Facebook Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Facebook

6,140 Interview Reviews

3.1

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Coding on a white board. An easy question. Made bugs and did not finished but get through anyway - the recruiter was rather grading the thought process than details, which was a big positive surprise for me.

Network Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in June 2015.

Interview

Passed through 3 phone interviews full of questions to test knowledge and understanding of networking and system performance. After last interview there was no response from Facebook recruiter. She wouldn't reply to e-mails nor return voicemails. Expect that if you spend that much time that there would at least be a 'thank you for your time but we are no longer considering you for the position we will keep your resume on file for future opportunities"

Interview Questions

• How would you improve SNMP for monitoring a network device?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Providence, RI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Facebook (Providence, RI) in June 2015.

Interview

I talked to an engineer at college career fair, got a first round interview for the following week. The interview was a 1:1 technical interview that lasted 45 minutes. The recruiter hosted a meet and greet session with all the engineers and interviewees the night before interviews began so everyone could get to know their interviewer in a more relaxed setting.

Solutions Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Facebook (Houston, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

A recruiter set up a telephone interview with me after submitting my resume. That was a blazingly fast response. The first part of the interview took about 30 minutes. She walked me through the requirements of the position and asked me I had any questions at the end. I was given fifteen minutes to complete a coding challenge, while she monitored my code on a collaborative editor. One day after the interview, she got back to me and said I did not make for the second round of the interview, after my code went through a review process by the Facebook technical team.

Interview Questions

• Write a program which stores the results of the numbers in a Fibonancci sequence in an array   9 Answers

Product Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

I responded to a recruiter for a Product Designer position. After an initial call with the recruiter, I had two separate interviews back to back. During the first interview, the focus is on process and a portfolio review. You are asked to pick two projects to walkthrough your decisions and involvement. During the second interview, you are tasked with critiquing a real world app through a specific use-case.

Interview Questions

• During the app critique, the interviewer will ask what you notice that could use improvement, what you would change and specific reasons why your idea would be better than it currently stands.   Answer Question

Performance and Capacity Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied online, and within a few weeks a recruiter followed up with me to do an initial screen. After the screening, I had a phone interview with a team lead for the performance and capacity engineering group. After that phone call, they decided to fly me out to Menlo Park for a full day of interviews.

I met with 6 people at Facebook's main campus. Each interview was about 45 minutes and had a different focus:

- Coding interview, where the goal is to come up with a solution as fast as possible (on a whiteboard).
    - System design.
    - Probability and statistics.
    - Culture fit.

Everyone I met was very pleasant and friendly, and the recruiters were quite helpful throughout the process, almost acting as a sort of coach.

Less than a week after the on-site interview, the recruiter contacted me to tell me they would be moving forward with other candidates.

When I asked for feedback, I was told I didn't perform well enough on the coding exercise (though I did solve both problems, but perhaps I wasn't fast enough?).

Interview Questions

• Given a sorted set of numbers, find the first sequence of numbers that add up to a specified value.   1 Answer

Data Scientist, Product Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me on LinkedIn. I had a quick call with her to confirm my interest and then she set me up with a technical phone screen that same week. Because I did okay, not great, I had a second phone screen the following week. Then within another week or two I went in for an onsite interview with 5 different team members ranging from analyst to manager. The interview was on a Friday and by Tuesday, I believe, they had gotten back to me with a no - but they softened the blow by letting me know that I was a good fit, but that my technical skills weren't quite there, so I should give them a call back in 6 months or when they are there, whichever comes last.

Overall the people I interviewed with were very cool and supportive (one exception, but there always is, isn't there?) In the end, I don't actually think I was qualified for the position, but had I been, I most likely would have taken the role. The only negative for me really was the workspace - the entire office is one room.

Both phone screens were the same format. They start by telling you about the role, ask you to describe your experience and then they jump right into a case, which also serves as a SQL exercise. They provide you with a sample schema then ask you to write queries against it and answer some strategic questions about how you might think about the output or what conclusions you could draw from the metrics available to you (or those you might create.) Overall for someone who uses SQL regularly (which I do) this was very easy - though I will say if you are not familiar with the format, where you code live (which I wasn't) it can throw you off. All of the queries I saw in the phone screen and the onsite interview relied a lot on COUNT and self joins and other nested queries, so if you feel you might be nervous you could review those concepts.

I was really happy with the onsite interview, it was even a little bit fun, but I really didn't know what I was doing half the time, so that was a bit awkward. What I liked the most was that it was almost 100% skill based, none of the "tell me about a time when" or "what's your greatest strength" nonsense that I'm used to.

The first interview was a business case. I was asked what kind of metrics I would look at, how I would track them, what conclusions I might draw from different scenarios. It was basic, but they were looking for some specific insights so I would say even though it was open ended, there were right and wrong answers.

The next interview was a SQL interview. It was a lot like the phone screen, just more involved.

The following interview was Python/R based and asked me to write a couple of algorithms. I don't actually know Python/R so I did pretty badly! But it's a testament to the culture (or at least the kindness of this one guy) that he was not rude about it, just tried to give me some coaching and be friendly while I wrote a lot of non-sensical things on the whiteboard. Since then I have taken Coursera's R Programming course and I would say that if you pass that class you should be able to pass this interview - though perhaps if you fly through the first couple of algorithms they get progressively harder in which case the class may not be sufficient.

The next interview was a probability question. I had done a ton of probability prep based on the reviews I saw on Glassdoor but he really knocked me over with a question that I had no idea how to answer. Bayes rule what? That was not at all relevant in this case, sadly.

The final interview was another case, or so it seemed, but actually I think it was more of a test of my stats 101 knowledge, which I didn't quite pick up on right away. The interviewer asked me a kind of confusing question which I thought was a bit of an analysis question, but really he was asking me: "what is standard deviation?" but in the most round about, muddled way possible. He also had a thick accent and was very stern which didn't help. So I actually think I did the worst on this (even worse than the Python/R which I didn't even know!), which is funny because I know stats very well, but that's how it goes.

Overall I would say I was very unfamiliar with this style of interview. I have an MBA so I had done a lot of less technical interview prep. However it seemed very fair and very manageable... if you actually know the material.

Interview Questions

• You're at a casino with two dice, if you roll a 5 you win, and get paid $10. What is your expected payout? If you play until you win (however long that takes) then stop, what is your expected payout?   4 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Took multiple months as I was not available. The recruiter did an excellent job in making sure that I take the interview. The interview took 45 mins and started with details about my previous work experience. That took about 20 mins and then I was left with 20 mins for the programming question. He gave me a problem related to BST. Obviously I need to draw the tree etc and he cannot see that on phone interview. I started with multiple approaches and he told specifically what I need to do eg. give only recursive solution, you can only store few things no extra space. In the end i was able to solve with a minor hint and he was also telling me to fix bugs as I was coding as well indent code as per his standards. Overall it was a good experience but I did not get the offer as they are looking for people who can code in like 10 mins as I was able to code in 15-20 mins. They want bug free code and will only go forward with the best candidate. I think even if you do a minor mistake you are out as there is someone else who will solve it perfectly so try to solve it perfectly :)
    Another important lesson is if you get option of phone v/s in person interview, I will say go for in person interview as it gives the interviewer the chance to see what you are doing on paper verses imagining that over phone.

Interview Questions

• serialize and serialize a BST   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Internal recruiter contacted me. I had an initial phone screen with recruiter, including a couple basic technical questions, followed by a phone screen with an engineer where we coded on a collaborative editing Web site. Heard back the next day and we scheduled for an on-site. On-site consisted of 4 interviews, two technical, one architectural, and one behavioral. All interviews involved writing on a white board (actually just writing on the wall in a small room).

Recruiters were consistently punctual and professional. Interviewers were friendly and helped keep the process low-stress.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Facebook in June 2015.

Interview

The interview lasts 60 mins. First he introduced where he was working at and then ask for more details about my projects on my resume. Then he posted a technical question. I first discussed the solution to him and wrote it in C++. After all, I asked some questions like the daily responsibilities on that position.

Interview Questions

• Given a path in Unix file system, simplify it.
      For example, /a/b/./ -> /a/b   Answer Question