Facebook Product Designer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 17, 2018

3.2

74 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Product Design Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Facebook in February 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter and had an initial phone screen. I was told during the phone screen that I was to be moved into the second round. I had 3 weeks to prepare for two back to back phone interviews, one was a portfolio review and one was an app critique. The first interviewer was not friendly and not very responsive to my answers or questions. The second interviewer was great and I really enjoyed our conversation. The recruiter kept emailing me saying that they hoped to have an answer early the next week. Over a month went by before they got back to me with an answer.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Product Design Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in January 2015.

Interview

Recruiter found me at a Facebook-sponsored workshop at my university. We did a brief phone chat, followed by 3 phone interviews -- the first 2 were with product designers, and the last was with a product manager. Everyone was incredibly nice. They were a bit slow to get back to me during the scheduling process, but were very considerate and apologetic.

1.) The first interview we talked about my design work. It was pretty standard.

2.) The second interview was a live critique about an existing app (my interviewer chose Yelp).

3.) The last interview, with a design manager, was also about my previous design work, talking through some of the problems that I came up against and how I solved them.

All three were very friendly and the tone was conversational and laid back. It seemed like they normally only do 2 interviews (the first and second one), but at the last minute they asked if they could do a third one with me with a design manager. Perhaps the first two interviewers had difficulty deciding whether or not they wanted to hire me?

Interview Questions

• "Most difficult or unexpected question?" Not really applicable..   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

3 rounds: First round is a culture fit. The next two interviews assess your design thinking. You will do a live critque of a popular, non Facebook owned app. (I did Yelp). The final interview had me going very in depth about the strongest project in my portfolio. These last two interviews each lasted 45 minutes each (The last one went over a bit). Fantastic, friendly people. Ran out of spots for interns for the 2015 season, so my application is paused for the 2016 season.

Interview Questions

• Tell me the high level thinking behind your application   Answer Question

Product Design Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

I got phone interview 3 weeks after applying for the job position. The recruiter was friendly but she has lack of knowledge about the job position. It was general phone interview starting from introducing myself and work.

Product Design Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in March 2015.

Interview

Entire process took about 2.5 weeks. Recruiter reached out to me, screening interview for 20-30 minutes. Explained that I have other offer letters expiring soon, Facebook accelerated their the interview process. Following week I had two 45 minute interviews back to back, the first going over a portfolio piece of mine in-depth, and the other critiquing an existing app (Yelp). Overall this interview process was surprisingly fun, and it's clear to me that Facebook cares about it's employees.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about [project from your portfolio]. What was the goal, what were the challenges, what was your specific role, etc. (The intent is to get a better understanding of your design work/process, intentionality, and overall awareness.)   Answer Question

Product Design Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

A few phone interviews. First screening and resume review with a recruiter, who then schedules you to have two 1 hour interviews with designers on the team. One was a portfolio review with multiple members and one was a critique of an existing app with one member (if I remember correctly).

Product Design Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Facebook in March 2018.

Interview

During the initial 20 minute phone screen, she asked me to talk about myself, talk about the experience on my resume, go through two projects that I did, and if I had any questions. She did not ask my why I wanted to work at Facebook.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to go through TWO projects, not just my favorite one.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

First round is a 30 minute phone screening with a design recruiter, and then two back to back 45 min interviews (portfolio review, app critique) with product designers and a product design manager on video conference.

Interview Questions

• How did you achieve this goal with your design decision?   1 Answer

Product Design Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook in March 2016.

Interview

The process is a little messy, I got routed to the wrong recruiter for the wrong position, and as such was completely misaligned with the recruiter during the interview. It can be better arranged, and while the recruiter's are nice, you can somehow feel that they're just regurgitating words they usually say and it sounds forced.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Facebook?   1 Answer

Product Design Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook in September 2017.

Interview

Phone Screen interview for 30 minutes. Talked about past experience, specific project on my portfolio. Recruiter talked about culture at Facebook and about specific teams. I wish the recruiter let me know why I got rejected rather than sending an automated email.