Facebook Front End Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Apr 10, 2020

To filter interviews, or .

Interviews at Facebook

3.1
HardAverageEasy
Found 42 candidate interviews
Anonymous Employee in Canada
Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months. I interviewed at Facebook (Canada) in Mar 2020

Interview

I was reached out by a recruiter on LinkedIn for a Software Engineer role, then later referred to a different recruiter who's in charge of recruiting Front End Engineers after they learned more about my experience and interest. The process consisted of 2 phone screens, to complete 2 questions in a 45 min session for each, once I came up with a working solution, interviewers asked me to implement any optimizations and analyze the runtime of my code. The onsite consisted of 4 sessions, 2 coding rounds, 1 behavioral round with an engineering manager, and then 1 round on front end system design and architecture, I enjoyed the design round the most as it was very free-form and carried out much like you'd discuss with your coworkers during day-to-day work. The coding rounds were very javascript heavy, the first round was mainly testing your understanding of timeouts, prototypes, the DOM, and your knowledge about different javascript collections. The second coding round was an algorithm and data structure problem with a front end slant, you need to have a good understanding of the DOM. The behavioral round was rather standard and casual, the manager will try to assess your past experience and motivation, and you also get to ask a lot of questions in this round. The hiring committee was fairly quick to decide that I can be moved on to the offer stage, but the actual offer itself took a few weeks to send out. The recruiter has been very friendly and helpful, and overall the recruiting process has been a positive experience.

Interview Questions
  • Refer to questions left by others here
    Answer Question
Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Facebook (New York, NY)

Interview

Technical recruiter reached out and asked a bunch JS related questions (some outdated tech and also incorrect runtimes for search algorithms). Interviewer was alright. No response for ages and then a canned message. Nothing new here folks. Hope you'll have a better experience.

Interview Questions
  • JS related questions, specifically around prototypal inheritance and then just kept expanding on the same problem
Anonymous Employee in London, England
Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 2 months. I interviewed at Facebook (London, England) in Nov 2019

Interview

The interview process was similar to the all that were mentioned here. The basic JS questions and algo + data structures. Just study javascript and try to find solve various questions following by optimization.

Interview Questions
Facebook
Anonymous Employee in London, England
Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (London, England) in Nov 2019

Interview

I got an introductory email from the recruiter in Facebook London office. I submitted my resume and answered a couple of questions via email and had a short phone interview with a HR officer. A couple of weeks later, I had a technical coding interview with a software engineer.

Interview Questions
  • It was a tree traversal question. Given a tree with specific nodes to visit, traverse another tree with the same structure and visit the nodes in same positions.
Anonymous Employee in Kazakhstan
Application

I applied online. The process took 2 months. I interviewed at Facebook (Kazakhstan) in Oct 2019

Interview

Applied online, after two weeks recruiter sent me a questionnaire, then there was a thirty minute phone calc consisting of a questions about previous projects and experience overall and some questions about JavaScript. The questions are the same as described here (difference between call and apply, map and forEach, etc.). Then the day after recruiter sent me an invite to the first interview.

Anonymous Employee in United States
Application

I interviewed at Facebook (United States)

Interview

I talked to the recruiter on the phone screening. The recruiter asked me about my last internship experience, why facebook(what do you know about front end team), and some basic questions about javascript.

Interview Questions
  • what is 'this', what is closure, var vs const vs let, DOM tree
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA
Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in Jul 2019

Interview

My interview process at Facebook was very chaotic. After being contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn, I was passed through 4 different recruiters during my interview process. While each individual person seemed nice, my experience seemed to reflect my impression of the company as a whole: disorganized and unguided. After intensely preparing for white-boarding interviews, I was ultimately left with ambiguous feedback about their decision not to move forward after the on-site, which seemed largely based on the subjective feedback of a single interviewer. Facebook definitely does not seem like the holy-grail of tech companies to work for that its reputation sometimes suggests.

Interview Questions
  • Basic graph algo & DS style whiteboarding question
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA
Application

The process took 2 months. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA)

Interview

The process went as quick as I wanted it to go. I was initially contacted on LinkedIn and set up a recruiter call. Fairly standard call going over me and the role. At the end of the call I was asked a list of technical questions to see where I stood. From there I was scheduled a tech screen. It used a code sharing site and was a typical front end question, followed up by several variations of the question. After passing the tech screen, I was given a different recruiter. After an initial call, an on site was set up consisting of 2 coding interviews, a system design, a behavioral interview, and lunch. The coding interviews were more front end focused (as opposed to leetcode style), and weren't too difficult. The system design interview focused more on finding edge cases, performance issues, and figuring out requirements than I would have expected. The behavioral interview was pretty standard and they did a good job asking relevant questions about me over things you see in "10 STAR questions to answer" lists. Overall, the interviews were easier than I was expecting and I received a verbal offer. Afterwards, I was also scheduled for a few on site meetings with various people to ask whatever questions I had about FB. Overall, my experience at FB was pretty positive. I went in thinking that even if I did get an offer I wouldn't take it because of the location and product. After the on site and following meetings, I was impressed enough that I seriously had to consider taking the offer. The reason I rated my overall experience neutral, however, was due to my recruiter being overly aggressive before and during negotiations. Even if it isn't true, I want to believe that the recruiter is on my side. Instead, I felt like they were playing hardball against me. While I left the offices with a great impression, my recruiter left a sour taste in my mouth.

Interview Questions
  • NDA, but review interview questions left by others
Anonymous Interview Candidate in United States
Application

I interviewed at Facebook (United States) in May 2019

Interview

A friend of mine referred me. Hr called me by phone and asked me some basic conceptual questions about Javascript. The next day I received an email saying that I was rejected.

Interview Questions
  • what is 'this' keyword and what's its behavior
Anonymous Employee in United States
Application

I interviewed at Facebook (United States)

Interview

Very short HR telephone interview about 20 minutes. Not very much behavior questions just introduction myself, and talk about the projects on the resume. Interviews ask some basic Javascript questions such as closure, call, apply...

Interview Questions
  • Question about my resume
  • Basic JS questions about closure, map funciton, forEach function, apply function, call function, DOM tree, difference between array and object.
Viewing 1 - 10 of 42