Facebook Product Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Facebook Product Manager Interview Questions

Updated Feb 14, 2017

3.4

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in January 2017.

Interview

Went through a friend's referral. From the point of referral to getting a sourcer assigned took almost 3 weeks. I guess it's because PM jobs in FB are too hot.

After agreeing the date/time for initial call with the sourcer, the sourcer missed the call. So had to re-schedule. The sourcer then missed the second time. I had to ask my friend to ping HR to find out what's going on, and get the sourcer to call me.

After finally getting the initial call with the sourcer, we scheduled first two phone interviews. No prep material was sent to me. One is on Execution, and the other on Product Sense.

On the day of the interview, where the first was about Product Sense, but the questions being asked was around Execution more. Later, the sourcer told me that the first interviewer thought that she was interviewing Execution and gave me Execution questions. The second interviewer, who was originally setup to interview Execution couldn't switch to interview Product Sense, and therefore the 2nd interview had to be re-scheduled.

The coordination of FB's recruiting team is a complete mess, and there's no follow-up afterwards. I kind of gave up from my side too given what happened and would rather focus on my current job.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to quit your job now?   1 Answer
  • What metrics would you define to measure the success of Save Item?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

There were 3 stages to the interview process:

1) Recruiter interview:
    A great chat with a recruiter / sourcer who explained to me how the process would go and the kind of questions I should expect. Throughout the process the sourcer and the recruiter were extremely helpful in explaining what was next and what to expect.

2) Video interview:
    A product sense and an execution interview. Both interviewers were very courteous.

Execution #1 - The interviewer focusing on execution explained she would be interrupting me but that this wasn't something they usually did at Facebook. It's such a small thing but helped me be more relaxed about our interaction. I came out of the interview thinking I didn't do too well but received feedback after the fact from the recruiter that I had done well.

Product Sense #1 - The interviewer who focused on product sense nodded and smiled from time to time. It was difficult for me to understand whether I had performed or not.

3) On-site interview:
    I was in the interview process with other firms but coming on-site and meeting other product managers made it clear to me this was a great place to build product. Every PM who interviewed me with was sharp and interesting and I felt I had "permission to not hold back" which helped me give be clearer in my thinking and presentation.

Execution #2 - We dived into Facebook live. The interviewer asked tangential questions to test both big picture thinking, goal-driven and detail focused execution.

Product Sense #2 - This was such a fun interview. Letting go and thinking big and different is important (and fun) but it's also crucial to stick to a structure and go back to it.

Leadership & Drive - The interview was a (great) conversation but I found it useful to present things in a structured way as it made it easier for my interviewer to follow.

ADVICE:
    - Preparation books are useful but counter-productive after a first read and a pass on the exercises.
    - Use the books to create your own structure.
    - You've done the job and you know how to do it, now you just need to gather and organise your thoughts.
    - Blog about it as a way to reward yourself for the thinking process!

Interview Questions

• Execution #1 - You're the PM for Facebook pages. What features would you prioritise?   1 Answer
    • Product Sense #1 - Tell me about your favourite app.   1 Answer
    • Execution #2:
      You're the PM for Facebook live. What are your priorities?
      1 Answer
    • Product Sense #2:
      What is your favourite product? Redesign it.
      Choose a Facebook product. Redesign it.
      1 Answer
    • Leadership & Drive - Tell me about a time where you had a difficult interaction with a colleague.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I interviewed with Facebook in Feb'15. I first had a brief screening with a recruiter, followed by two phone interviews, each 45 minutes long and then an onsite with 3 back to back interviews each 45 min long.

I had applied to FB directly and got a call from the recruiter. The recruiter was super helpful throughout each step of the process. In the initial call, he asked me basic questions about my previous job and why I wanted to join Facebook.

Phone Interviews:
    As many have already mentioned, FB PM interviews fall into 3 categories: 1. Product Design (PD), 2. Product Sense (PS) and 3. Leadership&Drive (LD) interviews.

My first phone interview was PD interview where the interviewer stated by asking which feature I was most proud of. Then he followed up with how would you improve that feature. Then he asked me how would I design FB for blind people. Lastly, he invited me to ask few questions of him.

My second phone interview was PS. Here FB is trying to get a sense of how good you are at understanding metrics and making tradeoffs amongst different metrics. My first question was if you are the PM for FB Pages, then how would you decide what goals and roadmap to have 1 year out. Then the interviewer asked me how would I do it for 50 years out. He also asked me to go into some detail of why I chose the metrics that I chose and how would I improve them (roadmap part). Next, he asked me the following question: Let us say you are sitting with a mobile analyst whom you can ask any question. You are looking at DAU data across the world and notice that there has been a jump of 5% compared to yesterday in Indonesia. What would you ask the analyst? Lastly, I was given 15 min to ask questions.
    This interview lasted almost 70 min though it was supposed to be for 45 min.

Both interviewers guided me / gave me hints when I got stuck or asked relevant questions for solving the problems given to me.

After the phone interview, recruiter called up after 3-4 days to let me know that I have moved to onsite round. He also gave me feedback on what I did well on and what needed improvement to succeed in next round. This was super helpful as I focused my energies on addressing the areas for improvement.

Onsite Interview:
    I had 3 onsite interviews, each 45 min long, starting at 10am. In each of the interviews, there was a shadow interviewer too, so in all, I met 6 people during the interviews. Shadow interviewers decision/vote does not count in the hiring process, I was told.

First was PD, followed by LD and lastly PS.
    PD: What app FB should build next? How would you improve a FB app of your choice. I had a really good discussion with PM on all the questions.

PS: I do not remember the details of this interview except that I did not do it so well.

LD: This was behavioural interview with examples from my previous job. Here they are looking for how self aware you are, what is your leadership style, how do you handle failures and how good are you at accepting mistakes.

After the interviews were over, another FB PM took me to lunch (while my interviewers met to discuss if they needed a 4th interview). Recruiter had told me that sometimes when they want to dig deeper into anything, they might schedule a 4th interview. The PM who took me to lunch had 4 interviews. Thankfully, I did not have 4th interview.

All the interviewers were very courteous, down to earth and I had a very pleasant experience.

Recruiter call me about 5 days later to let me know that I had the offer. He also gave me feedback on what went well and what didnt (PS).

Focus on following:
    1. Tie everything back to FB's vision.
    2. Always start with goal and user personas, followed by defining needs/pain points and then feature design.
    3. I practiced/'solved' all the questions listed on glassdoor FB PM interviews, which helped me immensely. While almost all questions were new, but the pattern was same. The more you practice the questions the better you become at thinking on your feet during the interview and following the PM thought process without much stumbling.

Interview Questions

• How would you build FB for blind people?   5 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

The process was well organized and structured. It took a very long time to schedule interviews, but after scheduling them, hearing feedback on moving onto the next round was very quick (within a day every time). They give you information regarding who your interviewers are, what you will be asked, and what to expect in advance so it is very easy for you to prepare and do well during the interviews. I had two video call interviews and three onsite interviews on product sense, execution, and leadership. Product sense relates to questions on product design and development, execution is a lot of analysis and metrics related questions, and leadership is your standard behavioral interview.

Interview Questions

• What do you think are the most important skills to being a strong PM?   2 Answers

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in October 2016.

Interview

45' phone screen, and five 30-45' onsite interviews. Onsite interviews consisted of three focused skills interviews on key areas (Product Sense, etc) plus 2 cross-functional interviews with Marketing and Engineering leads.
    Interviews focused mainly on a case or problem that the interviewer presented, usually with five minutes at the end for questions for the interviewer.

Interview Questions

• Say Facebook wanted to enter the [X] space. What is your MVP and launch plan?   2 Answers

Product Manager Interview

Interview

Interviewed for a senior PM role by a PMs with less than 3 years of experience. They clearly had an issue with my experience and ago. Facebook not only has the worse diversity numbers in Silicon Valley, but is also ground zero for age discrimination. They need to seriously revamp their interview training to take unintended bias into consideration. If they tell you they need people who are more hands on in their "operating environment" then that is code language for you are too old. Or, you're just older than the people interviewing. Zuck once said, "Young people are just smarter," and it is clear nothing has changed. If you are 35+ then your chances are slim regardless of your education, where you've worked, or your qualifications. If you are over 40, then don't bother.

Surprised they haven't been sued for discrimination by now.

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Overall process was organized, efficient, and challenging. I was applying for a specialist role but still went through the generalist process. Appreciated meeting PMs from different parts of the org but as a result didn't get a chance to really know the team that I wanted to join. Required two visits to the campus but everything was wrapped up within a two week time frame. Interviewers were all on time, well prepared, friendly, and open.

Interview Questions

• How would you bootstrap a product that helps people find apartments and how would you differentiate it from existing competitors?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Phone interview with a recruiter, then two in-person interviews to assess "product instincts" and "execution." One interviewer was rude and kept interrupting me as he was questioning me, then when I asked him about how Facebook handles complex cross-functional projects, looked like he was ready to cry. "It's total chaos," he told me.

The other interviewer was totally disengaged, and, although I had been guided to treat the interview as a "brainstorming session," she simply wouldn't give me any back-and-forth. I asked questions, she refused to answer. I tried to clarify points, she simply said, "what do you think?" I came away convinced that the interview is focused on testing candidates who have very little real-world experience, and therefore can't give examples of real situations in which they've had to use their product instincts or execute under tough conditions. Consequently, the questions focus on hypotheticals that don't provide an accurate picture of a candidate's skills, and, in fact, provide a warped picture of an experienced candidate who is accustomed to working with facts and real situations.

I know that Facebook thinks they're very "data driven" about this hiring process, but I think they've headed down the wrong path for more senior PM candidates (I have 15 years of product management experience).

After the interview, I didn't receive any call back from the recruiter. I didn't pursue it, because the negative experience I had led me to conclude that I don't want to work there. But, the lack of follow-up isn't a particularly good sign either.

Interview Questions

• Build a birthday app for Facebook.   4 Answers

Facebook Response

Jun 6, 2016 – Your Friends at Facebook

We're sorry to hear about your negative experience with our interviewers and for the lack of follow-up from our recruiter. Every candidate moment matters to us, and we'll leverage this feedback to ... More

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook in March 2016.

Interview

Have been recommended twice by former co-workers/current employees. Passed the phone screens 4 times with 4 different HR people only to have the hiring manager not want to do the phone interview with me. I'm 40+ so and it feels like I haven't made it further because the hiring managers are uncomfortable working with people older and/or more experienced than them. I'm in tech, haven't had a boss older than me since I was in my 20s, it doesn't bother me. And, if they met me and didn't want to hire me I could understand that too. Not being able to get an interview is a real problem.

The HR people were very nice and efficient.

Interview Questions

• We discussed a specific product and what I thought of it. They picked the product where I had the most experience and asked about how I would make their product better. Also asked a couple of questions about my personal strengths and weaknesses. They wanted to know about my technical experience and my experience launching products.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter. Did a phone screen with the re recruiter, followed by a 45 minute Product Sense and 45 minute Product Execution Interview. My recruiter helped me prep for the interview beforehand.

The questions are very open ended and ambiguous. Ask a lot of clarifying questions and break down a big problem in a structured way. I had a lot of back and forth dialog with my interviewers.

I didn't make it but it wasn't for want of preparing or of any unfairness on the part of my interviewers.

Interview Questions

• Product Sense -
      As a PM on the Facebook Birthdays team, how would you make it better?
      What do you dislike about a Facebook feature of your choice?

Product Execution -
      Tested for understanding of product metrics
      Asked to compare pros/cons of a product decision (big picture question)
      Describe a Facebook Product that I use and how I would make it better.
      Answer Question