Facebook Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1,520 Interview Reviews

3.2

1,520 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

phone interview starting with introducing yourself followed by two code questions.
    The first coding question is very standard coding question and the second one is
    a little more related to facebook's certain functionality

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Standard computer science/algorithms phone screen interview.

I've been a few years in my current job, and I have decided to try the job market again. My resume is impressive, I haven't padded it in any way, I've led software projects to release on time, and I'm finding it easy to get as far as phone screens, but no further.

This isn't a criticism of Facebook itself, rather of the whole Bay Area software engineering scene - since the last time I went for interviews, there seems to be a much bigger focus on getting the initial computer science/algorithms questions correct on the first go. Miss an edge case that the interviewer brings up, you're toast. Misplace a < instead of <= in an iteration, you're toast even if you find it yourself. Take longer than 20 minutes per question, you're toast. Try to recreate from first principles an algorithm you haven't thought about since you graduated, or never, ever used in your work, you're toast.

I've interviewed many people in my current job, and never regretted recommending employment to any of them. Every single one of the people I've recommended have made mistakes in their coding tests, and every one of them managed to find the errors when I pointed out that they had made a mistake. Perhaps I have lower standards, but when I interview, I look for how the interviewee recovers from a mistake, not that they are able to regurgitate something they learned from reading over Glassdoor interview questions.

Or maybe I just come across badly on the phone. Hard to say.

To recreate the process, go to leetcode and try some of the medium/hard exercises. If you can't complete it in under 20 minutes, and you have to redo some work to cover all the edge cases on submitting the solution, you can be sure that in an interview employers will thank you for applying, praise you for your impressive resume, and tell you no thanks.

Interview Questions

• Variation of standard algorithm question. Corrected code on being given edge case. Took 25 minutes to get satisfactory answer - probably too long for the interviewer.   1 Answer
    • Second question was a dynamic program question - I knew how to find the solution but hadn't even thought of the algorithm for several years. Was unable to complete the solution in the remaining 20 minutes.   1 Answer

Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in West Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook (West Menlo Park, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

I applied online and at a career fair - not sure which led me to get a call (after nearly 2 months). Scheduled a two-part phone interview (SQL and Python). In comparison, the SQL interview was a tad bit more difficult but both were very straight forward. The questions were along the same lines as the other interviews. Was invited onsite 2 hours after my phone interview was done.
    The onsite interviews were super interesting and a lot of fun. Knowing the product was the most important skill there followed by SQL and then algorithms (pretty basic ones too). The recriter offered me the job 2 days later.
    Overall the best part of this entire process (apart from the super fun interviews) was the people I interacted with. The recruiter and the interviewers were amazing, kind and respectful. I was given a lot of prep material before the interview and was offered a lot of help during. This was simply the best interview process I went through. Cannot wait to be a part of the team

Interview Questions

• Phone Interviews - covered by other interviews on glassdoor   Answer Question
    • Onsite - 3 full stack interviews: given a KPI, choose the right metric, perform ETL (SQL/Code) . 1 lunch interview - casual discussion where you learn more about working in facebook and the interviewer tries to understand if you are a good fit.   1 Answer

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

The first 10 minutes was a short behavioral interview. Then there was algorithm questions. In the last 20 minutes the interviewer was open for questions. Overall he seemed pretty disinterested in me

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

First I was asked standard non technical questions. That was for 10 mins. Next I was given a coding question. After solving that one another harder question was asked.
    The interviewer was were very helpful and nice to talk to, unlike other places I have interviewed.

Network Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Takes not a long period to response and interview. Just two weeks. Interviewer is really nice and the questions are not so difficult. Because I was refereed by employee so the application process only takes one week, which is much faster than other ways.

Interview Questions

• Basic network protocols knowledge and scripting.   1 Answer

Applications Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Contacted by recruiter (likely via Linkedin). Set up interview with some random person. Couldn't understand the person (heavy accent). Had to ask them to type what they were trying to say. One question interview. Not allowed to run the code to try it out. Interviewer was late. Terrible interview process to just use 1 interview question and then not give any feedback as to why they declined. I answered the question using Lg runtime. Could probably have done linear runtime, but in a 30 minute run, I did what I could. Was looking forward to a free vacation to Cali on them, oh well.

Interview Questions

• Convert an integer input into words.   1 Answer

Machine Learning Engineer Interview

Interview

Depending on the recruiters, it could be a little pain progress. Some recruiter is nice and follows up with you closely to understand very steps. Some may not respond to you for weeks. Also some wired is that it transferred to different recruiters. For me, I got 3 different recruiters before setting up onsite.

Interview Questions

• Not very difficult but need well prepared. Also some interviewer like go deep. Just need to keep calm and try to present best of you.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook (New York, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

Was contacted by a Facebook recruiter on Linked In for my expertise in Android. We conversed on and off over a few weeks as I am on business travel a lot, and he was able to setup a phone-based technical interview for me that met my scheduling needs. This recruiter was incredibly professional and interpersonal, provided plenty of prep resources, and made me feel like he was really rooting for me. Awesome!

Technical phone interview went poorly. The interviewer introduced himself and immediately asked me a very vague Android question. I feel that I handled my responses very well in an attempt to narrow down what he may be fishing for while demonstrating myself to be adept with Android. Yet I was given very little positive feedback, and he seemed to ask the same question several more times. Apparently, I have no clue what he was asking. At this point, I felt like an item on his to-do list.

He denied the compile and run time capabilities of coderpad, making for a much more theoretical text-only based environment. So the solution would have to be proven to work via tracing it, which wastes time and renders coderpad pointless in my opinion.

It was difficult enough for me to understand the thick accent that it turned me off to asking clarifying questions during the coding problem. Instead, I felt that I had to voice every thought, which did not allow me to think more deliberately. I became a bit flustered and floundered for a moment, despite the question being relatively simple. I recognized this, and had prepared for it by having a white board at the ready. I requested to have a moment to collect my thoughts and draw on my board quick. I am a visual person and there are things that are just more easily drawn than typed out. He declined, telling me to stick to the editor.

At this point, it was game over. Typing my thoughts in the editor was making a mess as I traced my logic over the examples because the cursor was jumping all over. I believe this was because the editor was technically set to Java, and I should have made a comment block around his question and my typing. I also was not allowed to create a runnable Java class to put my code in. So I was cut off before long.

I tried to exchange some more pleasantries but he was clearly done. In any case, I had asked him why he chose Facebook and I got a dissatisfying answer. I would gander a guess that he was not nearly as stoked about the mission and impact of Facebook as I am, and I don't even work there!

I think I had most of the main working principles and demonstrated that I could code Java, but the solution was not complete. (To be honest, I think I suffered a small panic attack.) It does not matter if you invented a robot that defeats the Turing Test, the technical interviewer may not care to even read your resume and will shut you down if you do not perform flawlessly. With these tech giants, you won't be hired without a perfect performance.

The recruiter sent me a canned rejection two days later with no response to my reply. I completely understand and respect the decision to be cutoff. But I feel like it took two to make this a waste of everyone's time.

Interview Questions

• Balance a string with parentheses. "a(b)" -> "a(b)"; "(((((" -> ""; "(()())" -> "(()())"; ")ab(()" -> "ab()"; etc...   3 Answers

Android Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Interview

It was a standard, not easy but not too difficult technical interview with an emphasis on recursion problems and code efficiency. The recruiters are very prompt and on your side, so use them to your advantage. The interviewers were smart and quite nice too, which reflects the good culture of the eng org.

1. Short recruiter call
    2. 30-45 minute phone screen. Coding questions followed by some Q/A where you can ask dev some questions.
    3. Onsite interview consisting of 4 interviewers, approx 45 min each. A) Coding question B) Architecture question C) Behavioral questions with small coding question, and D) more coding questions.

Tip
    1. Use helper methods to keep your code clean. You may not actually need to code them out, saving you valuable time.

Interview Questions

• 1A. Given a sorted array of integers, make a binary search tree out of it. Solution is recursive.
      1B. What if you're passed a sorted linked list instead of a sorted array? Make a binary search tree out of this now. Solution is recursive.
      2. Compute the diameter (look up the definition) of a binary tree. Solution is recursive.
      3. Architecture - design the news feed from an Android client point of view.
      4. Given a dictionary of strings -> translations, translate an input string. Translations may overlap. For ex: 1->A, 11->B, 111->C. Solution is recursive and involves preprocessing the input dict.
      5. Given a queue of jobs, their runtime, and a cool down town, return the total time to finish the jobs. Input could be: A->3,B->2,A->3,A->3 and cool down of 2 after each job. Solution is iterative (and quite simple).
      6. Print a binary tree vertically aligned, where a node, it's right child's left child, and it's left child's right child are in the same group. Solution involves passing the groupId to each child. Right child will be curNode.groupId+1 and left child is curNode.groupId-1. Append in a hashtable<int, linkedlist> keyed by groupId.
      Answer Question