Facebook Production Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 23, 2017

3.4

68 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Production Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook in July 2017.

Interview

The interview process was fairly simple. HR is pretty quick and responsive to emails. In the beginning, I got a call from HR, which included some technical screening (linux, networking etc.) , following which I was scheduled for a coding interview.
Their coding interview is not crazy, it is focussed on performance and efficiency (please be thorough with complexity analysis). HR provides you with proper material for preparation.

During my coding interview, it appeared like my interviewer was a bit impatient (when I tried talking aloud my approach while programming) and at times I also had difficulty following him as well (I tried level best in keeping up and clarifying). Overall I thought I had done well with the coding interview because one of the questions involved around "battleship" which I clarified I am just familiar with, but I think I was still able to get something working as a solution. I did hear back from HR, as they decided not to proceed further (as they had better candidates). I thought I did stutter and feel nervous at one point, which may have made the interviewer a bit impatient. So my advice, be confident, clarify and also pray that you find a patient interviewer.

Interview Questions

• Linux internals, networking, basics (HR Screening), Standard coding interview questions   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Production Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Initial phone conversation with the recruiter, phone interview with a leader, technical phone interview, a day of on-site interviews that covered various technical and non-technical topics, including a code interview (coding on the whiteboard). The recruiter did an excellent job of making sure I was well-prepared as to what to expect. Don't feel like there were any attempts to "trick" or "surprise" me, it was all about making sure I was set up to be comfortable - felt like they want you to be successful.

Interview Questions

• With very little detailed information, how would you approach tackling a performance problem in a web application (i.e., step through your thought process of what steps you would take, information you would seek, etc.).   Answer Question

Production Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Initial HR Screen with Basic Linux INTERNALS Questions (10 - 15 questions) - most of the questions already available on glassdoor.

IF you clear the HR round, you will be given the material to prepare for the subsequent rounds.... a wide variety of topics covering (way too many) everything that is going to be asked during the interview.

But the truth is................................... that it is too late to prepare ( if u have 3-5 days to go for the next round.)..............all of it ....................... if you already don't have a solid foundation of OS concepts and Algorithms.

If you are 4-6 months out from graduating ..............( YES !!! THEY ARE HIRING NEW GRADS FOR THIS ROLE..!!! ).............and there is a possibility of getting an interview(referral) for this position ., read the above paragraph again.

Systems round

They will ask you Linux questions .........till you feel.... you are out of your depth e. - an in-depth KNOWLEDGE OF LINUX INTERNALs is minimum criteria to clear this round.

Pick up a Linux Kernel book.... (own it.)........ and have an Overview of Performance related commands( Truth --- >> know each parameter( if it changes(increase/decrease) and how it affects performance( This is where i failed) ---- )

Last minute preparation
     Study the Entire Linux kernel and Performance related commands for 10-15 days before the interview.

Try to understand how web farms(servers) are maintained.... Expect some very vague problem statements( troubleshooting question). Be ready for a set of large scale (Web scale) troubleshooting related questions. .... they just want to examine your approach, (there are no right or wrong answers).................. ( For Vague problem statements---- >> ask questions or better state your assumptions but keep the flow. Its key.

Programming Round:

If you are not new to coding... this should be straight forward.

if you are new......... 3-4 weeks on hacker rank and algorithms basics( arrays, stacks, sorting) and you might get lucky.

Interview Questions

• Linux Performance commands..... ( Well the engineer spent ...15 mins on one command.. )

Know Kernel to the CPU interrupt level...   1 Answer

Production Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Facebook in April 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter over Linkedin. I went through a basic a HR phone screen with a few easy Linux/networking questions. I then had a programming interview where I was given two prompts to answer in 45 minutes. You could use any language and they were fairly straightforward. The first interviewer was very pleasant and quick. The second didn't say much and then described the job to me.

Interview Questions

• Name three states a process can be in.   2 Answers

Production Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

FB contacted me to ask me to chat with them about their PE role. I contacted them a few years ago, and said that the interview process was too aimed at jr engineers for me. They assured me they had changed the initial tech questions, but they were about the same. These questions would be cake for someone who just finished their BA degree, but silly for someone who's 10-15 years into their career and mostly focused on automation. There were no questions about coding, automation, writing sql queries or config management, they were all on linux basics or networking. They turned me down on the call for the position, and suggested I spend less time automating and more time focusing on stuff far below my skill level. Complete waste of my time, and mildly insulting. They really need a second set of much harder questions for more sr engineers.

Interview Questions

• Where is the dns file located?   2 Answers
    • What signal do you send a service to end it?   1 Answer
    • What is the type of record that resolves urls to ip records?   2 Answers
    • Under ps, what are three states that a service can be in?   1 Answer
    • Out of the 5-6 states you can find under ps, which two takes up system memory?   1 Answer
    • If 0 is STDIN and 1 is STDOUT, what's 2?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Facebook (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

Their HR dept contacted me. First step was doing a phone interview with their HR dept, nothing intense. Second step was to do a code test. Spent 45 min while Facebook look at what you're writing. Did a coding challenge but there no way for you to test/complie your code. They assumed you know the correct syntax, etc.

Interview Questions

• In IPv6 what is the A record equivalent?   3 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me via linkedin. I went through 3 phone interviews (one easy 10 minutes screening by the recruiter and two 45 minutes harder and more in depth) and 5 in person interviews (all 45 minutes each).

Interview Questions

• Questions usually start very general but quickly go very in depth. Know TCP/IP, BigO, kernel internals, etc. Try to think at big scale.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Easier to negotiate if you already have another offer from another competing company and if you did well in the interviews.

Production Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Recruiter was very friendly and accommodating. They seemed like they really cared about getting the interview scheduled. First interview was a phone call about 15-20 mins, just a get to know you and see if you're a good fit for the company. After that they schedule the other technical interviews which is about 45 mins and consists of a coding session.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Los Angeles, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

I made it to the 2nd of 4 interviews. Both of my interviewers were extremely polite and professional. The first interview was a phone screening from a recruiter, which also included around 10 Linux sysadmin/networking questions (What command would you use to do _____?). The second interview was a coding test. I was asked to write code to accomplish two different tasks. The interviewer was very helpful in giving me suggestions when I would get stuck.

Interview Questions

• What is the default signal that is generated when sending a kill command to a process in Linux?   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

I was shocked by how unprofessional the process was. My recruiter from the beginning was super flaky. They would not call me when they said they would and then call at completely random times catching me off guard. I appreciated that they tried to help me prepare for interviews, though, which they don't really "have" to do. Then, after the on site, they basically told me I had to commit to coming to Facebook before I would receive an offer. It basically seemed like the recruiter didn't want to go through the effort of filling out paper work if I wasn't going to come. This was pretty shocking after having spent a month jumping through all the hoops and spending basically a whole day on their campus for interviews. I was already leaning slightly toward another company and that really clinched my decision. Then when I told the recruiter I wasn't going to come they got really aggressive contacting me repeatedly over call/text/email trying to get me to change my mind. Still without giving me anything in writing! I was so shocked that a company with the reputation Facebook had would operate that way.

Facebook Response

Jun 6, 2016 – Your Friends at Facebook

Thank you for recently interviewing with our team. We're sorry to hear that you did not receive the best possible interview experience with our team. We'll take your feedback and work to improve the... More