Facebook Product Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Facebook Product Manager Interview Questions

Updated Apr 1, 2017

3.4

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted for a Product Manager position in either Seattle or Menlo Park by HR. After the phone screen, HR explained I could be hired on for an allocated role or go through the generalist process (where you would get to take a couple weeks after you get hired to learn about Facebook in bootcamp & choose a team). I chose the generalist process, and HR set up 2 45-minute video interviews (product sense & execution). After the video interviews, HR sent me an email to set up a phone call, which she then told me that they would not be moving forward and gave me feedback on what could have been improved.

Video interviews were fun and I enjoyed talking to the interviewers. Next time, would definitely focus on having a process of answering the design question.

Interview Questions

• HR Phone Screen:
    1. Tell me about yourself.
    2. Why Facebook?
    3. What is a project you've worked on recently?
    4. What's your favorite facebook feature?

Product Sense Video Interview
    1. Design a way for people to find apartments.

Product Execution Interview:
    2. How do you deal with trade-offs between opposing metrics, such as higher AoV but lower conversion rate?
    3. For Facebook Groups, how would you increase usage?
    4. For Facebook Marketplace, how would you go about setting the price of the products? What tradeoffs would you make in the options you described in terms of metrics?
    Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in March 2017.

Interview

As most others have noted, the interview process is a 30-minute phone screener with a recruiter, then two back-to-back 45-minute video interviews with lead product managers, one on Product Sense and another on Execution, and then onsite interviews. I did not make it past the video interviews.

For the phone screener, the recruiter is just looking to make sure you've done relevant product management-type work:
    - Tell me about yourself
    - Have you ever worked on a product/feature you worked on from idea to launch?
    - How did you measure success of that product/feature? (provide examples of metrics you looked at)

My Product Sense interview was with a product lead on Facebook Messenger. He quickly told me that he had already read through my resume and asked if there was anything else unique about me that wasn't on my resume. He then asked me about two of my favorite consumer products to try and suss out any commonalities across the two to determine what characteristics I value in a good product. We then moved onto the meat of the interview, the product sense hypothetical. He presented the following hypothetical: "Design a way for people with similar interests/hobbies to connect".

I had prepped a structure of walking through the problem, the user, potential solutions, etc, but I struggled with this particular use case. His feedback was that I jumped too quickly into the solution, and that I needed to back up and talk about "pain points" in a bit more depth. Then, he provided feedback that I was getting stuck on pain points and needed to move onto the solution, as we were running out of time. I had 5 minutes at the end to ask him questions.

My Execution interview was with a product lead on Instagram, working on safety/community. He briefly introduced himself and his role, and asked me to quickly do the same. He the presented the following hypothetical: "Tell me what metrics you would look at as a product manager for Instagram ads".

We went through multiple follow-ups, asking me to prioritize which of those metrics would be most important, what to consider about how that metric might not tell the whole story, what I would do if I saw a sharp decrease in that metric from one day to the next, how I would rally the team around addressing that problem vs moving on, etc. I had a lot of fun here and thought I did fairly well with this interview, as it more closely reflected what I do in my current role day to day.

My advice for the Product Sense and Execution video interviews:
    - Figure out how well you're balanced between these two skill sets.
    - If you're unbalanced, like I was, focus on the area where you are weaker
    - Identify a structure to use for either interview. For Product Sense, I would recommend: 1) Clarify the problem, 2) Understand/make assumptions about the user, 3) Identify pain points, 4) Brainstorm solutions, 5) Explain rationale/tradeoffs. For Execution, I would recommend: 1) Identify the proxy metric that most closely reflects the real-world change, 2) Identify related metrics, 3) Refine to reduce chance of "gaming" the metric, 4) Identify what questions you would ask if those metric(s) fell (external factors, internal to Facebook factors, internal to product/feature factors), 5) Explain how you would make tradeoffs to prioritize addressing the issue. There are various books and websites that can lead you through other ways of structuring your answers to these two types of questions. I'd highly recommend writing out a flow chart of your structure that you can refer to during the interview.
    - Practice hypotheticals out loud with a friend. It was extremely helpful to also refine any problems you might have with communicating your ideas. Take the flow chart you created above and refine it by practicing out loud with a friend. I found it helpful to create a sort of mix-and-match flashcards by printing out 6 starts to a question and combining them with ends of a question. I put all of the starts in one bowl and all the ends in another bowl, and had my friend pick from the two bowls at random. Examples:

Starts:
    1. Tell me your favorite thing about...
    2. Design/re-design...
    3. How would you measure success of...
    4. How would you fix a problem with...

Ends:
    1. ...a way for people to find apartments/meet people with similar interests/find something to do this weekend
    2. ...X feature of Facebook/Instagram (i.e. Birthdays, Messenger, Saved, Ads, News Feed, Trending, etc)
    3. ...your favorite product

Ultimately, this interview process does a really good job at sussing out the skills that you've already developed. Prep can take you the last 10%, but if you don't have a firm foundation, it will be fairly difficult to succeed (at least in my experience). Trust your strengths and shore up your weaknesses.

Interview Questions

• Design a way for people with similar interests/hobbies to connect.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about your favorite product.   Answer Question
    • Tell me what metrics you would look at as a product manager for Instagram ads.   1 Answer
    • What questions do you have for me?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

A few weeks after I applied, I had my first call with the recruiter - very simple, basic Q&A.

Three weeks later, I had a 30-minute phone interview with the hiring manager who arrived late to the interview. More high-level, talking about my background, how I approached roadmap prioritization, taking features from idea to lunch, what metrics did I monitor, and how did I know what actually impacted those metrics.

I heard back one week later that I would be moving on, and it took another week for the recruiter to respond to my availability. At this point, I had offers in-hand from other companies and asked multiple times to accelerate the process since I would need to get back to the companies I had offers from, but it didn't seem like she even read my email.

I finally had my second-stage interviews three weeks after my first-round. I had 2 video calls with an engineering manager and a PM. The PM was nearly 10 minutes late to a 45-minute call. The questions they asked were pretty boring and uninspiring. I didn't really get a great vibe from the interviewers - almost felt like they were arrogant.

Then, almost two weeks later, my recruiter finally got back to me saying I wasn't moving on.

All in all, the process took more than 2 months from my initial application and I still hadn't even made it to an offer stage. My recruiter was completely irresponsive. At each stage of the process, I probably sent her 1 email every 3 days, and sometimes it took her more than 2 weeks to reply.

Overall, a completely terrible process. I had an irresponsive recruiter, and late interviewers who asked questions that I felt didn't accurately showcase my skills, strengths, and prior experience.

Interview Questions

• How do you prioritize a roadmap?   Answer Question
    • How would you increase the number of engineers Facebook hires? Brainstorm some ideas, walk me through your process, etc.   Answer Question
    • How would you improve an internal CRM that the sales and marketing teams use? Walk me through what you would do in your first 90 days if this was your project. What metrics would you look at?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I applied online and had a call with the recruiter. He then sent me a follow up email with prep material and asked me to give him 3 available times. That was 5 weeks ago and I haven't heard from him since, after sending 4 follow up emails that were opened multiple times according to my tracker.

Interview Questions

• Experience and general question   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

There were 3 stages to the interview process:

1) Recruiter interview:
    A great chat with a recruiter / sourcer who explained to me how the process would go and the kind of questions I should expect. Throughout the process the sourcer and the recruiter were extremely helpful in explaining what was next and what to expect.

2) Video interview:
    A product sense and an execution interview. Both interviewers were very courteous.

Execution #1 - The interviewer focusing on execution explained she would be interrupting me but that this wasn't something they usually did at Facebook. It's such a small thing but helped me be more relaxed about our interaction. I came out of the interview thinking I didn't do too well but received feedback after the fact from the recruiter that I had done well.

Product Sense #1 - The interviewer who focused on product sense nodded and smiled from time to time. It was difficult for me to understand whether I had performed or not.

3) On-site interview:
    I was in the interview process with other firms but coming on-site and meeting other product managers made it clear to me this was a great place to build product. Every PM who interviewed me with was sharp and interesting and I felt I had "permission to not hold back" which helped me give be clearer in my thinking and presentation.

Execution #2 - We dived into Facebook live. The interviewer asked tangential questions to test both big picture thinking, goal-driven and detail focused execution.

Product Sense #2 - This was such a fun interview. Letting go and thinking big and different is important (and fun) but it's also crucial to stick to a structure and go back to it.

Leadership & Drive - The interview was a (great) conversation but I found it useful to present things in a structured way as it made it easier for my interviewer to follow.

ADVICE:
    - Preparation books are useful but counter-productive after a first read and a pass on the exercises.
    - Use the books to create your own structure.
    - You've done the job and you know how to do it, now you just need to gather and organise your thoughts.
    - Blog about it as a way to reward yourself for the thinking process!

Interview Questions

• Execution #1 - You're the PM for Facebook pages. What features would you prioritise?   2 Answers
    • Product Sense #1 - Tell me about your favourite app.   1 Answer
    • Execution #2:
      You're the PM for Facebook live. What are your priorities?
      1 Answer
    • Product Sense #2:
      What is your favourite product? Redesign it.
      Choose a Facebook product. Redesign it.
      1 Answer
    • Leadership & Drive - Tell me about a time where you had a difficult interaction with a colleague.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Initially had a phone screening with the recruiter for 30 mins and he only reached out to set up a phone interview with the hiring manager 1 month later.

Phone call with the hiring manager went well as he was very agreeable with most of my answers. He mentioned he would recommend me to come on site. Radio silence for 1 week. Followed up with recruiter with no response. Very unprofessional compared with other Tech companies. At least have the decency to send a rejection letter!

Interview Questions

• How do you handle a challenging situation?   2 Answers

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in January 2017.

Interview

Went through a friend's referral. From the point of referral to getting a sourcer assigned took almost 3 weeks. I guess it's because PM jobs in FB are too hot.

After agreeing the date/time for initial call with the sourcer, the sourcer missed the call. So had to re-schedule. The sourcer then missed the second time. I had to ask my friend to ping HR to find out what's going on, and get the sourcer to call me.

After finally getting the initial call with the sourcer, we scheduled first two phone interviews. No prep material was sent to me. One is on Execution, and the other on Product Sense.

On the day of the interview, where the first was about Product Sense, but the questions being asked was around Execution more. Later, the sourcer told me that the first interviewer thought that she was interviewing Execution and gave me Execution questions. The second interviewer, who was originally setup to interview Execution couldn't switch to interview Product Sense, and therefore the 2nd interview had to be re-scheduled.

The coordination of FB's recruiting team is a complete mess, and there's no follow-up afterwards. I kind of gave up from my side too given what happened and would rather focus on my current job.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to quit your job now?   1 Answer
    • What metrics would you define to measure the success of Save Item?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I interviewed with Facebook in Feb'15. I first had a brief screening with a recruiter, followed by two phone interviews, each 45 minutes long and then an onsite with 3 back to back interviews each 45 min long.

I had applied to FB directly and got a call from the recruiter. The recruiter was super helpful throughout each step of the process. In the initial call, he asked me basic questions about my previous job and why I wanted to join Facebook.

Phone Interviews:
    As many have already mentioned, FB PM interviews fall into 3 categories: 1. Product Design (PD), 2. Product Sense (PS) and 3. Leadership&Drive (LD) interviews.

My first phone interview was PD interview where the interviewer stated by asking which feature I was most proud of. Then he followed up with how would you improve that feature. Then he asked me how would I design FB for blind people. Lastly, he invited me to ask few questions of him.

My second phone interview was PS. Here FB is trying to get a sense of how good you are at understanding metrics and making tradeoffs amongst different metrics. My first question was if you are the PM for FB Pages, then how would you decide what goals and roadmap to have 1 year out. Then the interviewer asked me how would I do it for 50 years out. He also asked me to go into some detail of why I chose the metrics that I chose and how would I improve them (roadmap part). Next, he asked me the following question: Let us say you are sitting with a mobile analyst whom you can ask any question. You are looking at DAU data across the world and notice that there has been a jump of 5% compared to yesterday in Indonesia. What would you ask the analyst? Lastly, I was given 15 min to ask questions.
    This interview lasted almost 70 min though it was supposed to be for 45 min.

Both interviewers guided me / gave me hints when I got stuck or asked relevant questions for solving the problems given to me.

After the phone interview, recruiter called up after 3-4 days to let me know that I have moved to onsite round. He also gave me feedback on what I did well on and what needed improvement to succeed in next round. This was super helpful as I focused my energies on addressing the areas for improvement.

Onsite Interview:
    I had 3 onsite interviews, each 45 min long, starting at 10am. In each of the interviews, there was a shadow interviewer too, so in all, I met 6 people during the interviews. Shadow interviewers decision/vote does not count in the hiring process, I was told.

First was PD, followed by LD and lastly PS.
    PD: What app FB should build next? How would you improve a FB app of your choice. I had a really good discussion with PM on all the questions.

PS: I do not remember the details of this interview except that I did not do it so well.

LD: This was behavioural interview with examples from my previous job. Here they are looking for how self aware you are, what is your leadership style, how do you handle failures and how good are you at accepting mistakes.

After the interviews were over, another FB PM took me to lunch (while my interviewers met to discuss if they needed a 4th interview). Recruiter had told me that sometimes when they want to dig deeper into anything, they might schedule a 4th interview. The PM who took me to lunch had 4 interviews. Thankfully, I did not have 4th interview.

All the interviewers were very courteous, down to earth and I had a very pleasant experience.

Recruiter call me about 5 days later to let me know that I had the offer. He also gave me feedback on what went well and what didnt (PS).

Focus on following:
    1. Tie everything back to FB's vision.
    2. Always start with goal and user personas, followed by defining needs/pain points and then feature design.
    3. I practiced/'solved' all the questions listed on glassdoor FB PM interviews, which helped me immensely. While almost all questions were new, but the pattern was same. The more you practice the questions the better you become at thinking on your feet during the interview and following the PM thought process without much stumbling.

Interview Questions

• How would you build FB for blind people?   5 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

The process was well organized and structured. It took a very long time to schedule interviews, but after scheduling them, hearing feedback on moving onto the next round was very quick (within a day every time). They give you information regarding who your interviewers are, what you will be asked, and what to expect in advance so it is very easy for you to prepare and do well during the interviews. I had two video call interviews and three onsite interviews on product sense, execution, and leadership. Product sense relates to questions on product design and development, execution is a lot of analysis and metrics related questions, and leadership is your standard behavioral interview.

Interview Questions

• What do you think are the most important skills to being a strong PM?   3 Answers

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in October 2016.

Interview

45' phone screen, and five 30-45' onsite interviews. Onsite interviews consisted of three focused skills interviews on key areas (Product Sense, etc) plus 2 cross-functional interviews with Marketing and Engineering leads.
    Interviews focused mainly on a case or problem that the interviewer presented, usually with five minutes at the end for questions for the interviewer.

Interview Questions

• Say Facebook wanted to enter the [X] space. What is your MVP and launch plan?   2 Answers