Facebook Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 23, 2017

3.3

719 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a Facebook recruiter via LinkedIn and within a few days had non-technical 30 minute phone interview, after which we scheduled a first technical interview that could be done in person or over the phone. Since I live in the area I opted to do it in person at the Menlo Park facility. The recruiter supplied me with links to several sources of preparation materials, and asked for dates which I might be ready for my first technical interview. I opted for a date two weeks from the phone screening.

On the day of the interview I was greeted at Facebook by the recruiter, who showed me around the campus, which consists of 16+ buildings and has lots of amenities. The recruiter brought me to a small meeting room with two whiteboards and a few minutes later the interviewer showed up, accompanied by an observer. The first thing they did was ask me about any current projects I'm working on, and about the tech stack I use. After talking about that for a few minutes they presented me with a coding problem, which I could do in a language of my choice.

I have not done many of the typical coding challenge problems you might see on LeetCode or similar sites. I was relying on experience and my ability to work through a problem. I read somewhere that interviewers care more about how you approach a problem than how well you can churn out memorized material, so I thought I'd be better off focusing on my overall approach and communication skills. In that regard I think I did well but after reading some other reviews, perhaps I worked too slowly and could have benefitted from doing more of those more academic coding exercises. I was given one problem and took the whole 45ish minutes to do it. I started with a very general conceptual solution done visually, and then wrote it up as executable code, while addressing bug and ways it could be made more efficient. Afterwards I was asked to execute the solution on the whiteboard as if I were an interpreter running the code, noting intermediate values and output.

I did not find the problem very difficult but I wanted to make sure I stayed engaged with the interviewer and talk out the solution while working on it, which is not how I typically code on my own.

Interview Questions

• Do an in-place (without allocating any extra memory) rearrangement of a list of integers, putting non-zero elements first.   5 Answers
    • Do you have any questions for us?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Facebook recruiters reached out to me. Process was vague, and it was clear they were trying to get me to be tempted into a role that was significantly junior to my current work. Even though I was clear about my career goals and expectations, they persisted in wasting my time over 3 weeks. I wouldn't call it baiting-and-switching, but it was clear that they were hoping to tempt me with the prospect of working at Facebook. Except... really? Facebook?

Interview Questions

• Could you submit <supporting materials here>?   1 Answer
    • Would you be willing to take a less senior role in order to learn how Facebook operates?   1 Answer

Application

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me in LinkedIn and setup a phone interview. There were 2 persons on the phone call during the interview. First I was asked to talk about myself and a specific feature that I developed at my current work. Then I jumped onto the coding problem on coderpad. I didn't like the attitude or the vibe that I got from the interviewers (only one person was talking to me on the phone). At the end when I was asking questions about FB, he gave me a very generalized info and didn't really show any enthusiasm which right away made me figure out that he wasn't happy. Also during the interview, I think he wanted to give me a bit difficult challenge but he couldn't really explain to me clearly and hence I didn't understand what exactly he wanted. But on the other hand the recruiter was outstanding. She called me twice before the interview and reviewed the practice that I was doing for the interview. Even after the interview, she called me and explained to me the result and possible things which I could work on for next time.

Interview Questions

• Design and write code for a queue system which would include enqueue, dequeue, etc.   1 Answer

User Experience Researcher Interview

Application

Interview

I was approached by a Facebook recruiter over email, I had no prior relationship. Technical interview via video, followed by an on-site. The whole process took about 5 months. Recruiter contact, call within a few weeks, video screen within a week or two of that, then a long delay of 6-7 weeks waiting for an on-site slot, ~3 weeks after receiving an offer to finish the process with other companies.

The technical interview was very by-the-book and focused on hypothetical scenarios. I don't think I was asked a single question about my own experience and background (although I worked bits of this in via my answers). I'm normally able to establish a good rapport in interviews – as a researcher this is part of my job – but my interviewer seemed to have a very strict process or else had places to be. This made it hard to gauge my performance, but I got a positive response within a few days.

Onsite began with a research presentation based on a prompt they gave me 1 week before the onsite – a hypothetical research scenario, NOT the standard job talk. I'm a mixed methods researcher but have been qualitatively focused for a few years now, so I was concerned about detailed quant questions and did a lot of review. I thought I'd need to be able to talk about sums of squares, maybe write out how an ANOVA worked. I didn't get any questions about this. A few questions about my survey methodology... I mentioned using Cronbach's alpha and that was it.

Across both interviews, Facebook was very focused on overseas research and emerging markets. I have no experience in this area and haven't worked with a research vendor and was not expecting these questions. I was honest about my lack of experience here, as well as my interest in the area. A key point my recruiter made which I think served me well was being honest about my skills: where I was an expert, where I had real experience, and where I would be learning new skills.

Facebook made a tremendous positive impression on me during the onsite. It absolutely feels like a smaller, more vibrant company than it should. Everyone I met with was excited about what they were doing and excited to talk to me as a potential colleague.

I got a positive response a few days later, followed by an extremely competitive first offer. I ended up accepting an offer at a different company where I wouldn't have to relocate, but it was a far harder decision than I anticipated.

Interview Questions

• This fantastic blog post (not mine) has a number of questions from Facebook and others. I was asked several questions from this list verbatim.

https://uxdesign.cc/46-interview-questions-for-user-experience-researchers-at-google-amazon-microsoft-and-facebook-c582827267b9   Answer Question

Operations Specialist Interview

Application

Interview

I had an excellent Facebook interview experience and felt engaged and taken care of throughout the process, though hearing back on the hiring decision took several days later than promised.

I had a friend refer me internally for the position. I was contacted by e-mail shortly after by a recruiter, followed by a phone screening with the recruiter. The next week, I had a phone interview with the hiring manager. Then about a month later, I had a video interview followed by an on-site interview. Before the interviews, I had a phone call with my recruiter to help prepare for the interviews.

My 30-minute video interview was with a team member in London. The first half was questions about my writing experience, and the second half was a writing and editing exercise.

I interviewed with three people on site, 30 minutes each, and met my recruiters several times during the day, including for lunch. The questions were challenging and related directly to examples of experiences in past and present positions.

I interviewed on a Monday and was told I'd hear back by the end of the week, but actually heard back the next Tuesday.

Interview Questions

• What is your 30, 60, 90 day and one year plan for this position?   1 Answer
    • Describe a time when you've had to mediate a conflict.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

Had an initial phone screen, some easy tree type questions and array questions. Next got the on site, it consisted of 4 different interviews. One was a behavioral while the other 3 were algorithms. Quite tough

Interview Questions

• Medium level leetcode I would say   1 Answer

Manager, Production Engineering Interview

Application

Interview

Phone screen with recruiter, followed by a very soft-skills focused in-person interview (1 hour) with a Sr. Manager. The next step is a technical phone interview, which hasn't happened yet (but is already scheduled).

Interview Questions

• What's the hardest thing you do in your current management job?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Began with a phone call from a recruiter at FB. Initial phone screen with a small over the phone quiz. Later, two algorithmic questions by a FB engineer via Coderpad. Very nice folks.

Interview Questions

• I need an algorithm that given a number combination returns me the alphabet(s) denoting that number.   1 Answer

Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

It was a great experience. The interviewer called me asking for some introductory information and then I was moved forward to the phone interviews. Two rounds each of 45 minutes with one being on SQL and the other on Python.
    Then I moved to onsite where there were three rounds each of which was scenario based and had to design and develop Data models. It was fun

Leadership Role In Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

Interview

Highly coordinated & communicative. Expectations were clear, role was clear. Gave great feedback and were direct and transparent. The recruiter stayed in touch with me via email and text and let me know who I would be meeting and what each person would be looking to focus on. Compared to many other interviews this was so clear and helpful in preparing me for the different meetings. Facebook has a reputation for being tough in the interview and it was thorough but overall a really fun and enjoyable experience. I felt that everyone was truly looking for the best interest of the team, dynamic and invested in the right decision. I loved that Facebook sent me a survey several weeks later asking for feedback on each of the interviewers and solicited input on what could be better. Never seen that before, wow!

Interview Questions

• Ethical questions - as a manager if you had a new employee that joined day one and HR called to tell you the employee had lied on their education background - what would you do?   Answer Question

See What Facebook Employees Are Saying

StarStarStarStarStar   Current Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

Pros: “I'm a software engineer who has been at Facebook for almost a year. It is hands down the best place I have ever worked. To be frank, I didn't have high expectations going in...”“I'm a software engineer who has been at Facebook for almost a year. It is hands down the best place I have ever worked. To be frank, I didn't have high expectations going in that it would be very different from the misogynistic cultures I've had to navigate at previous companies. Before working at Facebook, I'd kind of come to accept that being a female engineer would always be a somewhat isolating existence and the best I could do would be to find a team with 90% great colleagues and just try and avoid the creepy and rude ones as much as possible. I'd seen that as long as they performed well (or held some other utilitarian value for the company) they would always have a place in a company and their treatment of women would be an open secret and accepted. Honestly, my first couple months at Facebook made me aware of how much effort I'd been spending navigating those types of situations. It's incredible working with people who assume your competence rather than constantly having to battle to prove yourself. It's amazing seeing constant efforts towards dissecting internalized biases and senior male employees openly discussing their efforts to catch themselves unconsciously interrupting people. It's laughable to try to imagine this happening at my previous companies. It's so precious being able to find a place where you can just focus on your work.” – Full Review