Facebook Machine Learning Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated May 5, 2021

To filter interviews, or .
Found 7 of over 7.7K interviews

Other20%
3.4
HardAverageEasy

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA) in Feb 2021

Interview

Phone screening and a technical interview that was mainly leetcode questions and had nothing to do with machine learning. I was first excited about the opportunity, but the interview preparation is a lot of work. For someone as busy as I am, I just don’t have the time to go back and learn stuff that is on Leetcode. I am an experienced Machjne Learning professional. This type of questioning is beyond me. Still, I did put in three weeks of training and freshening up as much as I can. I got two questions in my interview. I solved the first one with the optimal answer in seconds, and for the second one I took about 5 minutes to think about it. Apparently that was not enough to make it.y personal opinion, this is a horrible experience and I do not respect the company after this. This is equivalent to me as buying a Ferrari then asking me about the bike I used to ride when I was 10 years old. I had so much knowledge and experience to share in Machine Learning, but instead let’s solve a Leetcode problem that has nothing to do with Machine Learning at all to measure my skills in a field that I do not even work in.

Interview Questions
  • Standard medium or hard Leetcode questions
    1 Answer
2 people found this interview helpful

Facebook

Application

I interviewed at Facebook

Interview

One on one with a FB employee. Interview was conducted over video chat. Two leetscode questions. Fairly standard. Went through time and space complexity. Medium to Hard difficulty (per leetscode).

Interview Questions
  • What is the time complexity of this solution? What is the space complexity?

Facebook

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in Dec 2020

Interview

I have more than 8 years of experience in ML & AI. I am really good at what I do and I have awards and accolades that need a list. Facebook approached me to work with them on ML projects which to me was really exciting. The issue is that I did not get a single ML question during the whole interview process. Instead I was asked questions about things that I learned years ago and do not really have time to go over them thoroughly anymore. I am a seasoned practitioner and not someone who just finished school without experience. The fact that Facebook had me go through a process of reviewing and testing data structure concepts that are not even relevant to ML along with me putting a lot of time and effort for the technical interview makes it of the worst if the worst interviewing experiences I have ever had. And I actually solved the problems they gave with the optimal solution and I showed nothing but grace and class during the whole process. The fact that Facebook rejected me after that is still ridiculous to me and really confusing. My suggestion is that if you want people who work in ML, please keep the interview in ML. If I was asked one question in the area I wouldn’t have been so negative. But all the people who met me from Facebook did not have any ML knowledge. It was very disappointing for me and I felt really insulted.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 months. I interviewed at Facebook (London, England, England) in Oct 2020

Interview

First, there was a Phone-in with the FB recruiter. It was good and they scheduled an online coding one-to-one interview with Engineer. It was comparatively easy and in 2 days I got the message that the interview was successful and there will be a virtual onsite interview with the FB ML Team in london. FB Recruiters are really helpful while preparing for the interviews. They are the best! The Onsite interview had 5 rounds - Behavioural, 2 coding rounds, System Design, and ML Design. Coding rounds are average with problems similar to leetcode, and we need to prepare well in advance. System design and ML design are more focused on how we will approach the problem in real life scenario.

Interview Questions
  • Coding questions were similar to leetcode and other competitive programming

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England, England

Application

I applied through an employee referral I interviewed at Facebook (London, England, England) in Dec 2019

Interview

Overall the process is quite smooth: 1. First interview with HR (basic questions on experience). After the interview the HR sends you prep materials for the next stages (Coding, System Design, Machine Learning Design, Behavioural). 2. Online coding interview. You are asked to solve 2 problems in under 1h time. 3. Onsite interviews: - 2xCoding: you need to solve two problems in under 1h. - System Design: discuss the imaginable service and how to build it. - Machine Learning Design: how to design an ML solution. - Behavioural: general questions on experience and how you work with peers. 2.

Interview Questions
  • Q: How would you design a news recommender system for Facebook?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (San Diego, CA) in Dec 2018

Interview

2 round of coding. 4 chance of team match. I have no idea why I didn't match with a team. One round because of the PHD, strongly feel it is disrespect for phd candidates because the bar for applying the phd is already higher than masters. It is double kill.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA) in Dec 2009

Interview

There was a phone interview with two very weak, very easy technical questions (e.g. basics of binary search). I then went in for a day with two 45-minute interviews, followed by a day with 3 interviews. Due to scheduling constraints, they scheduled next-day interviews (!), but as a result, one of the interviewers didn't show and I had to go find the recruiter, who found me someone else after a bit of apology and hassle. The interviews tended to be very similar. First, I'd be asked to talk about some sort of interesting research I did. After that, I'd have one or more algorithm/coding questions, where the first part would be to explain the solution to some algorithmic problem, and the second part would be to code it up. Sometimes one of the parts would be omitted, but every interviewer wanted to see code on the whiteboard. I liked the open feel of the office and culture, but found that people seemed more driven by the company's success and profit than by the fun problems they got to work on, which left me a little less attracted. However, for someone with more interest in business success than I have, that might be ideal. I'm sure there are interesting problems there, and there are plenty of smart people and it's a flexible environment. The vacation time is among the best, though other benefits are still lacking (e.g. investment matching). Compensation included a large proportion of stock grants, the value of which is still uncertain. Due to my timidity, I did not engage in any compensation negotiation, and my recruiter did not bring up the possibility of increasing it, which surprised me given that they knew I had a competing offer. I found that somewhat unwelcoming, but perhaps it's standard.

Interview Questions
  • Suppose you have a matrix of numbers. How can you easily compute the sum of any rectangle (i.e. a range [row_start, row_end, col_start, col_end]) of those numbers? How would you code this?
12 people found this interview helpful