Facebook Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Facebook

6,039 Interview Reviews

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

phone interview starting with introducing yourself followed by two code questions.
    The first coding question is very standard coding question and the second one is
    a little more related to facebook's certain functionality

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook (New York, NY) in March 2020.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me over email and set up a phone interview for the following week for a 15-minute call. I guess next round would have been with a hiring manager

Interview Questions

• PLEASE DON'T TAKE THE PHONE SCREENING LIGHTLY! I did and got rejected. I was expecting SQL questions and in general talk about my resume but she asked me a question on product sense and I was completely unprepared for it. Creation of Facebook user groups has gone down by 20%, what will you do? sounds simple but I messed it up so badly. I was just blabbering anything in an unstructured way, I sounded so stupid and not even fit for a small company forget Facebook. The recruiter was nice and she did not say anything but I were to hear my own answer, I would reject myself on spot. I regret it so much wish I could have prepared for it. I hope someone sees this and it helps them.

The SQL questions were easy and I did answer them correctly- what kind of joins to get only common rows, what the natural sorting order etc.   4 Answers

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

FB's product manager interview is really a hit or miss process. They basically ask you to go through multiple rounds of leadership, product sense, and analytics-based interviews, which seems fair, but the reality is that if you screw up on one small area, you get disqualified. So overall the process optimizes for people who thinks fast on their feet over the substance of the answer. While I don't disagree with the fact that there are a lot of good PMs who are like that, there are also a second breed of PMs who are more analytical and can offer much better solutions (especially product sense) if they are given the chance to research and analyze the problem. Asking me how to measure whether to autoplay videos and expect me to get ALL the metrics is not an accurate measure of my execution or analytic aptitude.
     Beyond the basic metrics, there are a lot of intuition, strategy, and peeling the onions that need to happen.

Interview Questions

• How should you decide whether to autoplay videos on the newsfeed? What success metrics?   3 Answers

Data Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Telephonic Interview: 30 mins SQL and 30 mins coding.
    Expectation: 4/5 in SQL should be correct and 3/5 in coding should be correct.

Most of the folks have already explained this process in detail so will jump on the interview questions.

Interview Questions

• want you to write me a simple spell checking engine.

The query language is a very simple regular expression-like language, with one special character: . (the dot character), which means EXACTLY ONE character (it can be any character). So, for example, 'c.t' would match 'cat' as the dot matches any character. There may be any number of dot characters in the query (or none).

Your spell checker will have to be optimized for speed, so you will have to write it in the required way. There would be a one-time setUp() function that does any pre-processing you require, and then there will be an isMatch() function that should run as fast as possible, utilizing that pre-processing.

There are some examples below, feel free to ask for clarification.

Word List:

[cat, bat, rat, drat, dart, drab]

Queries:

..... -> false
      h.t -> false
      c. -> false

// write a function
      // Struct setup(List<String> list_of_words)
      // Do whatever processing you want here
      // with reasonable efficiency.
      // Return whatever data structures you want.
      // This function will only run once

// write a function
      // bool isMatch(Struct struct, String query)
      // Returns whether the query is a match in the
      // dictionary (True/False)
      // Should be optimized for speed   4 Answers
    • Given an array of integers, we would like to determine whether the array is monotonic (non-decreasing/non-increasing) or not.
      Examples:
      // 1 4 6 3
      // false

//1 1 1 1 1 1
      // true   4 Answers
    • Calculate the average word length.
      For the given set of words return the average word length.   1 Answer
      | area_sqft | int | | gender | varchar |
      +-------------------+---------+ | date_account_opened | date |
                                            +---------------------+---------+

Question 1:
      What brands have an average price above $3 and contain at least 2 different products?

Question 2:
        To improve sales, the marketing department runs various types of promotions.
        The marketing manager would like to analyze the effectiveness of these promotion campaigns.
        In particular, what percent of our sales transactions had a valid promotion applied?

Question 3:
        We want to run a new promotion for our most successful category of products
        (we call these categories “product classes”).
        Can you find out what are the top 3 selling product classes by total sales?

Question 4:
          We are considering running a promo across brands. We want to target
          customers who have bought products from two specific brands.
          Can you find out which customers have bought products from both the
          “Fort West" and the "Golden" brands?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in May 2020.

Interview

COVID-19 Interview Experience:

Since I had a great resume (ex-Lyft, ex-Airbnb, ex-Segment), the recruiter scheduled a virtual onsite by skipping the technical phone interviews. I asked the recruiter to give me 4 weeks before the interview so that I could prepare for it. Here's what I did:

Coding: I solved ALL the medium problems on Cracking the Coding Interview book. I also solved 20 Medium and 5 Hard questions on Leetcode. Also booked 2 chesky.ai interviews a week before the interview.

System Design: Didn't really prepare much since I have a ton of experience as a senior engineer.

The interview lasted for about 5-6 hours. It was surprisingly not too overwhelming. I definitely prefer this style over onsite interviews tbh. The only downside was the system design portion. I had a whiteboard facing the camera so the positioning was rather odd.

For folks that are interviewing virtually (I guess everyone right now?), GET A WHITEBOARD and face it in front of the camera. Trust me. You'll appreciate this advice :)

Interview Questions

• Design "stories" (like Instagram and Whatsapp). Stories disappear after friends view them, and are only available for 24 hours after publishing.   3 Answers
    • LRU Cache   4 Answers
    • Clone Graph   Answer Question
    • K closest points to origin   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Completely ghosted (it's been 2+ weeks) by my recruiter after phone screen. I'm assuming I did not pass but it's unprofessional. Expectations for the interview are quite high why so while I was able to solve both problems and explained my thinking throughout the coding process, I don't doubt that I may have messed up somewhere.

Product Manager Interview

Interview

Recruiter call, 2 screening calls, offsite with 3-5 calls. The screening calls: one for execution and one for product sense. Don't make the mistake of assuming they're easy - they're quite intense. You get asked one big question in product sense, and 3-5 questions in Execution.

Interview Questions

• How owuld you design FB Sports?   2 Answers

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Very straightforward and simple. The interviewer asked basic technical and background questions. It seems though they are more focused on technicals more than anything else, so prepare well in advance for that.

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

It was intense, but interesting. The interviewers were really helpful and were guiding the conversation. There were 3 interviews: sense, design and leadership. Had to re-do one of the interviews, which is great that they provide this opportunity. Other companies are not as helpful.

Interview Questions

• You are the PM for news feed. How would you improve it?   Answer Question

Technical Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook (New York, NY).

Interview

Recruiter reached out to me. I had previously interviewed a couple of years ago and in their database. I wasnt a fan of the candidate experience back then and the form rejection (fake) letters with no feedback after multiple rounds (my friends received the same ones from the same recruiter). This recruiter was good and patient. Great listener. After multiple talks and rounds deciding which team, i made it to a final interview and the recruiter in charge got moved around. Long story short I was ghosted and figured I was out. Facebook is trying to change their image and they admitted this. Also stressed candidate experience and surveys. I find any company not even sharing basic interview feedback is a waste of time. I get a business decision was made, but after multiple rounds and lots of my time i couldnt even get a call or email, yet alone feedback. Pathetic candidate experience. Other SF based companies usually call, update and go over the decision. Facebook you're just a number and no reason is given. That's cool. Just stop trying to act like your candidate experience is great. I have talked to executives that went through their executive recruitment process and having lunch with interns on interviews? Another out of touch Data mining operation and censorship loving platform. Goodbye facebook.

Interview Questions

• How to handle competiting priorities   1 Answer