Facebook Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 26, 2017
2,878 Interview Reviews

3.2

Production Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Initial HR Screen with Basic Linux INTERNALS Questions (10 - 15 questions) - most of the questions already available on glassdoor.

IF you clear the HR round, you will be given the material to prepare for the subsequent rounds.... a wide variety of topics covering (way too many) everything that is going to be asked during the interview.

But the truth is................................... that it is too late to prepare ( if u have 3-5 days to go for the next round.)..............all of it ....................... if you already don't have a solid foundation of OS concepts and Algorithms.

If you are 4-6 months out from graduating ..............( YES !!! THEY ARE HIRING NEW GRADS FOR THIS ROLE..!!! ).............and there is a possibility of getting an interview(referral) for this position ., read the above paragraph again.

Systems round

They will ask you Linux questions .........till you feel.... you are out of your depth e. - an in-depth KNOWLEDGE OF LINUX INTERNALs is minimum criteria to clear this round.

Pick up a Linux Kernel book.... (own it.)........ and have an Overview of Performance related commands( Truth --- >> know each parameter( if it changes(increase/decrease) and how it affects performance( This is where i failed) ---- )

Last minute preparation
     Study the Entire Linux kernel and Performance related commands for 10-15 days before the interview.

Try to understand how web farms(servers) are maintained.... Expect some very vague problem statements( troubleshooting question). Be ready for a set of large scale (Web scale) troubleshooting related questions. .... they just want to examine your approach, (there are no right or wrong answers).................. ( For Vague problem statements---- >> ask questions or better state your assumptions but keep the flow. Its key.

Programming Round:

If you are not new to coding... this should be straight forward.

if you are new......... 3-4 weeks on hacker rank and algorithms basics( arrays, stacks, sorting) and you might get lucky.

Interview Questions

• Linux Performance commands..... ( Well the engineer spent ...15 mins on one command.. )

Know Kernel to the CPU interrupt level...
      Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in March 2017.

Interview

As most others have noted, the interview process is a 30-minute phone screener with a recruiter, then two back-to-back 45-minute video interviews with lead product managers, one on Product Sense and another on Execution, and then onsite interviews. I did not make it past the video interviews.

For the phone screener, the recruiter is just looking to make sure you've done relevant product management-type work:
    - Tell me about yourself
    - Have you ever worked on a product/feature you worked on from idea to launch?
    - How did you measure success of that product/feature? (provide examples of metrics you looked at)

My Product Sense interview was with a product lead on Facebook Messenger. He quickly told me that he had already read through my resume and asked if there was anything else unique about me that wasn't on my resume. He then asked me about two of my favorite consumer products to try and suss out any commonalities across the two to determine what characteristics I value in a good product. We then moved onto the meat of the interview, the product sense hypothetical. He presented the following hypothetical: "Design a way for people with similar interests/hobbies to connect".

I had prepped a structure of walking through the problem, the user, potential solutions, etc, but I struggled with this particular use case. His feedback was that I jumped too quickly into the solution, and that I needed to back up and talk about "pain points" in a bit more depth. Then, he provided feedback that I was getting stuck on pain points and needed to move onto the solution, as we were running out of time. I had 5 minutes at the end to ask him questions.

My Execution interview was with a product lead on Instagram, working on safety/community. He briefly introduced himself and his role, and asked me to quickly do the same. He the presented the following hypothetical: "Tell me what metrics you would look at as a product manager for Instagram ads".

We went through multiple follow-ups, asking me to prioritize which of those metrics would be most important, what to consider about how that metric might not tell the whole story, what I would do if I saw a sharp decrease in that metric from one day to the next, how I would rally the team around addressing that problem vs moving on, etc. I had a lot of fun here and thought I did fairly well with this interview, as it more closely reflected what I do in my current role day to day.

My advice for the Product Sense and Execution video interviews:
    - Figure out how well you're balanced between these two skill sets.
    - If you're unbalanced, like I was, focus on the area where you are weaker
    - Identify a structure to use for either interview. For Product Sense, I would recommend: 1) Clarify the problem, 2) Understand/make assumptions about the user, 3) Identify pain points, 4) Brainstorm solutions, 5) Explain rationale/tradeoffs. For Execution, I would recommend: 1) Identify the proxy metric that most closely reflects the real-world change, 2) Identify related metrics, 3) Refine to reduce chance of "gaming" the metric, 4) Identify what questions you would ask if those metric(s) fell (external factors, internal to Facebook factors, internal to product/feature factors), 5) Explain how you would make tradeoffs to prioritize addressing the issue. There are various books and websites that can lead you through other ways of structuring your answers to these two types of questions. I'd highly recommend writing out a flow chart of your structure that you can refer to during the interview.
    - Practice hypotheticals out loud with a friend. It was extremely helpful to also refine any problems you might have with communicating your ideas. Take the flow chart you created above and refine it by practicing out loud with a friend. I found it helpful to create a sort of mix-and-match flashcards by printing out 6 starts to a question and combining them with ends of a question. I put all of the starts in one bowl and all the ends in another bowl, and had my friend pick from the two bowls at random. Examples:

Starts:
    1. Tell me your favorite thing about...
    2. Design/re-design...
    3. How would you measure success of...
    4. How would you fix a problem with...

Ends:
    1. ...a way for people to find apartments/meet people with similar interests/find something to do this weekend
    2. ...X feature of Facebook/Instagram (i.e. Birthdays, Messenger, Saved, Ads, News Feed, Trending, etc)
    3. ...your favorite product

Ultimately, this interview process does a really good job at sussing out the skills that you've already developed. Prep can take you the last 10%, but if you don't have a firm foundation, it will be fairly difficult to succeed (at least in my experience). Trust your strengths and shore up your weaknesses.

Interview Questions

• Design a way for people with similar interests/hobbies to connect.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about your favorite product.   Answer Question
    • Tell me what metrics you would look at as a product manager for Instagram ads.   1 Answer
    • What questions do you have for me?   Answer Question

Solutions Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Facebook (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

First interview over the phone with a recruiter to basically see if you are right for the position and possibly a personality review.
    Second interview is a 25 minute problem solving session on the web.

Interview Questions

• You are to write pseudo code O(n) algorithm to maximize a one day trade. You will have 5 days of predicted prices and your algorithm must choose what day to buy and sell to maximize gains.   4 Answers

Software Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

First interview was a phone call with a Sr Manager, which was mostly an informational call. The full loop was of 6 interviews. 2 - system design, 2 management, 1 coding, 1 behavioural. Overall interview was well handled. One negative thing is there is no response after the interviews if you dont make it. Facebook, please close the loop even if you dont like the candidate, so the candidate gets some closure.

Interview Questions

• System design - Design a bitly/tinyurl.   1 Answer
    • System design - Design a system which takes in latitude and longitude and returns back closest 5 locations.   Answer Question
    • Coding - Max path in a tree.   Answer Question
    • Behavioural - take one project which you thought was most successful. The interviewer dives into all aspects of this project.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in March 2017.

Interview

Had initial 30-minute phone interview and interviewer called 15 minutes late! Rushed me through the set questions and barely left time for questions. Was told I'd be contacted the same week but had to follow up 2 weeks later and was told I was not going forward. The experience made me question if the culture is really all it is cracked up to be. An interview is a two-way street and even though Facebook is a big company, it is concerning that they don't value/respect applicants time.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you influenced a project   1 Answer

Sales Operations Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Facebook in June 2016.

Interview

Recruiter reached out to me several months after I applied. She was very nice and put me through to talk to the hiring manager the following week. The hiring manager was very technical and had little concern for cultural fit. I was given a case question which I had no clue how to answer and he abruptly ended the conversation though I assured him I was willing to learn. My some miracle I made it to the next round which was a case study which I had 2 hours to complete. No feedback was given except that I wasn't making it to the next round.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Facebook?   1 Answer

Production Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

It's a intense and length process with multiple steps, but all the interviewers were fair and helpful. Despite of the hard level of the questions, I left all interviews with a good feeling that I could show my skills and I could understand clearly my mistakes and week spots. The recruiter has also very responsive.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (London, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

I have received an interview after only a second application (2 months after the first one). One talk with recruiter, then another two with software engineeres. They were very nice however asked hard questions.

Interview Questions

• Find a cycle in linked list;   1 Answer

Strategic Partner Development Interview

Interview

I was not looking for a job but was approached by a current employee that suggested I might be the right fit for this position on this particular team and was encouraged to submit my resume. After my resume was submitted no less than 5 minutes later I got an email saying I was not the type of candidate they were looking for to fill this position. I suppose at least they followed up!

SMB Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)) in December 2016.

Interview

First interview is with an HR person, if you know what Facebook does in a very generic way and you know your CV and yourself you should be all set. it is probably harder to get the interview than to be successful in this one.
    Second interview is with a potential peer, you will get a case study you need to prepare and some behavioural questions afterwards. this one is a little more tricky, try to build some relationship with the interviewer and make it the mock call a conversation instead of a practiced set of questions (be agile and flexible to be able to adapt to the interviewer)
    Third interview is onsite, they say 'if you got to this place you did very well'. probably true, but in the end if you don't get the job, it doesn't bring you much. nonetheless, you did pretty well i guess. this one is t he hardest of all i personally found. you'll be set up with 4 interviews. all your different interviewers will have a different point of view, company fit, collaboration etc. these interviews are very demanding and challenging. the best way to prep for this is to check a lot of behavioural question and be able to provide examples.
    be concise, provide examples, don't talk about random stuff, just answer the question and don't try to go around it, show confidence and just show that you really want to work at FB

Interview Questions

• What are your strengths/weaknesses?
      Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
      Why do you want to work at Facebook?
      An initiative you’re most proud of in your career to date, and the result of this?
      Impact academic career
      Someone you admire?
      What motivates you in work?
      What is your biggest failure to date?
      Time management/juggling multiple commitments
      Examples of dealing with a difficult customer/partner you were working with
      If your previous manager were to say something bad about you, what would it be?
      Measureable results/success.
      What is the biggest professional mistake you have done?
      Why do you choose this position at Facebook?
      Tell me about a time when you failed to complete a task or project on time, despite intending to do so
      Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a client/stakeholder service issue
      Describe a time when you had to analyse a problem and generate a solution
      Tell me about a time when you set and achieved a goal
      Tell me about a situation when your wok was criticised
      Would you lie for the company?
      What is your favorite product
      Favourite Facebook campaign
      What do you think are the biggest challenges on the job?
      How would you manage 100,000 accounts with 10 people?
      What is Facebooks biggest challenge?
      What is facebook’s biggest threat?
      What is facebook’s biggest opportunity?

What service should we improve and how?
      What are the 3 main advantages of Facebook ads for brands?
      How would you describe a branding strategy on facebook?
      How would you define consultative sales?
      How can you maximize scalability by keeping teams small and client satisfaction high?
      Facebook uses 4 types of information of people
      What do you like and dislike about Facebook advertising product?
      If you were given 50 clients, how would you start?
      Explain me something
      Why is direct response advertising effective?

¥ Give me a 30 seconds elevator pitch
      ¥ Tell me about a time when you did not have statistical evidence but you had to make a decision and how you made that decision?
      ¥ If you start a company in a city that you are living in, what would it be, how will you develop the product, market it and distribute it?
      ¥ If a customer sees the ROI of google is higher compared to facebook? What would you do?
      ¥ IF you have two phone calls, in what order will you answer them?
      ¥ If you are the head of facebook and you want to double the revenue, what will you do?

¥ Tell me about a time when you faced a problem at work or at school for which you had to
      ¥ use your creative problem-solving skills
      ¥ Imagine that you had a goal to increase sales by 25% through Facebook advertising. How would you go about achieving this goal
      ¥ Tell me about a time when you ranked data from important to not important

¥ How would you react on a very negative colleague
      1 Answer