Facebook Operations Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.2

210 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Community Operations Team Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Austin, TX) in March 2014.

Interview

PROCESS: I was referred to the role by a friend of mine; the process began through a 30-minute discussion with the recruiter. Several days later, I spoke with the hiring manager over the phone, after which I received positive feedback and an invitation to fly to Austin for final interviews with the team.

I had five on-site interviews, all lasting 30 minutes each: a two-person panel discussion, a team lead, the hiring manager, a team member, and the outgoing Team Lead I was replacing. The discussions ranged from scenario-based questions to how I would handle team dynamics.

OUTCOME: After the discussions, I was notified several days later that I would not be receiving an offer; I requested feedback but wasn't provided any. Fortunately, a good friend of mine at FB knew the hiring manager and provided further details.

SUMMARY: The process was smooth and fairly efficient, and while I got a good sense of the culture of the team, office, and company...I didn't sense a real emphasis on getting to know me better as a person. Every other discussion I've had with tech companies for these sorts of team leadership roles places a heavy amount of emphasis on my "fit". Example: I'm interviewing with a particular cloud-storage company (rhymes with Hot Shots :) ) for the exact same role, and during my onsite in ATX they took me out to coffee, asked me what my goals were and what I looked most forward to if I moved there. Less robotic, more holistic.

Either way, FB is growing and thriving and brings on some incredibly smart and capable folks. Enjoy the process!

Interview Questions

• I don't think any question was terribly difficult -- I was asked about how well I knew CSS even though it wasn't included in the job description. That was kind of unexpected.   Answer Question

User Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

I applied online through Facebook page, and they contacted me right immediately like on that day which was scary for me. I guess they embody truly the culture of moving fast. I got an e-mail with to complete some online test with 13 questions and they were on:
    13 questions:
    9 Analytical Multiple Choice Questions – focusing on sets, trend analysis, calculus, stats, etc.
    1 open ended basic SQL question.
    1 open ended normalization question.
    1 Multiple Choice English language comprehension question.
    1 open ended language question (this part should be 200 – 300 words).
    The entire online assessment test was conducted through hackerrank.com and it was for 90 min.
    Personally I did not go and complete the Quiz within couple of day. I did take my time to prepare and I was right. It is a difficult test. I did use apps like the impossible interview and the aptitude interview from iTunes app store to prepare. They were a help.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult or unexpected thing was that they contact you right immediately leaving you no time to prepare, so before you apply take you're time to prepare and they apply. other than that this question was pretty difficult:

An analyst at Facebook is conducting a satisfaction survey sampling from a list of 10,000 new users. The list includes 2,500 French users, 2,500 German users, 2,500 Italian users, and 2,500 Portuguese users. The analyst select a sample of 400 users, by randomly sampling 100 users of each country. is this an example of a simple random sample?   2 Answers

Negotiation

It was a contract, there where no negotiations.

Community Operations Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in March 2014.

Interview

I applied online and got contacted by facebook less than two weeks later.

First Round: Was asked to complete two 400 word essays in a specific time frame (i think it was 8mins). One of the questions was along the lines of "In a free society like the US, describe one thing you think shouldn't be allowed on facebook".

Second Round: Was contacted less than a week later for phone interview with someone on the team. The conversation consisted of mainly random questions. One was "what about facebook would you like to see improved"

Third Round: HR took about a week and a half to get back to me after the second round. This round involved another discussion with someone from the team. Questions were more targeted towards Community operations. e.g How would you address the issue of fake accounts on facebook ? What ideas would you implement to address the issue ?

HR got back to me about two weeks later saying they were going with another candidate.

Interview Questions

• How would you address the issue of fake accounts on facebook ? What ideas would you implement to address the issue ? What ideas would you implement to identify fake accounts ?   Answer Question

Analyst, User Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

started with an initial phone screen, followed by a phone interview consisting of behavioral questions, then an onsite with 5 1:1 interviews, each taking 20-30 minutes

Contractor User Operations Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

I was contacted to set up two phone interviews on two separate days. The questions were slightly generic questions pertaining to work environment, personality, and past job performances. All in all, my interviews were very relaxed; I talked with two current Facebook employees, not the hiring manager, so don't be alarmed in that sense!

Interview Questions

• Identifying fake profiles - how would you go about that?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me to set up an interview a week after I submitted my resume online.
    Then I had one in-person interview with my future supervisor because I was in the area. Otherwise, it would have been a phone interview.
    A month or two later, I had one follow-up phone call from a person whom I would not work with but who also did data analytics.

Interview Questions

• I had one question for each interview and both were probability puzzles. Here is the tougher one: you have a bag of N strings, and at random, you pull out a end. You pull out another end and you tie the two ends together. You take another two string ends and tie them together. You repeat this until there are no loose ends left to pull out of the bag. What is the expected number of loops?   3 Answers

Operations Associate User Intelligence Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Austin, TX).

Interview

Phone interview first, basic standard questions with some twists. Brought me in for a 3 hour interview process with 4-5 people. Office is awesome

Interview Questions

• Tell me your plan of action if you saw that photo uploads suddenly dropped by 50%   Answer Question

Team Lead - User Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Facebook (Austin, TX) in October 2013.

Interview

I interviewed for a team lead role in their growing Austin, TX office thanks to a referral from a current employee in that office. I was surprised when the call came from their San Francisco recruiting team, even more so that the recruiter didn't realize I was in Austin, recruiting for an Austin role.

Upon starting the interview, it was very evident the recruiter was young and inexperienced given his questions and his reactions. I've interviewed a lot lately, and felt as if I was talking to a wall. This might have happened because my technical knowledge and experience seemed to be over his head, and he was probably just reading from a script. e.g. "Tell me about yourself and why you applied" .... then right into the next question, "Have you ever led a team" .... next question "Tell me a time when you solved a problem". It was rather frustrating because my resume clearly stated that I had managed multiple teams (up to 100 people) over the years.

Afterwards, he said he was excited to pass my resume on to the actual team I'd be working with and then get back to me about the next step. When I didn't hear in a week, I followed up, and then followed up after three weeks - no response, ever. It's safe to say they weren't interested, but given that it took them almost two months to call me up after I submitted my referred resume, and never got back to me afterwards, I'd say it's best to just pass these guys up. They are moving too fast for their own good.

User Operations Team Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Austin, TX).

Interview

One phone interview with a recruiter, then a second with the hiring manager. Next round i did four additional interviews onsite, and a group interview with the team to be led. The last four interviews were almost entirely made of consulting type questions. Despite the fact that the position would manage 8-12 people, i was never asked about my experience leading teams, or my experience at all really. I was disappointed that i didnt have the opportunity to talk more about applicable skills

Payment Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Facebook (Austin, TX) in October 2013.

Interview

The process begins with a phone screening interview by the head of the department. If you pass this first step, you will be invited to a second and final in-house interview of two hours where you will be asked to sit in a room for a bit as three different team members come in separately to ask you basic questions about your qualifications.