Facebook Interview Questions in Menlo Park, CA | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 17, 2017

3.3

637 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

The process took 6+ weeks from initial phone screen to onsite interview. The interview is average as the questions can be well guessed by doing leetcode medium & hard problems.

Interview Questions

• Leetcode 1) Profit-Loss (1 buy sell) 2) Profit-Loss (unlimited buy sell with transaction fee)   1 Answer
    • Leetcode : Decode ways (a=1, b=2 .. z=26), decode '1123' ...   1 Answer
    • Phonescreen : Leetcode 3sum   1 Answer

Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

I recently went through the interview process after being contacted by a recruiter. The process began with a phone screen followed by an onsite interview panel with six individuals 30 minutes each.

The recruiter was very helpful in describing the role, what the needs of the role are and who it reports to along with the individuals who I would be speaking with and what their roles are. The scheduling was perfect and everything ran on time. I enjoyed speaking with all the members of the panel and the questions were substantive for the most part, definitely one of the better prepared and executed interviews with things being on point. The only issue which was a bit foreboding was a question by one of the participants asking "are you getting close to retirement" which threw me off a bit although you have better chance of seeing a pterodactyl flying over Menlo Park then someone over 45 working at Facebook (and honestly anywhere in the valley), still you dont expect people to be so upfront about it. As expected no offer but overall a good experience but based on it would likely not entertain another recruiter call from them.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn, first we had a call so they get to know me, then I sent my resume and my phone number and we scheduled a phone technical interview with one of facebook engineers, i asked for two weeks to prepare myself.

Recruiter sent me preparation material, including videos , posts, and some tips
    They want you to be at your best, and they want you to know what to expect so you can be ready with no surprises, also you can contact them in case you have any question.

when the day of the interview arrived i wasn't completely ready and i got really really nervious.
    for some reason i couldn't receive the call on my cell phone so i got it on my home phone, with de phone between my ear and shoulder.

i live in mexico so i'm not really used to speak english a lot, the first 3 minutes i was catching the conversation like 2 or 3 seconds later, but it's ok for you to ask your interviewer to slow down a little . if it's not your first language it could be useful to start speaking english around 10 minutes before your interview

So the interview began straight to the technical questions, i leave the questions in the questions section, we shared a web editor named code pad, you can choose whatever language you code best in.

in the first question i had some mistakes and then i realized it was incomplete,
    actually i came with a good solution for both questions some minutes after the interview was already over.

if you are really used to some IDE that points out when you are not using some variable or have a syntax error it could be useful to use a simple notepad a few days before.

the second question was easier than the first one but i failed to come up with a good solution in terms of time complexity

we discuss each solution as i was coding, my interviewer pointed me a couple of cases i wasn't expecting, after the first question i knew i didn't make it because i was performing poorly.

then in the final part I could ask a couple of questions to my interviewer , so i had an insight on how is a common day working for facebook, and i really liked what i heard, it seems to be a great company to work for.

they gave me feedback by email the very same day of the interview

Interview Questions

• having a fuction that return chunks of 1024 Mb create a function that fetch any number of Mb, this function must call the fetch 1024 function one or more times to get all the chunks necesary   1 Answer
    • create a function that receives a string and verify if it is palindrom, you should filter spaces and special chars   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter via email and he then called me up to get to know about my background and experience and then he scheduled a phone interview with one of the Facebook Engineers. The initial phone screen was pretty straightforward and not that difficult, so I was able to solve all the problems. I received an email from the recruiter the very next day for a quick chat over the phone and there I was told that they would like to continue with this process and a second phone interview was scheduled.
    The second phone interview was easy as well and I was able to solve the problem pretty quickly. And like before I was contacted by the recruiter almost immediately and he scheduled an on-site interview for me at Menlo Park,CA. The on-site interviewes were very intense. The questions were tough but luckily the interviewers at FB are very friendly and they try to help you out as much as they can. They actually want you to succeed. I underestimated the system design round and that was my BIGGEST mistake. But all in all, the whole experience was amazing. I have been to a lot of interviews before but the way Facebook conducts the interviews is just awesome.

Interview Questions

• PI - 1:
                 i.) Reverse a Linked List?
                 ii.) Divide 2 numbers without using "/" symbol and return remainder and the quotient?

PI - 2:
                 i.) Merge Intervals (Leet Code)

OS:
           i.) Behavioural: Why FB? Followed by a coding challenge: Minimal run time scheduler(Leet Code)
          ii.) CC: Expression Evaluation
         iii.) CC: Find the K closest points to the origin in 2D plane, given an array containing N points. You can assume K is much smaller than N and N is very large.   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

I had a phone interview with a recruiter.

A week later, the hiring manager emailed me to say she needed to reschedule our phone call. That's fine, except I never received a email from anyone letting me know of a next step or that I was scheduled to speak with a hiring manager. The hiring manager and I exchanged emails and scheduled ourselves to chat the following day. The hiring manager let me know she wanted to move forward and meet with me onsite.

A week later the recruiter called and asked for my on-site availability. I received a confirmation email for a day/time I didn't provide and wasn't available.

I contacted the recruiting coordinator and Recruiter by email to let them now of the scheduling mistake. I didn't hear back from anyone. I called the Recruiter and recruiting coordinator and left voicemails letting them know of the scheduling mistake. The following day the recruiter called back and said that it was her fault, she gave the recruiting coordinator the wrong dates. A day later, I was scheduled per my availability to come onsite.

Onsite, my first interview was a video call, but the video didn't work. I had to find someone sitting near the conference room to troubleshoot, but they couldn't get the video working. The other interviews went smoothly. I didn't meet with the hiring manager I spoke with on the phone which was strange.

I was told by the Recruiter she would sync up with the interviewers at the end of the week. I didn't hear back after two weeks.

I called the Recruiter and left a voicemail. I didn't hear back for several days. I emailed the Recruiter to follow up again. A day later the recruiter called and said she just spoke with the interviewers that day and feedback was positive but moving forward with others.

I had a terrible recruiting experience every step of the way. There were errors and mistakes at every stage. I felt like the Recruiter could care less about my experience or her job.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

Fairly straight forward and clear. Interviewers are ok. Cleared the video but failed on on site.
    Execution is analytical. Product sense can be vague at times. Leadership was purely behavioral.

HR is very slow. I also they they don't care to inform if you failed. I understand they have a ton of people and can't respond but atleast to onsite people, after promising to send a feedback within 3 hours. Horrible HR. Cannot believe why FB can't fix this.

Interview Questions

• Execution - how do measure X ?   Answer Question
    • Product sense: how would you use FB to improve X ? This can be vague or on a topic completely unknown to you.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

4 hour onsite interview after doing two, 45 minute phone interviews. None of the questions were incredibly hard, and were able to be solved within 30-45 minutes if you are well brushed up on your data structures and common algorithms.

Interview Questions

• Unable to disclose due to signing NDA   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Application

Interview

Very lengthy process (~3 months) but the recruiter was always available and engaged. I had a very positive experience. First was a phone screen (very easy and fast) - mostly background on the role, the company and then providing info about myself) with the recruiter, then a video chat interview with a current data scientist (introductions and background on his experience with the company, a few product questions, a SQL - my language of choice - question, a few more product questions). The recruiter called me the next morning to inform me I would be coming on campus and to give some feedback from the video interview. The recruiter sent tons of information to help prepare for the on campus interview (meet n greet with recruiter, 5 interviews with data scientists and a lunch with a data scientist). The recruiters were really nice and knowledgeable. I had a few that were shadowed by more experienced interviewers that seemed nervous/inexperienced with interviewing but the whole process was pretty great. The on campus interview questions were straight forward and slightly difficult.

Interview Questions

• Product/SQL/statistics questions   1 Answer

Data Engineer Interview

Application

Interview

The first rounds was a phone interview (~ 1 hour) and it involved questions on SQL and Python. Questions are similar to the ones asked on other reviews here. Just focus on solving it - they are pretty easy and usually require just a simple join or group-by.

The next round was on-site. The process will be described by your recruiter and it is exactly the way they explain it to you. They will also give plenty of materials to study and those are usually enough. For the on-site, I would suggest focus on your SQL and get all the parts done. I had a bad experience here with one of the interviewers being really rude. Hopefully, you are lucky enough to not have someone like that.

Overall, think of the on-site has a data design question (similar to how you are asked system design questions). Think about scale and daily vs batch solutions

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Applied online, recruiter contacted, video with codepad interview. Brief intro, scenario set up, answer question on codepad, communicate about thought process, interviewer gave feedback, continue to another coding question, and an analytics question.