Facebook Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 22, 2017

3.3

Software Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

First interview was a phone call with a Sr Manager, which was mostly an informational call. The full loop was of 6 interviews. 2 - system design, 2 management, 1 coding, 1 behavioural. Overall interview was well handled. One negative thing is there is no response after the interviews if you dont make it. Facebook, please close the loop even if you dont like the candidate, so the candidate gets some closure.

Interview Questions

• System design - Design a bitly/tinyurl.   Answer Question
    • System design - Design a system which takes in latitude and longitude and returns back closest 5 locations.   Answer Question
    • Coding - Max path in a tree.   Answer Question
    • Behavioural - take one project which you thought was most successful. The interviewer dives into all aspects of this project.   Answer Question

Product Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

I got through the phone screen and suggested the dates for onsite interviews. The recruiter told me I will hear them back in few days. I ended up hearing back from them after two weeks. Four days before interview. There is no call or chat before the onsite interview which is little bit strange. Recruiters would normally walk you through the process and prepare you little bit before onsite. But no, not this time!
    The onsite experience feels like total mismatch. I got talked to one user experience researcher. I did one exercise with her. We talked about design goals, process, walked through design flow. She was awesome. After lunch, I met two managers in the afternoon. One manager made me feels like he didn't want to be there since the group presentation in the morning. One manager asked me about all the questions related to interaction, as if design thinking means how good you are at remembering the interaction patterns. Look, don't get me wrong here. UX designer requires many skill sets and interaction is part of it. But interaction can't be all. There is no discussion about experience, the user needs. The only thing he cares about is interaction.
    After all, my thoughts about Facebook is their current product design is about hiring people who can utilize the pattern library and get on production quick.
    If your goal is to become a thoughtful experience designer or design for innovation, Facebook is not right place for you.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Not writing because I didn't get any offer but they should consider these facts.

Facebook you better fix Coderpad before you interview candidates.

The first interview was pretty awesome, the interviewer was really great, helpful and responding to my questions all the time.

But the second interviewer was horrible even though he is so experienced was horrible. Not responding to my questions, not clear with what he is asking, for my every question he has one answer "Leave it as it is". I wasted almost 7-10 min in finding out why output getting printed twice, finally found out that due to coderpad issue, main function was invoking twice. I completed 3 parts of a program and when 3 min left for an interview to over he asked me again one more question to complete and coderpad on his side got hanged, I tried to explain my approach but still he said his golden words: "Leave it as it is". You should really consider these things before proceeding any candidate interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

I gave them my resume at a on campus career fair. They gave me an on campus interview and after that flew me out to their Menlo Park campus for an onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• Given an array of integers find a contiguous subset that sums to a given number   1 Answer

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

First stage was phone-screening. After that, I was invited to an onsite interview at their headquarters, which was only a 45 minute 1-on-1 technical interview. The rest of the day, they took us on a tour of their campus and explained the internship to us.

Interview Questions

• Given a root note, confirm whether or not the given tree is a BST.   1 Answer
    • Given a schedule (array of start and end times) for meetings, provide an algorithm that finds the minimum number of rooms needed for the day.   Answer Question
    • Given a dictionary, store it in a way where you can implement a search function for a certain word. However, the words may have a character * that stands for any character.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me and offered a phone screen.
    The task was simple, I completed it, but didn't pass the screen. The feedback was --
    "Allocated an extra flag that wasn't needed". The flag was, actually, used, and needed.

So, they made up a reason to fail me. That is called prejudice.

Interview Questions

• Parse a string containing numbers and "+", "-" and parentheses. Evaluate the expression.
      -2+(3-5) should return -4.
      3 Answers

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I applied online and had a call with the recruiter. He then sent me a follow up email with prep material and asked me to give him 3 available times. That was 5 weeks ago and I haven't heard from him since, after sending 4 follow up emails that were opened multiple times according to my tracker.

Sourcing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

3 phases of interview; phone from Recruiter, met with hiring manager but was not selected for panel interview. Should have been more prepared and done more research to respond to expected questions for the position. Impromptu interview with peer was unexpected.

Interview Questions

• What was the most difficult experience situation with a supplier and how was it resolve. Provide an actual event in detail.   Answer Question

UX Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

There are 3 sessions. The first one is a phone interview with the recruiter. Then about a couple of weeks later, there are 2 following sessions with designers to talk about your past work and discuss a problem together.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Decided to do the phone interview onsite, interviewer was friendly and helpful, solved the question fairly easily.

Onsite was 1 behavioral, 3 coding with 2 questions each since I got through all the questions and one system design. Every coding question I had done a variation of so I aced that portion. System design wasn't hard as well, I got stuck on some follow up questions but the core of my design was fully finished at that point. I eventually got rejected due to the design portion apparently.

Interviewing here is a waste of time, you can give an almost perfect interview and still get rejected it looks like. Don't waste your time here.