Facebook Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 16, 2017

3.3

740 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online in late December and then spoke to a recruiter for about 15 minutes in early January. I was scheduled for an in-person interview in mid January where I interviewed with one data scientist in a 1:1 interview for an hour for the first round. Another recruiter then called me for a 30 minute prep for the 2nd round. The final, 2nd round interview was about 5 weeks later in late February, with 6 data scientists over 4 hours in the afternoon. I got an offer but it was for a lot less than I was expecting, and we couldn't bridge the gap enough for it to be worth it.

Everyone seemed relatively nice, although I could tell that a lot of the questions are really designed to trip you up, like they want you to miss some detail or edge case. My advice would be to pay attention to every little bit of minutiae regarding the question, make sure you're staying on task, write on the whiteboard, and explain your thoughts. Industry word is that data science at Facebook is not what it once was and is more of a product data analyst role now, so make sure you're really into Facebook products because that's what you'll be analyzing.

Also, I didn't get a single question about dice, cards, or any other brain teaser type questions. All these mentions of NDAs are missing the point of Glassdoor, people can be a little more verbose than "various questions". You can't trademark an interview question or claim it's a trade secret.

Interview Questions

• How would you measure the health of Mentions, Facebook's app for celebrities? How can FB determine if it's worth it to keep using it?

If a celebrity starts to use Mentions and begins interacting with their fans more, what part of the increase can be attributed to a celebrity using Mentions, and what part is just a celebrity wanting to get more involved in fan engagement?   6 Answers
    • There is a table that tracks every time a user turns a feature on or off, with columns user_id, action ("on" or "off), date, and time.

How many users turned the feature on today?
      How many users have ever turned the feature on?
      In a table that tracks the status of every user every day, how would you add today's data to it?   8 Answers
    • If 70% of Facebook users on iOS use Instagram, but only 35% of Facebook users on Android use Instagram, how would you investigate the discrepancy?   5 Answers
    • How do you measure newsfeed health?   2 Answers
    • If a PM says that they want to double the number of ads in Newsfeed, how would you figure out if this is a good idea or not?   3 Answers
    • We have two options for serving ads within Newsfeed:
      1 - out of every 25 stories, one will be an ad
      2 - every story has a 4% chance of being an ad

For each option, what is the expected number of ads shown in 100 news stories?
      If we go with option 2, what is the chance a user will be shown only a single ad in 100 stories? What about no ads at all?   12 Answers
    • How do you map nicknames (Pete, Andy, Nick, Rob, etc) to real names?   3 Answers
    • Facebook sees that likes are up 10% year over year, why could this be?   4 Answers
    • How many high schools that people have listed on their profiles are real? How do we find out, and deploy at scale, a way of finding invalid schools?   4 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Standard computer science/algorithms phone screen interview.

I've been a few years in my current job, and I have decided to try the job market again. My resume is impressive, I haven't padded it in any way, I've led software projects to release on time, and I'm finding it easy to get as far as phone screens, but no further.

This isn't a criticism of Facebook itself, rather of the whole Bay Area software engineering scene - since the last time I went for interviews, there seems to be a much bigger focus on getting the initial computer science/algorithms questions correct on the first go. Miss an edge case that the interviewer brings up, you're toast. Misplace a < instead of <= in an iteration, you're toast even if you find it yourself. Take longer than 20 minutes per question, you're toast. Try to recreate from first principles an algorithm you haven't thought about since you graduated, or never, ever used in your work, you're toast.

I've interviewed many people in my current job, and never regretted recommending employment to any of them. Every single one of the people I've recommended have made mistakes in their coding tests, and every one of them managed to find the errors when I pointed out that they had made a mistake. Perhaps I have lower standards, but when I interview, I look for how the interviewee recovers from a mistake, not that they are able to regurgitate something they learned from reading over Glassdoor interview questions.

Or maybe I just come across badly on the phone. Hard to say.

To recreate the process, go to leetcode and try some of the medium/hard exercises. If you can't complete it in under 20 minutes, and you have to redo some work to cover all the edge cases on submitting the solution, you can be sure that in an interview employers will thank you for applying, praise you for your impressive resume, and tell you no thanks.

Interview Questions

• Variation of standard algorithm question. Corrected code on being given edge case. Took 25 minutes to get satisfactory answer - probably too long for the interviewer.   3 Answers
    • Second question was a dynamic program question - I knew how to find the solution but hadn't even thought of the algorithm for several years. Was unable to complete the solution in the remaining 20 minutes.   2 Answers

Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

One phone tech screen which covered both SQL and Python questions. They do the best job I've seen of hosting this tech screen / interview. They use CoderPad, and actually let you run the queries / functions. For SQL they provide a nice schema for you to reference. And for coding (python) they provide basic methods and reference materials for you to review if needed.

I did very well on the SQL Questions, which are listed below. A plus is talking through what you PLAN to do before you do it:
    - for each store show the % difference in sales between 2014 and 2015
    - % of all customers that have purchases at least 1 product
    - list all the customers that live in a state, ordered by the number of unique products they bought
    - Find the earliest born and last born customers, by gender, who have bought at least 1 product

I did not quite do as well on the python stuff. I was able to answer all of the python questions, but I received feedback that I should have talked through and thought through all the test cases they provide. So as to ensure you are working around all edge cases before starting to code. I got 3 questions, but forget the 3rd one. They two I remember were:
    - implement count_words(input_str) function which returns number of words from the input string (hint the edge cases they provide means you have to implement it manually)
    - implement count_substr(input_str, sub_str) function which returns the number of times the sub_str occurs in the input_str.

On site includes 4 interviews. 1 Lunch interview which is focused on team fit, and finding out if you are passionate about the role / company. You'll want to be able to answer questions like:
    - what product would you want to work on, why, what would you do if you worked on that project?

The other 3 on site interviews are "full stack" they focus on product sense, data modeling, SQL, data visualization, and coding (python.) You can make it into more of a conversation and it's a good thing to ask clarifying questions. You will have to write everything on a white board throughout the conversations, including data models, viz, SQL, and python functions. They will ask you to solve a specific business problem by coming up with a python function.

From a guy that didn't get the job, it was still a good experience. They do a good job of making into a much more realistic scenario instead of just a "tell me a time when...." type questions. Good luck to you!

Interview Questions

• given a list of tuples of movie watched times, find how many unique minutes of the movie did the viewer watch e.g. [(0,15),(10,25)]. The viewer watched 25 minutes of the movie.   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

First call is to get to know you as a person, see if your resume is accurate, judge your interest in the company. My recruiter was AWESOME (Facebook prioritizes this).

The second interview is where the knowledge is tested. I did well up until the last question and I floundered pretty hard. More details in the second question below.

Interview Questions

• Open ended: what do you know about Memory Management in Objective C?   1 Answer
    • Solve a Recursive function   1 Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

You gotta hang in there until they find the right fit. If the recruiter says they think they can find a spot for you- believe them! Be super honest about your workstyle and interests- they take every precaution to pair the RIGHT person with the RIGHT team so be yourself.

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

After speaking with a recruiter, I had a 45 minute technical screen with a data scientist with a few SQL/product questions. After the screen, the recruiter sends you tons of documentation about the onsite and gives you a few weeks to prepare - the documentation is fantastic and gives a great sense of the kinds of questions you'll get. Onsite consisted of 5 interviews + an hour lunch with a data scientist. The process is very well organized and structured and my recruiter was great at keeping in constant communication with me throughout the process.

Interview Questions

• Other people have covered SQL questions thoroughly - but the interview is just as heavily (if not more so) focused on product sense! Make sure you are familiar with the differences between Facebook/Instagram/Snapchat/Twitter in terms of social graphs, UX, monetization etc.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Interview

I did a phone screen, but never heard back from the recruiter. They seemed interested only in experience working on consumer software. One question was what areas of the product you are interested in. They require mobile experience to work on instagram.

Application

Interview

Don't be discouraged by all the no hires you see on glassdoor. I was really worried when I first saw the number of people who got rejected but I think there are a lot of people who got offers who are afraid to post because of the NDA.

I found the interviews fairly easy. The only prep I did was reading through glassdoor questions. (Thanks guys!) If you've ever worked with user data and SQL, you'll require minimal prep for the interview. The SQL questions were not challenging but they are very picky about syntax (i.e. missing brackets, misspelled table names) even if the general concept has already been realized.

Interview Questions

• What metric would you show small businesses if you were trying to have them sign up for Facebook Ads   1 Answer
    • Given a table of friend requests sent and friend requests received, find the user with the most friends.   1 Answer

Diversity Insights Partner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Hiring process appeared to be pretty standard with a recruiter phone screen, hiring manager screen, and onsite interviews with take home SQL test. The overall process was fairly straightforward but recruiter never followed up with candidacy update unless they were moving forward. This led to a less than desirable experience from the candidate's perspective and signaled the company didn't care as much about the candidate experience/engagement. Also didn't get enough time to ask questions of other interviewers due to them being late in the onsite interviews.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time where you received significant pushback from a stakeholder or partner you were working with.   Answer Question

Full Stack Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

After initial phone interview i passed phone coding interview (got 2 simple coding problems). Than in 2 weeks proceed with on site interview. It lasted more than 5 hours with 45 min break for lunch. Started with 2 coding sessions on whiteboard than design and architectural interviews, behavior interview with coding question and closing coding interview all with different people without any gaps between.

Interview Questions

• Graph, Array tasks for coding part   1 Answer