Facebook Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 18, 2017
3,036 Interview Reviews

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

One Phone Interview. Three questions. Leetcode Medium level.

Then onsite after two weeks. 4 rounds of whiteboard interviews. Interviewers we pretty chill. One leetcode easy and other questions were of leetcode hard level. Screwed up the easy question (brain freeze I guess). Managed the hard questions with the best possible complexity but missed a few edge cases and some silly mistakes that could have been avoided. I guess they look for a complete working solution with the best time complexity. Got a generic reject mail within 2 weeks.

Overall a positive experience !

Interview Questions

Interview

The entire recruiting team was amazing! I had an awesome candidate experience. Interviews with the hiring manager and the team were authentic and conversational. Everyone was very transparent and super responsive throughout the process. These folks are super smart, confident, and decisive. Loved every moment of the recruiting experience!

Interview Questions

• I don't think specific questions are necessary to add, but I will say that you should know your job well and be equipped for the role to which you're applying. Be prepared with specific examples of how you impact the business and build relationships. Most importantly, be yourself and be genuine.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Basic questions about how you can help the company and they asked to describe different scenarios to know more about you and your thought process so that they know if you fit the role or not.

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

Note: the role was for the Analytics role

Surprisingly very simple questions onsite. SQL, probability, etc. Questions seemed too easy for a real data science role. And the interviewer was kind of a jerk.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

Had a few chats with the recruiter, mostly because I kept dropping off. Recruiter was nice and seemed generally enthusiastic. I finally scheduled a phone screen in July 2017. Completed the exercise on collabedit. I completed in the time allotted, with about 8 minutes to spare. Gave correct runtime and functional, correct code. Interviewer was skeptical it worked, but after walking through it he decided it worked and said I did pretty well. I was not moved forward to an onsite. I was not given any feedback on my performance. I have no idea what went wrong. This is the second time I did a phone screen with FB and this is exactly what happened before.

Interview Questions

• Remove unbalanced parenthesis from a string. Give Runtime, space.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in July 2017.

Interview

Traditional interview process, phone + onsite. I was declined after the phone part although I've provided right solutions for both questions. I guess when you are interviewed by the fresh grad those guys/gals treat interview as some kind of test where you should write an answer without any minor mistakes and testing.

Easy questions, not sure why I was declined.

Interview Questions

• Given an array, move all zeroes to the right.   1 Answer
    • Given a list of persons and a function knows(I,j) which returns true if person I knows person j, find a celebrity person defined as: person doesn't know anybody else and everybody else knows him.   1 Answer

Android Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Interview

It was a standard, not easy but not too difficult technical interview with an emphasis on recursion problems and code efficiency. The recruiters are very prompt and on your side, so use them to your advantage. The interviewers were smart and quite nice too, which reflects the good culture of the eng org.

1. Short recruiter call
    2. 30-45 minute phone screen. Coding questions followed by some Q/A where you can ask dev some questions.
    3. Onsite interview consisting of 4 interviewers, approx 45 min each. A) Coding question B) Architecture question C) Behavioral questions with small coding question, and D) more coding questions.

Tip
    1. Use helper methods to keep your code clean. You may not actually need to code them out, saving you valuable time.

Interview Questions

• 1A. Given a sorted array of integers, make a binary search tree out of it. Solution is recursive.
      1B. What if you're passed a sorted linked list instead of a sorted array? Make a binary search tree out of this now. Solution is recursive.
      2. Compute the diameter (look up the definition) of a binary tree. Solution is recursive.
      3. Architecture - design the news feed from an Android client point of view.
      4. Given a dictionary of strings -> translations, translate an input string. Translations may overlap. For ex: 1->A, 11->B, 111->C. Solution is recursive and involves preprocessing the input dict.
      5. Given a queue of jobs, their runtime, and a cool down town, return the total time to finish the jobs. Input could be: A->3,B->2,A->3,A->3 and cool down of 2 after each job. Solution is iterative (and quite simple).
      6. Print a binary tree vertically aligned, where a node, it's right child's left child, and it's left child's right child are in the same group. Solution involves passing the groupId to each child. Right child will be curNode.groupId+1 and left child is curNode.groupId-1. Append in a hashtable<int, linkedlist> keyed by groupId.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

First I was asked standard non technical questions. That was for 10 mins. Next I was given a coding question. After solving that one another harder question was asked.
    The interviewer was were very helpful and nice to talk to, unlike other places I have interviewed.

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

The first 10 minutes was a short behavioral interview. Then there was algorithm questions. In the last 20 minutes the interviewer was open for questions. Overall he seemed pretty disinterested in me

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

This is about the interview for 'data scientist - analytics.' There are other data scientist positions in facebook such as research scientists or data scientists in core science, and the interview process is different for data scientist-analytics. Please keep that in mind.
    Anyways, my interview is a bit different from others in that I didn't have a phone chat with the recruiter or anything like that. I just got an e-mail from one of the recruiters (University recruiters... I was a full data scientist at other company back, and I still am now) that I was selected for a video interview for 'data scientist, analytics, INTERN,' a position that I never applied for, and it asked me to fill out questionnaires and to confirm my availability on Feb 20st (not sure about the exact date, but close). So I told the recruiter that while I'm excited about the interview opportunity at the facebook

1) I am already a full-time data scientist at another company
    2) I graduated 3 years ago
    3) I am only interested in the full-time job

and then I got an e-mail saying that I would be considered for the full time data scientist job. I was like 'sure' and we set up the video interview on that day. No phone chat with the recruiter whatsoever, just an e-mail description of what the interview would be like along with the link.

The interview was two parts: SQL and product question. Before I dive into questions, I just wanted to say that I had interviews with a bunch of other firms (Microsoft, Amazon, Google, Apple, etc) in the past, and this was one of very few times when no stat/math questions were asked at all during the technical phone interview. The job description seems to mention that the statistical modeling skill is required, but from the way interview is structured, I can get the feeling that the importance of SQL coding skill and product sense far outweighs the level of the interviewee's stat/math knowledge. This seemed more like a business intelligence analyst type of role, not the data scientist role that I envisioned at a company like facebook (Again, I'm only talking about the data scientist - analytics position. Research scientist of data scientist in core science role could be really research-oriented and fun).

Now, the SQL question was just that given a table of users where each user can take a specific action (Accept, reject, etc) on the other user on a certain date, how would I track the acceptance rate over time. Again, this is just a simple SQL coding, and you can easily do it as long as you know how to do INNER JOIN on different tables.

For product question, it asked for a feature that I do not remember and how would I test whether adding that feature would be beneficial for the company. Just a simple a/b testing question, but you really have to hone your product sense and be able to look at it from various angles. Would the user be satisfied with the feature? Would the feature take up too much space that could be used otherwise (ads or other pages)? and so on.

Overall, I think I did well, but again, that's just my feeling. However, at least, I am sure that I got the SQL part done correctly and fast enough. After the interview, I asked the interviewer how long it would take to hear back, and he said probably a couple of days, but hopefully not more than a week. However, here's a twist. I got a rejection e-mail, AN HOUR later (never really got the reply back this fast in my life after phone screening), and it said I would not be considered for "Data Scientist, Analytics, University Grad" position. UNIVERSITY GRAD! from the same recruiter (university recruiter) who initially e=mailed me about the internship opportunity.

That position only applies to those graduating in 2017, and I made sure to the recruiter that I am no longer a university student. I replied back asking that why the position says university grad, and guess what? I never got the reply back.

Either way, in terms of the interview questions, the role seemed to put too much focus on SQL (which you can seriously learn in a day) and product sense (a quality that's highly valued for business intelligence analyst role). Also, in terms of how the interview progressed, it was totally and utterly unprofessional (shooting me an e-mail that I would be interviewed for an intern, a position that I never applied for, and giving me just one day and asking me to confirm my availability on that day, not even giving me flexibility on which date to choose from, and rejecting me one hour after the interview for the position that is still not what we agreed on).

I have nothing against Facebook. I still think it's a great company with amazing culture and perks, but I really don't think I'll recommend any of my friends to apply for data scientist analytics roles for facebook.