Facebook Data Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Facebook Data Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jun 25, 2017

3.4

Anonymous Employee in West Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook (West Menlo Park, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

I applied online and at a career fair - not sure which led me to get a call (after nearly 2 months). Scheduled a two-part phone interview (SQL and Python). In comparison, the SQL interview was a tad bit more difficult but both were very straight forward. The questions were along the same lines as the other interviews. Was invited onsite 2 hours after my phone interview was done.
The onsite interviews were super interesting and a lot of fun. Knowing the product was the most important skill there followed by SQL and then algorithms (pretty basic ones too). The recriter offered me the job 2 days later.
Overall the best part of this entire process (apart from the super fun interviews) was the people I interacted with. The recruiter and the interviewers were amazing, kind and respectful. I was given a lot of prep material before the interview and was offered a lot of help during. This was simply the best interview process I went through. Cannot wait to be a part of the team

Interview Questions

• Phone Interviews - covered by other interviews on glassdoor   Answer Question
  • Onsite - 3 full stack interviews: given a KPI, choose the right metric, perform ETL (SQL/Code) . 1 lunch interview - casual discussion where you learn more about working in facebook and the interviewer tries to understand if you are a good fit.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter on linked in. Told them I wasn't in the process of looking for a job, and hadn't prepared for interviews yet, and they told me that they would be happy to wait for me to prepare and interview me. Gave me over a month to prepare, before I did 2 45 minute phone interviews.

Phone interview was pretty much exactly as everyone else explained. Note to readers: If you saw people who thought the interview process was easy, you also noticed that they didn't often get offers. They ask challenging questions, and expect you to explain your thought process in solving the problems. It was a challenging process, but very fair. I actually struggled quite a bit on my coding interview, but I did very well on my SQL portion, and because I communicated my thought process clearly in my coding section, they decided to move forward.

In departure from what I have ever experienced, I got a phone call from a manager explaining the onsite interview process to me, what he was generally looking for in a candidate, and what the general process was like. It was a really cool thing, I really felt like they wanted me to succeed, and that they weren't actively rooting against me.

The onsite was 3 full stack interviews. There were some questions that were pretty tough, but it was a realistic interview that really tested how you'd think and perform on a day to day basis.

Interview Questions

• Pretty much in line with what other people have been asked.   23 Answers

Data Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook in May 2017.

Interview

Recruiter reached out to me on LinkedIn. The technical interviews were setup a month later consisting of SQL and Python coding questions over the phone using Coderpad. The questions asked were as expected from the other reviews here, although I did not do so well because I wasn't used to Coderpad. For the SQL portion they really want you to figure out how to write it in one query instead of using subqueries or joins.

Interview Questions

• What are the states with a total of x amount of square feet?   1 Answer

Data Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook in May 2017.

Interview

Recruiter reached out to me for initial phone screen. Then set up a 1 hr phone screen with Data Engineer that covered SQL and Python. Got all of the questions correct, but needed help on the final Pythin question. Recruiter reached out to me again, and I had to do a second coding screen, similar to the first. This time it was strictly on Python. I got all correct, but I stumbled on the final python problem. Recruiter reached back out to me a couple days later with feedback, some positve and some mediocre. I needed more experience and a better though process basically. So I did not move to the onsite interview. I enjoyed interviewing though, the interviewers were nice.

Interview Questions

• Python
      -Count distinct words in a sentence
      -Count the number of times a word appear in a sentence using a Hash Map
      -Return tuples of a list, matching each item to another item
      -Count the number of times a substring appear in a string

SQL
      -Return min and max age of male/female who bought a product
      -Count the number of stores in a state with grand total ? 25000 sq feet
      2 Answers

Data Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

I had a recruiter reach out to me on LinkedIn. It was a very pleasant conversation. He said that he was going to set up a technical interview for me. It took about a month. They gave me lots of resources to look over and an outline of the interview in a email. The technical interview was two 45 min sessions with a 15 min break in between. One covering Python (or Java if you are stronger in that language) and one covering MySQL. The interviewers were very helpful and would give hints if you requested them. Overall it was one of the nicest interview processes I have been through.

Interview Questions

• How many unique world are in the provided string?   6 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

It was a great experience. The interviewer called me asking for some introductory information and then I was moved forward to the phone interviews. Two rounds each of 45 minutes with one being on SQL and the other on Python.
    Then I moved to onsite where there were three rounds each of which was scenario based and had to design and develop Data models. It was fun

Interview Questions

• Basic SQL and Python Questions   5 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Recruiter reached out on Linkedin. In the call we recruiter we discussed about my background and the fit in the role. Later we setup phone interviews SQL and Coding(Python). Both the interviews focused on basics. Recruiter will send study material and going through all those practice will be good enough for phone interviews. The key here is being fast at answering questions. Looks like the number of questions you answer correctly in the phone interview is important.

Interview Questions

• SQL:
      1. Get the states with more the than 100000 population
      2. Count the number of products which sold more than 10 units
      3. Get youngest customer who bought atleast 1 product
      4. Get the areas from which we have the products sold

Python
      1. Count the number of unique words in a sequence?
      2. Print the part of the array of numbers
      3. Check the substring in the string
      4. Question on exceptions
      2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter, then got set up with a phone Coderpad interview that was 90 min covering SQL and DS&A / coding (half and half). Onsite was end to end case study based. Very realistic interviews; good experience overall.

Interview Questions

• Implement data pipeline to answer business question   26 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Facebook (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Conducted through external recruiter, then video chat with member of FB data team. Asked soft behavioral questions and then some technical questions about Python and SQL. Fairly pleasant experience. Probably helps to learn more about the international aspects of the data team.

Interview Questions

• Easy data structures in Python, SQL query questions   2 Answers

Data Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in March 2017.

Interview

I had a chat with a recruiter and the phone interview was scheduled. Phone interview consists of two 45 minutes technical interviews - Python/SQL. Other reviews pretty much capture questions you should prepare.
    Interviewers are nice and the overall experience was good. However, you will never hear back from the recruiter if you are not moving forward. I heard that there are recruiters doing that to save themselves few minutes but I expected Facebook would be different. If you don't hear after a few weeks and after few emails, stop wasting your time.

Interview Questions

• Typical Algorithm/Data Structure Problem and SQL Joins/Functions   1 Answer