Facebook Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 17, 2018
4,183 Interview Reviews

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

phone interview starting with introducing yourself followed by two code questions.
    The first coding question is very standard coding question and the second one is
    a little more related to facebook's certain functionality

Data Scientist Interview

Interview

One HR interview, one takehome data challenge, one shared screen with SQL and one onsite with several 1:1 interviews. They check your coding skills and product sense via the takehome, your sql skills via the shared screen interview and machine learning theory as well as product sense during the onsite.
    They let you choose the language for the takehome and onsite there is no coding on the board. So you just need to know one language (whichever you want, although I think they prefer R or Python) + SQL. No C++/Java/etc stuff and no CS algo questions.

Interview Questions

• Data challenge was very similar to the ads analysis challenge on the book the collection of data science takehome challenge, so that was easy (if you have done your homework).

SQL was: you have a table where you have date, user_id, song_id and count. It shows at the end of each day how many times in her history a user has listened to a given song. So count is cumulative sum.
      You have to update this on a daily basis based on a second table that records in real time when a user listens to a given song. Basically, at the end of each day, you go to this second table and pull a count of each user/song combination and then add this count to the first table that has the lifetime count.
      If it is the first time a user has listened to a given song, you won't have this pair in the lifetime table, so you have to create the pair there and then add the count of the last day.

Onsite: lots of ads related and machine learning questions. How to build an ad model, how to test it, describe a model. I didn't do well in some of these.   23 Answers

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online in late December and then spoke to a recruiter for about 15 minutes in early January. I was scheduled for an in-person interview in mid January where I interviewed with one data scientist in a 1:1 interview for an hour for the first round. Another recruiter then called me for a 30 minute prep for the 2nd round. The final, 2nd round interview was about 5 weeks later in late February, with 6 data scientists over 4 hours in the afternoon. I got an offer but it was for a lot less than I was expecting, and we couldn't bridge the gap enough for it to be worth it.

Everyone seemed relatively nice, although I could tell that a lot of the questions are really designed to trip you up, like they want you to miss some detail or edge case. My advice would be to pay attention to every little bit of minutiae regarding the question, make sure you're staying on task, write on the whiteboard, and explain your thoughts. Industry word is that data science at Facebook is not what it once was and is more of a product data analyst role now, so make sure you're really into Facebook products because that's what you'll be analyzing.

Also, I didn't get a single question about dice, cards, or any other brain teaser type questions. All these mentions of NDAs are missing the point of Glassdoor, people can be a little more verbose than "various questions". You can't trademark an interview question or claim it's a trade secret.

Interview Questions

• How would you measure the health of Mentions, Facebook's app for celebrities? How can FB determine if it's worth it to keep using it?

If a celebrity starts to use Mentions and begins interacting with their fans more, what part of the increase can be attributed to a celebrity using Mentions, and what part is just a celebrity wanting to get more involved in fan engagement?   6 Answers
    • There is a table that tracks every time a user turns a feature on or off, with columns user_id, action ("on" or "off), date, and time.

How many users turned the feature on today?
      How many users have ever turned the feature on?
      In a table that tracks the status of every user every day, how would you add today's data to it?   9 Answers
    • If 70% of Facebook users on iOS use Instagram, but only 35% of Facebook users on Android use Instagram, how would you investigate the discrepancy?   7 Answers
    • How do you measure newsfeed health?   3 Answers
    • If a PM says that they want to double the number of ads in Newsfeed, how would you figure out if this is a good idea or not?   5 Answers
    • We have two options for serving ads within Newsfeed:
      1 - out of every 25 stories, one will be an ad
      2 - every story has a 4% chance of being an ad

For each option, what is the expected number of ads shown in 100 news stories?
      If we go with option 2, what is the chance a user will be shown only a single ad in 100 stories? What about no ads at all?   14 Answers
    • How do you map nicknames (Pete, Andy, Nick, Rob, etc) to real names?   5 Answers
    • Facebook sees that likes are up 10% year over year, why could this be?   7 Answers
    • How many high schools that people have listed on their profiles are real? How do we find out, and deploy at scale, a way of finding invalid schools?   4 Answers

Business Integrity Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook (Austin, TX).

Interview

The interview was overall not very difficult. Some of the interviewers were extremely unprofessional. The least you can do is greet your candidate, and give some background on what work that you do. One of the interviewer I spoke to was reading out questions from a piece of paper and not bothered to have a conversation during the interview. I wish you make sure that the candidate you are interviewing with is made comfortable and then start asking your questions. Overall a negative experience

Interview Questions

• Random questions like tell a time when you broke a process. There was no context provided. So difficult to determine what the interviewer wanted to know.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Recruiter made me feel as ease, I was informed about interview well in advance and recruiter also prepped me on what to expect in the interview.
    Very clear and straight process.
    Round 1. Telephonic - leetcode medium 45 min
    F2F: 4 rounds
    1) Arrays- leetcode hard
    2) Linked list - leetcode medium
    3) System design - Hard - prep from interviewbit it helps
    4) Behavioral - Medium questions on values of FB. Resume, projects, work experiences.

Interview Questions

• Leetcode Hard and medium level questions on data structures & algorithms.   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Interview

One phone screen by a recruiter, followed by two phone interviews. Final round consisted of a series of short interviews in person at the FB campus.

The technical interviews were fairly straightforward, but the more open-ended marketing and analytics interviews were a mixed experience. Some interviewers were great, but others had trouble focusing on a cohesive question they want answered, and simply jumped around with their questioning.

Some interviewers provided basic feedback, both after and during (!) the interview. However, most of the feedback was self contradictory, and hurt more than helped in later interviews. At certain points, it felt like the decision to not move me on was already made, and the interviews were just something to get over with. More than one interviewer jumped straight to questions without introducing themselves.

Advice to any Facebook recruiters who may be looking: You need to work on quality control of your interviews. The spread in interview style and quality was far to high, leaving a lot to chance.

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

It was the most unprofessional experience I had throughout my career. I applied through employee referral, and was contacted by a recruiter a few days later. The recruiter rescheduled my interview three times, before he finally found available time for me. On the day of my interview, I was waiting for 25 minutes for a call, but I never received a call.
    Two hours later, I received an email asking to reschedule again. I was really disappointed but I agreed to reschedule again. One hour before my interview, I received another email asking to reschedule again. My interview was rescheduled five times in a period of three weeks.
    Reading about all the great experience people had with Facebook recruiters I couldn't believe that this was mine, but unfortunately it was really disappointing.
    In addition, the recruiter couldn't answer any of my questions about the role I was applying for, which was very unprofessional.

Product Manager Interview

Interview

Phone screen with recruiter -> On-site screening for product sense & execution -> Final round

Standard process as described by other. I actually didnt do well in my product sense but did well in execution, so i got a chance to re-do the product sense with another product manager.

A few takeaways from the interviews
    - Good exeprience with the recruiting team which is pretty rare especially in bayarea. If you get moved on to the next round, they do provide you pretty good feedback and try to help you as much as they can
    - You hear a lot of people say that FB interviewers are very friendly and nice. it's mostly true. but the one I had for product sense was def not the case. She was.....hard to talk to. not feeling like a conversation at all. think she has some interpersonal issue.... anyway, the point is that dont go in with the assumption that everyone is nice. be prepared for everything
    - They held a very high standard, so even though i was bummed, try not to feel discouraged if it doesnt work out. (maybe im just talking to myself here...... haha)

Interview Questions

• Design a tool or app to find a doctor   Answer Question
    • If FB doesnt have a birthday function, how would you design from scratch?   Answer Question

UX Researcher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

Had a 45-minute-long video conferencing interview with a researcher and research manager, followed several weeks later by an onsite that included: presentation and three 1:1 interviews with different researchers.

The positions you’re applying for tend to change because things move quickly. So you’re actually applying to FB/IG more generally. But the recruiter is great about considering your interests when figuring out who to pair you with in each 1:1.

Interview Questions

• The general formula was to ask you your opinion about issues with an app or site and then follow with questions about what type of research you would do to figure out what’s going on.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

I interviewed in person in NYC then they flew me to Menlo Park for a second interview. Both interviews lasted 45 minutes and were basic algorithm questions, with attention to edge cases