Facebook Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 21, 2017
3,188 Interview Reviews

3.2

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook in September 2017.

Interview

This was purely technical. There were no questions about past experience, areas of interest, or personality. I was encouraged by the recruiter to be prepared to "whiteboard code" and study facebook example interviews, which I did. They want to see your face during the interview, which is a little creepy, but beyond that I thought the interview was nice. The questions were easy. I think someone who has little to no experience, but has gone through some online training could probably pass this interview. For this reason, I am not sure why I wasn't good enough to get to the next round. I felt confident in my answers and thought we had a good up-beat dialog. I've never felt so good leaving an interview to be so quickly rejected.

Interview Questions

• 1. Easy SQL join and aggregation (can be done in your language of choice)
      2. Discuss pros and cons of using like-rate to determine system health
      3. Discuss what might cause average like rate to go from 70% one day to 30% another
      4. Explain how you would diagnose a 10% YoY "like" improvement
      5. What would be your next step to investigating why this happened   1 Answer

Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

One phone tech screen which covered both SQL and Python questions. They do the best job I've seen of hosting this tech screen / interview. They use CoderPad, and actually let you run the queries / functions. For SQL they provide a nice schema for you to reference. And for coding (python) they provide basic methods and reference materials for you to review if needed.

I did very well on the SQL Questions, which are listed below. A plus is talking through what you PLAN to do before you do it:
    - for each store show the % difference in sales between 2014 and 2015
    - % of all customers that have purchases at least 1 product
    - list all the customers that live in a state, ordered by the number of unique products they bought
    - Find the earliest born and last born customers, by gender, who have bought at least 1 product

I did not quite do as well on the python stuff. I was able to answer all of the python questions, but I received feedback that I should have talked through and thought through all the test cases they provide. So as to ensure you are working around all edge cases before starting to code. I got 3 questions, but forget the 3rd one. They two I remember were:
    - implement count_words(input_str) function which returns number of words from the input string (hint the edge cases they provide means you have to implement it manually)
    - implement count_substr(input_str, sub_str) function which returns the number of times the sub_str occurs in the input_str.

On site includes 4 interviews. 1 Lunch interview which is focused on team fit, and finding out if you are passionate about the role / company. You'll want to be able to answer questions like:
    - what product would you want to work on, why, what would you do if you worked on that project?

The other 3 on site interviews are "full stack" they focus on product sense, data modeling, SQL, data visualization, and coding (python.) You can make it into more of a conversation and it's a good thing to ask clarifying questions. You will have to write everything on a white board throughout the conversations, including data models, viz, SQL, and python functions. They will ask you to solve a specific business problem by coming up with a python function.

From a guy that didn't get the job, it was still a good experience. They do a good job of making into a much more realistic scenario instead of just a "tell me a time when...." type questions. Good luck to you!

Interview Questions

• given a list of tuples of movie watched times, find how many unique minutes of the movie did the viewer watch e.g. [(0,15),(10,25)]. The viewer watched 25 minutes of the movie.   2 Answers

Data Scientist - Analytics Interview

Interview

Heavy on Product Analysis, Basic SQL questions.

The communication is not clear since it is a phone interview. The interviewer asked me about a product, then a couple of related questions.

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Two round phone interview, each had 45 minutes.

The first round had one easy code question -- find the longest path between two leaf nodes
    The second round had two median code questions -- 1.phone number to string 2.longest arithmetic sequence

Interview Questions

• find the longest path between two leaf nodes
      phone number to string   1 Answer

Industry Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Facebook (New York, NY).

Interview

Very disappointed and surprised by how unprofessional this was given the reputation of the company. The HR contact was late to our call, asked me one question and took the entire time to tell me about the role (aka: simply read the job description), and then went radio silent.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me about your background and how you got to where you are?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Phone screen. First introduce past experience/projects, followed by two algorithm questions. Last few minutes to ask interviewer questions. Overall good interview experience. Interviewer was willing to give hints and feedback.

Interview Questions

• Find the connected components in a graph.   1 Answer

Contactor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Phone screen with one engineer, the chat was nice and relaxed. He explained the responsibility of the position and asked couple question of what i did in the past job. So far, 3 days haven't heard from them yet.

Interview Questions

• Asked to review one project I worked on recently, and asked few questions about the project.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Screen followed by full day interviews. Expectation is to solve two questions in two coding rounds in about 35 to 40 mins. So, indirect expectation is to mug up/memorize and spit out there. No time for thinking because many people just mug up to crack. I am not a mugger and this is not a place to work if you really care about solving real unseen problems.

Machine Learning Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

An recruiter reached out to me.
    There is first a phone interview containing two coding questions.
    The onsite interview is 4 hours with 4 rounds
    Onsite interview consists of 2 rounds of coding, 1 round of behavior and 1 round of machine learning design

Data Analyst (Sophmores Only) Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Submitted Online Application through facebook's website. Had to answer 3 questions. My interview was in Menlo Park, CA. Two 30-minute interviews. You hear back within a week. No programming questions were asked. The interview is not super hard, just be confident.

Interview Questions

• - How would you judge a facebook page's performance? Follow up questions based on answers   1 Answer