Facebook Product Designer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 19, 2018

3.2

64 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in March 2018.

Interview

Contacted by recruiter, who was extremely helpful and open. Recruiter did a phone screen and coordinated additional phone screens with other designers. Those consisted of an app critique and review of one project. Nothing difficult. Then came the onsite, which is where things really fell apart. Interviewers expressed little interest in this. Proceeds to a few one-on-one conversations, starting with a background discussion. Interviewer was borderline hostile, and just asked a few questions about my resume; it felt really amateur. It set the tone for the rest of the conversations, which felt like pulling teeth in terms of how stunted and and low-energy they were. I came into this process with a lot of excitement, and left wondering why I wasted my time with this company.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in February 2018.

Interview

First a 30 minute phone interview with the recruiter and then a 45 minute back to back video interview with the designers. And then an on-site interview at Menlo Park.

Interview Questions

• For the first 45 minute interview, it was about my pas work. They asked me to go through 2-3 of my projects. Questions about my design decisions.
      The second 45 minutes was an App review. They let me choose which app I used the most and I chose Yelp. It was a free discussion between two designers not too much pressure.   Answer Question

Product Design Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Facebook in March 2018.

Interview

During the initial 20 minute phone screen, she asked me to talk about myself, talk about the experience on my resume, go through two projects that I did, and if I had any questions. She did not ask my why I wanted to work at Facebook.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to go through TWO projects, not just my favorite one.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in February 2018.

Interview

Everything was extremely well coordinated! It started with a phone screen with a member of the design recruiting team, then 2 video calls (back to back), and finally an onsite.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in December 2017.

Interview

Started off with a recruiter email interested in my Product Design portfolio, had a 30min on call interview where the recruiter realized that I am a recent graduate and mentioned that she will connect me with a recent grad recruiter. A week later she connected me with a recent university grad recruiter, which was followed by an email questionnaire, a phone interview and 2 video conference interviews (portfolio review and app critique). Few days later I received an email confirming my onsite interview at Menlo Park. I setup the time and date and it was well coordinated by the recruitment team.

I flew from Vancouver to SF for my interview, which was all managed by the Facebook team. At this point I was being interviewed for the Ads team -- Had a 30min presentation with 6 designers, followed by a problem solving, app critique and background interview. I thoroughly enjoyed the interview process and the challenging questions which were put forward during my 1-on-1 interviews. I really liked the recruitment team and the overall product design interview experience.

It's been 3 days since my on-site interview at Menlo Park. Now I'm waiting to hear back on the next steps and final decisions. Overall, I have to say it was one of the best interview experiences I had so far.

Interview Questions

• How would you make an app that helps you decide which gift to buy?
      What does airbnb do? Why do you think they decided to change the search bar?   Answer Question

Product Designer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Facebook in November 2017.

Interview

This was by far the worst interview process I've ever gone through. I got referred by a friend so I got an email a few days later from the referral team saying that a recruiter would reach out to me within a week. It took a couple weeks and a couple emails checking in with the referral team to finally get some sort of email from the recruiter. She wanted to set up a time to talk on the phone and completely flaked on me after I replied. Weeks went by with no response to my emails which I know she looked at immediately after sending because I tracked them. Bananatag tells me when it was opened, their ip address, and their device. I reached out to the referral team again to see whats up then suddenly she was able to set up a phone interview with me. Day of the phone interview comes, she flakes with no warning or anything. At this point, I was tired of her stupid games but my friend reached out to her personally because it was also putting her in a weird position. The recruiter then left me a flippant voicemail giving conflicting excuses saying she put the wrong day in her calender but she also had a lot on her plate and some other obvious lies. The next week I was able to get on the phone with her after 2 months of playing stupid games and the whole time she was going out of her way to be condescending. I still havent gotten any sort of followup email after almost 2 months. Really? This is how you treat potential employees? Gee, I wonder why you still can't hire any Latinos.

Product Designer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in October 2017.

Interview

I got the interview by internal reference. It started with a questionnaire about your previous experience, potential starting date and other basic questions.

Then I talked the recruiter on phone. In this phone interview, he asked about my internship projects, then tried to find an initial match team based on my experience. I was thrown to Ads team, which I was not that excited about.

After this is a scheduling back to back phone screen interviews with current designers, one for portfolio reviews (at least 2 projects in 45 min) and one for APP critiques (you'll get a chance to select which one you'd like to talk about).

2 days later, I got an email saying they don't want to move on.

Interview Questions

• Why did the APP do this? What's the business goal of this feature?   Answer Question

Product Design Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook in September 2017.

Interview

Phone Screen interview for 30 minutes. Talked about past experience, specific project on my portfolio. Recruiter talked about culture at Facebook and about specific teams. I wish the recruiter let me know why I got rejected rather than sending an automated email.

Product Designer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

1. Recruiter Phone call: Introduction, timeframes available, offers on the table, experience & past projects, why Facebook, what team you want to be a part of

2. Talk with designers - Two 45 minute interviews back to back
    First : Past work - 2-3 of your projects - problem your solving, role, solutions, tools used, visual and interaction, feedback, why you made design decisions
    Second: App critique for Venmo - Deconstructing the app - strengths and weaknesses, redesign, user friendly, how do you find solutions to problem that you’re seeing.

3. On site Interview - in progress

Interview Questions

• Why did you make ______ design decision?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

FB University Recruiter contacted me to learn more about my background and interest in design opportunities. I had 2 phone interviews with designers after that, which dealt with past work and app critique.
    Following that I had an invitation to go on-site for interviewing. The rounds started off with me giving a presentation of my work in front of a room of designers, followed by lunch with a designer. Thereafter there was another app-critique session, followed by detailed background and Q&A with a design manger, followed by a design exercise aimed at problem solving with another designer. This wrapped up my on-site interviews.
    After a few days, I heard back from the recruiter saying that they would like to have another phone interview with a senior designer to learn about my "background" - this had me puzzled since I have already been through so many rounds and a background info interview wasn't seeming normal to me. Anyways, I went ahead with it and had the call, things went well and so on. Next day I receive a rejection from FB. No call, no clarification, pretty standard "thanks for taking the time, we won't be moving forward" email followed by a survey.
    The interview overall went well and I had a good experience preparing for it as well as handling rounds that are sort of unique to FB. There is a lot of online material to help prepare for FB's designer roles interviews.