Facebook Product Manager Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Facebook Product Manager Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

Updated Mar 21, 2017

3.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I applied online and had a call with the recruiter. He then sent me a follow up email with prep material and asked me to give him 3 available times. That was 5 weeks ago and I haven't heard from him since, after sending 4 follow up emails that were opened multiple times according to my tracker.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Initially had a phone screening with the recruiter for 30 mins and he only reached out to set up a phone interview with the hiring manager 1 month later.

Phone call with the hiring manager went well as he was very agreeable with most of my answers. He mentioned he would recommend me to come on site. Radio silence for 1 week. Followed up with recruiter with no response. Very unprofessional compared with other Tech companies. At least have the decency to send a rejection letter!

Interview Questions

• How do you handle a challenging situation?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

There were 3 stages to the interview process:

1) Recruiter interview:
    A great chat with a recruiter / sourcer who explained to me how the process would go and the kind of questions I should expect. Throughout the process the sourcer and the recruiter were extremely helpful in explaining what was next and what to expect.

2) Video interview:
    A product sense and an execution interview. Both interviewers were very courteous.

Execution #1 - The interviewer focusing on execution explained she would be interrupting me but that this wasn't something they usually did at Facebook. It's such a small thing but helped me be more relaxed about our interaction. I came out of the interview thinking I didn't do too well but received feedback after the fact from the recruiter that I had done well.

Product Sense #1 - The interviewer who focused on product sense nodded and smiled from time to time. It was difficult for me to understand whether I had performed or not.

3) On-site interview:
    I was in the interview process with other firms but coming on-site and meeting other product managers made it clear to me this was a great place to build product. Every PM who interviewed me with was sharp and interesting and I felt I had "permission to not hold back" which helped me give be clearer in my thinking and presentation.

Execution #2 - We dived into Facebook live. The interviewer asked tangential questions to test both big picture thinking, goal-driven and detail focused execution.

Product Sense #2 - This was such a fun interview. Letting go and thinking big and different is important (and fun) but it's also crucial to stick to a structure and go back to it.

Leadership & Drive - The interview was a (great) conversation but I found it useful to present things in a structured way as it made it easier for my interviewer to follow.

ADVICE:
    - Preparation books are useful but counter-productive after a first read and a pass on the exercises.
    - Use the books to create your own structure.
    - You've done the job and you know how to do it, now you just need to gather and organise your thoughts.
    - Blog about it as a way to reward yourself for the thinking process!

Interview Questions

• Execution #1 - You're the PM for Facebook pages. What features would you prioritise?   2 Answers
    • Product Sense #1 - Tell me about your favourite app.   1 Answer
    • Execution #2:
      You're the PM for Facebook live. What are your priorities?
      1 Answer
    • Product Sense #2:
      What is your favourite product? Redesign it.
      Choose a Facebook product. Redesign it.
      1 Answer
    • Leadership & Drive - Tell me about a time where you had a difficult interaction with a colleague.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I interviewed with Facebook in Feb'15. I first had a brief screening with a recruiter, followed by two phone interviews, each 45 minutes long and then an onsite with 3 back to back interviews each 45 min long.

I had applied to FB directly and got a call from the recruiter. The recruiter was super helpful throughout each step of the process. In the initial call, he asked me basic questions about my previous job and why I wanted to join Facebook.

Phone Interviews:
    As many have already mentioned, FB PM interviews fall into 3 categories: 1. Product Design (PD), 2. Product Sense (PS) and 3. Leadership&Drive (LD) interviews.

My first phone interview was PD interview where the interviewer stated by asking which feature I was most proud of. Then he followed up with how would you improve that feature. Then he asked me how would I design FB for blind people. Lastly, he invited me to ask few questions of him.

My second phone interview was PS. Here FB is trying to get a sense of how good you are at understanding metrics and making tradeoffs amongst different metrics. My first question was if you are the PM for FB Pages, then how would you decide what goals and roadmap to have 1 year out. Then the interviewer asked me how would I do it for 50 years out. He also asked me to go into some detail of why I chose the metrics that I chose and how would I improve them (roadmap part). Next, he asked me the following question: Let us say you are sitting with a mobile analyst whom you can ask any question. You are looking at DAU data across the world and notice that there has been a jump of 5% compared to yesterday in Indonesia. What would you ask the analyst? Lastly, I was given 15 min to ask questions.
    This interview lasted almost 70 min though it was supposed to be for 45 min.

Both interviewers guided me / gave me hints when I got stuck or asked relevant questions for solving the problems given to me.

After the phone interview, recruiter called up after 3-4 days to let me know that I have moved to onsite round. He also gave me feedback on what I did well on and what needed improvement to succeed in next round. This was super helpful as I focused my energies on addressing the areas for improvement.

Onsite Interview:
    I had 3 onsite interviews, each 45 min long, starting at 10am. In each of the interviews, there was a shadow interviewer too, so in all, I met 6 people during the interviews. Shadow interviewers decision/vote does not count in the hiring process, I was told.

First was PD, followed by LD and lastly PS.
    PD: What app FB should build next? How would you improve a FB app of your choice. I had a really good discussion with PM on all the questions.

PS: I do not remember the details of this interview except that I did not do it so well.

LD: This was behavioural interview with examples from my previous job. Here they are looking for how self aware you are, what is your leadership style, how do you handle failures and how good are you at accepting mistakes.

After the interviews were over, another FB PM took me to lunch (while my interviewers met to discuss if they needed a 4th interview). Recruiter had told me that sometimes when they want to dig deeper into anything, they might schedule a 4th interview. The PM who took me to lunch had 4 interviews. Thankfully, I did not have 4th interview.

All the interviewers were very courteous, down to earth and I had a very pleasant experience.

Recruiter call me about 5 days later to let me know that I had the offer. He also gave me feedback on what went well and what didnt (PS).

Focus on following:
    1. Tie everything back to FB's vision.
    2. Always start with goal and user personas, followed by defining needs/pain points and then feature design.
    3. I practiced/'solved' all the questions listed on glassdoor FB PM interviews, which helped me immensely. While almost all questions were new, but the pattern was same. The more you practice the questions the better you become at thinking on your feet during the interview and following the PM thought process without much stumbling.

Interview Questions

• How would you build FB for blind people?   5 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

The process was well organized and structured. It took a very long time to schedule interviews, but after scheduling them, hearing feedback on moving onto the next round was very quick (within a day every time). They give you information regarding who your interviewers are, what you will be asked, and what to expect in advance so it is very easy for you to prepare and do well during the interviews. I had two video call interviews and three onsite interviews on product sense, execution, and leadership. Product sense relates to questions on product design and development, execution is a lot of analysis and metrics related questions, and leadership is your standard behavioral interview.

Interview Questions

• What do you think are the most important skills to being a strong PM?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Overall process was organized, efficient, and challenging. I was applying for a specialist role but still went through the generalist process. Appreciated meeting PMs from different parts of the org but as a result didn't get a chance to really know the team that I wanted to join. Required two visits to the campus but everything was wrapped up within a two week time frame. Interviewers were all on time, well prepared, friendly, and open.

Interview Questions

• How would you bootstrap a product that helps people find apartments and how would you differentiate it from existing competitors?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Phone interview with a recruiter, then two in-person interviews to assess "product instincts" and "execution." One interviewer was rude and kept interrupting me as he was questioning me, then when I asked him about how Facebook handles complex cross-functional projects, looked like he was ready to cry. "It's total chaos," he told me.

The other interviewer was totally disengaged, and, although I had been guided to treat the interview as a "brainstorming session," she simply wouldn't give me any back-and-forth. I asked questions, she refused to answer. I tried to clarify points, she simply said, "what do you think?" I came away convinced that the interview is focused on testing candidates who have very little real-world experience, and therefore can't give examples of real situations in which they've had to use their product instincts or execute under tough conditions. Consequently, the questions focus on hypotheticals that don't provide an accurate picture of a candidate's skills, and, in fact, provide a warped picture of an experienced candidate who is accustomed to working with facts and real situations.

I know that Facebook thinks they're very "data driven" about this hiring process, but I think they've headed down the wrong path for more senior PM candidates (I have 15 years of product management experience).

After the interview, I didn't receive any call back from the recruiter. I didn't pursue it, because the negative experience I had led me to conclude that I don't want to work there. But, the lack of follow-up isn't a particularly good sign either.

Interview Questions

• Build a birthday app for Facebook.   4 Answers

Facebook Response

Jun 6, 2016 – Your Friends at Facebook

We're sorry to hear about your negative experience with our interviewers and for the lack of follow-up from our recruiter. Every candidate moment matters to us, and we'll leverage this feedback to ... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter. Did a phone screen with the re recruiter, followed by a 45 minute Product Sense and 45 minute Product Execution Interview. My recruiter helped me prep for the interview beforehand.

The questions are very open ended and ambiguous. Ask a lot of clarifying questions and break down a big problem in a structured way. I had a lot of back and forth dialog with my interviewers.

I didn't make it but it wasn't for want of preparing or of any unfairness on the part of my interviewers.

Interview Questions

• Product Sense -
      As a PM on the Facebook Birthdays team, how would you make it better?
      What do you dislike about a Facebook feature of your choice?

Product Execution -
      Tested for understanding of product metrics
      Asked to compare pros/cons of a product decision (big picture question)
      Describe a Facebook Product that I use and how I would make it better.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I thought the questions asked were fair. I liked how you got 2 interviews and that it wasn't just based on 1 person's assessment. The interviewers were very nice and patient. It wasn't just 1 or 2 questions, I felt like there were many that somehow all related to one another. I was supposed to get 2 different types of interviews, but in all honesty, it felt like they were both the same - the focus is on product, of course, and knowing the data to support your decisions.

Interview Questions

• [Product] is in trouble, numbers are down. How would you improve it?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

This was for the Rotational Product Manager Position:

I applied through a company referral which really helps your application if you can get someone. Also Facebook employees who refer a new hire are compensated if you end up getting the job ($5000 for RPMs). So reach out to friends you have who work here.

For RPMs Facebook is looking for how you think about problems. Most RPM hires are right out of college and don't have any product management experience so don't feel overwhelmed. You just need to very clearly communicate how you break down problems and why you are a good fit for Facebook's mission.

Facebook recruiters are very clear beforehand about the questions to allow you to prepare. Use this time to prepare! They expect very specific personal experiences which is why they let you in early on what questions will be asked. You won't be surprised by questions in any of the interviews if you have already thought through what you want to communicate.

Phone Interviews:
    1. Product Sense - Talked about an app that I like and design decisions I thought made the app special. Also was asked about one of my side projects and explained a design decision I made. I would stress in this interview that you are empathetic about user needs. That seems to be what they are looking for

2. Execution - Was asked a bunch of hypothetical questions "How would you double group joins in 3mo if we gave you a team of 5 engineers." Stress here that you are data driven, use cohort analysis and break users up to prioritize different strategies.

On Campus Interviews:
    (These interview orders vary by candidate so the exact order may be different)
    1. Execution - You will be asked how you get things done when you don't have ample resources. You'll be asked to solve a problem you don't understand. Hint: Ask clarifying questions! Show that you are a doer and understand how to prioritize multiple approaches.

2. Leadership - What they really want to see here is how you interact with people. You should talk about a time when you inspired a group to do something. You should think through how you would handle all types of conflicts.

3. Product Sense - This interview has the most variation across candidates. You will definitely be asked about a product you like similar to your phone interview. Beyond that the interviewer might ask you anything from a hypothetical feature question to a very specific design scenario they ended up in through their position. Try to stress here that you are empathetic toward users, and aren't afraid to admit when you don't know something.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with someone who fundamentally disagreed with what you told them to do.   1 Answer