Facebook Engineering Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 28, 2017

3.4

6 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Interview went pretty smooth. I had a phone screen and on-site. 6 rounds of interview and I was shown around the office. Overall a good experience. After a week I got the offer and accepted it. They give me an offer I couldn't refuse.

Interview Questions

• Management related questions, what projects I worked on, Coding, Design   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

1. Recruiter phone screen. Asked about background, people management, hands-on or not.
    2. On site preliminary 45 minute interview, very informative. Person described the interview process, how to prepare.
    3. On site full interview with 7 people. Was asked algorithmic questions, design questions, management style related questions.

Interview Questions

• Technical, algorithmic question.
      Was asked algorithmic questions, design questions, management style related questions.   Answer Question
    • Behaviorial questions related to management situations.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

Overall the made the process very smooth and clear. It is unfortunate that i did not get it. It started off as the recruiter trying to understand my background and then setting me up 1:1's with different teams to find out where i could fit. Once they identified the team they brought me in for a full interview. I had 6 rounds of interview. It had architecture and design, coding , large system scaling, data structures and people mgmt. Having been in scrapy startups i did everything well except people mgmt.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

I exchanged a few emails and phone calls with a recruiter and got invited to the campus a couple weeks later.
    I was told that even managers are asked technical questions (makes sense and I agreed).
    Did two 1 hour slots (one in person and the other online, separated by a week). A week later I was told that I was not a fit.

Interview Questions

• Questions were toy CS problems that fresh grads would solve (dismissing 90% of my career). Think data structure (variations of sorting arrays/modifying binary trees).   1 Answer

Engineering Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Interview process was okay. I applied directly on Facebook's site. Within a few weeks I was contacted via email to speak with a recruiter After speaking with them, I was contacted by the hiring manager for a "exploratory call" - this seemed geared towards making sure I was a personal fit. After a week or so, I was contacted about participating in a technical interview. For this, I didn't know what to expect, but I was clearly unprepared. There were questions that were over my head and about topics I had little to no experience in. This was not the fault of FB, they are just on a much different level than I am.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions I was asked was around deeper troubleshooting Linux servers than I have experience with.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in February 2008.

Interview

The hiring process was pretty smooth. You operate through a recruiter as your aid on the other side. Mine was friendly and quick to respond to a lot of my questions and kept me up to date with the whole process.

The initial process was a brief phone meeting with the recruiter. She asked me a few easy questions which I assume were to check if I was competent and then set up a call with an engineer at Facebook. On the phone we talked for a while and he explained the company culture, asked me some softball questions about my resume and then asked technical questions and had me write code in a shared editor from my computer. Your basic CS-200 algorithms questions.

A few days later I was invited to the Facebook HQ and met with a half dozen people including my recruiter. She took me to lunch at the cafe and then I went through a number of interviews. Most of which were asking me coding questions to write out on the whiteboard. More CS-200 algorithm style questions. One part of the interview that was fun was more of a architecture question where I designed a system for serving news feed.

A couple days later I had an offer over the phone from my recruiter and a full packet came in the mail a few days after that.

Interview Questions

• There was one coding question I had to answer that was particularly difficult was I was given a big chunk of Objective C code and asked to find the bugs in it. It was a bit like Where's Waldo where there's more than one Waldo but they don't tell you how many Waldo's there really are. I found a bunch of bugs but was nervous I didn't find them all.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate a little bit, but not much. At the time they were much more willing to negotiate on stock options and less willing to negotiate on salary. I'm not sure how that's changed over time.