Facebook Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 17, 2017

3.3

492 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Standard computer science/algorithms phone screen interview.

I've been a few years in my current job, and I have decided to try the job market again. My resume is impressive, I haven't padded it in any way, I've led software projects to release on time, and I'm finding it easy to get as far as phone screens, but no further.

This isn't a criticism of Facebook itself, rather of the whole Bay Area software engineering scene - since the last time I went for interviews, there seems to be a much bigger focus on getting the initial computer science/algorithms questions correct on the first go. Miss an edge case that the interviewer brings up, you're toast. Misplace a < instead of <= in an iteration, you're toast even if you find it yourself. Take longer than 20 minutes per question, you're toast. Try to recreate from first principles an algorithm you haven't thought about since you graduated, or never, ever used in your work, you're toast.

I've interviewed many people in my current job, and never regretted recommending employment to any of them. Every single one of the people I've recommended have made mistakes in their coding tests, and every one of them managed to find the errors when I pointed out that they had made a mistake. Perhaps I have lower standards, but when I interview, I look for how the interviewee recovers from a mistake, not that they are able to regurgitate something they learned from reading over Glassdoor interview questions.

Or maybe I just come across badly on the phone. Hard to say.

To recreate the process, go to leetcode and try some of the medium/hard exercises. If you can't complete it in under 20 minutes, and you have to redo some work to cover all the edge cases on submitting the solution, you can be sure that in an interview employers will thank you for applying, praise you for your impressive resume, and tell you no thanks.

Interview Questions

• Variation of standard algorithm question. Corrected code on being given edge case. Took 25 minutes to get satisfactory answer - probably too long for the interviewer.   3 Answers
    • Second question was a dynamic program question - I knew how to find the solution but hadn't even thought of the algorithm for several years. Was unable to complete the solution in the remaining 20 minutes.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

Had a phone interview. Got the most optimal solution to the algorithms problem, refactored code, asked good questions about working at Facebook, asked them some stuff about engineering from their blog. Ended up getting a rejection the next day.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

Referred by a current employee for a new grad software engineering position. Entire process took about 4 week from initial application to decision. Had one phone screen with basic programming problems. Received invitation for onsite interview.

Attended Facebook University Day. Had 3 back to back interviews with typical medium problems you'd see on LeetCode.

Didn't receive offer, but had a great time. Practice your LeetCode, but more importantly practice talking through the problems.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

It started out pleasant with a phone screen conversation with the recruiter but then went downhill from there. They were very late for the technical phone interview. Then came the onsite. First interviewer was nice and intelligent but seemed to be expecting me to provide a very specific solution. Though what I provided was close, it looks like he wrote me off because I didn't get that exact solution. The next interviewer was a very jaded engineer who clearly didn't want to be there. Unresponsive to questions. It was very awkward and put me off in a major way. The experience interview was the only good interview in my opinion and I had a good exchange. Admittedly I was not prepared as I should have been for the system design interviews but tough luck if you aren't a big data expert or haven't worked already at a company like, well, Facebook. After a week or two the recruiter told me -- in recruiter speak of course -- that I was a terrible candidate and should think before applying again. Perhaps it's the process that needs work.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

Got approached from internal recruiter via Linkedin.
    The first interview was a phone interview with the recruiter asking typical HR related questions to gauge my interest.
    Followed with a half-day onsite (had the option to do via video call but I preferred not to) having 2 one hour interviews with product managers. The first interview was with 2 product managers (one of the them mostly listening in) and the second interview was with 1 product manager. Questions were typical whiteboarding, what-if product related scenarios which I enjoyed.
    I think I did fairly well although I was ill at the day having slept very little so I underperformed and I felt there were areas I could have done better in. I left feeling 70% positive I would move to the next stage.
    I waited for a couple of weeks to hear back but I never did so after following up with the recruiter a few times, he told me that they wouldn't proceed further and it took long for him to get back to me because it was 'close'! I had asked to receive further feedback and I never did. The recruiter never called me back (even if we tried to schedule time) and additionally when I asked 'well can you at least give me a few feedback points via email' I received nothing. Really negative experience which I didn't expect from a company like Facebook

Interview Questions

• Describe how you would build a product for people who want to save money?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

- recruiter msg linked in
    - "we love profile"
    - me happy, set time to call

-recruiter call
    -talk about background my work
    -recruiter email me
    -"which teams you like "
     -me instagram and more
     -dancing.jpg

-interview day - 45 mins call
    - interview guy call on time
    - "okay lets code"
    - me "Ok"
    -give leetcode easy
    - me happy - code in 10 min
    - iinterview guy "ok good .. is work"
    - interview guy think let me screw candidate
    - give leetcode hard
    - me think - omg u seroius wow
    - me think logic.. think to code.. ok
    - ok code.. think.. code..
    - roadrunner.jpg
    -80% code finish confirm logic work
    - interview guy "ok time up any question"
    - me ask backgroud of guy
    - ok bye thanks goodweeknd etc

- recruiter email - reject

- me wow such broke system or such hire good???

Interview Questions

• solve leetcode easy? solve leetcode hard?   1 Answer

Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

One phone tech screen which covered both SQL and Python questions. They do the best job I've seen of hosting this tech screen / interview. They use CoderPad, and actually let you run the queries / functions. For SQL they provide a nice schema for you to reference. And for coding (python) they provide basic methods and reference materials for you to review if needed.

I did very well on the SQL Questions, which are listed below. A plus is talking through what you PLAN to do before you do it:
    - for each store show the % difference in sales between 2014 and 2015
    - % of all customers that have purchases at least 1 product
    - list all the customers that live in a state, ordered by the number of unique products they bought
    - Find the earliest born and last born customers, by gender, who have bought at least 1 product

I did not quite do as well on the python stuff. I was able to answer all of the python questions, but I received feedback that I should have talked through and thought through all the test cases they provide. So as to ensure you are working around all edge cases before starting to code. I got 3 questions, but forget the 3rd one. They two I remember were:
    - implement count_words(input_str) function which returns number of words from the input string (hint the edge cases they provide means you have to implement it manually)
    - implement count_substr(input_str, sub_str) function which returns the number of times the sub_str occurs in the input_str.

On site includes 4 interviews. 1 Lunch interview which is focused on team fit, and finding out if you are passionate about the role / company. You'll want to be able to answer questions like:
    - what product would you want to work on, why, what would you do if you worked on that project?

The other 3 on site interviews are "full stack" they focus on product sense, data modeling, SQL, data visualization, and coding (python.) You can make it into more of a conversation and it's a good thing to ask clarifying questions. You will have to write everything on a white board throughout the conversations, including data models, viz, SQL, and python functions. They will ask you to solve a specific business problem by coming up with a python function.

From a guy that didn't get the job, it was still a good experience. They do a good job of making into a much more realistic scenario instead of just a "tell me a time when...." type questions. Good luck to you!

Interview Questions

• given a list of tuples of movie watched times, find how many unique minutes of the movie did the viewer watch e.g. [(0,15),(10,25)]. The viewer watched 25 minutes of the movie.   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

Got contacted through LinkedIn. The phone interview took around 45 min. The interviewer spends first 10 min in introducing and last 5 min for extra questions. That leaves 35 min for coding questions. Now in that 35 min the expectation is to code two questions without any mistakes. I was able to code the first question in around 15 min. Spent about 10 min explaining the code. I was able to get the next question and explain the optimal solution. But the time ran out and could not code the problem. I believe the expectation is to just memorize the "optimal" solutions for leetcode problems and write and explain them in a mechanical fashion.

Data Scientist, Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

First off, Facebook impressed me with their data scientist recruiting process if only because they gave out study guides so candidates know exactly what they will be tested on. That said, I'll try not to repeat what is in those guides here and walk through the process.

The interview consists of a recruiter phone screen, a virtual interview with a data scientist, and on-site interviews. My recruiter found me through LinkedIn. The initial recruiter phone screen is pretty much the only time you get the "tell me about yourself" question. Since this recruiter came somewhat out-of-blue I scheduled my virtual interview for a month after this screen and studied with the given materials.

My virtual interview with a data scientist consisted of a SQL question and thinking through how I would solve a question (determining if a conversation was happening in the comments) algorithmically. Really enjoyable interview. No statistics/math was asked during this interview.

I moved forward to the on-sites. Of the 7 employees I spoke to, 5 had a PhD, which spooked me out a little bit as a 23-year old with just an undergrad but hey they brought me to Menlo Park so I must have some potential ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. The study guide lays out the content of the interviews: two are about thinking through product questions algorithmically (no code required, just sketch out thoughts), two are SQL whiteboarding, and one is statistics.

Prior to on-sites, I spent a lot of time looking at Facebook's product/news releases and writing responses to "hmm, how would I measure if this is working?" and this basically prepped me well for the Product interviews. I froze for a long time on the first SQL interview over a small point and this essentially scuttled my chances of getting the job; my advice would be to start white boarding and not worry too much about going back if you need to change code for an edge case -- I did this for the second SQL interview and did much better. I did alright on the applied math question. Just remember how to compute expectations for a probability distribution; my particular question ended up using the geometric distribution.

I didn't get the job but I think that's OK: this position is pretty self-guided (people who excel at this position ask great questions of the data and manage time smartly without too much oversight) and you are essentially equal to the PM in driving the direction of products. Not really what I'm looking for right now early in my career but something I'll definitely revisit later on.

Interview Questions

• How can we tell if two users on Instagram are best friends?
      (answer question) Ok, how can we use this algorithm in the product?   Answer Question

Senior Software Eng Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

Recruiter contact me couple of weeks ago, asking about the role & what they looking for. Setup onsite initial screen interview (for local candidates there are choice like phone vs in-person). Person was nice, explained well what he does & what is todays process about.

Started with introduction, 2 coding questions (medium diff.) & any questions for him

My interview did went well. Was able to answer within timeframe, still didn't qualify for onsite

Interview Questions

• Very basic String & matrix question you can find on GeekForGeeks or LeetCode   Answer Question
    • 2x2 Matrix - Biggest i-Land (Hard)   Answer Question