Facebook Interview Questions in Palo Alto, CA | Glassdoor

Updated May 25, 2017

3.2

Recruiting Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

Call with a recruiter, video call with a member of the team, onsite with a few members. Was told decisions would be made in 2-3 days. I emailed after that and then a second email a couple days after. The recruiter emailed a week later with a generic email saying they moved forward with others. Would have been nice to receive some kind of message acknowledging my emails, even if you didn't have updates at the time.

Interview Questions

• Scenario questions: How do you prioritize when you have a candidate onsite, last minute cancellation, received request for interview loop.....   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

I had one coding phone interview, I was invited for an on-site interview at Palo Alto. The process was quite fast. On site interview was 4 sessions: 2 coding, 1 system design, 1 behavioral and research experience (in happened in this order with a lunch break in the middle).

Onsite interviews happened in a tiny 2 square meter room. The room temperature was unadjustable, and it got too hot and stuffy inside. It was almost like a torture room.

On my 1st coding interview, while I was writing code on the board, the interviewer sat at the table and played with his phone most of the interview. I was thinking out load and explaining what am I doing but he was not listening to me at all. When I asked a question he responded "Huh?". He was rude and did not have any manners.

2nd coding interviewer was much nicer, stood up with me the whole time while I was coding on the board and followed what I was doing and helped me along. This is how it should be...

3rd interviewer came to the interview 5-10 minutes late in a hurry, and was too arrogant. Close to end of the system design interview, he asked me question, I answered but he did not seem to be satisfied with my answer. Then he said "You could do X, but anyway we do not have time left.", X is a technical term with I did not think about.

2 interviewers were East Asians, 1 of them was South Asian and 1 of them was an Asian-American.
    It felt like I am in Asia.

Also, definitely do not dress up for this interview, jeans is more than enough. One of my interviewer was wearing lousy sweatpants and a t-shirt.

Interview Questions

• 1. You have a string consisting of open and closed parentheses, but parentheses may be imbalanced.
      Make the parentheses balanced and return the new string.

2. You have a string of numbers, i.e. 123. You can insert a + or - sign in front of ever number, or you can leave it empty. Find all of the different possibilities, make the calculation and return the sum.
      For example;
      +1+2+3 = 6
      +12+3 = 15
      +123 = 123
      +1+23 = 24
      ...
      -1-2-3 = 6
      ...
      Return the sum of all the results.

3. How do you design google search auto complete?

4. Classic behavioral questions
      2 Answers

IOS Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

I contacted a fb recuitor and was selected for 2 skype interviews. The first one is a iOS concept related multiple-choices interviews. The second one is a technical interview with an iOS engineer.

In the second interview, i was asked with 2 questions about iOS concept and 2 questions about algorithm.

Interview Questions

• 1.What is the life cycle of UIViewController?   1 Answer
    • 2. What happens when you send a message to an objeect that doesn't implement the method?   Answer Question
    • 3. (similar but not eactly to the "Letter Combinations of a Phone Number" on leetcode)

// +-----+-----+-----+

// 2 -> "A"
      // 22 -> "B"
      // 222 -> "C"
      // 2233 -> "BE"
      // Write a function that given a string of numbers as input returns all possible string translations
      Answer Question
    • You have a simple tree structure Ⓐ and its clone ⓐ. Given an original tree's node Ⓑ, find and return the cloned tree's node ⓑ that is the clone of node Ⓑ.

Each node in the tree has a pointer to it's parent as well as an array of it's children.

Original Clone
           ┏┻┓ ┃ ┏┻┓ ┃
           ◯ Ⓑ ◯ ◯ ⓑ ◯
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Went for an in-person tech screen. Was a 45-minute session with an engineer in a meeting room with a whiteboard. I was given a pretty tough question, and didn't do a stellar job at answering, but I also didn't have any professional experience with C++, which he said was their primary language, so I guess it's understandable that they passed on me.

Interview Questions

• Given a list of denominations (e.g., [ 1, 2, 5 ] means you have coins worth $1, $2, and $5) and a number k, find all possible combinations, if any, of coins in the given denominations that add up to k, including repeats.   4 Answers

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

First was a telephonic interview
    Second was an onsite four one:one interviews
    The recruiters were amazing.
    The accommodation was fantastic and so is the campus
    Overall had a good experience
    Experience the process
    Interviewers were resourceful, great work environment.

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

The interview process was unbelievably long and redundant. Over 3 months, in total, I think I had 4 phone screens, ~10 on-site interviews (across 2 separate days). Many were fairly redundant and covered the exact same areas. It came across as formulaic and bureaucratic. The recruiters I talked to, while fairly responsive, constantly over-promised how quickly we could advance to the next step of the process. I ended up taking another offer before hearing the final decision.

Interview Questions

• Several interviews about SQL, product, business, stats   Answer Question

Technical Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

My resume was submitted through a referral. So got a first call for basic screening and then she said the recruiter will call you. She seemed to be very new to industry and very immature. She asked me 3-4 questions. She said after that I am not suitable for the job. I have received at least 5-6 inmails after that from different recruiters from facebook that my profile looks perfect for the position and if I have time to speak to them.

Interview Questions

• How many years you have done technical recruiting?
      Where do you find candidates?
      What do you think you will have challenges if we hire you? or what are the reasons you will not get hired?
      2 Answers

Data Scientist - Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

The first step was a recruiter phone interview. We went over my skills and background (mostly based on the info I provided on my resume). The recruiter also gave me detailed info about the position, the job location and generally about the company.

The second step was a video interview with the hiring manager. This interview involved SQL, Python, Product Analytics and basic Machine Learning. This stage went really well.

The final stage was the on-site interview. There were 5 interviews in total. 2 of them involved Product Analytics. 2 of them involved coding and data manipulation and one was purely statistics and probability.

It was a great interview overall but I got an offer somewhere else that I really wanted and had been waiting for and had to discontinue the interview process.

Interview Questions

• There are two mobile restroom stalls at a construction site where I work.
      There are also three situations that have an equal chance of occurrence:
      a. none of them is occupied
      b. only one of them is occupied
      c. both are occupied

1. If I were to pick one at random, what is the probability that it is occupied?
      2. If it turns out that that first one I go to is occupied and I decide to try the other one, what is the probability that the second one is also occupied?
      11 Answers

Product Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

I was recruited through LinkedIn. There was a bit of disjointedness as I was handed off to various recruiters and personnel throughout the process.
    There was an initial phone screening, then a video interview with 2 product designers, and then finally an on-site where I gave a presentation to several product designers, then had a whiteboarding session, followed by 2 1-on-1 interviews and then lunch with a designer.
    They were eager to set up each phase of the interview process but very slow to follow up. After my video interview it was 3 weeks before I heard that they wanted to move forward. Most frustratingly, after my on-site interview they never got in touch at all. So I assume they were not interested, but did not have the courtesy to even tell me so.

Interview Questions

• They are fond of picking an app and "reviewing" it together.   Answer Question

Facebook Response

Aug 17, 2016 – Your Friends at Facebook

We're sorry to hear about your experience and the lack of follow-up from your recruiter. Every candidate moment matters to us and we'll leverage this feedback to improve our experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

Had a phone call from recruiter, from my linked in profile. Recruiters were polite. Had a 1st round onsite interview, then got invited for the 2nd round.

The questions will be of easy to average difficulty if some time is spent in brushing up the basic algorithms (from arrays to graphs). There in lies the problem, i,e. questions are not challenging. I answered all questions, with efficient solutions. There was no indication what so ever from the interviewer if there was anything wrong in my solutions. However, I'm guessing that since I couldn't finish in time to run through couple of examples, I got rejected. They don't give any grace period, if there's no time left, they end it abruptly. I guess they want to be fair to everyone. There was absolutely no feedback from any of the interviewers during the process, so it's hard understand what are they looking for, if anything is going wrong. This is true for the system-design as well.

In my case looks like the decision was already made before lunch, the last round interviewers seemed completely un-interested. One of them was on the laptop typing continuously while I was presenting my solution.

I'm sure they are able to find people who are able to code the solution in time. In my opinion, for most, this is only possible if you have already coded same or similar problem. There are tons of websites that lists the questions. Just spend enough time to practice them in coding.

The interviews are less about problem solving ability, it's more about finishing the code in time. This process has worked from them and they will continue to follow it. Keep practicing writing the code, if you are lucky you'll get one of the questions that you are already familiar with.

There was no feedback from the recruiter except I didn't get through.

Interview Questions

• The recruiter will send a link to websites that is meant to help you in preparation. If you spend enough time practicing those questions you can get through. Spend enough time writing code. The questions are not hard.   2 Answers