Facebook Data Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Data Engineer

Create your profile to get personalized information

Facebook Data Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Facebook

3.2

Data Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Facebook in February 2019.

Interview

60min Coding Interview SQL&Python using Coderpad, finish as many questions as you can. Explain your logic while you are coding. Cross questioning on performance improvements or alternative solutions. Coderpad SQL questions with buildin data schema. Python Valid IP address, graph node count, average word length.

Interview Questions

• Coderpad SQL questions with buildin data schema   1 Answer
  • Python Valid IP address   1 Answer
  • Python graph node count   1 Answer
  • Python average word length   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Data Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Recruiter Phone Screen, Online test in MySQL, and Coding in a language (Java, Scala, Python) of your choice, and 5 hr in-person interview (4 1 hr interviews and 1 hr lunch provided by company).

Interview Questions

• Phone: SQL qs are pretty basic on equi joins, outer joins, and self joins. Coding exercises are pretty basic like word search, etc. Time is a crunch (1hr). You have to keep explaining while coding so that the interviewer online understands your thought process. In Person: Some live coding exercise, tougher than phone qs, product sense, visualization.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA) in January 2019.

Interview

The initial stage is the recruiter asks multiple SQL questions, then leads to other questions if you pass the SQL part. I did not get enough SQL questions correct, so I was automatically disqualified.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA) in September 2018.

Interview

1. Recruiter Call initial screening.
    2. SQL and Python Programming interview, 30 min each, I was able to complete exact 3-3 questions from SQL and Python each. Last question in python needed some help.

One negative thing: for the programming interview interviewer didn't call me on the home phone number I provided to recruiter. They called on the cell number specified in the resume. I even two times asked recruiter before interview to make sure they call me on my home number. Recruiter confirmed but still they called on the cell number.

Interview Questions

• SQL: The names of salespeople that have 2 or more orders. When was the earliest and latest order made ? cumulative sum
      Python: IP Address Binary Search, Facebook Friends Tree,   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in January 2019.

Interview

The interview has two main parts a phone screen and an longer in person interview section full of longer questions.
    The phone interview is pretty standard 1 hour, half SQL questions and half generic programming questions, follow the advice of the recruiter to prepare for these. The name of the game is being quick, the more questions you see the better off you will be.

The in person interview will consist of 3 problem solving interviews, in my experience you will be given a scenario of a data engineering problem (i.e how to be identify the metrics for performance for this specific feature) and you will be expected to write SQL and actual code for the context of the problem itself.

There will also be a more standard behavioural interview portion, asking you about your work experience, how you deal with interpersonal problems that sort of thing.

Finally there will be a casual lunch conversation where you can ask about the work culture and other day to day questions.

The interview was long but the questions were not unfair I think, and weren't your generic data structures and algorithm questions.

The interviewers themselves were very respectful and helpful and nice. I was sick the day of the interview and they allowed me to take quick breaks when needed.

Overall it was a pleasant process, no tricks to the interview you just have to prepare!

Interview Questions

• Given this data calculate this KPI
      How would you design the data model for this scenario   4 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA) in December 2018.

Interview

HR interview: go over some very high level questions about python an SQL
     Two technical interview back to back: One for python, 4-5 python questions not too hard the other for SQL

Interview Questions

• How do you join two tables with all the information on the left one unchanged?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in November 2018.

Interview

The recruiter reached me on linkedIn , we set up a phone screen which was more about the position. Then I had technical coding interview on coder pad with an other data engineer, Its not hard at all, all basics question around string,list, dictionaries. i answered 5 Sql and 5 python questions total of 1 hour.

Finally, I had my on site interview. for some reason the recruiter called the question full stack questions but there is no css or JS coding involved. All on site questions are regarding DW design, table design, Schema design and etc. The interviewers ask sql questions based on the DW that I designed for them.

The onsite questions are no match with coder pad interview. You need to have a good understanding of system architecture and system design.

I personally could not finish a python question . The question was about updating metrics (I defined the metrics to answer earlier question) for a fb module as stream of new data is coming in. As interviewer point out I was on right track having a session id and user id to de-dup same user activity, but it was not enough i guess.

My impression was they want someone who answers quickly and smoothly in all questions. I literally just missed 25 % of a python question and I got rejection. Also I got the feedback that I have good product sense and coding experience which made me fee like they expect you answer all of their questions.

One last note: They ask questions to make sure that you are not using data engineer position to switch some other questions like data scientist or etc , i heard a friend aced the technical but was rejected because of that in the last round.

Interview Questions

• Flatten a nested dictionary?? ( this was the hardest question in coder pad questions )   2 Answers

Data Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Facebook in July 2018.

Interview

interview call for 45 minutes. And the recruiter was straightforward and very clear on the questions. I had no difficulty answering only if i say can you repeat they usually dont like it.

Interview Questions

• describe a situation where you did not agree with the stakeholders and how did you handle?   2 Answers

Data Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

One phone screening. easy question. 3.5 onsite interviews. behavioral interview has no weight.
    SQL and Algorithms writing . Facebook does not want you to answer the questions correctly and verify them with test cases. They just rush to questions and counting on how many questions you can answer. In the beginning of interview, they would tell you that it will be like conversation but at the end you will realize that they are rushing through fake conversation and hold conversation against you. Requiter had no courtesy to respond after interview about when would they inform me. He informed 8 days later after two follow ups.

Interview Questions

• I answered all question 100% correctly with proper explanation still not sure what did they want.   1 Answer

Data Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

A 30 minute Phone Screening was scheduled but only took around 15 minutes.
    Recruiter was polite but had no interest in conversing. She got right to the point and jumped to the questions.