Facebook Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 18, 2017
3,037 Interview Reviews

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

I contacted a recruiter with an opening and received immediate response for a phone screen. After that the recruiter scheduled a technical phone round where the focus was on SQL and JAVA (which was my preferred language). The recruiter provided ample material and time in order to prepare for the interview. The phone screen was pretty good. The interviewer was friendly and provided hints whenever necessary. After the phone screen, the recruiter invited me for an onsite interview round. the onsite interview round consisted for 3 full stack interviews and one lunch interview. Once again I was given ample time and material to prepare. The onsite interview was conducted in a very small room with just 2 person capacity. I don't know if it was intentional or not, but that environment makes the interview more stressful than it already is. The last interviewer didnot know JAVA, whereas the recruiter had assured me that all the interviewers will be aware of my preference of JAVA. I feel the last interviewer wasn't interested in interviewing me as I knew JAVA and he knew Python. All the other interviewers where great and fun.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions were along the same lines as the ones already posted on Glassdoor.   Answer Question

SE Applied ML Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook in June 2017.

Interview

two phone screen in two weeks. The fist interviewer introduced himself at the beginning and asked me some questions related to my current research. Then we moved to one coding question and after that, let me ask some questions. The second interviewer asked 2 coding questions directly and finished the interview after that. All questions are easy level.

Interview Questions

• which ML algorithm you use in your research. Do you use Deep Learning? Coding: add two binary strings, find the maximum number in the array, and return its index. If the maximum number exists many times, return one index randomly. Number of island.   Answer Question

Sr. Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Took 4 weeks. One screening call. One full hour technical questions. One full hour secondary technical questions. One full day on site. Questions start generic such as basics in computer science. Then becomes harder as progress goes.

Interview Questions

• Write java code to solve tower of Hanoi for any number and analyze time.   1 Answer

Data Engineer Interview

Application

I interviewed at Facebook in June 2017.

Interview

Had a single phone interview, The interview was a poor experience. First, The interviewer never cared about what i did in my job.This should be the most important question for experienced people,but dint even see my resume. For the questions ,they were along the same lines as the other interviews. The interviewer basically had 5 questions already in the editor before i even started.I tried to solve them as quickly as possibly,but was able to complete only 3 because of the detailed explanation i gave(probably a mistake on my part).After i solved the 3rd question(dint even ask algo for 4 and 5 coding)he pasted the 5 sql questions.Managed to complete the 5 sql though. The interviewer was quiet during the whole interviewLater got a rejection. Think the expectation is to cram the solutions before hand and just write solutions even before reading the solution / your typing speed should be high. Being an interviewer myself, feel the way some interviews are conducted are not good. Time shouldnt be such a factor.Assumption that if you code a problem in 15 minutes and other person takes 20 minutes, the person taking 15 minutes would code/work more in a day is as good an assumption that a 200m distance runner would beat a marathon runner in a marathon race. Hope my fellow interviewers get it sometime in future atleast

My second bad interview experience with Facebook and to top it all heard I cant interview for 1 year.Love the company but think i have to re-evaluate if i want to ever experience their interview process again.

The recruiters were nice during the short process and would like to thank them.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

A recruited reached out to me and I had a call with her. This was followed by a technical screening with a data science manager. The last step was a full round of interviews onsite.

Interview Questions

• They asked SQL questions, probability and product analysis   Answer Question

Client Partner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook (New York, NY).

Interview

I had my first call with a recruiter and after that was the hiring manager. From there, an in-person session was scheduled. The final process would have been a pitch but didn't get past the in-person interview. Even though I didn't get the job, thought it was a very smooth interview process.

Interview Questions

• What's the biggest trend at Facebook in the past few years?   1 Answer

Patnerships Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

After no response for about 2 months, I was rushed into a phone /video interview with the hiring manager, then delayed with we will bring you in soon - looks like it went well with the hiring manager to then 2 weeks later notified that I was not in further consideration.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Phone screening with human resources, as a first assessment. Then first stage of phone coding interview using codepad focused on algorithmic question.The inteview lasts 45 minutes and you are presented with a problem immediately that you need to solve as fast as you can.

Interview Questions

• Given the alphabet encoded as numbers (e.g., a=1, b=2, ..., z=26), and a sequence of numbers (e.g., "23413259802"), how many strings can be generated.   16 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter on linked in. Told them I wasn't in the process of looking for a job, and hadn't prepared for interviews yet, and they told me that they would be happy to wait for me to prepare and interview me. Gave me over a month to prepare, before I did 2 45 minute phone interviews.

Phone interview was pretty much exactly as everyone else explained. Note to readers: If you saw people who thought the interview process was easy, you also noticed that they didn't often get offers. They ask challenging questions, and expect you to explain your thought process in solving the problems. It was a challenging process, but very fair. I actually struggled quite a bit on my coding interview, but I did very well on my SQL portion, and because I communicated my thought process clearly in my coding section, they decided to move forward.

In departure from what I have ever experienced, I got a phone call from a manager explaining the onsite interview process to me, what he was generally looking for in a candidate, and what the general process was like. It was a really cool thing, I really felt like they wanted me to succeed, and that they weren't actively rooting against me.

The onsite was 3 full stack interviews. There were some questions that were pretty tough, but it was a realistic interview that really tested how you'd think and perform on a day to day basis.

Interview Questions

• Pretty much in line with what other people have been asked.   24 Answers

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook in May 2017.

Interview

Recruiter conversation and phone screen, one phone screen via video call.
    At first I was pleased because the recruiter sent a detailed preparation guide and I had a few weeks to prepare. I spent some time preparing nearly every day, making sure I was well versed in R, which was the language that I requested for the phone screen.
    The recruiter emphasized that product sense was important, so I spent time thinking and reading about metrics necessary to evaluate products and how that may be applied to Facebook.
    In the end, I think I would have been better off without the interview preparation guide, as it turned out to be completely misleading.
    The interview contained no probability questions, even though that was mentioned as part of it, and no product sense questions. There was only one fairly straightforward data engineering type question.
    The rest was simply SQL questions, even though I had requested R as the language. I was able to use R to answer the SQL question, and then for the second follow-up questions switched to SQL, but really the type of question would be best answered with SQL.
    The interview guide said that if you requested R, then they would be testing dplyr/apply functions, but that wasn't really true.
    The SQL question was not straightforward, but fairly challenging. I was thrown off because I was expecting a data analysis question using R, and I was a bit nervous under pressure. I was able to answer the questions, but not without stumbling a bit.
    The whole process was frustrating because I write fairly complex SQL questions often as part of my job, and have never had a query I couldn't figure out. But under the pressure of the interview, I didn't perform spectacularly. I wish I had not spent time on the other parts of the interview prep and just focused on SQL, and I probably would have been more successful. So beware the prep guide may lead you astray.

Interview Questions

• SQL question
      One basic data engineering related question   1 Answer