Facebook Data Scientist Interview Questions

Updated May 10, 2021

To filter interviews, or .
Found 349 of over 7.5K interviews

Applied online22%
3.1
HardAverageEasy

Facebook

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook

Interview

I was contact by a recruiter out of the blue telling me how they are really impressed by my CV. From first moment the interaction felt very impersonal and hurried up. Yes I know you are reaching out to a lot of candidates but let's not forget you are still talking to a human. I then got scheduled for an interview which was cancelled last moment apparently because the interviewer was sick. We then moved on to reschedule. Two weeks later I show up for the (remote) interview. The interviewer was late 5 minutes and when he showed he did not really seem to bother. We then swiftly began the process. I struggled a lot understanding the interviewer accent who seemed even lazy to clearly articulate properly his words. He was talking but you were getting a sense that he did not really care if he was understood. I completely zoned out, but I answered well the coding questions which I share below. We then moved on to the product related questions which were pretty basic and what you typically find on the web. I answered, but the whole process was feeling like a disconnect and I had a feeling we were both there just because we had too. To sum up - worse interview process ever.

Interview Questions
  • Given the following data: Table: searches Columns: date STRING date of the search, search_id INT the unique identifier of each search, user_id INT the unique identifier of the searcher, age_group STRING ('<30', '30-50', '50+'), search_query STRING the text of the search query Sample Rows: date | search_id | user_id | age_group | search_query -------------------------------------------------------------------- '2020-01-01' | 101 | 9991 | '<30' | 'justin bieber' '2020-01-01' | 102 | 9991 | '<30' | 'menlo park' '2020-01-01' | 103 | 5555 | '30-50' | 'john' '2020-01-01' | 104 | 1234 | '50+' | 'funny cats' Table: search_results Columns: date STRING date of the search action, search_id INT the unique identifier of each search, result_id INT the unique identifier of the result, result_type STRING (page, event, group, person, post, etc.), clicked BOOLEAN did the user click on the result? Sample Rows: date | search_id | result_id | result_type | clicked -------------------------------------------------------------------- '2020-01-01' | 101 | 1001 | 'page' | TRUE '2020-01-01' | 101 | 1002 | 'event' | FALSE '2020-01-01' | 101 | 1003 | 'event' | FALSE '2020-01-01' | 101 | 1004 | 'group' | FALSE Over the last 7 days, how many users made more than 10 searches? You notice that the number of users that clicked on a search result about a Facebook Event increased 10% week-over-week. How would you investigate? How do you decide if this is a good thing or a bad thing? The Events team wants to up-rank Events such that they show up higher in Search. How would you determine if this is a good idea or not?
    Answer Question
14 people found this interview helpful

Facebook

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook

Interview

Been reached out by recruiters a few times and every time I speak to them, I'm so disappointed by their professionalism which discourages me from going to the next round. I can clearly tell they are just reading the prompt and they don't show any interest in talking to a candidate. How are you supposed to recruit talented people if FB puts the bad apples to the front line as a representative of the company? FB seriously needs to work on raising the bar for recruiters.

Interview Questions
  • How do you measure success of news feeds? What kind of feature do you wish to add on Instagram?
2 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I interviewed at Facebook (New York, NY)

Interview

A recruiter from the global business solutions, small business group called for a phone screen. He said that he'll pass my resume to the hiring team and notify me within 24 to 48 hours. However, I did not hear back and had to sent 3 emails and eventually got a respond within 2 weeks, saying that they have decided to move forward with other candidates who are further along the interview process. I was not given a chance to interview, else I could have been further along the process sooner, I guess the team doesn't think that I'm a good fit. Its disrespectful that they try to sugarcoat things and don't respect candidates time.

Interview Questions
2 people found this interview helpful

Facebook

Application

I interviewed at Facebook

Interview

They interviewed me for the job. General questions to test your knowledge of SQL, python, probability. Also included the ability to communicate your findings in a clear and concise manner.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Facebook

Application

The process took 2 months. I interviewed at Facebook

Interview

First round was a single interview. Second (and final) round had several interviews, ranging from 30-45 mins. The interviews were on product generalist (i.e. solving a business case study), coding exercise (in SQL), quantitative analysis, applied data (stats questions).

Interview Questions
  • How would you determine if a new system which identified and banned accounts which were posting ads for prohibited content was working?
3 people found this interview helpful

Facebook

Application

I interviewed at Facebook

Interview

The recruiter was professional, but the team went back to the process even after clearing the initial technical phone interview. The recruiter was professional, but the team went back to the process even after clearing the initial technical phone interview.

Interview Questions
  • Statistical questions, SQL questions, and data science questions

Facebook

Application

I applied through an employee referral I interviewed at Facebook

Interview

15-min Phone Recruiter Screen after applying 2 weeks beforehand via refferal. Booked a time and the recruiter called me. Didn't even ask me a single question about myself, just told me about the role and jumped into the question.

Interview Questions
  • How can we tell if two users on Instagram are best friends?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA) in Apr 2021

Interview

recruiter reached out and had a technical screening interview. Still in the process of interviewing and have not get the final result yet. The next step will be a follow up round of technical interview. And potentially on site interviews.

Interview Questions
  • how to design the friends you may know feature -- how to recommend friends; how to test out the assumptions; how to decide next steps if the metrics shows only positive signals in certain features

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook (New York, NY) in Mar 2020

Interview

A recruiter contacted me over email and set up a phone interview for the following week for a 15-minute call. I guess next round would have been with a hiring manager

Interview Questions
  • PLEASE DON'T TAKE THE PHONE SCREENING LIGHTLY! I did and got rejected. I was expecting SQL questions and in general talk about my resume but she asked me a question on product sense and I was completely unprepared for it. Creation of Facebook user groups has gone down by 20%, what will you do? sounds simple but I messed it up so badly. I was just blabbering anything in an unstructured way, I sounded so stupid and not even fit for a small company forget Facebook. The recruiter was nice and she did not say anything but I were to hear my own answer, I would reject myself on spot. I regret it so much wish I could have prepared for it. I hope someone sees this and it helps them. The SQL questions were easy and I did answer them correctly- what kind of joins to get only common rows, what the natural sorting order etc.
138 people found this interview helpful

Facebook

Application

I interviewed at Facebook

Interview

Recruiter call, tech screen, 4 onsite interviews. Pretty standard IMO. The SQL questions were fairly straightforward without gotchas, just a couple of steps in the logic. The business case questions were also standard, not requiring specialized knowledge of the platform or the company, though I think having some familiarity with social media analytics would have been helpful.

Interview Questions
  • SQL - joins, group by, date manipulation Business case - a mix of open ended questions framed like "how would you see if xyz is a good idea" and more specific questions about metric movements and experimentation
7 people found this interview helpful