Facebook Data Scientist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 16, 2018

3.2

154 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Quite chaotic. I was contacted by Facebook recruiter. She explained the role as a data scientist in AB testing group. She gave me highlights od the interview process and scheduled a 1 hr phone technical interview. Then she said she will explain the next steps. I took it even though I was clear on what position I am interested in which data science in AB testing. She scheduled me the technical phone interview within 1 week. She gave me the name of person. I googled the name to understand the background. When the interview time, I logged in via their collaborative video conferencing. The person interviewed me was not the same person. He also said that I am applying for a generix analyst position (something too junior usually for college grads. I have 10 yrs in Silicon valley experience in startups). I told him that this seems to be miscommunication on the role and expectations. He was skiptical and said that he will start the interview and started giving me questions to build sql joins. It ia not something I do on daily basis. So I moves it along. He was extremely unprofessional and biased. 1 hr after, we ended the call. 3 weeks after., the recruiter emailed me that they decided to go with another candidate. I even forgot it and no way I was gonna join such place.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

One call with the recruiter and one phone interview with a Data Scientist and moved on to on-site interview with 5 rounds of interviews. In the phone interview, it's mostly brainstorming metrics and an SQL query question. The 5 rounds of on-site interviews includes 2 SQL, 2 A/B testing and 1 Math interviews.

Interview Questions

• If there's a new feature that attracts more pop stars to use it, how do you evaluate whether this feature is successful or not?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA) in December 2017.

Interview

I had two phone interviews with the recruiter. She was very nice, informative and helped me set up for success. I had to pull out after that due to other offer.

Interview Questions

• Common statistical and python related questions.
      1) How do you proof that males are on average taller than females by knowing just gender or height.
      2) What is a monkey patch
      3) How do you get the count of each letter in a sentence   5 Answers

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in January 2018.

Interview

In email, they include the description of next interview in advance. No surprise. I got 1 hr phone interview and 2 technical phone interviews. There are 3 parts in Phone interview: SQL, Data analytics with python, Machine learning and deep learning

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in February 2018.

Interview

Was first approached by an internal recruiter at Facebook via a LinkedIn message. Within a week I did an initial 15 minute screening interview in which the recruiter asked me if I had experience/competence in SQL, Python, or R.

Afterwards I was sent around 2-3 emails containing study material, along with advice on how to prepare for a 1-on-1 video interview I was to have. After I reviewed the material I was to schedule a time to interview with a Data Scientist Manager.

The interview was a mix of analytical problem solving and technical. It was enjoyable getting to interact with someone very talented in their skills and showcased Facebook's level of talent well. During the interview there was a degree of guidance as I navigated the technical components and analytical portion of the interview, which was expected per the interview prep material.

Personal Analysis of Interview:
    It was great getting to be challenged both technically and analytically from the top talent around, and felt that I showcased my problem solving capabilities well but undersold my technical skills. Not sure I would have done any studying differently, I am just not at the technical level that is required at a company like Facebook.

However, it has been nearly a month since my interview and haven't received any communication from the HR department despite multiple (3) follow up emails on my behalf. Very disappointing, as I had a wonderful experience leading up to that. This experience has definitely soured the experience and desire to work at Facebook. Hopefully this is an isolated case.

Interview Questions

• Suppose the Recommended Friends team has updated the algorithm to analyze if the new algorithm is better than the old algorithm.   1 Answer
    • Given the following tables how would you know who has the most friends

REQUESTS
      date | sender_id | accepter_id

ACCEPTED
      accepted_at | accepter_id | sender_id   7 Answers

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Initial interview was relatively simple. Just questions about what aspects of available data you would use to answer certain business questions or anomalies. One relatively complex SQL question. Should've brushed up more on my SQL! What you come to find out is that the "Data Scientist" role with Facebook is really just more of a Data Analyst type role.

Interview Questions

• Say you notice a surge in average activity among users but the number of users is down, how would you explain this?   2 Answers

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Facebook in February 2015.

Interview

Initial phone screen with recruiter to discuss role, basic requirements, interest, interview process. First interview was with engineer who was administering a work sample using a web room that allowed for code writing by multiple individuals. The interviewer gave multiple prompts for which you were required to generate syntax. For example: open file, merge file, identify cases, merge files, recode, descriptives, basic computations.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Took a long time to get through the whole thing, first there's a pre-screening chat with a recruiter, then after about a month I was able to get a screening interview scheduled (followed by a second screening interview a few weeks later) and after all those, I finally was given a full on-site. Overall, it took several months. The recruiters were generous with prep materials, though, and seemed genuinely interested in helping me get through the process.

Interview Questions

• Signed an NDA, so I can't give specifics, but they had me whiteboard SQL/python/R code that would accomplish some task based on given a database as well as asked business sense types of questions related to that data. There were some fundamental prob/stat questions as well as some frequentist inference.

All in all, they seemed to be interested just as much in my ability to communicate as they were in my technical skills. It was important to be able to talk about the product and how people engaged with it and relating those things back to the data that was given.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

I connected with a recruiter at an on-campus job fair and got on over-the-phone interview. The interview consisted of coding (SQL or Python) as well as a few technical mathematical questions (mainly probability, using various situations with a deck of cards) and some questions about how mathematics could be applied to the real world (how could graph theory be used to verify users' information?).

Interview Questions

• How can Facebook figure out when users falsify their attended schools?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Facebook (Pittsburgh, PA) in September 2016.

Interview

The process was exactly as mentioned in the other posts and doing the problems from other users helped a lot.
    First round over call, lasting 45 mins;
    SQL queries(data problems): some data related to comments and posts
    Business problem: Implementing creation of new reaction like happy, sad etc

Interview Questions

• SQL queries with basic group by, self joins and inner queries. The problem could be solved by analytical queries   Answer Question