Facebook Data Scientist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Facebook Data Scientist Interview Questions

Interviews at Facebook

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook (New York, NY) in March 2020.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me over email and set up a phone interview for the following week for a 15-minute call. I guess next round would have been with a hiring manager

Interview Questions

• PLEASE DON'T TAKE THE PHONE SCREENING LIGHTLY! I did and got rejected. I was expecting SQL questions and in general talk about my resume but she asked me a question on product sense and I was completely unprepared for it. Creation of Facebook user groups has gone down by 20%, what will you do? sounds simple but I messed it up so badly. I was just blabbering anything in an unstructured way, I sounded so stupid and not even fit for a small company forget Facebook. The recruiter was nice and she did not say anything but I were to hear my own answer, I would reject myself on spot. I regret it so much wish I could have prepared for it. I hope someone sees this and it helps them.

The SQL questions were easy and I did answer them correctly- what kind of joins to get only common rows, what the natural sorting order etc.   3 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Data Scientist Interview

Interview

1: tell me about yourself and why DS?
    2: tell me about your Data Science experience/project, more analytics side?
    3: If 10% decreasing in the post(FB, Instagram), as DS, what would you do?
    1) how would you improve notifications?
    2) how would you get Facebook users to download Instagram?

Interview Questions

• 1) how would you improve notifications?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in April 2020.

Interview

The process was extremely well-managed, and the recruiters were very prompt and helpful. They do a great job of preparing you for each step of the process.

The first round is a telephone screening which was around 10-15 mins long. I was asked a very open-ended question about how I would broadly analyze the drop of key performance metrics and 5 simple questions on SQL.

The next round, which was the technical screening, took place around 3 weeks later. A similar broad and open-ended product question was posed, and I could not help but feel that the only thing that was being evaluated was my ability to think in a structured manner. This was followed by a couple of relatively simple queries where I was asked to write a code to get a frequency distribution and a simple case-when application.

The onsite round took place online. The first 2 rounds were very similar to the first round in the technical screening in terms of the open-ended nature of the questions, and the evaluation criteria still seemed to be more of how you walked the interviewer through your thoughts without getting overwhelmed or sidetracked. The technical round was SQL again (though there was no restriction on the language I wanted to use), and the problems where definitely slightly more challenging. You need to be quick on your feet with SQL, I was asked what sounded like a very simple question which actually involved a cross join and some creativity on the spot. The last round was a quant round that revolved around Bayes' theorem, Power of tests, Type 1 error/type-2 error, and imbalanced classification. Intuitive explanations of the math were just as important as being able to solve the problems.

All the interviewers were extremely pleasant and conversations. Nobody seemed like they were 'out to get you', but were there trying to actually assess whether you could think coherently and whether they would be willing to work with you. It would have been a great experience even if I had not received an offer, but they were kind enough to extend one to me within 3 days of the onsite round.

Interview Questions

• 1) Provided a table with user_id and dates they visited platform, find the top 100 users with the longest continuous streak of visiting the platform as of yesterday.

2) Provided a table with page_id, event timestamp and a flag for a state (which is on/off), find the number of pages that are currently on.   5 Answers

Data Scientist Interview

Interview

I had a video interview with a Data Scientist. The interview lasted about 45 minutes and consisted of one technical coding (SQL) question and a product question. The team member gave me time to ask questions at the end.

Interview Questions

• Given a database of posts and a database of comments on those posts, how do you determine how many conversations are happening in the comments per post on average.   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Incredibly smooth process - recruiters are super responsive and accommodating. I got updates regularly as well as plenty of support around the types of questions I would be asked in the interview.

Interview Questions

• Statistical theory, case question   4 Answers

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Contact Hr for this role, pass the first HR screen, and was asked SQL and product for the next round. Each part took around 20-25 mins. use SQL to join one table with customer info and fraud

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me through email, and we setup a phone interview for the following week.

During the the phone interview, I could barely hear the recruiter talking. I barely heard his explanation of the role and the team. I had to ask him several times to repeat his questions. The interview went very fast (under 13 min). Overall it was a frustrating experience.

Interview Questions

• What are Facebook products you are familiar with?
      You noticed there is 20% decreases in FB product users, what would you do to correct that?
      SQL Questions
      Make sure you learn about A/B testing.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA) in April 2020.

Interview

FB Recruiter reached out to me via Linkedin and we set up a meeting. It was a phone screen by Recruiter for 30 minutes, she was nice and helped me a lot to understand the details of the projects and scope of the work

Interview Questions

• She asked basic statistics,probabilty questions such as bayes' theorem and hypothesis testing   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Interview

HR interview first. She asked some high level sql questions and one product questions. It last 15 min. Then, video interview for product and sql. It last 45 min. Then, on site. product sql statistics,behavior questions. All of them are very nice. HR responses email in one day.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Referred by my friend who's a current employee and got a reply from hr in a week to do a phone screen. The phone screening was about my experience in data science and some high-level SQL questions. Got updated to move on to the next round the next day. The second round is about a product case and a following SQL query test.

Interview Questions

• A product question on how to recognize the problem of the business manager system, a 2C system that business users can manage their ads payments. The main issue is that business users find troubles using the navigation bar to find the tools they need. Ask you to find ways to locate the problem. Then it's followed by some SQL questions related to the problem.   Answer Question