Facebook Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 19, 2018
3,815 Interview Reviews

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

phone interview starting with introducing yourself followed by two code questions.
    The first coding question is very standard coding question and the second one is
    a little more related to facebook's certain functionality

Data Scientist Interview

Interview

One HR interview, one takehome data challenge, one shared screen with SQL and one onsite with several 1:1 interviews. They check your coding skills and product sense via the takehome, your sql skills via the shared screen interview and machine learning theory as well as product sense during the onsite.
    They let you choose the language for the takehome and onsite there is no coding on the board. So you just need to know one language (whichever you want, although I think they prefer R or Python) + SQL. No C++/Java/etc stuff and no CS algo questions.

Interview Questions

• Data challenge was very similar to the ads analysis challenge on the book the collection of data science takehome challenge, so that was easy (if you have done your homework).

SQL was: you have a table where you have date, user_id, song_id and count. It shows at the end of each day how many times in her history a user has listened to a given song. So count is cumulative sum.
      You have to update this on a daily basis based on a second table that records in real time when a user listens to a given song. Basically, at the end of each day, you go to this second table and pull a count of each user/song combination and then add this count to the first table that has the lifetime count.
      If it is the first time a user has listened to a given song, you won't have this pair in the lifetime table, so you have to create the pair there and then add the count of the last day.

Onsite: lots of ads related and machine learning questions. How to build an ad model, how to test it, describe a model. I didn't do well in some of these.   21 Answers

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online in late December and then spoke to a recruiter for about 15 minutes in early January. I was scheduled for an in-person interview in mid January where I interviewed with one data scientist in a 1:1 interview for an hour for the first round. Another recruiter then called me for a 30 minute prep for the 2nd round. The final, 2nd round interview was about 5 weeks later in late February, with 6 data scientists over 4 hours in the afternoon. I got an offer but it was for a lot less than I was expecting, and we couldn't bridge the gap enough for it to be worth it.

Everyone seemed relatively nice, although I could tell that a lot of the questions are really designed to trip you up, like they want you to miss some detail or edge case. My advice would be to pay attention to every little bit of minutiae regarding the question, make sure you're staying on task, write on the whiteboard, and explain your thoughts. Industry word is that data science at Facebook is not what it once was and is more of a product data analyst role now, so make sure you're really into Facebook products because that's what you'll be analyzing.

Also, I didn't get a single question about dice, cards, or any other brain teaser type questions. All these mentions of NDAs are missing the point of Glassdoor, people can be a little more verbose than "various questions". You can't trademark an interview question or claim it's a trade secret.

Interview Questions

• How would you measure the health of Mentions, Facebook's app for celebrities? How can FB determine if it's worth it to keep using it?

If a celebrity starts to use Mentions and begins interacting with their fans more, what part of the increase can be attributed to a celebrity using Mentions, and what part is just a celebrity wanting to get more involved in fan engagement?   6 Answers
    • There is a table that tracks every time a user turns a feature on or off, with columns user_id, action ("on" or "off), date, and time.

How many users turned the feature on today?
      How many users have ever turned the feature on?
      In a table that tracks the status of every user every day, how would you add today's data to it?   9 Answers
    • If 70% of Facebook users on iOS use Instagram, but only 35% of Facebook users on Android use Instagram, how would you investigate the discrepancy?   6 Answers
    • How do you measure newsfeed health?   3 Answers
    • If a PM says that they want to double the number of ads in Newsfeed, how would you figure out if this is a good idea or not?   4 Answers
    • We have two options for serving ads within Newsfeed:
      1 - out of every 25 stories, one will be an ad
      2 - every story has a 4% chance of being an ad

For each option, what is the expected number of ads shown in 100 news stories?
      If we go with option 2, what is the chance a user will be shown only a single ad in 100 stories? What about no ads at all?   12 Answers
    • How do you map nicknames (Pete, Andy, Nick, Rob, etc) to real names?   3 Answers
    • Facebook sees that likes are up 10% year over year, why could this be?   6 Answers
    • How many high schools that people have listed on their profiles are real? How do we find out, and deploy at scale, a way of finding invalid schools?   4 Answers

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

They want to know your personality. Your resume got you the interview, now wow them. You get interviewed by multiple people so be consistent. Make sure your answers match up with the company culture.

Interview Questions

• How would you describe FB advertising to your grandma?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

- recruiter msg linked in
    - "we love profile"
    - me happy, set time to call

-recruiter call
    -talk about background my work
    -recruiter email me
    -"which teams you like "
     -me instagram and more
     -dancing.jpg

-interview day - 45 mins call
    - interview guy call on time
    - "okay lets code"
    - me "Ok"
    -give leetcode easy
    - me happy - code in 10 min
    - iinterview guy "ok good .. is work"
    - interview guy think let me screw candidate
    - give leetcode hard
    - me think - omg u seroius wow
    - me think logic.. think to code.. ok
    - ok code.. think.. code..
    - roadrunner.jpg
    -80% code finish confirm logic work
    - interview guy "ok time up any question"
    - me ask backgroud of guy
    - ok bye thanks goodweeknd etc

- recruiter email - reject

- me wow such broke system or such hire good???

Interview Questions

• solve leetcode easy? solve leetcode hard?   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

A recruiter contacted me on LinkedIn and set me up with a technical phone interview and then a full day onsite. I prepared using techinterviewclub.com. Most of the questions were from the site so it was super easy.

Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

I was contacted via a Linkedin inmail for a Recruiting position at Facebook. The first inmail came on Nov. 7, 2017. I responded back via Linkedin and email on Nov. 10 to set up a call with the Recruiter. She responded pretty immediately setting up a call for a few business days from our email exchange. After never calling me, I followed up with her via email again. She was out of the country and asked to schedule when she returned a week or so later. I will give her credit for reaching out after her return, but it was at least 2 weeks later bc she said she had gotten sick after returning from the vacation. At that time she looked to reschedule the call with me. I responded to her with available days and times and never heard back. Over a 4-5 week period, I was strung along which didn't so much bother me as a person since I wasn't an active job seeker and very much enjoy what I do with my current employer, BUT as a professional in the field it very much bothered me as you would expect a brand like this to offer great candidate experience, including their sourcing and recruiting process.

Interview

I applied through an employee referral. A recruiter contacted me and scheduled a phone interview. During the interview, she gave some details about the program, asked me why I was interested in the position, a little background, some HR questions like willingness to relocate, 2 behavioral questions. She said there will be 2 video conferences after this screening.

Interview Questions

• What feedback has mostly formed the way you do your work?
      Which of your projects are you proud of?   Answer Question

Production Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Was contacted via LinkedIn and agreed to a phone screen. The phone screen was about 20 mins and 10 questions that focused on Unix administration, specifically handling of processes and tracing processes. I made it to the code interview which was easy and kind of fun. My interviewer really wanted me to succeed and gave me test cases that helped me solve my question. I did not make it any further because my programming is not really refined, I'm a system admin with a bit of coding skill and they want coders with decent admin skills.

Interview Questions

• Split an array and add up the numbers so that the first part of the array equals the sum of the second part of possible.   Answer Question

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Was interviewed by 3 people for 15 minutes each. Similar to speed dating with a large group of other candidates. None of the interviewers were overly friendly. Very competitive market because even with being referred by a current employee and having matching experience, my answers were not good enough to make the cut.