Facebook Product Manager Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 13, 2017

3.5

34 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

Got approached from internal recruiter via Linkedin.
The first interview was a phone interview with the recruiter asking typical HR related questions to gauge my interest.
Followed with a half-day onsite (had the option to do via video call but I preferred not to) having 2 one hour interviews with product managers. The first interview was with 2 product managers (one of the them mostly listening in) and the second interview was with 1 product manager. Questions were typical whiteboarding, what-if product related scenarios which I enjoyed.
I think I did fairly well although I was ill at the day having slept very little so I underperformed and I felt there were areas I could have done better in. I left feeling 70% positive I would move to the next stage.
I waited for a couple of weeks to hear back but I never did so after following up with the recruiter a few times, he told me that they wouldn't proceed further and it took long for him to get back to me because it was 'close'! I had asked to receive further feedback and I never did. The recruiter never called me back (even if we tried to schedule time) and additionally when I asked 'well can you at least give me a few feedback points via email' I received nothing. Really negative experience which I didn't expect from a company like Facebook

Interview Questions

• Describe how you would build a product for people who want to save money?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Interview

I did a phone screen, but never heard back from the recruiter. They seemed interested only in experience working on consumer software. One question was what areas of the product you are interested in. They require mobile experience to work on instagram.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied on the Facebook careers website. A recruiter reached out; talked to me about my interests and why I was looking to join Facebook. Followed by this, I had 2 video interviews: one on Product Sense and one on Execution. Each was 45 minutes long. Within 1 day, I was invited to a in-person loop at Menlo Park. I had 3 interviews: Product Sense, Execution and Leadership. Within 1 day, I got a rejection. Please note that Facebook does provide very detailed interview feedback. I had excellent written feedback for the video interview round. I had poor feedback on the in-person Product Sense interview: the interviewer felt that my solutions did not take into consideration the company's mission/vision and objectives. Also note that 4 out of the 5 interviewees were female PMs.

Interview Questions

• How would you improve Facebook Birthdays.   1 Answer
    • What metrics would you use to track the improvement of sense of community within Facebook Groups?   Answer Question
    • Design Facebook Groups v2.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you failed. What did you learn? What would you do differently if the same situation arose again?   Answer Question
    • Evaluate Facebook Events vs. People You May Know. If you were the PM on Newsfeed, how would you determine which one to display?   Answer Question
    • What is 1 metric you would choose if you were the PM of Facebook Events? Design features to increase it.   Answer Question
    • Improve a non-tech product.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

Fairly straight forward and clear. Interviewers are ok. Cleared the video but failed on on site.
    Execution is analytical. Product sense can be vague at times. Leadership was purely behavioral.

HR is very slow. I also they they don't care to inform if you failed. I understand they have a ton of people and can't respond but atleast to onsite people, after promising to send a feedback within 3 hours. Horrible HR. Cannot believe why FB can't fix this.

Interview Questions

• Execution - how do measure X ?   Answer Question
    • Product sense: how would you use FB to improve X ? This can be vague or on a topic completely unknown to you.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

A few weeks after I applied, I had my first call with the recruiter - very simple, basic Q&A.

Three weeks later, I had a 30-minute phone interview with the hiring manager who arrived late to the interview. More high-level, talking about my background, how I approached roadmap prioritization, taking features from idea to lunch, what metrics did I monitor, and how did I know what actually impacted those metrics.

I heard back one week later that I would be moving on, and it took another week for the recruiter to respond to my availability. At this point, I had offers in-hand from other companies and asked multiple times to accelerate the process since I would need to get back to the companies I had offers from, but it didn't seem like she even read my email.

I finally had my second-stage interviews three weeks after my first-round. I had 2 video calls with an engineering manager and a PM. The PM was nearly 10 minutes late to a 45-minute call. The questions they asked were pretty boring and uninspiring. I didn't really get a great vibe from the interviewers - almost felt like they were arrogant.

Then, almost two weeks later, my recruiter finally got back to me saying I wasn't moving on.

All in all, the process took more than 2 months from my initial application and I still hadn't even made it to an offer stage. My recruiter was completely irresponsive. At each stage of the process, I probably sent her 1 email every 3 days, and sometimes it took her more than 2 weeks to reply.

Overall, a completely terrible process. I had an irresponsive recruiter, and late interviewers who asked questions that I felt didn't accurately showcase my skills, strengths, and prior experience.

Interview Questions

• How do you prioritize a roadmap?   1 Answer
    • How would you increase the number of engineers Facebook hires? Brainstorm some ideas, walk me through your process, etc.   1 Answer
    • How would you improve an internal CRM that the sales and marketing teams use? Walk me through what you would do in your first 90 days if this was your project. What metrics would you look at?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I applied online and had a call with the recruiter. He then sent me a follow up email with prep material and asked me to give him 3 available times. That was 5 weeks ago and I haven't heard from him since, after sending 4 follow up emails that were opened multiple times according to my tracker.

Interview Questions

• Experience and general question   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

There were 3 stages to the interview process:

1) Recruiter interview:
    A great chat with a recruiter / sourcer who explained to me how the process would go and the kind of questions I should expect. Throughout the process the sourcer and the recruiter were extremely helpful in explaining what was next and what to expect.

2) Video interview:
    A product sense and an execution interview. Both interviewers were very courteous.

Execution #1 - The interviewer focusing on execution explained she would be interrupting me but that this wasn't something they usually did at Facebook. It's such a small thing but helped me be more relaxed about our interaction. I came out of the interview thinking I didn't do too well but received feedback after the fact from the recruiter that I had done well.

Product Sense #1 - The interviewer who focused on product sense nodded and smiled from time to time. It was difficult for me to understand whether I had performed or not.

3) On-site interview:
    I was in the interview process with other firms but coming on-site and meeting other product managers made it clear to me this was a great place to build product. Every PM who interviewed me with was sharp and interesting and I felt I had "permission to not hold back" which helped me give be clearer in my thinking and presentation.

Execution #2 - We dived into Facebook live. The interviewer asked tangential questions to test both big picture thinking, goal-driven and detail focused execution.

Product Sense #2 - This was such a fun interview. Letting go and thinking big and different is important (and fun) but it's also crucial to stick to a structure and go back to it.

Leadership & Drive - The interview was a (great) conversation but I found it useful to present things in a structured way as it made it easier for my interviewer to follow.

ADVICE:
    - Preparation books are useful but counter-productive after a first read and a pass on the exercises.
    - Use the books to create your own structure.
    - You've done the job and you know how to do it, now you just need to gather and organise your thoughts.
    - Blog about it as a way to reward yourself for the thinking process!

Interview Questions

• Execution #1 - You're the PM for Facebook pages. What features would you prioritise?   2 Answers
    • Product Sense #1 - Tell me about your favourite app.   1 Answer
    • Execution #2:
      You're the PM for Facebook live. What are your priorities?   1 Answer
    • Product Sense #2:
      What is your favourite product? Redesign it.
      Choose a Facebook product. Redesign it.   1 Answer
    • Leadership & Drive - Tell me about a time where you had a difficult interaction with a colleague.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Initially had a phone screening with the recruiter for 30 mins and he only reached out to set up a phone interview with the hiring manager 1 month later.

Phone call with the hiring manager went well as he was very agreeable with most of my answers. He mentioned he would recommend me to come on site. Radio silence for 1 week. Followed up with recruiter with no response. Very unprofessional compared with other Tech companies. At least have the decency to send a rejection letter!

Interview Questions

• How do you handle a challenging situation?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I interviewed with Facebook in Feb'15. I first had a brief screening with a recruiter, followed by two phone interviews, each 45 minutes long and then an onsite with 3 back to back interviews each 45 min long.

I had applied to FB directly and got a call from the recruiter. The recruiter was super helpful throughout each step of the process. In the initial call, he asked me basic questions about my previous job and why I wanted to join Facebook.

Phone Interviews:
    As many have already mentioned, FB PM interviews fall into 3 categories: 1. Product Design (PD), 2. Product Sense (PS) and 3. Leadership&Drive (LD) interviews.

My first phone interview was PD interview where the interviewer stated by asking which feature I was most proud of. Then he followed up with how would you improve that feature. Then he asked me how would I design FB for blind people. Lastly, he invited me to ask few questions of him.

My second phone interview was PS. Here FB is trying to get a sense of how good you are at understanding metrics and making tradeoffs amongst different metrics. My first question was if you are the PM for FB Pages, then how would you decide what goals and roadmap to have 1 year out. Then the interviewer asked me how would I do it for 50 years out. He also asked me to go into some detail of why I chose the metrics that I chose and how would I improve them (roadmap part). Next, he asked me the following question: Let us say you are sitting with a mobile analyst whom you can ask any question. You are looking at DAU data across the world and notice that there has been a jump of 5% compared to yesterday in Indonesia. What would you ask the analyst? Lastly, I was given 15 min to ask questions.
    This interview lasted almost 70 min though it was supposed to be for 45 min.

Both interviewers guided me / gave me hints when I got stuck or asked relevant questions for solving the problems given to me.

After the phone interview, recruiter called up after 3-4 days to let me know that I have moved to onsite round. He also gave me feedback on what I did well on and what needed improvement to succeed in next round. This was super helpful as I focused my energies on addressing the areas for improvement.

Onsite Interview:
    I had 3 onsite interviews, each 45 min long, starting at 10am. In each of the interviews, there was a shadow interviewer too, so in all, I met 6 people during the interviews. Shadow interviewers decision/vote does not count in the hiring process, I was told.

First was PD, followed by LD and lastly PS.
    PD: What app FB should build next? How would you improve a FB app of your choice. I had a really good discussion with PM on all the questions.

PS: I do not remember the details of this interview except that I did not do it so well.

LD: This was behavioural interview with examples from my previous job. Here they are looking for how self aware you are, what is your leadership style, how do you handle failures and how good are you at accepting mistakes.

After the interviews were over, another FB PM took me to lunch (while my interviewers met to discuss if they needed a 4th interview). Recruiter had told me that sometimes when they want to dig deeper into anything, they might schedule a 4th interview. The PM who took me to lunch had 4 interviews. Thankfully, I did not have 4th interview.

All the interviewers were very courteous, down to earth and I had a very pleasant experience.

Recruiter call me about 5 days later to let me know that I had the offer. He also gave me feedback on what went well and what didnt (PS).

Focus on following:
    1. Tie everything back to FB's vision.
    2. Always start with goal and user personas, followed by defining needs/pain points and then feature design.
    3. I practiced/'solved' all the questions listed on glassdoor FB PM interviews, which helped me immensely. While almost all questions were new, but the pattern was same. The more you practice the questions the better you become at thinking on your feet during the interview and following the PM thought process without much stumbling.

Interview Questions

• How would you build FB for blind people?   5 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

The process was well organized and structured. It took a very long time to schedule interviews, but after scheduling them, hearing feedback on moving onto the next round was very quick (within a day every time). They give you information regarding who your interviewers are, what you will be asked, and what to expect in advance so it is very easy for you to prepare and do well during the interviews. I had two video call interviews and three onsite interviews on product sense, execution, and leadership. Product sense relates to questions on product design and development, execution is a lot of analysis and metrics related questions, and leadership is your standard behavioral interview.

Interview Questions

• What do you think are the most important skills to being a strong PM?   3 Answers