Facebook Production Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 13, 2018

3.4

87 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Production Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

I took the first coding interview last week. The coding was easy. Convert a sentence to goat latin which has been mentioned a lot by others. The second question is to count the pair of elements in an integer array based on some selection constraints.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA) in December 2017.

Interview

Recruiter Call, Coding Interview (phone w/ coderpad), Systems Interview (phone w/ coderpad), in-person all-day.

Got to the third round and no further. Questions are impractical and you are expected to have knowledge that only matters in an academic setting. Interview process probably loses a lot of good candidates because they expect you to cram for the interview like some kind of exam.

If you're not a recent CS grad, the systems questions are probably going to end your interview- they basically expect that you've taken an Operating Systems course within the last few years, and it's very hard for a working professional to cram for such a broad exam within the time given.

Interview Questions

• Math-based coding questions with no possible real-life application.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in November 2017.

Interview

2 phone interviews, 3 onsite interviews.
    Rejected the next day morning.
    The questions were relatively easy: standard coding and systems/linux questions.
    I answered them with optimal solutions within the given time, yet I received a rejection right the next day.
    I have no idea what they're looking for.

Production Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook in November 2017.

Interview

I applied Software Engineer position but received email from HR regarding interviews of this position. I had a quiz at first about commands of Linux. In the first round, I received two coding problems. Not hard.
    The second round is system interview. It's more like discussion. A lot of question about linux troubleshooting.
    Both rounds had no behavior questions even no self- introduction. Just directly solve the problems.

Interview Questions

• Given output of command vmstat and analyze the system.   Answer Question
    • Send packets to remote machines and try to upgrade the packet remotely. Troubleshooting why some of the machines are not updated.   Answer Question

Production Engineer Interview

Interview

Got reached out to by a recruiter who set up a phone call to discuss the position. After that an algorithm round was established, and then a systems round. The algorithm round was quite standard and not too hard, but the topics that were recommended to study for the systems round were much too broad as in actuality, the interviewer focused on asking very small specifics that were impossible to study for given the time span.

Other than that, the recruiter was very friendly and the process was very fast, but the process was disappointing at the end.

Production Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

It was very nice. I interviewed with them in person, and they got back to me in a timely manner. The interviewer was very polite and helped me through solving the problem we had.

Interview Questions

• Given a list of words, create a master list that has sublists that contain anagrams.   Answer Question

Production Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in October 2017.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me on LinkedIn and was extremely professional and helpful. 4 round interview process, recruiter, coding, systems (programming), and on site. Dropped out in phase 3.

They describe phase 3 as a "systems interview", but it's extremely low level. Swap management, server flags, process management. A recommendation for a book called "The Linux Programming Interface."

Production Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA) in October 2017.

Interview

Applied with a recruiter at university, was given multiple choice unix commands / linux knowledge exam. Given second round question to answer, more swe/algo/database, answered it in most efficient time, did not get. Possibly due to quotas.

Interview Questions

• Simple comparison between numbers given constraints see how many comparisons are true.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA) in October 2017.

Interview

Two PS, then on site with five people loop.
    Coding, design, Linux, Network and soft skills.
    Each area are both check your knowledge breath and depth.
    Recruiter real helpful on preparing, they provide detailed guidance and help me prepare the interview.
    On-site experience is great, nice people and hard questions though.

Interview Questions

• Linux kernel, Network deep dive, distributed system design   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA) in September 2017.

Interview

Two phone screens (one on software dev, the other on systems topics) using coderpad.io, then an all day on-site made up 5 interviews (software dev again, systems again, design, networking, and a general fit interview). Each interview is about 45 minutes long, and generally they wrap up a few minutes early to give you time to ask any questions you might have.

A common theme in the interviews is that they will tweak the requirements a little bit to see how you handle change or make some suggestions to see what you do with feedback. The problems themselves aren't especially difficult as they have to be solved (usually twice) in under 45 mins, and they are also used to gauge how well you work with others and if you can quickly find other solutions.

Finally, I have to give a big shout out to the recruiting team at FB. The process was extremely well organized, at not point did I feel like I was imposing on anyone I talked to, and I feel like everyone wanted to give me a fair shot. The recruiters did an excellent job of letting me know what to expect and following up with feedback after each step of the process. This was the least stressful and most enjoyable interview I've been to for a large company.

Interview Questions

• What happens during the boot process from the moment you turn on the machine until you get a login prompt?   1 Answer