Facebook Interview Questions in Seattle, WA | Glassdoor

Facebook Interview Questions in Seattle, WA

Updated Feb 21, 2017

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA).

Interview

As far as difficulty, interview was pretty standard. Facebook has a very low tolerance for bugs/mistakes, so definitely test hard!

Having received offers from major companies (Google, Microsoft and Amazon) and having 8+ years experience at one of these, I feel reasonably confident in saying I wasn't challenged. Instead, the whole process felt like an exam, and most interviewers behaved like examiners, not collaborators.

There was very little discussion or debate. During 4 coding rounds, the interviewers took a backseat right after they gave me the problem statement. After I was done coding, the interviewers examined my code and stated their objections to it, such as:

- There's a wrong variable name that won't let your code compile
    - Please don't use your own utility functions, I've provided you with a few
    - Your code doesn't meet my contract exactly (I did implement an optimization, with the verbal agreement that the client didn't need the extra data)
    - In my system design round, I was asked to scale out a complicated data structure. I did make reasonable progress, but the interviewer and I were playing catch-up for the entire interview

Two interviewers told me to implement a 'silly' protocol, or a 'silly' class. This clearly makes it an exam, and not a true discussion/debate since it is not possible to make many logical arguments.

Interview Questions

• I'm under NDA, but this is not very different from any other tech interview   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

I was brought in for an onsite screening interview. All of the prep material that was sent to me emphasized the importance of creating a conversation with the interviewer, which I agree with. However, during the interview, my interviewer told me the problem to solve and then just went completely silent aside from answering yes/no to my questions about the problem. I get that there's less to talk about during a screening interview, but it came across as extremely unfriendly and probably resulted in wasted time as I just talked my way through the problem to no particular end.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

Spoke with the recruiter over the phone and was invited for a screening, which I chose to do onsite at a whiteboard. Recruiter gave a quick tour and then I spent about 45 minutes with a senior engineer doing some whiteboard coding, followed by talking about Facebook. Although I didn't move on to a full onsite, it was a positive experience and I enjoyed meeting with the interviewer.

Interview Questions

• Variation on a LeetCode hard question.   1 Answer

Product Design Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

First round is a 30 minute phone screening with a design recruiter, and then two back to back 45 min interviews (portfolio review, app critique) with product designers and a product design manager on video conference.

Interview Questions

• How did you achieve this goal with your design decision?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA).

Interview

There was a phone screen which lasted under 30 minutes followed by a day on the Seattle campus where there was an hour long interview, campus tour, and lunch. When I went there were 5 other people going through the process with me on the same day.

Interview Questions

• Given two words and a dictionary, print the path from one word to the next changing one letter at a time   2 Answers

Software Engineering New Grad Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA) in November 2016.

Interview

I contacted a recruiter through Linkedin. The recruiter got back to me and gave me the email of the person in charge of interviewing the students of my school. I sent an email to the guy in charge and he got back to me in 15 mins. He let me know that he will be forwarding my resume and I will hear back for an interview. I had a 1 hour phone interview with a software engineer. Unfortunately, I did not go further than this.

Interview Questions

• Given a decimal number, find the number of 1s in its binary representation? Follow up: Can u solve this in O(1) run time and O(1) space.   3 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA) in November 2016.

Interview

First, I was contacted by the recruiter after being referred by a Facebook employee. We had a brief conversation about my background and future plans, and then he gave me some preparation material and asked me to provide some dates for phone screenings.

I set up the phone screen after 2 weeks, the interview was 1 hour with 2 coding problems. The turnaround time for phone round was quick, the recruiter then followed up with the onsite interview process.

The onsite interview was total of 4 rounds of behavioral, system design, and coding problems. There was also a lunch with FB engineer during the onsite which doesn't count towards the interview feedback. Overall, the interview problems were of average difficulty and leetcode is a good resource for preparation.

It took around two weeks to hear back from the recruiter for the final decision, which was positive. The offer was pretty generous which I accepted.

2017 Summer Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA) in November 2016.

Interview

Applied on campus career fair and received an email confirmation telling me I get the first round phone screen after 2+ weeks. I had one question for the 45 min screen interview. Within 24 hours after the interview, I got an email said I made to the final onsite interview at Seattle. Then I had another 45 min onsite interview there in November 2016 right before the thanksgiving. After two weeks, I got a declined email.

Interview Questions

• Phone Screen: (DP problem)
      Given a string and a list of alphabetic letters, find the minimum length of substring that contains all the characters given in O(n) time.

Onsite (Tree):
      Convert a BST to a circular linked list
      1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

The speed at which the interviewing timeline happens is very welcome. Most companies take weeks to get feedback and then relay that decision to you. Facebook did this in a matter of days. This is definitely an advantage so they can snag top candidates before they commit to other companies. Overall, the process took 3 weeks from receiving an email about an on campus (university) interview to the final decision after an on-site interview.

I applied through the career fair at my university and received an on-campus interview the following week. I passed the on-campus interview and then went on-site in Seattle about a week later. During the on-site interview, I felt I choked and got too nervous. Overall, the questions were challenging, but nothing that was extremely difficult.

During the on-campus interview, it was structured that I was asked about my background for around 5-8 minutes, and then had a technical question, and then got to ask the interviewer any questions I had. However, during the on-site interview, the interviewer told me about himself, and then immediately told me we were going to try to get through 2 technical questions. We then started the questions and got through about 1.5 of them. It should have been possible to get through both if I was less nervous.

The biggest con to the overall process was the lack of interaction with my interviewer on the on-site interview. I felt he didn't get an accurate sense of my ability as an overall programmer and peer since there was no chance to introduce myself. Due to this, I didn't get a chance to converse even a little bit before doing the technical questions, which I think might have helped with relaxing a little bit.

Overall a good experience, but I wish there was a chance to be a little bit more personable with my on-site interviewer.

Interview Questions

• Print out a graph in column order, starting from left to right.   Answer Question
    • Implement a queue using a circular buffer.   Answer Question
    • Write a function that takes an integer and prints out the English text of it. ex. Input: 1432; Output: 'One thousand, four hundred thirty-two'   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

The process started when one of the recruiters reached out to me on LinkedIn. Pretty much asked me a few basic questions which took the place of the screening process and a couple days later I was contacted to set up a round of interviews over the phone. The phone interview was quite easy actually and the interviewer was super nice and helpful.

Two days later I was contacted again to set up onsite interviews. A couple days before the interview, one of their recruiters called me and told me absolutely everything I needed to know for the onsite interviews and what to expect. Right then it was evident that he really did care how well I did and I wasn't just another candidate.

The onsite interviews consisted on just a single 45 minute long technical interview along with a free lunch, tours around their Seattle offices, and a few presentations by some of their engineers.

Just a week later I got the call that I got an offer! Overall, Facebook was by far the best company I have ever interviewed with. They really try and take care of you and sell you the company, instead of just shuffling you through interviews. Because of my interview experience alone I decided to take the offer.

Interview Questions

• Easy leetcode/CTCI questions   1 Answer