Facebook Data Scientist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 17, 2017

3.3

97 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Applied online, recruiter contacted, video with codepad interview. Brief intro, scenario set up, answer question on codepad, communicate about thought process, interviewer gave feedback, continue to another coding question, and an analytics question.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

Had a phone screen with a recruiter that led to a video interview. Video interview covered building models to solve specific FB problems (are people connected/not), some ML, feature engineering, identifying pitfalls in a model and data leakage, also covered some SQL (though I was given the option to use Python as well). Onsite interview was a series of five interviews broken up by lunch with a DS, and a brief meet and greet in the morning. The topics where mostly focused on product analysis and A/B testing (if we have a product and see some trend in different users make a hypothesis about why we see that trend and test it). One interview was probability and data focused with a couple college level probability questions. One interview was focused on data manipulation in the language of my choice. And the last interview was SWE with a CS type algorithm development problem.

Overall, I would say that a great deal of the interviews did not focus on what I (as a working Data Scientist) do on a daily basis, which is primarily building ML models. There was a definite bias towards A/B testing and almost all of the interviewers brought in situational product based questions.

During lunch the DS I was with was very open and forthcoming about what working at Facebook is like and the types of problems they tackle on the job. He was also very frank about the lack of ML work done by DS's at Facebook and basically said they have one of the best ML engineers in the world working there and he built a suite of tools that are better than anything you will build, ever. As far as his interaction with ML went, he just collected the data he needed and passed it into one of these tools.

In the end I did not receive an offer, though I was provided some vague feedback. My technical skills where very strong, but product awareness and analysis ended up hurting me. Full disclosure I do not have/use Facebook or Instagram and though I disclosed this before beginning the process I felt that it had an impact on my interviews.

Interview Questions

• We have a product that is getting used differently by two different groups. What is your hypothesis about why and how would you go about testing it?   Answer Question
    • Given a specific product, come up with some potential improvements and design a series of experiments for testing/implementing these changes.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook in April 2017.

Interview

The recruiter was super friendly, well-organized and always communicate in a timely manner.
    First round was a 30min phone call with the recruiter.
    Second round was a one hour tech video interview.
    Third round was an onsite.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Very lengthy process (~3 months) but the recruiter was always available and engaged. I had a very positive experience. First was a phone screen (very easy and fast) - mostly background on the role, the company and then providing info about myself) with the recruiter, then a video chat interview with a current data scientist (introductions and background on his experience with the company, a few product questions, a SQL - my language of choice - question, a few more product questions). The recruiter called me the next morning to inform me I would be coming on campus and to give some feedback from the video interview. The recruiter sent tons of information to help prepare for the on campus interview (meet n greet with recruiter, 5 interviews with data scientists and a lunch with a data scientist). The recruiters were really nice and knowledgeable. I had a few that were shadowed by more experienced interviewers that seemed nervous/inexperienced with interviewing but the whole process was pretty great. The on campus interview questions were straight forward and slightly difficult.

Interview Questions

• Product/SQL/statistics questions   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

Note: the role was for the Analytics role

Surprisingly very simple questions onsite. SQL, probability, etc. Questions seemed too easy for a real data science role. And the interviewer was kind of a jerk.

Data Scientist Interview

Interview

Recruiter contacted me and introduce the position, asked my background and my current status. Phone interview: one case analysis and sql. Recruiter is very friendly and helpful. Always reply emails very fast

Interview Questions

• The company developed a new feature and perform A/B test. Here is the result

Comments +5%
      Likes -10%
      Timespent +1%
      All else neutral

How would you decide to whether putting into product based on the A/B test result? Any ideas?   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tel Aviv-Yafo (Israel)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook (Tel Aviv-Yafo (Israel)) in May 2017.

Interview

Applied online. It took a week to set up the first phone call, since instead of offering a time frame for the call or just call, there was an email chain asking for when it is convenient to call. Any of my emails was answered after 1-3 days.
    Next was an on site 45 minutes interview with a Data Scientist. Also here it took unnecessarily long to schedule (around 3 weeks). The questions were quite easy and fully solvable with a little SQL.
    Another 2 weeks later was the 5-hour interview day with three interviewers per video and two on site. Questions themselves were not very complicated but the interviewers dug a lot without obvious reason.
    Every interviewer spent at least 5-10 minutes talking about himself without any questions about the applicant's work experience or skills. In the end of most of the interviews there were few minutes to ask questions, which was fairly annoying as there were two extra people to answer all the possible questions when accompanying the applicant on lunch break and another 15 minutes break before the last part.
    Eventually two days later I got a full automated email encouraging to continue my search.

Minor issue: While talking to HR on the day before the interview, I mentioned Kosher food. She assured me that it will be available at lunch. However, at lunch I found a small Kosher section with almost nothing left as lunch was almost over by the time of my lunch break. I'd expected better.

Interview Questions

• SQL with joins, Basic Probability, general approach to KPI   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Facebook (Salt Lake City, UT) in February 2017.

Interview

I was really impressed with the interview process and had a great time meeting with their recruiters and members of their team. The first interview was on the phone with their recruiter. The second interview was over the phone.

Interview Questions

• They asked some simple SQL questions involving aggregate functions and joins.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

I was told that the technical phone interview would be about 45 minutes, and would cover basic math/probabilities, product analytics, and coding. We never did any math questions though.

The interview itself was a pretty pleasant experience, and my interactions with Facebook recruiters/interviewers have been friendly and informative. I always had the impression that they wanted me to do well.

Interview Questions

• There was an open-ended analytics question: What is a Facebook product that you'd be interested in working on, and how would you use analytics?

And another more specific question: We've introduced this particular new feature (it was something about friend recommendations). How should we determine whether to keep it or not?

The coding question could be done in Python, SQL, or R. It was a straightforward problem that involved calculating the friend acceptance rate over time. The table consisted of events (friend request or acceptance), date, and user id's.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

A recruited reached out to me and I had a call with her. This was followed by a technical screening with a data science manager. The last step was a full round of interviews onsite.

Interview Questions

• They asked SQL questions, probability and product analysis   Answer Question