Facebook Operations Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Facebook Operations Interview Questions

Updated May 28, 2017

3.2

User Operations Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

I applied online via Facebook and received an email from a recruiter two or three days later. First interview was via the phone with a recruiter and was pretty relaxed. She asked about some of my experience specific to the position and also had me walk through some resume highlights. She then talked about the position I applied for as well as another she thought might be a good fit and asked about my general interests as it related to those positions. Overall, the interview lasted about 30 minutes. She said she'd pass me onto a phone interview with a team member.

Phone interview with the team member was a fairly straightforward behavioral interview that lasted about 30 minutes.

The original recruiter contacted me and said they wanted to invite me in-person. It sounded like there was some internal reshuffling/reorganization and they ended up cancelling the in-person interview.

Overall, my interviewers were fairly friendly and didn't ask any hardball questions. Interviews were fairly relaxed and felt more like conversations.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

I had three different phone interviews in addition to the on-site and the online timed writing task. They want to make sure you are a good fit for Facebook. It's also a great opportunity for you to make sure Facebook is a good fit for you. All-in-all, it was a smooth process and my recruiter was awesome. My advice: prep yourself for the interviews (e.g. come up with answers to possible questions, scenarios, etc.)!

Interview Questions

• I don't think I can answer this due to the NDA, but be prepared for team and personality questions.   Answer Question

Field Facilities Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in June 2013.

Interview

Applied online and had recruiter phone screen the following week. Was flown to Menlo Park a month later for six 1:1 interviews with team. Was disappointed by short amount of time I got with each (under a half hour, including with the hiring manager). Most of the employees were friendly although first person I met with couldn't be bothered to get my resume info correct even though she had a copy right in front of her. Flight, hotel and taxi all reimbursed. All in all, pretty good experience.

Interview Questions

• Was asked by the hiring manager my opinion of the other interviewers i had already spoken to.   Answer Question

Online Sales Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Chicago, IL) in May 2013.

Interview

Asked really hard questions that required convoluted answers. There where no correct answers but rather your process on how you reached them. Interviewees did not seem interested in the process.

Interview Questions

• How much do you charge to wash every window in Seattle?   3 Answers

User Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

Referred by a friend. Contacted by a recruiter via email shortly thereafter.

Interview Questions

• Rating your experience on 1-10 scale.

Which Facebook applications do you use?
      Answer Question

Job was too technical.

Analyst (Developer Operations) Interview

Application

Interview

Referred by a friend. After two weeks, my friend followed up on my application and I immediately got an email requesting a phone screen.

Phone screen lasted about 20 minutes with mostly basic questions (ie. Why Facebook, why this particular position). Questions revolved around my skillset related to the job and there was the basic behaviorial question regarding team work.

It seemed the recruiter was skeptical on my technical skills from the very beginning and was curt and mostly monotone (even when I specifically asked about the Facebook culture) but they weren't unpleasant.

Emphasis was placed on Facebook applications that I used and knowledge of SQL. I do not know SQL so unfortunately this position was not a fit (job description did not call this out hence the disconnect on the interview). They also seemed to be looking for a candidate that was into gaming and used applications on the platform extensively.

At the end of the interview, the recruiter did not ask for any questions which I thought was a bit strange (hello, red flag!) and they said they would speak with their hiring manager and let me know within a day or two. The next day I received an email saying that they would retain my resume for future positions but that I was not a match for their current openings.

Principal Writer (User Operations) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in February 2013.

Interview

I submitted my resume online and was able to indicate a Facebook employee (a former colleague of mine) to act as a reference.

A week later, I was contacted by a recruiter letting me know that based on my profile I looked like I would be a good fit, and included a writing test for me to complete in one week, which was a sufficient amount of time. The writing test included two parts: first, write one page guide for users on how to use FB Events, specifically for the teacher demographic.

About one week later, the same recruiter wrote me saying I had passed the writing test and that she would like to chat on the phone. The phone interview with the recruiter was pretty straight-forward. She just asked me about my background, what type of work I did at each job, why I left each, and why I'd like to work for Facebook. She also asked me if I had used data to make decisions, inform my writing, and also whether I had done a/b testing. Towards the end she asked me housekeeping questions, was I considering other jobs, when could I start, what my salary expectations were, and after that she said everything checked out and she felt comfortable inviting me to meet with the content team for an on-site interview, plus another writing test. Her advice to me: study Facebook Help Center, Facebook in the press, think analytically about how to improve Help Center, user education considering mobile and international audiences.

A few days later, the details of my on-site interview were e-mailed to me by an HR assistant, laid out nicely and clearly. I had about 1.5 weeks to prepare for the on-site and took the recruiter's advice.

On-site interview was on a Wednesday from 9 to 11:30 AM.

First 30 minutes were dedicated to the writing test given. They provided me with a Macbook in a small conference room. The writing prompt asked me to re-write two FAQs from the Help Center. I was interrupted twice during my writing test, once by the HR assistant who came in to connect the ethernet cable, and a second time by the original recruiter who introduced herself and mentioned that the first writing test would have more weight than this one, this one was more to test how I write under pressure. I still don't know if those interruptions were intentional, either way, I lost about 5 minutes and this led to me not being able to complete the writing test (had about 25% left).

Next two hours, I met with 5 people on the content team; three were 1:1 including with the hiring manager, and I met with the two more junior team members as a pair. They all came into the conference room with their MacBook Pros ready to type notes as they interviewed me. All their questions were about the same: describe myself, what was my work like at X, Y, Z. How would I improve the Help Center, How have I used data to inform writing, What do I think is the point of the Help Center, etc. etc. The hiring manager asked questions with a little more purpose. She asked me what other writing jobs I was looking at, when I described them to her she said they sounded a lot more "creative" than the work I'd be doing at Facebook and was that OK with me? I was caught off guard by that, but kept my ground and kept it positive. She also asked me if I had experience doing pivot tables. I said yes but my voice wavered as I do not have a lot of experience with it. She emphasized a couple more times in the conversation that there was no room for creativity or color in Help Center content, and that that was more for the Marketing team. I think after talking to me she sensed that the type of work I am better fit for is more editorial and creative, and the actual work at Facebook would not be fulfilling to me as someone 5 years into my writing/marketing career with a strong sense of what I want to do and feel most passionately about.

One week later, I got an e-mail from Facebook recruiting thanking me, saying I was not a fit based on my background, etc. Pretty standard. I think the interviews went well for me, but in the end, I was not a fit.

Interview Questions

• How would you approach scaling the help center to international audiences? Mobile users?   Answer Question

Interview

On campus screen and writing sample. General questions, nothing surprising. About two weeks later a recruiter called and offered an onsite. Flew to the interview later that week and had four rounds of interviews with three analysts and a manager.

Interview Questions

• Had a question about team dynamics at one of my previous jobs. Having only worked part time restaurant jobs through college, this was unexpected.   Answer Question

Manager, Risk Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Austin, TX) in November 2012.

Interview

I applied for this position online and heard back from a recruiter within one week. The phone interview/pre-screen process was typical and fairly common, consisting of basic questions about my background and resume. After the initial phone interview I was scheduled to complete a phone interview with someone else.

One week later the phone interview with the hiring manager took place. The interview was fairly basic and straightforward. It seemed more conversational than a list of pre-determined questions. The interviewer seemed preoccupied and aloof, which immediately turned me off.

One week later I received an email letting me know that they were pursuing other candidates.

Platform Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in November 2012.

Interview

Pretty straight forward. A lead phone interview which was pretty basic. Asked about my background and why i was interested in the role. Then 4-5 in person interviews each lasting 30 mins. Each interviewer had their own angle or agenda. One of the interviewers was the hiring manager. On site at Facebook. Recruiter set up everything. Overall pretty smooth and no trick questions or scare tactics.

Interview Questions

• Background based. Platform based. A few critical thinking questions   Answer Question