to draw on whiteboard what kind of graph/chart will I use to display the information. Then going further asked about the table structures and data model which will be required to support the dashboard. Interviewer then provided the initial data set which is 1 case was a log file and in another some detail level tables, I was asked to write a programming code to read, parse and load data to tables. Then along the way once we have our code tables and dashboard finalized i was asked to write SQL's for different steps in the whole pipeline.   4 Answers

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hyderabad (India)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Facebook (Hyderabad (India)) in April 2016.

Interview

One written round and two technical interview.
    Written round - A lot of questions on SQL and advanced excel; a few aptitude questions.
    Intermediate knowledge of SQL would suffice.
    Technical Interviews - Write SQL queries to pull data. Questions on excel and about any tool you have mentioned in our resume. Make sure that you know every single thing you have mentioned on your resume

Interview Questions

• SQL query to find the nth highest salary
      Questions related to vlookup, Iferror, offset   1 Answer

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderabad (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Facebook (Hyderabad (India)).

Interview

Recruiter contacted me to know basic of my profile. They shared details with FB hr then my profile short listed and they set up interview round. Before set up interview HR asked me basic technical question on SQL, Excel and Python. I was not able to give correct answer python domain so She shortlisted my profile for SQL and Excel.

In telephonic Interview round there was two phase.
    First Phase was on aptitude and general understanding of FB.
    Second was technical round, It was run for 40-45 min on SQL and Excel.

Interview Questions

• SQL : Difference between drop, delete and truncate? Having vs Where? Union vs Join?

Excel: Dived data in columns by separator, Delete duplicate rows, Pivot table all it functionalities, Many Excel function and their parameters

Aptitude: How many cars on rode in your city? How many iphone needed to fill one bus? Explain Fb to some one who don't know anything about internet? Why you want join FB? Suggestion to improve FB?   1 Answer