Facebook Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

3.3

864 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online in late December and then spoke to a recruiter for about 15 minutes in early January. I was scheduled for an in-person interview in mid January where I interviewed with one data scientist in a 1:1 interview for an hour for the first round. Another recruiter then called me for a 30 minute prep for the 2nd round. The final, 2nd round interview was about 5 weeks later in late February, with 6 data scientists over 4 hours in the afternoon. I got an offer but it was for a lot less than I was expecting, and we couldn't bridge the gap enough for it to be worth it.

Everyone seemed relatively nice, although I could tell that a lot of the questions are really designed to trip you up, like they want you to miss some detail or edge case. My advice would be to pay attention to every little bit of minutiae regarding the question, make sure you're staying on task, write on the whiteboard, and explain your thoughts. Industry word is that data science at Facebook is not what it once was and is more of a product data analyst role now, so make sure you're really into Facebook products because that's what you'll be analyzing.

Also, I didn't get a single question about dice, cards, or any other brain teaser type questions. All these mentions of NDAs are missing the point of Glassdoor, people can be a little more verbose than "various questions". You can't trademark an interview question or claim it's a trade secret.

Interview Questions

• How would you measure the health of Mentions, Facebook's app for celebrities? How can FB determine if it's worth it to keep using it?

If a celebrity starts to use Mentions and begins interacting with their fans more, what part of the increase can be attributed to a celebrity using Mentions, and what part is just a celebrity wanting to get more involved in fan engagement?   6 Answers
    • There is a table that tracks every time a user turns a feature on or off, with columns user_id, action ("on" or "off), date, and time.

How many users turned the feature on today?
      How many users have ever turned the feature on?
      In a table that tracks the status of every user every day, how would you add today's data to it?   9 Answers
    • If 70% of Facebook users on iOS use Instagram, but only 35% of Facebook users on Android use Instagram, how would you investigate the discrepancy?   6 Answers
    • How do you measure newsfeed health?   3 Answers
    • If a PM says that they want to double the number of ads in Newsfeed, how would you figure out if this is a good idea or not?   3 Answers
    • We have two options for serving ads within Newsfeed:
      1 - out of every 25 stories, one will be an ad
      2 - every story has a 4% chance of being an ad

For each option, what is the expected number of ads shown in 100 news stories?
      If we go with option 2, what is the chance a user will be shown only a single ad in 100 stories? What about no ads at all?   12 Answers
    • How do you map nicknames (Pete, Andy, Nick, Rob, etc) to real names?   3 Answers
    • Facebook sees that likes are up 10% year over year, why could this be?   6 Answers
    • How many high schools that people have listed on their profiles are real? How do we find out, and deploy at scale, a way of finding invalid schools?   4 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

- recruiter msg linked in
    - "we love profile"
    - me happy, set time to call

-recruiter call
    -talk about background my work
    -recruiter email me
    -"which teams you like "
     -me instagram and more
     -dancing.jpg

-interview day - 45 mins call
    - interview guy call on time
    - "okay lets code"
    - me "Ok"
    -give leetcode easy
    - me happy - code in 10 min
    - iinterview guy "ok good .. is work"
    - interview guy think let me screw candidate
    - give leetcode hard
    - me think - omg u seroius wow
    - me think logic.. think to code.. ok
    - ok code.. think.. code..
    - roadrunner.jpg
    -80% code finish confirm logic work
    - interview guy "ok time up any question"
    - me ask backgroud of guy
    - ok bye thanks goodweeknd etc

- recruiter email - reject

- me wow such broke system or such hire good???

Interview Questions

• solve leetcode easy? solve leetcode hard?   2 Answers

Management Role At Instagram Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

Internal Instagram recruiter reached out to me. After an in-depth screening where I hit all the right notes, she sent my resume to the hiring manager who asked to speak with me.

There was a 30 min phone call with the hiring manager, which went really well also. At the end of the call he told the recruiter he wanted to bring me in for the formal panel interview. She prepped me extensively, explained what the hiring team was looking for and what they wanted to see in the presentation and 1:1 interviews, and started gathering information to put together the offer. I got a long email about what a wonderful process Facebook has for hiring this role. So far, we were following that process exactly.

The hiring manager invited me to an Instagram dinner at a fancy SF restaurant with about 25 others, half from Instagram and half from other companies. At the dinner, a recruiter asked my table "do any of you know why you were invited to this dinner?" We shook our heads. "Because we think you're people Instagram should get to know." Very flattering!

Then I was introduced to another manager. We hit it off and spent a good 20 minutes talking. He introduced me to the hiring manager (whom I'd had the phone interview with but never seen). The guy did a double-take when he saw me. We had a friendly conversation, though, and he said "Looking forward to your presentation" when I left.

But there was to be no presentation. I heard nothing from Instagram for about 2 weeks, then a *different* recruiter emailed to tell me that there had been a mistake, that before I could come in for the panel interview, I had to do a Webex interview with another manager. Oh, and the original recruiter I'd been working with was no longer at the company.

I agreed and after they scheduled, canceled and rescheduled that interview, I was on Webex with the same manager that I'd hit it off with at the dinner. We chatted for 30 mins about mostly nothing. Then he said, hope we talk again soon. and that was all I ever heard from Instagram. Ghosted.

My take is that they met me, saw I was over 40, and decided to walk back of the interview invitation. Gotta love Facebook's built in age bias.

Interview Questions

• What decision did you make as a manager that you later regretted?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

The onsite consisted of 5 coding problems, 2 architecture/design discussions, and 1 behavioral interview. I got 3 of the 5 coding questions right (with optimal runtime & space complexity), but that was not enough. Based on this, I'd say that prior work experience isn't really a factor. I built apps from scratch that have scaled to millions of active users, something that none of my interviewers have done on their own. But, that doesn't help you get an offer if you don't get all of the algorithms correctly.

They're looking to hire a specific profile--CS major, spent 40+ hours to prepare. This interview should be relatively easy for people like that, but very difficult for pretty much everybody else. I even asked one of the interviewers when was the last time he had to solve a problem similar to this, and he said never (haha).

Interview Questions

• I signed an NDA so I won't disclose the questions, but every algorithm I was asked to do should be on Leetcode.   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

Really disappointing experience given all the good PR Facebook gets about its employee experience. Took many months, and going onsite 4 times. The final round was 8 hours, and I was told to buy my lunch off-campus. Interviewers had overlapping questions, and half of them had not had time to prepare. They also downleveled my 10+ years of experience to 2 years of relevant experience, so the final offer was a 50% paycut from my prior company. I was told that Facebook pays 50th percentile of market and it is a misconception that they pay more.

Interview Questions

• I got asked this in 4 out of my 8 final round interviews: Why are you interested in this role?   Answer Question

Product Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in December 2017.

Interview

Started off with a recruiter email interested in my Product Design portfolio, had a 30min on call interview where the recruiter realized that I am a recent graduate and mentioned that she will connect me with a recent grad recruiter. A week later she connected me with a recent university grad recruiter, which was followed by an email questionnaire, a phone interview and 2 video conference interviews (portfolio review and app critique). Few days later I received an email confirming my onsite interview at Menlo Park. I setup the time and date and it was well coordinated by the recruitment team.

I flew from Vancouver to SF for my interview, which was all managed by the Facebook team. At this point I was being interviewed for the Ads team -- Had a 30min presentation with 6 designers, followed by a problem solving, app critique and background interview. I thoroughly enjoyed the interview process and the challenging questions which were put forward during my 1-on-1 interviews. I really liked the recruitment team and the overall product design interview experience.

It's been 3 days since my on-site interview at Menlo Park. Now I'm waiting to hear back on the next steps and final decisions. Overall, I have to say it was one of the best interview experiences I had so far.

Interview Questions

• How would you make an app that helps you decide which gift to buy?
      What does airbnb do? Why do you think they decided to change the search bar?   Answer Question

Infrastructure Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in January 2018.

Interview

Facebook is presumably one of the best companies to work for: innovative, exciting technology every day, start-up culture where everybody works hard but happy. However, from my interview experience I can tell this company is totally overrated.

First of all, their interview questions are all made up only for interview purposes. If the job is exciting and innovative, why not share some practical problems with candidates you are dealing with? What’s worse, I got asked on exactly same questions on linear regression and lasso/ridge once in phone interview and once in onsite interview. So they basically draw questions from a pool, which is not large at all.

There is a disconnect between recruiters and interviewers. In preparation of the onsite, I asked my recruiter if the questions in onsite will be of the same nature as those in phone interviews. The guy pivoted my question and recite a bunch of prepared cliche and reassured me that all I need to do is to prepare according to the email he would send to me, which I did. But the question is, the content of the email is not consistent of what actually happened in the interview! For example, the email emphasizes CS fundamentals and Geekforgeek coding questions, which are completely different from reading a csv line by line and writing functions for data manipulation.

I also mentioned to the recruiter I don’t know much about A/B testing, which seems to be a staple for analytics data scientist. The recruiter answered I need to prepare for some basic hypothesis testing. Look, as a technical recruiter working exclusively for Facebook, he doesn’t know hypothesis testing and A/B testing are different!

The onsite interviewers also showed some questionable characteristics. For example, a project manager was clueless when i mentioned Github.

The last thing I’d like to point out is the Facebook campus, which apparently they are proud of but I think, is a bit creepy, to say the least. The Facebook campus feels like a mix of college campus and Disneyland. Bookstore, arcade, arts workshop, diner, you name it. If you don’t have much social life, you can literally live there without noticing it. Stop and think about it: is this really a nice thing? No difference between life and work? Certainly it’s a great thing for Facebook.

I’ve long heard data scientists aren’t seen as valuable as software engineers at Facebook, which is probably the reason for my encounter. But one thing for sure is, Facebook is probably not as fancy as you expect.

Client Solutions Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

First I spoke with HR and then moved directly to the in-person interview. The buildings were very confusing to navigate and no one was willing to help direct me. Those that did, gave me the wrong directions and I almost missed my interview. Also, they won’t let you cut through into the building, you have to walk ALL the way around if necessary which takes 30-45min at least! Most of the interviewers were okay but there was one guy that asked a lot of SQL based and conceptual questions, who was extremely rude and did not ask the questions very well. Also, SQL was not a requirement for this position. The next interviewer gave me a case study with only 15min to prepare. I understand they want people to think on the spot but it’s not enough time for the data they provided. There was only 1 interviewer that was really sweet but the rest seemed very condescending. Also, if you don’t get the position, you never hear from them. I don’t understand how companies do that. It was overall a aterrible experience.

Interview Questions

• 1) Have you ever done joins? If so, what type of joins?
      2) What tables do you pull from?
      3) How would you effectively measure offline conversions?
      4) Case study: You have 15min to prep and then tell me how you would set up their future campaign? (With the very little data they provided)
      5) What accounts do you work on?
      6) Have you ever had any conflicts with you peers?
      7) How do you organize or prioritize your tasks?
      8) Do you work directly with clients and sales reps?   Answer Question

Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

Interview

Recruiter reached out to me on LinkedIn. Gave me enough material to prepare over a month and then scheduled a two-part phone interview (SQL and Python).

Phone interview was pretty much exactly as everyone else explained. Just focus on easy & medium complexity problems. It is fine even if you struggle on some problem, just take the hints and communicate your though process (It is tough when you have limited time).

I got the phone call from HR on the same day about the result and was invited for onsite interview. The onsite interview is like a working session with a colleague. I would say the most important skill is designing the table to get desired result followed by SQL and then python. The recruiter offered me the job 2-3 days later.

You will be given enough material at each stage, just dig into that information and keep on practicing. Try to practice on whiteboard to get comfortable with the on-site interview experience. One more advice - please do not neglect SQL even if you have a good experience on it as it becomes difficult on whiteboard.

Overall the best interview process i ever had. Everyone is really nice and want you to succeed.

Interview Questions

• Phone Interviews - covered by other interviews on glassdoor

Onsite - 3 full stack interviews and 1 lunch interview - focus on the material given by recruiter.   Answer Question

Technical Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in December 2017.

Interview

I declined to provide my current compensation to the recruiter and the recruiter could not offer a range of pay. In 2018 it will be illegal for recruiters in California to ask for current compensation and they will be required to offer a pay range when asked, so I was surprised the recruiter seemed unprepared for this in December of 2017.

The new law is meant to help to reduce the gender pay gap. The premise is that women tend to get trapped in low pay when at some point in their career they experience gender discrimination and pay rates after that are always based on former pay. I just told the recruiter I was interested in finding out my market value.

The offer came in much lower than I expected. I was stunned and ended up sharing my comp details. The recruiter suggested we go back and try to get a higher offer. I declined to pursue it. The recruiter did not offer any particular rationale to the low offer, only implied that's the result of not sharing my comp details.

They would have had to increase their offer by 45% just to meet my current comp. While it's possible my comp is on the higher end of the spectrum, it's for certain not 45% higher than average. I'm familiar with base salaries for someone like me at other companies and the Facebook offer was well below the expected range.

When I heard there was going to be an offer I never imagined I would be turning it down, but. That happened.

Low-ball offer