Facebook Product Designer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Facebook Product Designer Interview Questions

Updated Apr 10, 2017

3.4

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

1. Short email questionnaire from the recruiter to make sure I was a good fit for the role
2. Phone screen with the recruiter which included a short portfolio review
3. Two back to back 40 minute phone interviews. The first was a portfolio review and the second was an app critique.
4. Invited onsite one week later. Onsite consisted of a 30 minute portfolio presentation to about 6 designers. Lunch with a designer as a chance to ask questions about Facebook and the org I was interviewing for. After lunch I had three 1 on 1 interviews. The first was another app critique, then a background/job fit interview, and then a design challenge.

I had a competing offer and was able to accelerate the decision process. 3 days later I was contacted by my recruiter with an offer. Overall the experience was seamless, transparent, and enjoyable. I credit most of that to my recruiter.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

I got through the phone screen and suggested the dates for onsite interviews. The recruiter told me I will hear them back in few days. I ended up hearing back from them after two weeks. Four days before interview. There is no call or chat before the onsite interview which is little bit strange. Recruiters would normally walk you through the process and prepare you little bit before onsite. But no, not this time!
    The onsite experience feels like total mismatch. I got talked to one user experience researcher. I did one exercise with her. We talked about design goals, process, walked through design flow. She was awesome. After lunch, I met two managers in the afternoon. One manager made me feels like he didn't want to be there since the group presentation in the morning. One manager asked me about all the questions related to interaction, as if design thinking means how good you are at remembering the interaction patterns. Look, don't get me wrong here. UX designer requires many skill sets and interaction is part of it. But interaction can't be all. There is no discussion about experience, the user needs. The only thing he cares about is interaction.
    After all, my thoughts about Facebook is their current product design is about hiring people who can utilize the pattern library and get on production quick.
    If your goal is to become a thoughtful experience designer or design for innovation, Facebook is not right place for you.

Interview Questions

• Show me more interaction designs.   1 Answer

Product Designer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in March 2017.

Interview

The whole process took over 4+ weeks. Recruiter reached out and then set up the first phone screen with the recruiter to go over some very basic questions. Then the waiting game started. It took 2+weeks to have the initial phone screens - 1 with designer for reviewing your work, and 1 with designer to have app critique. The talk was pleasant and from the feedback I received, both of my interviewers have enjoyed the talk with me. However, I am rejected for the in-person interview. Why? I think it's because I have too much experience.

For ux/ui designers, if you are a new grad or have very minimum experience, then yes, FB is for you. why? Let me tell you more..

I have quite a few connections in FB design departments and from the informal study I conducted, it appears to me that they want young, very young designers who either newly graduated from grad school or have very limited experiences (freelance or any unknown workplace experience). Even though FB claims to flat the org by not giving any title on the position, which could give you an impression that as long as you are the talent, they will hire you. But the ugly truth is that they do have certain level needs hiding behind the hiring. They want their designers to be "shape-able" and "control-able" and they want you to be there and do one small design project, such as a nav bar or a comment box and of course.

So if you are experienced, coming from a solid leading designer background and have been doing lots of hands-on work and giving directions, turn around and do not expect FB would take you. They have design managers who will do so, and then they only want junior designers. So if you are not a design manager, but want to be one, sorry, this is not the place for you.

Now you see, FB Design is quite interesting and this place is really just hiring new-bees. So my 2 cents would be save your time/energy, and stay in your current position with your current company for another couple of years. And when you ship lots of solid products, go to Apple where experienced people and only experienced people are appreciated.

Interview Questions

• what do you think of designing for iOS and Android? Should the design be different due to the platform differences?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

My interview experience was great. Each person I interacted with was kind, intelligent and thoughtful in their approach. Be yourself, show your strengths, and showcase your product thinking. The process was pretty similar to the other major tech companies. You start with a recruiter phone screening, then a video conference with two Product designers. You go through your portfolio with one, and do an app critique with the other. The in-person consisted of a presentation with a series of follow-up interviews that help them understand your product thinking, collaboration skills, and design background.

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

First Round: Chat with a recruiter a little bit. Very simple.

Second Round: They have you chat with two designers via video conference for 45mins, back to back. One designer will walk through your portfolio with you, another will critique an app with you. I'd suggest you keep your portfolio presentation to 30 mins bc they'll interrupt with questions.

Third Round: Follow up with a recruiter where she tells you what they liked and didn't like. They feed you a ton of info and critiques! Don't get overwhelmed by it.

Fourth Round: On-site. 25-minute portfolio review and then a bunch of one-on-ones. Try to be unique in your portfolio presentation. They watch a lot of these so be a little creative. More importantly, make sure the story makes sense. If your story comes off jagged then people will lose interest.

Product Design Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

First round is a 30 minute phone screening with a design recruiter, and then two back to back 45 min interviews (portfolio review, app critique) with product designers and a product design manager on video conference.

Interview Questions

• How did you achieve this goal with your design decision?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

The process involved a recruiter call, followed by two on-site 45 min interviews (portfolio and product critique,) because I live in the area. The next step was a longer set of on-site interviews that included a 30 minute presentation of my latest work, a discussion about my background and personality, a product critique (Yelp) and problem solving exercise. A week later, I received an offer by phone.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA) in July 2016.

Interview

Heard about a position through someone who works at the company, recruiter contacted me the following week and was very helpful telling me about the opportunities on the various teams that are hiring. The recruiter then handed me off to another recruiter who handled the phone interviews.

This is where the interview process went south fast. It took the recruiter 3 weeks to get this setup and throughout the process did not update me on what was going on. I had to email the recruiter several times about an update after each week of radio silence.

Phone interviews went great, had video conference calls with 2 separate designers: one focused on app critique and the other on portfolio review. Had a positive experience with both of them, luckily the interview where back to back.

Once the interviews were over I did not hear back from the recruiter even though I followed up and asked about what to expect for the next steps. I had to wait another 3 weeks before I heard from the recruiter and said they wanted to continue onto the onsite interview. She then handed me off to the onsite recruiter.

The onsite recruiter was also problematic. After responding to their email right away each time, it took an entire week to nail down a date to chat about the onsite process. I waited for their call and they never called, I even followed up with them right away and didn't get a response until that night with an excuse of "my phone died" and they didn't even bother to apologize. After several back and forth, I got the onsite interview setup.

The onsite interview was by far the best experience. They arranged for an Uber to pick me up from and take me home. The onsite was a portfolio review, an group app critique, lunch interview, whiteboard exercise ("rethink the ATM") and a background interview with a hiring manager. The hiring manager asked if we could spend more time talking after I time was up and they gave me a tour of the building and talked up the benefits of working at Facebook. I left feeling positive and the hiring manager even gave me pointers when looking for a team within Facebook.

I followed up with the recruiter the same day and didn't hear back until over a week later. They ended up saying "No Hire" but wanted to keep my profile on file (unsure why).

Overall, my experience was terrible given that it took 3 months to do the entire process and the recruiters were the worst part. The actual teams were great and seemed like great people I'd want to work with. Hopefully they can sort out their recruiters.

Interview Questions

Facebook Response

Oct 2, 2016 – Your Friends at Facebook

We're sorry to hear about the delays in follow-up from your recruiter. Every candidate moment matters to us and we'll leverage this feedback to improve our experience.

Product Designer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook in June 2016.

Interview

I had a weird sort of non-experience with a Facebook recruiter:

- Recruiter emailed mentioning that I'd not replied to earlier message from a colleague (I searched my inbox but didn't find any earlier messages)
    - Agreed to an initial call to hear about what they're working on
    - 5 mins past our scheduled call time received an email from the recruiter saying something urgent had come up, but recruiter would have a manager look over my work (I'd not shared any work) and decide how to proceed
    - Next day received an email thanking me for taking the time to speak (I'd not spoken with anyone), but that they'd decided to move ahead with another candidate

I looked up the recruiter on LinkedIn, and they've only been at Facebook for a few months so I'm guessing that this isn't the typical experience!

Jul 7, 2016 – Your Friends at Facebook

Thank you for recently interviewing with our team. We're sorry to hear about the strange experience with one of our recruiters, and are disappointed that you did not receive the best possible ... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

I was recruited through LinkedIn. There was a bit of disjointedness as I was handed off to various recruiters and personnel throughout the process.
    There was an initial phone screening, then a video interview with 2 product designers, and then finally an on-site where I gave a presentation to several product designers, then had a whiteboarding session, followed by 2 1-on-1 interviews and then lunch with a designer.
    They were eager to set up each phase of the interview process but very slow to follow up. After my video interview it was 3 weeks before I heard that they wanted to move forward. Most frustratingly, after my on-site interview they never got in touch at all. So I assume they were not interested, but did not have the courtesy to even tell me so.

Interview Questions

• They are fond of picking an app and "reviewing" it together.   Answer Question

Aug 17, 2016 – Your Friends at Facebook

We're sorry to hear about your experience and the lack of follow-up from your recruiter. Every candidate moment matters to us and we'll leverage this feedback to improve our experience.