Facebook Network Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Network Engineer

Facebook Network Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Facebook

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

I was referred by a friend. We started with a 1:1 interview onsite because I am in the area. It was okay, and I probably blew the coding interview.

Nonetheless they went on to schedule the site interview with 5 interviews. One weird thing is that they did not give me an agenda in advance. During the day, I have one discussion-type interview, two coding interviews and two system discussion interviews. Even during the system interviews, I was asked coding questions---probably because I am weak on that front.

Overall, I get the impression that there are a fair amount of CS trained people interviewing me, expecting standard answers from the questions asked. There is very little emphasis on the ability to think and evaluate the situation independently. This is not atypical for a system catered for hiring masses of programmers to be fair to Facebook.

Nonetheless, it is weird that I chatted with database people, people working on caches, etc., but never a networking person during the interview. I swear I told the HR that I am interested in a networking role. So, basically you don't meet your colleagues beforehand.

Something to note about Facebook is that their NDA is quite one-sided. There was a clause about *owning your idea* that you talk about during the interview, which is unusual. I striked out the clause before signing the NDA.

Interview Questions

• A database question which I have no idea what the interviewer was asking for. The interview asked how I would store posts and queries in a system.

It did not help me that the interview was reading my resume during the interview too. I might have bored him that much---making him wonder why this guy is even here for a second round.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Network Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Great HR folks. Very co-operative and helpful.
    I had 2 technical phone screens with engineers and 2 phone calls with recruiters. All were very nice and smooth.
    They asked me to fly to their HQ in CA, I had 5 on site interviews and a lunch with the hiring manager.
    Out of 6 folks, 4 of them were very friendly and professional.
    1 of them was quite rude and the way I got that engineer's response to my questions and their body language assured me that I am not getting this job.
    The 6th person was from a different team and was a bit arrogant about the knowledge they acquired over the years and why they know a lot and I don't! that was my another sign of NOT getting this job.
    I was told by the recruiter right before I left FB's campus that the feedback is not positive.
    The travelling and reimbursement process is a bit tedious.

Interview Questions

• Nothing extremely difficult. Just be prepared, don't follow the job description only, there will be a lot more than that.   1 Answer

Network Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in June 2015.

Interview

Passed through 3 phone interviews full of questions to test knowledge and understanding of networking and system performance. After last interview there was no response from Facebook recruiter. She wouldn't reply to e-mails nor return voicemails. Expect that if you spend that much time that there would at least be a 'thank you for your time but we are no longer considering you for the position we will keep your resume on file for future opportunities"

Interview Questions

• How would you improve SNMP for monitoring a network device?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Facebook (San Jose, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

The entire process happened very quickly. I had applied online in January. I got a call from the recruiter midweek of March stating that she wanted to set up an interview. The coding interview was set up immediately after two days. It was a 45 minute coding interview. They basically targeted datastructures and algorithms.

Interview Questions

• Given that: '1' mapped to--> 'a', '2' -->'b' , '3'--> 'c'...like wise... '26'-->'z'.

Output should be in the following pattern :
      Ex.1) if we input f="111", the output should be: aaa, ak, ka
      //(111)->aaa, (1, 11)->ak, (11,1)->ka

Ex. 2) f="131" output: aca, ma
      //(131)->aca, (13,1)->ma

Ex. 3) f="101", output: ja
      //(10,1)->ja   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

1 hour remote phone hour interview. Highly technical, no personality or cultural questions. All they care about is technical capability, as you start contract, they don't care about personality. I was applying for a corporate network position, and only interviewed with one Infrastructure Manager who asked me a barrage of questions related to core networking concepts and application networking. It was a pretty in depth technical interview. The biggest red flag I should have realized is the manager described the environment at Facebook as sink or swim.. Which meant every man for themselves. There's no teamwork atmosphere at Facebook. I got the job and regret I did.

Interview Questions

• How do you view current connections on an f5 load balancer?   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

The interview process was good, I had five interviews calls, background checking and technical skills with good questions and scenarios. But after that I just got an email about end of process without any offer.

Interview Questions

• What your knowledge about Segment Routing and what are the problems that it will solve   Answer Question

Network Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in November 2015.

Interview

I applied on company career website. Got a call from facebook in 3 weeks. Had 2 interviews round. Interview co-ordinator was really helpfull explained in detail about interview. First interview was basic networking questions. Second was scenario based. Unfortunately I didn't got offer. But overall experience was really nice.

Interview Questions

• Basic networking questions about routing protocols, DHCP, DNS.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

2 phone interview and followed by an onsite interview. I did not like the attitude of hiring manager but I enjoyed talking to other technical/non technical mems. No place is best place to work unless you connect with your boss and team mems. I have interviewed at many tech companies like google, microsoft and amazon but I never felt wasted my time applying the jobs or time spent during the interview preparation. This is 1st i felt like that I decided to never apply again in this life time

Interview Questions

• Basic Networking and scripting ...It was not challenging but some of the questions were irrelevant to Job role or my expertise   6 Answers

Manager attitude and I could see that already he micro-manages the team

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

I got an email from a recruiter from Facebook if I was interested in the interview process. I didn't qualify for the on-site interview, but I did clear first screening and one phone interview on networking.
    I struggled during the scripting interview as I had never done the scripting before on share screen. I would advise practicing that before the interview.

Interview Questions

• · BGP/TCP/IP protocols/route reflectors
      · Network hardware and software – switches, chips, etc.
      · Network infrastructure
      · Troubleshooting
      · Linux / automation, Scripting(Regex will be helpful)   6 Answers

Network Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

I don't use their products. I don't like how their products compromise our privacy and encourage echo chambers that have divided our country. However, I am curious and admire their next-generation networking technologies, so I decided to take the recruiter up on the offer.

The first phone screen went well. The engineer was professional, amiable, and his enjoyment of the job and Facebook was clear. I did my best to answer his questions and was granted a second interview.

The second interview did not go well. The interviewer was late, seemed annoyed that he had to interview me, was annoyed with me, was difficult to understand with the poor audio, and then he called time 15-20 minutes before it was supposed to end. I flunked. Oh, well.

Interview Questions

• Q. The usual networking trivia (TCP/IP, BGP, IPv6, troubleshooting). Scripting questions as well.   3 Answers