Facebook Interview Questions in Seattle, WA | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 11, 2017

3.1

Machine Learning Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

Recruiter found me on LinkedIn. One technical phone-screening (coding) than lunch with someone who works for the company and 5 interviews on-site, including 2 coding interviews, 1 PhD research, 1 ML design and systems design.

Android Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

Interview process was very streamlined and well defined before hand from the HR.
    I was reached out to by HR from Facebook and upon agreeing for a specified date for a initial phone screen verbal interview from HR person. On the day of verbal phone screen round where a set of questions were posted which were easy to answer if you knew the concepts of Android pretty well and how it worked and so forth. I have copy pasted the questions from one of the previous posts here and luckily i was asked the same questions. Not sure who got the exact questions out here but thanks for the help. Right answers are also marked below the options mentioned.
    Once i cleared the initial verbal phone screen, then i had a phone technical coding interview with one of their engineers from Seattle WA,
    Interviewer asked me what is difference between Activity and a Fragment ?
    Which i did answer to him satisfactorily .
    Next he moved on to the coding question using the screen share tool which they had shared initially before after first phone interview.

The phone technical question is posted in the last.

Even though i did not selected to onsite interview which i did expect to get it despite doing so well. But anyways if this post helps to whom so ever who is applying for Android Developer role, please follow through and get to the destination. May the force be with you .

Interview Questions

• Your photo-sharing app displays a system notification when the user receives a photo. Your app should display the photo when the user taps the notification. Which of the following do you need to attach to the Notification object that you pass to NotificationManager?   2 Answers
    • You’re writing a monitoring app that periodically checks if a website is up. Of those listed below, what is the BEST way to schedule these periodic checks?   2 Answers
    • You want to trigger an animation half a second after a user taps a button. The BEST way to do this is to:   2 Answers
    • Which one of the following is true by default of a Service declared in your manifest?   2 Answers
    • You want your messaging app to appear as an option in the intent chooser when a user shares content in another application. To do this, you MUST do which of the following?   2 Answers
    • 1. Write a method which checks if a String is a palindrome and returns a boolean value.   2 Answers
    • 1. Write a method which checks if a String is a palindrome and returns a boolean value. with differing inputs for handling a Palindromic sentence.   2 Answers

Production Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

FB contacted me to ask me to chat with them about their PE role. I contacted them a few years ago, and said that the interview process was too aimed at jr engineers for me. They assured me they had changed the initial tech questions, but they were about the same. These questions would be cake for someone who just finished their BA degree, but silly for someone who's 10-15 years into their career and mostly focused on automation. There were no questions about coding, automation, writing sql queries or config management, they were all on linux basics or networking. They turned me down on the call for the position, and suggested I spend less time automating and more time focusing on stuff far below my skill level. Complete waste of my time, and mildly insulting. They really need a second set of much harder questions for more sr engineers.

Interview Questions

• Where is the dns file located?   2 Answers
    • What signal do you send a service to end it?   1 Answer
    • What is the type of record that resolves urls to ip records?   1 Answer
    • Under ps, what are three states that a service can be in?   1 Answer
    • Out of the 5-6 states you can find under ps, which two takes up system memory?   1 Answer
    • If 0 is STDIN and 1 is STDOUT, what's 2?   1 Answer

Research Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Redmond, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

The interview process was good. The HR was professional with very quick follow up. The interviewer could ask very good question regarding your description on the CV and your research background.

Interview Questions

• Introduce you research in the laboratory.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA).

Interview

As far as difficulty, interview was pretty standard. Facebook has a very low tolerance for bugs/mistakes, so definitely test hard!

Having received offers from major companies (Google, Microsoft and Amazon) and having 8+ years experience at one of these, I feel reasonably confident in saying I wasn't challenged. Instead, the whole process felt like an exam, and most interviewers behaved like examiners, not collaborators.

There was very little discussion or debate. During 4 coding rounds, the interviewers took a backseat right after they gave me the problem statement. After I was done coding, the interviewers examined my code and stated their objections to it, such as:

- There's a wrong variable name that won't let your code compile
    - Please don't use your own utility functions, I've provided you with a few
    - Your code doesn't meet my contract exactly (I did implement an optimization, with the verbal agreement that the client didn't need the extra data)
    - In my system design round, I was asked to scale out a complicated data structure. I did make reasonable progress, but the interviewer and I were playing catch-up for the entire interview

Two interviewers told me to implement a 'silly' protocol, or a 'silly' class. This clearly makes it an exam, and not a true discussion/debate since it is not possible to make many logical arguments.

Interview Questions

• I'm under NDA, but this is not very different from any other tech interview   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

I was brought in for an onsite screening interview. All of the prep material that was sent to me emphasized the importance of creating a conversation with the interviewer, which I agree with. However, during the interview, my interviewer told me the problem to solve and then just went completely silent aside from answering yes/no to my questions about the problem. I get that there's less to talk about during a screening interview, but it came across as extremely unfriendly and probably resulted in wasted time as I just talked my way through the problem to no particular end.

Interview Questions

• Search for an item in a sorted, but rotated, array.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

Spoke with the recruiter over the phone and was invited for a screening, which I chose to do onsite at a whiteboard. Recruiter gave a quick tour and then I spent about 45 minutes with a senior engineer doing some whiteboard coding, followed by talking about Facebook. Although I didn't move on to a full onsite, it was a positive experience and I enjoyed meeting with the interviewer.

Interview Questions

• Variation on a LeetCode hard question.   1 Answer

Product Design Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

First round is a 30 minute phone screening with a design recruiter, and then two back to back 45 min interviews (portfolio review, app critique) with product designers and a product design manager on video conference.

Interview Questions

• How did you achieve this goal with your design decision?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA).

Interview

There was a phone screen which lasted under 30 minutes followed by a day on the Seattle campus where there was an hour long interview, campus tour, and lunch. When I went there were 5 other people going through the process with me on the same day.

Interview Questions

• Given two words and a dictionary, print the path from one word to the next changing one letter at a time   3 Answers

Software Engineering New Grad Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA) in November 2016.

Interview

I contacted a recruiter through Linkedin. The recruiter got back to me and gave me the email of the person in charge of interviewing the students of my school. I sent an email to the guy in charge and he got back to me in 15 mins. He let me know that he will be forwarding my resume and I will hear back for an interview. I had a 1 hour phone interview with a software engineer. Unfortunately, I did not go further than this.

Interview Questions

• Given a decimal number, find the number of 1s in its binary representation? Follow up: Can u solve this in O(1) run time and O(1) space.   3 Answers