Facebook Data Scientist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 7, 2018

3.1

172 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Facebook in February 2015.

Interview

Initial phone screen with recruiter to discuss role, basic requirements, interest, interview process. First interview was with engineer who was administering a work sample using a web room that allowed for code writing by multiple individuals. The interviewer gave multiple prompts for which you were required to generate syntax. For example: open file, merge file, identify cases, merge files, recode, descriptives, basic computations.

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

I connected with a recruiter at an on-campus job fair and got on over-the-phone interview. The interview consisted of coding (SQL or Python) as well as a few technical mathematical questions (mainly probability, using various situations with a deck of cards) and some questions about how mathematics could be applied to the real world (how could graph theory be used to verify users' information?).

Interview Questions

• How can Facebook figure out when users falsify their attended schools?   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Took a long time to get through the whole thing, first there's a pre-screening chat with a recruiter, then after about a month I was able to get a screening interview scheduled (followed by a second screening interview a few weeks later) and after all those, I finally was given a full on-site. Overall, it took several months. The recruiters were generous with prep materials, though, and seemed genuinely interested in helping me get through the process.

Interview Questions

• Signed an NDA, so I can't give specifics, but they had me whiteboard SQL/python/R code that would accomplish some task based on given a database as well as asked business sense types of questions related to that data. There were some fundamental prob/stat questions as well as some frequentist inference.

All in all, they seemed to be interested just as much in my ability to communicate as they were in my technical skills. It was important to be able to talk about the product and how people engaged with it and relating those things back to the data that was given.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Facebook (Pittsburgh, PA) in September 2016.

Interview

The process was exactly as mentioned in the other posts and doing the problems from other users helped a lot.
    First round over call, lasting 45 mins;
    SQL queries(data problems): some data related to comments and posts
    Business problem: Implementing creation of new reaction like happy, sad etc

Interview Questions

• SQL queries with basic group by, self joins and inner queries. The problem could be solved by analytical queries   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

The entire interview process is very accurately described here on glassdoor by many people. If you can do what they say in the other reviews, there is nothing unexpected or new really. Only new thing I can maybe add is that I felt coding quickly was something they cared a lot about.

Interview Questions

• SQL/R/Python stuff and define the right metric for certain FB products   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Facebook (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

was refused directly within one week after application. sign......why don't even give applicant an interview opportunity? someone referred me to that intern, but the resume still is not being successful....

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

HR contacted me and set up a phone interview. The process is smooth. HR is friendly and willing to answer questions. It took 1 week to schedule a interview and 1 week for a response.

Interview Questions

• SQL. And why the number of likes are increasing?   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

Five interviews, lasting thirty minutes each, with other Data Scientists. Three were some kind of "technical" and two were business cases. I was flown in the night before, given an email with information to help me prepare (including links to similar questions), and treated to lunch at the campus.

Interview Questions

• There's a game where you are given two fair six-sided dice and asked to roll. If the sum of the values on the dice equals seven, then you win $21. However, you must pay $5 to play each time you roll both dice. Do you play this game?

And in follow-up:

What is the probability of making money from this game?   6 Answers
    • We at Facebook would like to develop a way to estimate the month and day of people's birthdays, regardless of whether people give us that information directly. What methods would you propose, and data would you use, to help with that task?   5 Answers

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

An hour long interview process with basic data analysis questions and some business concept/analysis questions. The objects could be general or just numbers. If they are numbers, there are very fast algorithms

Interview Questions

• Given an list A of objects and another list B which is identical to A except that one element is removed, find that removed element.   12 Answers

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Inside referral and online application. Few emails with the recruiter to answer questions related to why I want to join FB and other logistical stuff. A phone screen, then onsite interviews

Interview Questions

• the phone interview had 2 parts, one was SQL based (I had the option to choose another language), and the other part was about using data to analyze missing/wrong information   2 Answers