Facebook Production Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Facebook Production Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 12, 2017

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Facebook (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

Their HR dept contacted me. First step was doing a phone interview with their HR dept, nothing intense. Second step was to do a code test. Spent 45 min while Facebook look at what you're writing. Did a coding challenge but there no way for you to test/complie your code. They assumed you know the correct syntax, etc.

Interview Questions

• In IPv6 what is the A record equivalent?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Production Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Recruiter was very friendly and accommodating. They seemed like they really cared about getting the interview scheduled. First interview was a phone call about 15-20 mins, just a get to know you and see if you're a good fit for the company. After that they schedule the other technical interviews which is about 45 mins and consists of a coding session.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Los Angeles, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

I made it to the 2nd of 4 interviews. Both of my interviewers were extremely polite and professional. The first interview was a phone screening from a recruiter, which also included around 10 Linux sysadmin/networking questions (What command would you use to do _____?). The second interview was a coding test. I was asked to write code to accomplish two different tasks. The interviewer was very helpful in giving me suggestions when I would get stuck.

Interview Questions

• What is the default signal that is generated when sending a kill command to a process in Linux?   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

I was shocked by how unprofessional the process was. My recruiter from the beginning was super flaky. They would not call me when they said they would and then call at completely random times catching me off guard. I appreciated that they tried to help me prepare for interviews, though, which they don't really "have" to do. Then, after the on site, they basically told me I had to commit to coming to Facebook before I would receive an offer. It basically seemed like the recruiter didn't want to go through the effort of filling out paper work if I wasn't going to come. This was pretty shocking after having spent a month jumping through all the hoops and spending basically a whole day on their campus for interviews. I was already leaning slightly toward another company and that really clinched my decision. Then when I told the recruiter I wasn't going to come they got really aggressive contacting me repeatedly over call/text/email trying to get me to change my mind. Still without giving me anything in writing! I was so shocked that a company with the reputation Facebook had would operate that way.

Facebook Response

Jun 6, 2016 – Your Friends at Facebook

Thank you for recently interviewing with our team. We're sorry to hear that you did not receive the best possible interview experience with our team. We'll take your feedback and work to improve the ... More

Production Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Got a call for 4 rounds of Interview 1st normal telephonic, 2nd coding challenge, 3rd will be my systems round and I am crossing finger for Menlo Park. In the first telephonic interview asked basic questions on networking and linux to check wether I have strong knowledge in both of those to proceed farther, then there were 2 coding challenges which I believe I did good and currently am looking forward for third round.

Interview Questions

• They asked about Coding and tested knowledge on linux systems   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

I was referred by a former colleague, and was immediately contacted by the recruiter, who was extremely nice. He asked 20 basic questions involving coding, networking and systems. Then there were 3 phone interviews, each technical, consisting of coding, systems, and networking.

The coding interview was straight forward and it was clear that this was a skill that is necessary, but not as important as the others.

The systems interview was where I personally had the biggest issue. Not because of the material, but because of the content, and interviewer. The interviewer was the stereotypical Silicon Valley Nerd bully who even warned me before we started that he comes of "a little d*uchey." The moment he said that I knew that the interview was not going to go well. He would not clarify ANY of his questions, he would assume that my sub questions revealed lack of understanding or knowledge. The questions were ridiculous, down to how certain flag options affect the output of certain commands. I understand that a production engineer must know these details, but it is extremely stupid and unrealistic to think that these details cannot be looked up.

Long story short, I feel like they didnt even test how much I actually knew about how Linux actually works, just how to look for certain arcane items that vary from distro to distro.

Following this disaster, I was informed by the recruiter that they were "not able to offer me the position", as well as "not able to share feedback." Very bitter taste in someones mouth that had been studying and preparing for weeks, sometimes at the expense of my current job, just to be told "no" with zero accountability as to why.

Oh wait, but there is more. After a long weekend of sadness and self reflection, I was called again by the recruiter, to say that "they actually want to continue the process to the networking interview, due to the fact that there are many PE teams that deal a lot more with networking than with systems." Naturally, I was ecstatic, seeing as how I am currently in the networking field, and would be able to crush any interview regarding networking.

The networking interview came along, which I aced completely. I was contacted the next day, told that they were "not able to offer me the position" and "not able to share feedback"... again. Very weird and ridiculous considering the fact that they called me specifically to test my networking knowledge, only to ask super basic networking questions, have me get them right, then tell me no, and waste yet another week of my time and energy.

The Recruiter at facebook was fantastic, the overall experience was not. All of the interviewers were fantastic, except for the systems one. All it takes is one egomaniac that thinks only the worthy should have the chance to work alongside them.

Big attractive companies get away with lack of accountability in the interview process, and literally do not care at all about providing legitimate reasons as to why they think you cant do a job that you know you can do.

Interview Questions

• 20 questions

coding - counting things in a logfile, basic algorithms

systems - literally know every single detail of what could arise in a system and how to fix it exactly, hope and pray they ask you something that you have memorized

networking - super basic, whats your favorite protocol. questions about DNS
      Answer Question

Facebook Response

Jun 6, 2016 – Your Friends at Facebook

Thanks for sharing your feedback. We're so sorry to hear about your interview experience. Every candidate moment matters to us and we'll leverage this feedback to improve our experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Albuquerque, NM) in March 2016.

Interview

4 total interviews, Phone, coding, systems, onsite. I made it through the first phone interview and the coding interview, the systems stuff was really what got me, they asked a lot of hard questions and were very serious about making sure their hires knew linux inside and out.

Interview Questions

• Common port names for different networking services.   1 Answer

Production Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in March 2016.

Interview

It's very straight forwards, after chatting with HR. There are two rounds phone interview, which are focus on coding and system, respectively. And finally it's the on-site interview. I reached the system interview and failed. The whole process can move forward fast and slow, which depends on the candidate's requirement.

Interview Questions

• Coding is the basic algorithm coding challenging. System interview will ask more details questions regarding with Linux and networking, like what happens when you typed 'ls' in the terminal.   1 Answer

Production Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Everyone I interacted with was ridiculously pleasant and loved working there. I never had interest in applying to Facebook but a friend who works there encouraged me and referred me. Everything I read on this website is pretty applicable. 1) Call with recruiter, who asks you 10-12 general Linux questions (I did so-so). 2) Online programming interview (nailed it) 3) Over the phone sysadmin interview (I did poorly)

Interview Questions

• I suggest getting acquainted with Linux system administration. The questions they asked me were not very difficult but unfortunately they highlighted gaps in my knowledge. I suggest studying well-before you even apply, unless you really know your stuff.   Answer Question

Production Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in January 2016.

Interview

Possibly the best recruiting I have ever encountered. The feedback and knowing if you passed to the next round literally took them a day or even the same day! The recruiter was so resourceful and really cared. I would get calls to see how I am doing in prepping and basically for each round she would go over what i should focus on. As far as the interview goes, know your data structures(not just what they are, but how and when to use them for a given problem, I needed to use it twice in different interviews here). In addition, not sure if it is just for PE's but you basically need to know some sort of scripting(preferably both shell and some other like python,php or perl) I dont think some of the questions will be solved easily with out them. Lastly, for the systems rounds(you will have 2(1 phone and 1 onsite) KNOW your basic troubleshooting tools, linux command line, filesystem(for unix/linux based, like what goes where, knowing this will help for some sort of troubleshooting). Also try to solve questions like what to do when some is wrong type of questions. scoutapp's articles for tools was helpful for knowing some troubleshooting.
    Recruiter recommended a bunch for the coding, my favorite was leetcode. Careercup is good as well. Plus check more on glassdoor too, it especially helped for the first phone screen.

Whatever the end outcome you will learn a lot from the experience. If anything you should be well off for other interviews after having to go through this process. Happy Interviewing:)