Facebook Interview Questions | Glassdoor

6,140 Interview Reviews

3.1

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (New York, NY) in May 2020.

Interview

Facebook emailed me often asking me to interview for a position there, and I finally did after I was ready to leave my job. I had an initial call with a recruiter who just gave me generic information. She then scheduled a technical interview for me, and I took 2 weeks to prepare.

I did the interview on CoderPad over their video service. The interviewer didn't have the best grasp of English, so it was difficult for me to follow what they were asking. She asked me to do a simple algorithm implementation. I tried asking questions about what the expectations were for the work, and much of the time, she had difficulty explaining what she was asking, and would get flustered and realize she explained something wrong and have to walk it back.

Once I got a good grasp on the conditions and the edge cases, I set about writing out the algorithm. There was no expectation for it to actually run, so I walked her through my logic. She didn't really say much, and changed the input and asked how that would change the output and I walked her through again. She then asked me for the Big(O) of the algorithm, and I gave her my answer - which I believe was correct.

Nothing was said afterwards - I'm used to interviewers asking how I could have improved the algorithm. She left me about 3 minutes for questions for her, and that was it.

Overall, it was not a great experience. These interviews in general seem geared towards kids right out of college, and not testing the abilities of someone with over 15 years of experience (me).

I emailed the recruiter afterwards asking about next steps, and she said she'd get back to me the next week. Got a generic rejection email on Monday. I emailed asking for feedback as I was surprised, and was ignored. I sent my solution to 5 friends who are senior/principle engineers, and all of them said they have no idea why I was rejected.

I've interviewed and worked at other prestigious tech organizations, and never had an experience like this before. I'm not sure what sort of candidate they're looking to attract with this experience, but I certainly would never entertain interviewing for a job there again.

Interview Questions

• Take an array of strings, and return a boolean value if they are in order, based on another array of strings indicating the weight of each character.   3 Answers

Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Facebook (New York, NY) in May 2020.

Interview

A Facebook recruiter reached out to me in December to see if I would be interested in interviewing, based on my LinkedIn profile. Initial conversation was pleasant and recruiter was helpful in explaining the process.

About 2 months later I had an initial 45 min phone screen/interview with an existing engineering manager. The recruiter gives you all the necessary materials to prepare and they tell you the types of questions you need to have answers for. They follow the typical “tell me about a time when you had to...” format.

The recruiter followed up within a couple days to say they wanted to move on to the full day interviews. Due to Covid-19 I had to reschedule multiple times which wasn’t an issue.

The main set of interviews consisted of 6 x 45 min sessions with different interviewers. 1 is focused on your history. 1 on programming skills which included the standard algorithm type questions for which a quick google will give you plenty of examples (like sliding window, memorization, etc). 2 are focused on design where you walk through designing a theoretical system that scales to Facebook/Instagram levels of users. 2 are focused on soft skills and managerial style.

All interviewers were on time and pleasant. Interviews are back to back with a 45 min break for lunch. The interviews are done over video app as there are currently no onsite interviews.

Interview Questions

• Design a real-time comment system for under a Facebook post which may have millions of concurrent active users   2 Answers

Data Scientist Interview

Interview

I had a video interview with a Data Scientist. The interview lasted about 45 minutes and consisted of one technical coding (SQL) question and a product question. The team member gave me time to ask questions at the end.

Interview Questions

• Given a database of posts and a database of comments on those posts, how do you determine how many conversations are happening in the comments per post on average.   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in April 2020.

Interview

It was a great process. Applied through a recruiter who contacted me on Linkedin then we set up a call to chat about my experience and the interview process. We scheduled a technical round and I was able to answer 3 SQL and 2.5 python . Looks like need at least 4 and 4 to get to next round so my journey ended here.

Interview Questions

• # # sales # products
      # +------------------+---------+ +---------------------+---------+
      # | end_date | DATE | +---------------------+---------+
      # +------------------+---------+
      # */

# Question 1:
      # -- What percent of all products in the grocery chain's catalog
      # -- are both low fat and recyclable?
      #   1 Answer
    • Question 2:
       What are the top five (ranked in decreasing order)
       single-channel media types that correspond to the most money
      the grocery chain had spent on its promotional campaigns?   1 Answer
    • # Question 3:
      # -- % Of sales that had a valid promotion, the VP of marketing
      # -- wants to know what % of transactions occur on either
      # -- the very first day or the very last day of a promotion campaign.   6 Answers
    • Question 1:
      # Complete a function that returns the number of times a given character occurs in the given string

# For example:
      # - input string = "mississippi"
      # - char = "s"
      # - output : 4
      """   4 Answers
    • """
      # Question 2:
      # Fill in the blanks
      # Given an array containing None values fill in the None values
      # with most recent non None value in the array

# - input array: [1,None,2,3,None,None,5,None]
      # - output array: [1,1,2,3,3,3,5,5]
      #   6 Answers
    • # Question 3:
      # Complete a function that returns a list containing all the mismatched words (case sensitive) between two given input strings

# For example:
      # - string 1 : "Firstly this is the first string"
      # - string 2 : "Next is the second string"
      # - output : ['Firstly', 'this', 'first', 'Next', 'second']   4 Answers

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

Two phone interviews with two different Facebook PMs, one tested for product sense and the other for execution. The interviews were back to back on the same day, and each one was 45 minutes long

Interview Questions

• How would you design a volunteering app for Facebook (Like Groups but where non-profit organizations can search for volunteers and people who would like to volunteer can connect, start a group or join an existing cause)?

Followup questions - how would you prioritize your solutions? Why?   6 Answers
    • You are the PM of the "share" feature(which people use to share on feed, as a private message etc.). How would you measure success of this feature? What metrics would you use and why? Out of the ones you have mentioned, which is the most important and why?

1) Your team has implemented a change in the "share" and released it for A/B testing, where you realized that there is increase of 20% usage of the feature. would you decide to release it?
      2) You have recently released the new feature, and you were informed by all local sites (Facebook sites in each country) that the usage has indeed increased by 20%, but the overall global data shows only 5% increase. How is this possible?   7 Answers

Product Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in May 2020.

Interview

The recruiting website shows 3 positions at the beginning. The other two ghost me. End it I only can pick the last one. The first part is the app critique. The hiring website says I should take the lead, but at the beginning of the interview, the interviewer said he going to take the lead of the conversation. He gave me some recommendations of what apps went well in the past, I picked Spotify. This one went well. And the second half is the past work review. I choose two different of my past work on ppt, it feels like the interviewer was not paid attention. He was asking some questions that I addressed. At the same time looks like he was busying on something else on his laptop. During the presentation, he was interacting with me about the question so I don't have enough time to show all of my works.

Interview Questions

• If you have all the power that in xx company, what would you change? - App critique   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (New York, NY).

Interview

I have gotten as far as doing the onsite multiple times in the last few years. I won't go into the details of the process, as they've been described by other folks, but there's one element I definitely want to point out, which to me is of the utmost importance.

After they let me know I failed the n-th onsite, I asked for feedback, and I didn't receive any specific one. This is not new to me, as this never changed time after time.

I'd like to point out I interviewed with other companies of the Bay Area before, and there is indeed such thing as a very detailed feedback, which is very valuable information to a candidate!

This is not the end of it though.

After some time, I got an email with a link to a thorough feedback questionnaire about the last interview process at Facebook.

Since I believe in symmetry, needless to say no contribution whatsoever will be given!

This is the reason for my negative assessment.

Data Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Recruiter reached out, Pretty basic 5 to 6 initial screening questions and then scheduled for coding interview based on the availability.
    The recruiter will send you all the basic study material, time is the key to get to about 5 question in each sections

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

The interview consisted of two rounds. the first was technical, where you had about an hour to answer 4 coding questions. the second round was behavioral where they asked questions about past projects and mitigating disagreements in teams.

Product Designer Interview

Interview

Great recruiting process. They are lacking in communicating any constructive feedback. I think it depends on who you get as an interviewee. My first round was a success and the second the interviewer was very late.

Interview Questions

• Questions were not unexpected or difficult.   1 Answer