Facebook Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 25, 2018
4,043 Interview Reviews

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

phone interview starting with introducing yourself followed by two code questions.
    The first coding question is very standard coding question and the second one is
    a little more related to facebook's certain functionality

Data Scientist Interview

Interview

One HR interview, one takehome data challenge, one shared screen with SQL and one onsite with several 1:1 interviews. They check your coding skills and product sense via the takehome, your sql skills via the shared screen interview and machine learning theory as well as product sense during the onsite.
    They let you choose the language for the takehome and onsite there is no coding on the board. So you just need to know one language (whichever you want, although I think they prefer R or Python) + SQL. No C++/Java/etc stuff and no CS algo questions.

Interview Questions

• Data challenge was very similar to the ads analysis challenge on the book the collection of data science takehome challenge, so that was easy (if you have done your homework).

SQL was: you have a table where you have date, user_id, song_id and count. It shows at the end of each day how many times in her history a user has listened to a given song. So count is cumulative sum.
      You have to update this on a daily basis based on a second table that records in real time when a user listens to a given song. Basically, at the end of each day, you go to this second table and pull a count of each user/song combination and then add this count to the first table that has the lifetime count.
      If it is the first time a user has listened to a given song, you won't have this pair in the lifetime table, so you have to create the pair there and then add the count of the last day.

Onsite: lots of ads related and machine learning questions. How to build an ad model, how to test it, describe a model. I didn't do well in some of these.   23 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online in late December and then spoke to a recruiter for about 15 minutes in early January. I was scheduled for an in-person interview in mid January where I interviewed with one data scientist in a 1:1 interview for an hour for the first round. Another recruiter then called me for a 30 minute prep for the 2nd round. The final, 2nd round interview was about 5 weeks later in late February, with 6 data scientists over 4 hours in the afternoon. I got an offer but it was for a lot less than I was expecting, and we couldn't bridge the gap enough for it to be worth it.

Everyone seemed relatively nice, although I could tell that a lot of the questions are really designed to trip you up, like they want you to miss some detail or edge case. My advice would be to pay attention to every little bit of minutiae regarding the question, make sure you're staying on task, write on the whiteboard, and explain your thoughts. Industry word is that data science at Facebook is not what it once was and is more of a product data analyst role now, so make sure you're really into Facebook products because that's what you'll be analyzing.

Also, I didn't get a single question about dice, cards, or any other brain teaser type questions. All these mentions of NDAs are missing the point of Glassdoor, people can be a little more verbose than "various questions". You can't trademark an interview question or claim it's a trade secret.

Interview Questions

• How would you measure the health of Mentions, Facebook's app for celebrities? How can FB determine if it's worth it to keep using it?

If a celebrity starts to use Mentions and begins interacting with their fans more, what part of the increase can be attributed to a celebrity using Mentions, and what part is just a celebrity wanting to get more involved in fan engagement?   6 Answers
    • There is a table that tracks every time a user turns a feature on or off, with columns user_id, action ("on" or "off), date, and time.

How many users turned the feature on today?
      How many users have ever turned the feature on?
      In a table that tracks the status of every user every day, how would you add today's data to it?   9 Answers
    • If 70% of Facebook users on iOS use Instagram, but only 35% of Facebook users on Android use Instagram, how would you investigate the discrepancy?   7 Answers
    • How do you measure newsfeed health?   3 Answers
    • If a PM says that they want to double the number of ads in Newsfeed, how would you figure out if this is a good idea or not?   4 Answers
    • We have two options for serving ads within Newsfeed:
      1 - out of every 25 stories, one will be an ad
      2 - every story has a 4% chance of being an ad

For each option, what is the expected number of ads shown in 100 news stories?
      If we go with option 2, what is the chance a user will be shown only a single ad in 100 stories? What about no ads at all?   14 Answers
    • How do you map nicknames (Pete, Andy, Nick, Rob, etc) to real names?   5 Answers
    • Facebook sees that likes are up 10% year over year, why could this be?   6 Answers
    • How many high schools that people have listed on their profiles are real? How do we find out, and deploy at scale, a way of finding invalid schools?   4 Answers

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

They want to know your personality. Your resume got you the interview, now wow them. You get interviewed by multiple people so be consistent. Make sure your answers match up with the company culture.

Interview Questions

• How would you describe FB advertising to your grandma?   1 Answer

Business Integrity Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook (Austin, TX).

Interview

The interview was overall not very difficult. Some of the interviewers were extremely unprofessional. The least you can do is greet your candidate, and give some background on what work that you do. One of the interviewer I spoke to was reading out questions from a piece of paper and not bothered to have a conversation during the interview. I wish you make sure that the candidate you are interviewing with is made comfortable and then start asking your questions. Overall a negative experience

Interview Questions

• Random questions like tell a time when you broke a process. There was no context provided. So difficult to determine what the interviewer wanted to know.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

- recruiter msg linked in
    - "we love profile"
    - me happy, set time to call

-recruiter call
    -talk about background my work
    -recruiter email me
    -"which teams you like "
     -me instagram and more
     -dancing.jpg

-interview day - 45 mins call
    - interview guy call on time
    - "okay lets code"
    - me "Ok"
    -give leetcode easy
    - me happy - code in 10 min
    - iinterview guy "ok good .. is work"
    - interview guy think let me screw candidate
    - give leetcode hard
    - me think - omg u seroius wow
    - me think logic.. think to code.. ok
    - ok code.. think.. code..
    - roadrunner.jpg
    -80% code finish confirm logic work
    - interview guy "ok time up any question"
    - me ask backgroud of guy
    - ok bye thanks goodweeknd etc

- recruiter email - reject

- me wow such broke system or such hire good???

Interview Questions

• solve leetcode easy? solve leetcode hard?   4 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Stupid interview proceess. Why? Read on..Recruiter reveals all the the questions that a scheduled interviewer may ask on phone screen. Highly unprofessional. Then the recruiter is so unprofessional that now that you get rejected he never responds back. Oh sorry I meant to say he scheduled the call but never calls and then reschedules the call and never called. When asked, he said I called and left a voicemail but you never responded. I never got a voicemail, never received a call at all. I was actually waiting for it. Pathetic and unprofessional. I want my time back.

Interview Questions

• 3sum, add large floating point numbers, closed/longest palindrome string, balance bracket   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

Mostly typical interview process, including phone call, on-site interviews (technical and non-technical) and a final two 30-minute phone interviews (also technical and non-technical).

90% of the interview experience was great. The team was all very friendly, competent and asked interesting questions. I got the sense everyone was well-prepared, organized and did a fair and holistic assessment of me as a candidate.

I rate the interview process as overall negative due to a very poor offer negotiation experience. I was handed off to someone I had not spoken to before to discuss the offer. In summary, there was quite a bit of back-and-forth and unclear communication. Even after clarifying some miscommunication with him, he still did not seem to take the time to really hear what I was saying, because he continued to negotiate on my behalf with incorrect information. I got the impression he was just trying to get the offer done and move on.

To my surprise and disappointment, even though the offer was improved, I was still being asked to take a huge >20% cut from my current pay. In the end, as much as I wanted to take this opportunity, taking such a huge hit was unexpected and unfortunately not possible. Instead of being met with empathy, the person I had been discussing the offer with acted very rudely and told me on our final call that I was expecting them to make me a millionaire and that I'd have to come back and apply as VP to get the sort of comp I was asking for. This was totally out-of-line, extremely unprofessional and downright insulting. He made it sound like I was asking for the moon when I was just trying to at least reasonably match my current comp...and apparently I'm the unreasonable one?

While I know a lot was done to try and give me a strong offer, overall, this final experience did not leave me feeling good at all about interviewing at Facebook. It ended on a very sour note after having been so excited to join this Facebook team. A candidate should never have to put up with rude and unprofessional behavior.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

phone call, 45 min, 2 questions, 1 general question

Data Scientist Interview

Interview

The interview process was smooth but impersonal. The vibe at Facebook is unfriendly -- this is surprising for a company priding itself on connecting people and friends.

The onsite has a few business case components coupled with a SQL and probability test.