Facebook Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

3.3

820 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in November 2017.

Interview

Sent my resume to a recruiter and was contacted the next day to schedule an interview. Facebook was extremely quick about the whole process in keeping with their "move fast" philosophy: my first round was scheduled a week out, then I heard back within 2 business days that the company was flying me out for the final round interview. The on-site interview process was extremely organized and I had my offer before I left.

Technical Sourcer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in November 2017.

Interview

Completed phone interview flew to California. Was set up with flight and hotel. Met with recruiting team on a Saturday. Although it was an okay interview and candidate experience. I would expect more from a 100 billion dollar company. They didn’t rent me a vehicle, told me to keep my receipts, and they would reimburse me. Yet I still haven’t received any reimbursements for my expenses and it’s been over a month. So Overall an okay experience but was treated more professionally with less reputable companies who were interested in my qualifications. I would recommend they
    re-evaluate there candidate experiences. Also I wouldn’t recommend wasting your time if you didn’t graduate from an Ivy League school.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Facebook?   1 Answer

Devops Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

Facebook recruiter contacted me on linked.
    30 minutes interview with recruiter + test.
    I passed the initial test and another phone screening was scheduled.
    Second round was positive, but looked like an engineer was in rush.
    Even though I did a follow up with my recruiter he never got back to me.
    Weird company with weird employees.

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

Recruiter reached out on Linkedin, initial 15 min phone chat to understand the role, 45 min vchat first round interview with a data scientist on the team, then five 30 min interviews onsite. I communicated with quite a few recruiters as they seem to handle different steps in the interview process, they also sent very exhaustive emails for both rounds of interview for preparation. There's another 30 min call right before the onsite with a data scientist on the team as a chance for you to ask what to expect. Interview schedule was pretty flexible; waited for less than a week to hear back after the onsite.

The onsite interview itself wasn't that difficult! I'm giving it an "Average", but I'd say it's really on the "Easy" side if you studied the emails the recruiters sent you and the Glassdoor interview questions.

Specifically, the interactions with my recruiter were very positive. He was very informative, helpful, timely, and professional.

Interview Questions

• Some SQL questions with fake tables. It was kind of tricky to wrap my head around it as white boarding was quite different from writing code on your computer screen.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

Had a phone interview. Got the most optimal solution to the algorithms problem, refactored code, asked good questions about working at Facebook, asked them some stuff about engineering from their blog. Ended up getting a rejection the next day.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

Did a phone screen with them. The interviewer gave me a task which I already knew the solution for at first (find two elements in an integer array which sum up to a given number). When I pointed out that I know the solution to the problem, he gave me another one: to determine if a sequence of numbers is monotonic (i.e. ascending or non-descending). The interviewer didn't seem to understand the difference between non-decreasing and ascending sequences and it took a while to figure out the exact specification for the problem. The interviewer expected a straightforward solution which compares elements pairwise, but I came up with a more elegant one, which is based on calculating the pairwise difference and would require only a single array traversal. The interviewer didn't understand my solution and told me that he haven't seen this solution before and it wasn't the solution he was excepting. Eventually, he couldn't come up with an example where my code wouldn't work or a flaw in my reasoning.

I've got feedback that my solution wasn't the one the interview was expecting and therefore rejected.

Interview Questions

• Determine if a sequence of numbers is monotonic   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

Referred by a current employee for a new grad software engineering position. Entire process took about 4 week from initial application to decision. Had one phone screen with basic programming problems. Received invitation for onsite interview.

Attended Facebook University Day. Had 3 back to back interviews with typical medium problems you'd see on LeetCode.

Didn't receive offer, but had a great time. Practice your LeetCode, but more importantly practice talking through the problems.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

It started out pleasant with a phone screen conversation with the recruiter but then went downhill from there. They were very late for the technical phone interview, but I brushed it off as an anomaly. Then came the onsite. First interviewer was nice and intelligent but seemed to be expecting me to provide a very specific solution that he had obviously rehearsed very well. Though what I provided was close, it looks like he wrote me off because I didn't get that exact solution. The next interviewer was a very jaded engineer who clearly didn't want to be there. Unresponsive to questions. It was very awkward and put me off in a major way. The experience interview was the only good interview in my opinion and I had a good exchange. The system design interviews were somewhat unforgiving. Tough luck if you haven't worked already at a company like, well, Facebook. After more than a week, the recruiter told me -- in recruiter speak of course -- that I was a terrible candidate and should think before applying again. Perhaps it's the process that needs work.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

Got approached from internal recruiter via Linkedin.
    The first interview was a phone interview with the recruiter asking typical HR related questions to gauge my interest.
    Followed with a half-day onsite (had the option to do via video call but I preferred not to) having 2 one hour interviews with product managers. The first interview was with 2 product managers (one of the them mostly listening in) and the second interview was with 1 product manager. Questions were typical whiteboarding, what-if product related scenarios which I enjoyed.
    I think I did fairly well although I was ill at the day having slept very little so I underperformed and I felt there were areas I could have done better in. I left feeling 70% positive I would move to the next stage.
    I waited for a couple of weeks to hear back but I never did so after following up with the recruiter a few times, he told me that they wouldn't proceed further and it took long for him to get back to me because it was 'close'! I had asked to receive further feedback and I never did. The recruiter never called me back (even if we tried to schedule time) and additionally when I asked 'well can you at least give me a few feedback points via email' I received nothing. Really negative experience which I didn't expect from a company like Facebook

Interview Questions

• Describe how you would build a product for people who want to save money?   Answer Question

Data Scientist, Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

First off, Facebook impressed me with their data scientist recruiting process if only because they gave out study guides so candidates know exactly what they will be tested on. That said, I'll try not to repeat what is in those guides here and walk through the process.

The interview consists of a recruiter phone screen, a virtual interview with a data scientist, and on-site interviews. My recruiter found me through LinkedIn. The initial recruiter phone screen is pretty much the only time you get the "tell me about yourself" question. Since this recruiter came somewhat out-of-blue I scheduled my virtual interview for a month after this screen and studied with the given materials.

My virtual interview with a data scientist consisted of a SQL question and thinking through how I would solve a question (determining if a conversation was happening in the comments) algorithmically. Really enjoyable interview. No statistics/math was asked during this interview.

I moved forward to the on-sites. Of the 7 employees I spoke to, 5 had a PhD, which spooked me out a little bit as a 23-year old with just an undergrad but hey they brought me to Menlo Park so I must have some potential ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. The study guide lays out the content of the interviews: two are about thinking through product questions algorithmically (no code required, just sketch out thoughts), two are SQL whiteboarding, and one is statistics.

Prior to on-sites, I spent a lot of time looking at Facebook's product/news releases and writing responses to "hmm, how would I measure if this is working?" and this basically prepped me well for the Product interviews. I froze for a long time on the first SQL interview over a small point and this essentially scuttled my chances of getting the job; my advice would be to start white boarding and not worry too much about going back if you need to change code for an edge case -- I did this for the second SQL interview and did much better. I did alright on the applied math question. Just remember how to compute expectations for a probability distribution; my particular question ended up using the geometric distribution.

I didn't get the job but I think that's OK: this position is pretty self-guided (people who excel at this position ask great questions of the data and manage time smartly without too much oversight) and you are essentially equal to the PM in driving the direction of products. Not really what I'm looking for right now early in my career but something I'll definitely revisit later on.

Interview Questions

• How can we tell if two users on Instagram are best friends?
      (answer question) Ok, how can we use this algorithm in the product?   Answer Question