Facebook Product Designer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 2, 2018

3.3

59 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in December 2017.

Interview

Started off with a recruiter email interested in my Product Design portfolio, had a 30min on call interview where the recruiter realized that I am a recent graduate and mentioned that she will connect me with a recent grad recruiter. A week later she connected me with a recent university grad recruiter, which was followed by an email questionnaire, a phone interview and 2 video conference interviews (portfolio review and app critique). Few days later I received an email confirming my onsite interview at Menlo Park. I setup the time and date and it was well coordinated by the recruitment team.

I flew from Vancouver to SF for my interview, which was all managed by the Facebook team. At this point I was being interviewed for the Ads team -- Had a 30min presentation with 6 designers, followed by a problem solving, app critique and background interview. I thoroughly enjoyed the interview process and the challenging questions which were put forward during my 1-on-1 interviews. I really liked the recruitment team and the overall product design interview experience.

It's been 3 days since my on-site interview at Menlo Park. Now I'm waiting to hear back on the next steps and final decisions. Overall, I have to say it was one of the best interview experiences I had so far.

Interview Questions

• How would you make an app that helps you decide which gift to buy?
    What does airbnb do? Why do you think they decided to change the search bar?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Product Designer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Facebook in November 2017.

Interview

This was by far the worst interview process I've ever gone through. I got referred by a friend so I got an email a few days later from the referral team saying that a recruiter would reach out to me within a week. It took a couple weeks and a couple emails checking in with the referral team to finally get some sort of email from the recruiter. She wanted to set up a time to talk on the phone and completely flaked on me after I replied. Weeks went by with no response to my emails which I know she looked at immediately after sending because I tracked them. Bananatag tells me when it was opened, their ip address, and their device. I reached out to the referral team again to see whats up then suddenly she was able to set up a phone interview with me. Day of the phone interview comes, she flakes with no warning or anything. At this point, I was tired of her stupid games but my friend reached out to her personally because it was also putting her in a weird position. The recruiter then left me a flippant voicemail giving conflicting excuses saying she put the wrong day in her calender but she also had a lot on her plate and some other obvious lies. The next week I was able to get on the phone with her after 2 months of playing stupid games and the whole time she was going out of her way to be condescending. I still havent gotten any sort of followup email after almost 2 months. Really? This is how you treat potential employees? Gee, I wonder why you still can't hire any Latinos.

Product Designer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in October 2017.

Interview

I got the interview by internal reference. It started with a questionnaire about your previous experience, potential starting date and other basic questions.

Then I talked the recruiter on phone. In this phone interview, he asked about my internship projects, then tried to find an initial match team based on my experience. I was thrown to Ads team, which I was not that excited about.

After this is a scheduling back to back phone screen interviews with current designers, one for portfolio reviews (at least 2 projects in 45 min) and one for APP critiques (you'll get a chance to select which one you'd like to talk about).

2 days later, I got an email saying they don't want to move on.

Interview Questions

• Why did the APP do this? What's the business goal of this feature?   Answer Question

Product Design Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook in September 2017.

Interview

Phone Screen interview for 30 minutes. Talked about past experience, specific project on my portfolio. Recruiter talked about culture at Facebook and about specific teams. I wish the recruiter let me know why I got rejected rather than sending an automated email.

Product Designer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

1. Recruiter Phone call: Introduction, timeframes available, offers on the table, experience & past projects, why Facebook, what team you want to be a part of

2. Talk with designers - Two 45 minute interviews back to back
    First : Past work - 2-3 of your projects - problem your solving, role, solutions, tools used, visual and interaction, feedback, why you made design decisions
    Second: App critique for Venmo - Deconstructing the app - strengths and weaknesses, redesign, user friendly, how do you find solutions to problem that you’re seeing.

3. On site Interview - in progress

Interview Questions

• Why did you make ______ design decision?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

FB University Recruiter contacted me to learn more about my background and interest in design opportunities. I had 2 phone interviews with designers after that, which dealt with past work and app critique.
    Following that I had an invitation to go on-site for interviewing. The rounds started off with me giving a presentation of my work in front of a room of designers, followed by lunch with a designer. Thereafter there was another app-critique session, followed by detailed background and Q&A with a design manger, followed by a design exercise aimed at problem solving with another designer. This wrapped up my on-site interviews.
    After a few days, I heard back from the recruiter saying that they would like to have another phone interview with a senior designer to learn about my "background" - this had me puzzled since I have already been through so many rounds and a background info interview wasn't seeming normal to me. Anyways, I went ahead with it and had the call, things went well and so on. Next day I receive a rejection from FB. No call, no clarification, pretty standard "thanks for taking the time, we won't be moving forward" email followed by a survey.
    The interview overall went well and I had a good experience preparing for it as well as handling rounds that are sort of unique to FB. There is a lot of online material to help prepare for FB's designer roles interviews.

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

1. Short email questionnaire from the recruiter to make sure I was a good fit for the role
    2. Phone screen with the recruiter which included a short portfolio review
    3. Two back to back 40 minute phone interviews. The first was a portfolio review and the second was an app critique.
    4. Invited onsite one week later. Onsite consisted of a 30 minute portfolio presentation to about 6 designers. Lunch with a designer as a chance to ask questions about Facebook and the org I was interviewing for. After lunch I had three 1 on 1 interviews. The first was another app critique, then a background/job fit interview, and then a design challenge.

I had a competing offer and was able to accelerate the decision process. 3 days later I was contacted by my recruiter with an offer. Overall the experience was seamless, transparent, and enjoyable. I credit most of that to my recruiter.

Interview Questions

• As a designer, what do you bring to the table?   1 Answer
    • Rethink the ATM   1 Answer

Product Designer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in March 2017.

Interview

The whole process took over 4+ weeks. Recruiter reached out and then set up the first phone screen with the recruiter to go over some very basic questions. Then the waiting game started. It took 2+weeks to have the initial phone screens - 1 with designer for reviewing your work, and 1 with designer to have app critique. The talk was pleasant and from the feedback I received, both of my interviewers have enjoyed the talk with me. However, I am rejected for the in-person interview. Why? I think it's because I have too much experience.

For ux/ui designers, if you are a new grad or have very minimum experience, then yes, FB is for you. why? Let me tell you more..

I have quite a few connections in FB design departments and from the informal study I conducted, it appears to me that they want young, very young designers who either newly graduated from grad school or have very limited experiences (freelance or any unknown workplace experience). Even though FB claims to flat the org by not giving any title on the position, which could give you an impression that as long as you are the talent, they will hire you. But the ugly truth is that they do have certain level needs hiding behind the hiring. They want their designers to be "shape-able" and "control-able" and they want you to be there and do one small design project, such as a nav bar or a comment box and of course.

So if you are experienced, coming from a solid leading designer background and have been doing lots of hands-on work and giving directions, turn around and do not expect FB would take you. They have design managers who will do so, and then they only want junior designers. So if you are not a design manager, but want to be one, sorry, this is not the place for you.

Now you see, FB Design is quite interesting and this place is really just hiring new-bees. So my 2 cents would be save your time/energy, and stay in your current position with your current company for another couple of years. And when you ship lots of solid products, go to Apple where experienced people and only experienced people are appreciated.

Interview Questions

• what do you think of designing for iOS and Android? Should the design be different due to the platform differences?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

I got through the phone screen and suggested the dates for onsite interviews. The recruiter told me I will hear them back in few days. I ended up hearing back from them after two weeks. Four days before interview. There is no call or chat before the onsite interview which is little bit strange. Recruiters would normally walk you through the process and prepare you little bit before onsite. But no, not this time!
    The onsite experience feels like total mismatch. I got talked to one user experience researcher. I did one exercise with her. We talked about design goals, process, walked through design flow. She was awesome. After lunch, I met two managers in the afternoon. One manager made me feels like he didn't want to be there since the group presentation in the morning. One manager asked me about all the questions related to interaction, as if design thinking means how good you are at remembering the interaction patterns. Look, don't get me wrong here. UX designer requires many skill sets and interaction is part of it. But interaction can't be all. There is no discussion about experience, the user needs. The only thing he cares about is interaction.
    After all, my thoughts about Facebook is their current product design is about hiring people who can utilize the pattern library and get on production quick.
    If your goal is to become a thoughtful experience designer or design for innovation, Facebook is not right place for you.

Interview Questions

• Show me more interaction designs.   1 Answer

Product Designer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook in March 2017.

Interview

Spoke to HR on a phone interview. Very positive and friendly and responsive. Follow-up back-to-back video conferences with the design team were schedule soon there after. Then never heard from HR again even after several emails checking in for some feedback or an even an update. Having some form of follow-up communication with candidates would be greatly appreciated.

Interview Questions

• Phone Screen, then video conference with a few FB designers on:
      1) Critique a mobile app