Facebook Product Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 11, 2017

3.4

70 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in March 2017.

Interview

As most others have noted, the interview process is a 30-minute phone screener with a recruiter, then two back-to-back 45-minute video interviews with lead product managers, one on Product Sense and another on Execution, and then onsite interviews. I did not make it past the video interviews.

For the phone screener, the recruiter is just looking to make sure you've done relevant product management-type work:
- Tell me about yourself
- Have you ever worked on a product/feature you worked on from idea to launch?
- How did you measure success of that product/feature? (provide examples of metrics you looked at)

My Product Sense interview was with a product lead on Facebook Messenger. He quickly told me that he had already read through my resume and asked if there was anything else unique about me that wasn't on my resume. He then asked me about two of my favorite consumer products to try and suss out any commonalities across the two to determine what characteristics I value in a good product. We then moved onto the meat of the interview, the product sense hypothetical. He presented the following hypothetical: "Design a way for people with similar interests/hobbies to connect".

I had prepped a structure of walking through the problem, the user, potential solutions, etc, but I struggled with this particular use case. His feedback was that I jumped too quickly into the solution, and that I needed to back up and talk about "pain points" in a bit more depth. Then, he provided feedback that I was getting stuck on pain points and needed to move onto the solution, as we were running out of time. I had 5 minutes at the end to ask him questions.

My Execution interview was with a product lead on Instagram, working on safety/community. He briefly introduced himself and his role, and asked me to quickly do the same. He the presented the following hypothetical: "Tell me what metrics you would look at as a product manager for Instagram ads".

We went through multiple follow-ups, asking me to prioritize which of those metrics would be most important, what to consider about how that metric might not tell the whole story, what I would do if I saw a sharp decrease in that metric from one day to the next, how I would rally the team around addressing that problem vs moving on, etc. I had a lot of fun here and thought I did fairly well with this interview, as it more closely reflected what I do in my current role day to day.

My advice for the Product Sense and Execution video interviews:
- Figure out how well you're balanced between these two skill sets.
- If you're unbalanced, like I was, focus on the area where you are weaker
- Identify a structure to use for either interview. For Product Sense, I would recommend: 1) Clarify the problem, 2) Understand/make assumptions about the user, 3) Identify pain points, 4) Brainstorm solutions, 5) Explain rationale/tradeoffs. For Execution, I would recommend: 1) Identify the proxy metric that most closely reflects the real-world change, 2) Identify related metrics, 3) Refine to reduce chance of "gaming" the metric, 4) Identify what questions you would ask if those metric(s) fell (external factors, internal to Facebook factors, internal to product/feature factors), 5) Explain how you would make tradeoffs to prioritize addressing the issue. There are various books and websites that can lead you through other ways of structuring your answers to these two types of questions. I'd highly recommend writing out a flow chart of your structure that you can refer to during the interview.
- Practice hypotheticals out loud with a friend. It was extremely helpful to also refine any problems you might have with communicating your ideas. Take the flow chart you created above and refine it by practicing out loud with a friend. I found it helpful to create a sort of mix-and-match flashcards by printing out 6 starts to a question and combining them with ends of a question. I put all of the starts in one bowl and all the ends in another bowl, and had my friend pick from the two bowls at random. Examples:

Starts:
1. Tell me your favorite thing about...
2. Design/re-design...
3. How would you measure success of...
4. How would you fix a problem with...

Ends:
1. ...a way for people to find apartments/meet people with similar interests/find something to do this weekend
2. ...X feature of Facebook/Instagram (i.e. Birthdays, Messenger, Saved, Ads, News Feed, Trending, etc)
3. ...your favorite product

Ultimately, this interview process does a really good job at sussing out the skills that you've already developed. Prep can take you the last 10%, but if you don't have a firm foundation, it will be fairly difficult to succeed (at least in my experience). Trust your strengths and shore up your weaknesses.

Interview Questions

• Design a way for people with similar interests/hobbies to connect.   Answer Question
  • Tell me about your favorite product.   Answer Question
  • Tell me what metrics you would look at as a product manager for Instagram ads.   1 Answer
  • What questions do you have for me?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

I had three phone interviews, and then was flown out to Menlo park for three on-site interviews. Interviewers asked very detailed questions and often challenged you on your answers. Recruiters were prompt and the process moved quickly but I didn't get much background before the interviews. It was a difficult but positive interview process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

I reached out to my university recruiter and she promptly went through a phone screen with me to learn more about my background and my interest in the role. Towards the end of the conversation, she said she would feel comfortable passing me along to a product manager for a 45 minute phone screen.

The phone screen consisted of culture-fit questions (Why Facebook? What is something interesting about you?) and then moved on to product specific questions (What is your favorite feature of Facebook? How would you improve it?) I would recommend preparing a bit beforehand.

Finally, I was invited to their on-site interview which was probably the most fun PM interview I have had. They have three interviews that are focused on 1) future 2) reasoning and 3) product. Make sure you are structured and can tie everything back to Facebook and their core products.

Overall, I had a fantastic time interviewing here and although it did not work out in the end, the culture is fun, people are great and the campus is unreal!

Interview Questions

• What is the future of XYZ industry in 5 years? 15 years? How will Facebook factor into that?   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

The interviews are designed to be challenging - you're going to be asked to drill deep in a particular area or change course (depending on whether you have already covered enough ground or if it looks like you're stuck). Definitely look at Glassdoor for representative questions and practice ahead of time. I enjoyed this process. The Product sense and product execution interviewers let me know they would be taking notes and would interrupt me from time to time. That made it easy to take it in my stride.

It took them over a week to let me know of the outcome since their debrief meetings kept getting postponed. The recruiter kept me informed throughout the process so I was aware of what was going on.

My sense of the culture from the interviews was, they definitely look for a certain type of attributes in the types of PMs they hire - think fast on your feet, highly articulate and succinct. They certainly screen heavily for those attributes/characteristics. If you can nail that during your interviews, you will do well.

Interview Questions

• Execution - FB decided to launch Reactions? How would you measure success? How would you test?

Prod Sense - Design a social travel product

Execution - How should FB grow registrations?

Prod Sense - Pick a product that you like. what do you like about it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

Fairly straight forward and clear. Interviewers are ok. Cleared the video but failed on on site.
    Execution is analytical. Product sense can be vague at times. Leadership was purely behavioral.

HR is very slow. I also they they don't care to inform if you failed. I understand they have a ton of people and can't respond but atleast to onsite people, after promising to send a feedback within 3 hours. Horrible HR. Cannot believe why FB can't fix this.

Interview Questions

• Execution - how do measure X ?   Answer Question
    • Product sense: how would you use FB to improve X ? This can be vague or on a topic completely unknown to you.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted for a Product Manager position in either Seattle or Menlo Park by HR. After the phone screen, HR explained I could be hired on for an allocated role or go through the generalist process (where you would get to take a couple weeks after you get hired to learn about Facebook in bootcamp & choose a team). I chose the generalist process, and HR set up 2 45-minute video interviews (product sense & execution). After the video interviews, HR sent me an email to set up a phone call, which she then told me that they would not be moving forward and gave me feedback on what could have been improved.

Video interviews were fun and I enjoyed talking to the interviewers. Next time, would definitely focus on having a process of answering the design question.

Interview Questions

• HR Phone Screen:
      1. Tell me about yourself.
      2. Why Facebook?
      3. What is a project you've worked on recently?
      4. What's your favorite facebook feature?

Product Sense Video Interview
      1. Design a way for people to find apartments.

Product Execution Interview:
      2. How do you deal with trade-offs between opposing metrics, such as higher AoV but lower conversion rate?
      3. For Facebook Groups, how would you increase usage?
      4. For Facebook Marketplace, how would you go about setting the price of the products? What tradeoffs would you make in the options you described in terms of metrics?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA) in January 2013.

Interview

Honestly I found the people I interviewed with rude and arrogant. I clearly was not a match for what they were looking for which was someone extremely technical. They did not seem to care about business experience.

Interview Questions

• How would you most efficiently store large images in the database?   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in October 2016.

Interview

45' phone screen, and five 30-45' onsite interviews. Onsite interviews consisted of three focused skills interviews on key areas (Product Sense, etc) plus 2 cross-functional interviews with Marketing and Engineering leads.
    Interviews focused mainly on a case or problem that the interviewer presented, usually with five minutes at the end for questions for the interviewer.

Interview Questions

• Say Facebook wanted to enter the [X] space. What is your MVP and launch plan?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

There were 3 stages to the interview process:

1) Recruiter interview:
    A great chat with a recruiter / sourcer who explained to me how the process would go and the kind of questions I should expect. Throughout the process the sourcer and the recruiter were extremely helpful in explaining what was next and what to expect.

2) Video interview:
    A product sense and an execution interview. Both interviewers were very courteous.

Execution #1 - The interviewer focusing on execution explained she would be interrupting me but that this wasn't something they usually did at Facebook. It's such a small thing but helped me be more relaxed about our interaction. I came out of the interview thinking I didn't do too well but received feedback after the fact from the recruiter that I had done well.

Product Sense #1 - The interviewer who focused on product sense nodded and smiled from time to time. It was difficult for me to understand whether I had performed or not.

3) On-site interview:
    I was in the interview process with other firms but coming on-site and meeting other product managers made it clear to me this was a great place to build product. Every PM who interviewed me with was sharp and interesting and I felt I had "permission to not hold back" which helped me give be clearer in my thinking and presentation.

Execution #2 - We dived into Facebook live. The interviewer asked tangential questions to test both big picture thinking, goal-driven and detail focused execution.

Product Sense #2 - This was such a fun interview. Letting go and thinking big and different is important (and fun) but it's also crucial to stick to a structure and go back to it.

Leadership & Drive - The interview was a (great) conversation but I found it useful to present things in a structured way as it made it easier for my interviewer to follow.

ADVICE:
    - Preparation books are useful but counter-productive after a first read and a pass on the exercises.
    - Use the books to create your own structure.
    - You've done the job and you know how to do it, now you just need to gather and organise your thoughts.
    - Blog about it as a way to reward yourself for the thinking process!

Interview Questions

• Execution #1 - You're the PM for Facebook pages. What features would you prioritise?   2 Answers
    • Product Sense #1 - Tell me about your favourite app.   1 Answer
    • Execution #2:
      You're the PM for Facebook live. What are your priorities?   1 Answer
    • Product Sense #2:
      What is your favourite product? Redesign it.
      Choose a Facebook product. Redesign it.   1 Answer
    • Leadership & Drive - Tell me about a time where you had a difficult interaction with a colleague.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Overall process was organized, efficient, and challenging. I was applying for a specialist role but still went through the generalist process. Appreciated meeting PMs from different parts of the org but as a result didn't get a chance to really know the team that I wanted to join. Required two visits to the campus but everything was wrapped up within a two week time frame. Interviewers were all on time, well prepared, friendly, and open.

Interview Questions

• How would you bootstrap a product that helps people find apartments and how would you differentiate it from existing competitors?   3 Answers