Facebook Product Specialist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Facebook Product Specialist Interview Questions

Updated May 22, 2017

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Recruiter reach out over LinkedIn, recruiter phone screen, phone interview and then onsite interviews. Similar experience as what's been described already. I had a negative experience as I had absolutely no follow up after going on site - not one email or call. I did try and follow up with the recruiter too. The interviews themselves were very easy - you don't need to prep much. Seems like you'd have a better experience when knowing someone on the inside. Otherwise you're basically in a random pool; virtually a lottery system.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Product Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

By far the most challenging interview I've ever experienced. Started with an easy phone screen, then a video interview with two current product specialists. Started with behavioral questions, then two case studies.

Interview Questions

• The second case study was based on a non facebook product of your choosing.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

Others here have had much shorter processes, but mine went like this:

1. Employee referral. Recruiter got back to me within a day or two to set up an initial call, which was a few days later.

2. Initial phone screen. This was very basic. Simple questions you'd expect at basically any interview, with no skills assessment at all - just behavioral questions. At the end of the interview I'd clearly passed because we went ahead and scheduled the second round (I think this is the general "perk" that an internal referral gets you), which was a week and a half later.

3. Video conference with a PM and another Product Specialist. Started with a lot of behavioral and why Facebook questions, and then a very short case study exercise. If you brush up on product development, the case study will be a breeze. Obviously I'm under NDA, but at least for my video conference, there were no curveballs. Be prepared to discuss your interaction with other technologies and apps in Facebook-adjacent spaces. Within a few hours of the video conference, the recruiter got back to me and we scheduled the onsite for a week and a half after that.

4. Onsite with two Product Specialists and a higher level Manager (above PMs I believe). I had a quick call with the recruiter two days before to talk about logistics and format. Though your recruiter obviously can't tell you much, you should ask as many questions here as possible! The interview was in three distinct parts: the first was about general product and market knowledge, the second was about workflow and problem solving, and the third was behavioral. My best advice is to study the job description line by line. I had no product development experience, but I studied hard for the interview and did well. The interview was tough, though - especially if you don't get a good interviewer, so you're more "on the spot." Have a lot of stories prepared for the behavioral interview, and definitely be sure to ask and think up insightful questions.

4.5. Hiring manager phone screen. One of the folks I was supposed to meet with at my onsite wasn't there, so we had a video conference a few days after the onsite. Again, the interview was pretty standard, definitely be prepared to talk about how you fit in with Facebook's mission. The toughie is really the onsite, not this one.

5. Reference check. A few days later, the recruiter told me that they would be checking my references and that they planned to make an offer presuming I "passed" the reference check.

6. Offer. In my case this was about a week and a half after initial contact about references.

Interview Questions

• NDA. Definitely be prepared to talk about how you interact with Facebook, Facebook's mission, product development, your work style, and projects you've worked on in the past.   Answer Question

Product Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook in June 2015.

Interview

I had previously interviewed for another position at Facebook, and when I was not selected, the recruiter for that position was nice enough to forward my resume to others on her team, hence how I got an interview for the product specialist position. After a very brief phone screen with the recruiter, the next step of the interview process was a video interview with 2 current product specialists.

Interview Questions

• Favorite Facebook feature and how you would change it. Favorite non-Facebook product or service and what you like about it/ what you would change.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

The entire process took 4 weeks from applying to getting an offer.
    The initial step was a twenty minute conversation with the recruiter to see if you fit the role. From there a video conference was set up with two prospective teammates. The video interview was roughly 1.5 hours. It was a mixture of your intent to work at Facebook, behavioral questions, case-studies and getting to really know you and how well you'd work with others. It felt more conversational.

After this round, an onsite interview was scheduled where I went through 3 rounds of individual 1:1 interviews (30-45 minutes each). They asked a lot of case studies after getting to know you a bit. While I can't disclose exact examples, the questions they asked were very much aligned with what the position described (so review the responsibilities and anticipate the kind of issues you'd face in line with Facebook). When you get to this stage, you just have to really use your experience in problem solving to demonstrate how you would get past difficulties and problems that arise. They were all very encouraging so once you get two or three sentences in, the ideas started bouncing off one another.

I reviewed Glassdoor over and over again and it was extremely helpful. I'm attributing the feedback given by everyone here to me acquiring the position.

Interview Questions

• This was a recurring question throughout the entire interview stage:
      What is one or two of your favorite features and how would you improve it?
      1 Answer

Product Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in April 2015.

Interview

Screened by phone via HR. HR deemed my skillset was good for the job.

A week later I was scheduled to interview via video conference with two employees. One of them was a prospective teammate, the other was a prospective manager. The original interview was slated with a person of a different name. This was changed without notice and another employee joined instead. One interviewer attended on time, the other interviewer joined ten minutes later.

The interview was straight forward. They asked questions revolving around product Q&A and specific cases. The interviewers appeared interested in the answers and typically followed up with questions about my responses. The non-manager seemed to be directing most of the interview.

Finally, they began a few behavioral questions. The questions were pretty cliche. For example: "How would your friends describe you?" was a question. To be honest, this question is a waste of time. The interview went downhill from here.

At the end I asked questions about the culture. The culture in this specific team seems very straight-out-of-college and campy since it's primarily a operations/support role.

At the end, I asked the HR rep if I could send them a thank you note. She said it wasn't allowed.

I got an e-mail the next week saying that they would not be moving forward. I replied to see if any feedback had been given and got no reply.

Overall, it wasn't a bad experience, but it's always nice to have some feedback for self-improvement, particularly if you get past the screening part.

Product Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Twenty minute phone interview with the recruiter. Basic questions like "why do you want to work for facebook", and "what's your favorite facebook feature". Next was a one hour video conference interview with product specialists and product managers. Mostly case studies and scenarios. They also asked what product I was most proud to build (quad dome for burning man), challenges I faced at my previous jobs and how I overcame them.

Interview Questions

• When you release a new app, how would you find bugs or pinpoint enhancements.   1 Answer

Product Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Facebook in December 2014.

Interview

I was referred by a former colleague who works here. I went through 5 rounds in this order: HR Screen, Hiring Manager Call, Conference Call/Group Phone Interview, On-Site, Final Call (Hiring Manager). All interviewers were incredibly professional and excited to speak with me. I interviewed with 4 people on-site, each one at a time for a half hour. Interviews were all very thorough and challenging, but conversational and encouraging. There were a number of case studies mixed in with behavioural questions.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They gave me more than I requested (total compensation)

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

The process involves a phone screen with a recruiter, a video interview with two Product Specialist employees, and an onsite interview with several more product specialist employees. The process moves very quickly at each step, which is nice so you're not waiting forever to hear back. The interviews are pretty tough, so you should definitely do your homework!

Interview Questions

• Interviewers really want to know about your analytical abilities, your knowledge/passion for Facebook, your product knowledge (in a general sense) and your ability to advocate.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Obviously you should negotiate!

Product Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in November 2013.

Interview

The hiring and interview process went smoothly. I applied online, and I hiring manager got in contact with me via email to set up a phone screening. She asked typical questions about my background and about fb specifically (e.g., what feature did I like the best, favorite mobile app, etc.). She then sent me a challenge to work on and complete within the next week. I passed the challenge, and then set up a call with a member of the team. He asked a lot of open ended questions about how you would prioritize issues at work to what is your dream job. They want to see if you are innovative and a big thinker, but that you also have the background to succeed at the position.